My theory on Radagast.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

LiverpoolPaul
The Shire

Aug 16 2011, 3:35pm

Post #1 of 44 (2387 views)
Shortcut
My theory on Radagast. Can't Post

Sly McCoy recently said that he has a pivotal role in the hobbit movies, here's what I think (feel free to shoot it down)

He's dead... or will be.

We know from appendices and the like that Radagast the brown turned into something of a hermit later on, eventually disappearing entirely but what if PJ has taken some artistic licence on that?

What if during the siege of dol guldur (Is that right?) Sarumans corruption by Sauron was started there, and poor hapless Radagast found out about it, So he witnesses the head of his order dancing with the devil and well there's only one way to deal with a problem like that... Kill the sucker, hey presto radagast gone, Saruman free to head up the remaining istari while spying for the dark side and ultimately building up his own evil agenda... ties in nicely with LOTR dont you think? and it adds a nice shade of darkness to the light hearted theme of the Hobbit.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 16 2011, 3:47pm

Post #2 of 44 (1495 views)
Shortcut
Artistic License [In reply to] Can't Post

First welcome to the message boards here at TORn.

Artistic license very often leads to yea old shark jumping.

There is enough darkness in the Hobbit without manufacturing an apocryphal "Death of Radagast."

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Aug 16 2011, 4:45pm

Post #3 of 44 (1419 views)
Shortcut
Haldir, though. [In reply to] Can't Post

^^^ precedent for some license-taking. just saying.

"That doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, you are quite small. Perhaps you're right."

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 16 2011, 4:48pm

Post #4 of 44 (1390 views)
Shortcut
I did not care for the whole Elves at Helms Deep concept.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

LiverpoolPaul
The Shire

Aug 16 2011, 5:45pm

Post #5 of 44 (1362 views)
Shortcut
Either way [In reply to] Can't Post

Who's to say that my Radagast theory isnt what actually happened inside Tolkiens legendiarium anyway? its filled with so many gray areas and loop holes such as Bilbo's 'lie' to account for his finding of the ring etc, I dunno I think its a good theory and if it comes to pass in the movie then you can all bow before me.

"Fool of a took! Next time throw yourself in and rid us of your stupidity"

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Aug 16 2011, 5:58pm

Post #6 of 44 (1352 views)
Shortcut
It definitely didn't happen in the books [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast was still alive at the time of Fellowship of the Ring. Saruman manipulated Radagast into sending Gandalf to Orthanc, but he did not kill him.

Bladerunner
Gondor

Aug 16 2011, 6:03pm

Post #7 of 44 (1288 views)
Shortcut
I didn't either... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have preferred if Elladan and Elrohir had been the only elves traveling to Helm's Deep.

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Aug 16 2011, 6:05pm

Post #8 of 44 (1320 views)
Shortcut
Canon or not...I thought it was a great moment in the movies. [In reply to] Can't Post

Played to the Last Alliance well, and that the elves weren't just sitting around, letting the world go to Hell before they left it.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Aug 16 2011, 6:08pm

Post #9 of 44 (1301 views)
Shortcut
I doubt we'll see him die. [In reply to] Can't Post

It just wouldn't play well, I don't think. Not to mention, there are subtle hints for Tolkien fans in the FotR, that he's the one that helps Gandalf escape Orthanc.

Maybe we'll get a "You can't win Sauron. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine" line. Then Sauron takes a swing at him, and Radagast's body disappears leaving only a pile of robes and a staff. Tongue

--J.R.R. Tolkien

Bladerunner
Gondor

Aug 16 2011, 6:21pm

Post #10 of 44 (1337 views)
Shortcut
As Flagg mentioned, Radagast was alive during LOTR.... [In reply to] Can't Post

My suspicion has been that the White Council will not escape Dol Guldur unscathed and that perhaps it would be Radagast who sustains some type of supernatural injury from which he would be healed with the aid of the other Council members. Saruman killing Radagast seems way too extreme, especially since without Saruman's contribution the Council apparently would not have had the wherewithal to expell the Necromancer from Dol Guldur.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Aug 16 2011, 6:39pm

Post #11 of 44 (1273 views)
Shortcut
or he dies, but comes back from Mandos in the form of a moth? // [In reply to] Can't Post

"That doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, you are quite small. Perhaps you're right."

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Aug 16 2011, 6:43pm

Post #12 of 44 (1334 views)
Shortcut
The books and the films take place in different universes [In reply to] Can't Post

As I've pointed out before, "Radagast can't die in TH movies because he was alive in LotR books" is a straw man and doesn't hold water. Sorry. Tongue

I would rather be watching Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" and Ridley Scott's "Prometheus"...it's going to be a long few years.

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Aug 16 2011, 6:56pm

Post #13 of 44 (1289 views)
Shortcut
not really sure how I feel about this... [In reply to] Can't Post

I quite like Radagast, but he's not in the cinematic LoTR so something may happen to him if going by the Hobbit films. This said, I do not fancy seeing his death as others have suggested. Personally, I do not feel Sauron in his Necromancer guise is powerful enough to kill an Istari during the Hobbit. Break them, sure, but kill... I can't visualize it.

I suppose I'm just thinking of the ring still being 'asleep' when Bilbo steals it.

and Welcome to the OP :)

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Aug 16 2011, 7:04pm

Post #14 of 44 (1283 views)
Shortcut
I was rather hoping he'd come back in the form of Paul McGann... [In reply to] Can't Post

* crunch *

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Aug 16 2011, 7:20pm

Post #15 of 44 (1245 views)
Shortcut
nicely done! (I had to look the name up, i admit) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 16 2011, 7:27pm

Post #16 of 44 (1224 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
We sang as the soft gold of Laurelin
And the bright silver of Telperion,
Brought forth the dawn of the world.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
In my torment I kept faith,
And I waited.
But you never came.
And when I returned you drew sword,
And when I called your names you drew bow.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
I will return your hatred,
And I am hungry.

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 16 2011, 7:31pm

Post #17 of 44 (1305 views)
Shortcut
Should Saruman be corrupted in The Hobbit? [In reply to] Can't Post

As squire has pointed out, if he goes bad in The Hobbit then Gandalf looks like an idiot for trusting him in the beginning of FOTR.

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
And I waited.
But you never came.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
And I am hungry.

Bladerunner
Gondor

Aug 16 2011, 8:30pm

Post #18 of 44 (1266 views)
Shortcut
Personally, I hope not.... [In reply to] Can't Post

for a couple of reasons:
  • it would be refreshing to see Saruman on the side of the good guys for a while, even if he agrees to help grudgingly and out of self-interest upon realizing that Sauron has been searching the Gladden Fields;
  • if he weren't corrupted, it would synch better with Tolkien's timeline, since Saruman doesn't use the palantir for the first time until years later. (Although, it can be argued that the film timelines do not need to be faithful to the book timelines, I think the closer the timelines match, the more integrity can be maintained in the film version of events).

(Your question could almost be a stand-alone post).

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Aug 16 2011, 8:40pm

Post #19 of 44 (1243 views)
Shortcut
IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

we should get a hint that Saruman covets and/or is impressed by Sauron's power, but he shouldn't "go bad" until FotR. That would keep the surprise of Saruman's betrayal intact for future generations who watch all five films in chronological order, while laying the "seed" for Saruman's corruption and giving us the novelty of seeing a Saruman who's allied with our heroes for once.

Also, remember that both Gandalf and Elrond were totally taken by surprise by Saruman's turn....it hadn't even occured to them that it was a possibility. Look at the dawning horror on Gandalf's face when Saruman reveals his true colors, or listen to the biterness in Elrond's voice when he says "our list of allies grows thin", (of course, Hugo's Elrond was usually bitter about something or other)! TongueTongue

I would rather be watching Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" and Ridley Scott's "Prometheus"...it's going to be a long few years.

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Aug 16 2011, 8:43pm)

Bladerunner
Gondor

Aug 16 2011, 8:47pm

Post #20 of 44 (1252 views)
Shortcut
Radagast and the Moth [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't picture Radagast as a moth or in particular as the moth in LOTR because the moth behaves too passively - Gandalf has to catch the moth and give it instructions. If the moth had been the embodiment of Radagast "he" (Radagast) would have had situational awareness (understood what was happening) and would have actively communicated with Gandalf informing him that he would send help. The way the sequence plays in the film, the moth behaves much too passively for that to have been the intention. At most, it would be more plausible to explain the moth after-the-fact as being a courier between Radagast, Gandalf and Gwaihir, since as an insignificant insect, it could fly "under the radar" of the enemy.

Bryan
Bree

Aug 16 2011, 8:58pm

Post #21 of 44 (1222 views)
Shortcut
A wizard cannot simply be killed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast could return a short while later and reveal Saruman's evil deeds.
On top of that it would ruin the connection of Radagast to the birds, eagles, and moth.
Saruman's turn and the first wizard death should be kept for FOTR.

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 16 2011, 9:06pm

Post #22 of 44 (1188 views)
Shortcut
And then... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Saruman hangs up Radagast's brown robe next to a couple of blue ones.

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
And I waited.
But you never came.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
And I am hungry.

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Aug 16 2011, 9:36pm

Post #23 of 44 (1192 views)
Shortcut
Hey, he's not called "Saruman of Many Colours" for nothing! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

He's been wearing his friends' robes and secretly pretending to be Gandalf, Radagast and the blue wizards when no one was watching in Orthanc. Angelic

--J.R.R. Tolkien

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 16 2011, 9:39pm

Post #24 of 44 (1145 views)
Shortcut
There's also that pink robe we just won't talk about. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
And I waited.
But you never came.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
And I am hungry.

pandoraziki
Rivendell

Aug 16 2011, 10:10pm

Post #25 of 44 (1223 views)
Shortcut
Haldir died in the book too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just not in Helm's Deep.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.