Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
BBC: Scalpay linen for Peter Jackson's The Hobbit

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Aug 15 2011, 7:27am

Post #1 of 16 (1723 views)
Shortcut
BBC: Scalpay linen for Peter Jackson's The Hobbit Can't Post

Cloth made on the Western Isles of Scotland is to feature in the new film The Hobbit.

Scalpay weaver Sheila Roderick has supplied about 100m (328ft) of linen for use in the latest screen adaption of author JRR Tolkien's books.

[Read More] [Scalpay Linens]

buckledcranium
The Shire

Aug 15 2011, 6:45pm

Post #2 of 16 (597 views)
Shortcut
Wow. [In reply to] Can't Post

We really are getting desperate for Hobbit News....

Scottish cloth is being used in the Hobbit.

Awesome.

I've read some exciting rumors of Martin Freeman's unpaid gas bills, rumors of irregularities of Ian McKellan's dental records, and - blow by blow break down's of Peter Jackson's tipping patterns in Wellington Restaurants...

I wonder how all of the above will affect the final film?

Can't wait for more .... keep me fully informed! Tongue

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Aug 15 2011, 8:37pm

Post #3 of 16 (495 views)
Shortcut
Snarkity snark! Heh... [In reply to] Can't Post

We have to keep ourselves assured that everything is going along just fine with production when there hasn't been any news since July 20th...Wink
I'm hoping we'll hear something soon from Peter, which is where the news seems to come from these days.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Aug 15 2011, 8:39pm

Post #4 of 16 (491 views)
Shortcut
This might be more interesting to those who are interested in costuming. [In reply to] Can't Post

Fabrics are a big deal when it comes to films. A fabric that can look great off film can look terrible on screen, so the types of fabrics used can dramatically affect how good the characters look on screen.

“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry. “Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 15 2011, 9:55pm

Post #5 of 16 (511 views)
Shortcut
It also helps those of us who recreate costumes [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't tell you how many times I've stared and stared at a costume trying to figure out just what fabric I should be starting with. Some of the fabrics used will never be available to the public at large (*cough*Eowyn's coronation gown*cough*) and some of them are impossible to find except through the original source (like the Fellowship cloak fabric). Sometimes other costumers will manage to stumble across the perfect fabric, buttons, shoes, whatever for a costume in a garment district somewhere, but mostly it's articles like these that will be some of the best starting points.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Aug 15 2011, 11:27pm

Post #6 of 16 (459 views)
Shortcut
agree with you and Taeko [In reply to] Can't Post

While the woman I pay to make costumes rarely lands the exact fabrics as seen on film, getting a clear look at the real thing is very helpful.

Besides, I really enjoy seeing every craft involved in bringing these characters to life.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Aug 16 2011, 1:25am

Post #7 of 16 (440 views)
Shortcut
Yes, and speaking of cloaks... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm one step closer to those. I'm going to order some of the Stansborough Grey roving to spin on my "new" NZ wheel, but I'm not ready to match that weave!, so I think I'll try for an Ori-inspired hooded scarf instead. :)

Who's the coverdwarf now, prettyboy!

NARF
NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Dlanor da Great
Rivendell

Aug 16 2011, 1:56am

Post #8 of 16 (391 views)
Shortcut
LMAO///// [In reply to] Can't Post

peleowyn
Rivendell

Aug 16 2011, 2:56am

Post #9 of 16 (432 views)
Shortcut
Love the wonderful Hobbit-Vogue cover! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I also found it fascinating to see what new fabric they will be using for Hobbit costumes - and intriguing to imagine what character(s) it will be for! and ... I have spent many an hour happily spinning Stansborough Grey roving on my NZ Wee Peggy! It also felts very well! Have fun!

"Look! There is light, and beauty up there, that no Shadow can touch!"

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Aug 16 2011, 3:28am

Post #10 of 16 (390 views)
Shortcut
*heh* Yeah, I kinda thought you would. ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

The bigger version is here. It was done pretty quickly, but maybe someday I'll put more time into an improved version.

If the supply is gone, I'll have to settle for a really good quality grey Gotland, but it'll still be fun.

Who's the coverdwarf now, prettyboy!

NARF
NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

peleowyn
Rivendell

Aug 16 2011, 3:58am

Post #11 of 16 (397 views)
Shortcut
Love it!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the better quality version! Can't wait to share that! I'm really looking forward to the fabrics in the Hobbit costumes ...the Stansborough has been such a treat to work with, while remembering the Lothlorien elves! I wonder if the Mirkwood ones will have a trademark fiber ...?

"Look! There is light, and beauty up there, that no Shadow can touch!"

mulubinba
Rivendell

Aug 16 2011, 7:08am

Post #12 of 16 (390 views)
Shortcut
Love it too!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Fantastic Vogue cover!! Thanks for sharing :)Smile

Bullroarer
Bree

Aug 16 2011, 5:05pm

Post #13 of 16 (312 views)
Shortcut
We really are getting desperate for Hobbit News.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Lol! So true...

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us- Gandalf to Frodo

Bullroarer
Bree

Aug 16 2011, 5:07pm

Post #14 of 16 (308 views)
Shortcut
WMPL! THIS IS FANTASTIC XD. NICE ONE! [In reply to] Can't Post

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us- Gandalf to Frodo

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Aug 16 2011, 7:15pm

Post #15 of 16 (289 views)
Shortcut
You laugh now... [In reply to] Can't Post

but the selling of this roll of linen means that Scottish exports are up by 500% this year. This is big news.

* crunch *

alienorchid
Lorien

Aug 18 2011, 8:41am

Post #16 of 16 (364 views)
Shortcut
I actually wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

if he does tip when going out for dinner. Tipping isn't really part of NZ's culture but seeing as he's super rich, maybe he does anyway? :P

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.