Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
"Shortcut to 'shrooms on a Snowy Evening", a poem

Gerontius
The Shire

Jul 28 2011, 3:13pm

Post #1 of 25 (1404 views)
Shortcut
"Shortcut to 'shrooms on a Snowy Evening", a poem Can't Post

Hi, some of you may remember me from the old Torn forums when LotR was coming out. Yes, it's the same old Gerontius.

I'm not hanging around, although I might drop by from time to time. I just had some inspiration for a poem and thought I'd share it here. Hope it raises a smile or two. If you're very unlucky, I might post a couple of my old ones.

If you remember me, hope you're keeing well. I'll watch this thread, so say hi!

Shortcut to 'shrooms on a Snowy Evening
By Gerontius (after Robert Frost)

What spores these are, I do not know,
But 'shrooms are good for eating, so
Here I will dig 'til they're revealed:
Those mushrooms hidden in the snow.

My little bag will soon be filled
With mushrooms from this snowy field.
And I am sure they will be nice
When baked or boiled or fried or grilled.

Mushrooms cooked in lots of spice
On beds of pasta, lakes of rice.
The diners call for second rounds!
For mushrooms are their only vice.

And though the mushrooms might abound
Right now they're hidden in the ground
So I will dig till they are found.
So I will dig till they are found.

G

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2011, 5:24pm

Post #2 of 25 (920 views)
Shortcut
Very nicely done. And I remember you.// [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Gollum the Great
Rohan

Jul 28 2011, 5:58pm

Post #3 of 25 (915 views)
Shortcut
WOW [In reply to] Can't Post

I LOVE this! it's wonderful!

I think I'm going to have to memorize this one, and I'd love it if you posted some old ones!

Mushrooms ROCK!

Lord Sméagol? Gollum the Great? The Gollum! Eat fish every day, three times a day; fresh from the sea. Most Precious Gollum!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 28 2011, 6:16pm

Post #4 of 25 (949 views)
Shortcut
Gerontius! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great poem, I like it! It's the sort of thing I can picture Bilbo writing, or teaching to the young hobbits of the neighborhood.

Of course I remember you. It's great to see you around here again! Please do stop in as often as you can. We'd love to see more of you.Smile

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 28 2011, 6:49pm

Post #5 of 25 (914 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoyed that...and relate to that....come to think of it, i got this huge Portabella mushroon in the frig i forgot about...and it lunch timeSmile

Thanks Gerontius, glad to see you around.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 28 2011, 7:17pm

Post #6 of 25 (950 views)
Shortcut
So it takes 13 short, hairy men with swords [In reply to] Can't Post

and a poetic fungi to get you mixing with the old crowd again? :D

It's great to see you G! Welcome back - even if it's only occasionally.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jul 28 2011, 8:23pm

Post #7 of 25 (919 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the fun poem... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and thanks for popping in to say hello. We miss your pixels -- and would love to see some of the older poems again.

Now why am I suddenly so hungry for mushrooms....

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Gaffer
The Shire

Jul 28 2011, 8:41pm

Post #8 of 25 (913 views)
Shortcut
Gereeting Gerontius! You may have heard [In reply to] Can't Post

They're making more Tolkien movies! Isn't that awesome?

----------------------------------------------------
Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
--Solid Jackson-- (from Terry Pratchett's "Jingo")

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jul 28 2011, 8:45pm

Post #9 of 25 (912 views)
Shortcut
Love it! I remember you, too! // [In reply to] Can't Post

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 28 2011, 9:18pm

Post #10 of 25 (919 views)
Shortcut
Lovely, and welcome back!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great to see you, Gerontius. How's things?

Boardwalk in mangroves

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 28 2011, 9:28pm

Post #11 of 25 (906 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's not an easy rhyme scheme to follow. You did a great job. Thanks for sharing it! And it's great to see you here again. I hope you'll pop in more often.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 28 2011, 9:44pm

Post #12 of 25 (922 views)
Shortcut
Well, hello there, old friend! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to see you back in these parts again. Smile Please do stick around! We need people of intelligence on this new mission...quest...thing. Wink

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 28 2011, 10:32pm

Post #13 of 25 (890 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back, Gerontius! Lovely poem. // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Gerontius
The Shire

Jul 28 2011, 11:58pm

Post #14 of 25 (979 views)
Shortcut
Postings by Trolls on a Quiet Evening [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm scared by how many people I remember who are still around, and that I still remember you after all this time. Half of you perhaps not half as well as you deserve... you know the rest...

Anyway. Robert Frost's poem was always my favourite to riff off of, so here's another one. This was written in a dark age when there was no news of the upcoming Return of the King film and everyone was waiting for the release of the Two Towers Extended Edition (TT EE). The boards were quiet apart from occasional flame wars.

Seems quite a different story here. 18 months until the Hobbit comes out and the rumour mill is a-blazing!

Postings by Trolls on a Quiet Evening
By Gerontius (After Robert Frost)

Whose post this is, I do not know,
It soon will be deleted though.
Yes, soon this post will disappear
And thus retain the status quo.

The admins all must find it drear
With posts by trolls now sprinkled here.
The other posts say nothing new
The slowest evening of the year.

With posts O.T. and language blue
They cause offense to me and you.
But then, there's nothing else to see:
With topics old, and rumours few.

These trolls will leave soon, leave us be,
They'll vanish almost instantly.
One month to go: TT EE
One month to go! TT EE!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 29 2011, 12:45am

Post #15 of 25 (888 views)
Shortcut
Bravo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Love them both!

Welcome back, Gerontius. Hope to see you around more. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 29 2011, 3:05am

Post #16 of 25 (964 views)
Shortcut
These take the cake - with Frost-ing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome back, Gerontius, you come at the turn of the tide (just after the first official release of Hobbit pics). Have you had a chance to get acquainted with the look of the Dwarves yet?

*applause* for both poems! Who'd've thunk that mushrooms could turn a snowy day into an epicurean delight with the touch of a master parodist's hand? And I'm going to be chuckling for a long time about the Trolls on a quiet evening (you've missed some wild troll attacks!).

Stay a while, put your feet up, there's still a Fiesta each Friday! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 29 2011, 8:58am

Post #17 of 25 (898 views)
Shortcut
*flying tackle-hug* Wow!! HI!! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so great to see you safe and sound... AND bearing gifts!!! :D

Love your poem!! I'm so glad you've been inspired to write and come share it with us! Would you believe I had fried 'shrooms, onion & garlic for dinner? yummmmmm....

Don't be a stranger... it's great to have you back!

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 29 2011, 9:00am

Post #18 of 25 (906 views)
Shortcut
Thar be trolls here, fersher [In reply to] Can't Post

but you've got it right that our admins keep them at bay.

*applause whilst smiling* You still rock, G!!!

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jul 29 2011, 6:02pm

Post #19 of 25 (871 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah, I remember those heady days, with the TT EE coming soon, and RotK soon on its heels. I'd just as soon not remember the trolls, though. Thank goodness for our efficient admins and their even-more-efficient brooms!

Yes, things seem to be a lot busier here these days.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Gerontius
The Shire

Jul 29 2011, 6:40pm

Post #20 of 25 (885 views)
Shortcut
Hello, hello [In reply to] Can't Post

Wish I could say hello individually to everyone who's posting here, but there's just too many of you.

Is the Grammaboodawg Apprection Society still going? I need some GAS!

Jonathan the Elf
Rivendell

Jul 29 2011, 9:51pm

Post #21 of 25 (868 views)
Shortcut
Encore! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good stuff. I’m a relatively new Tolkien fan so I don’t remember you. Buy it’s great to here Tolkien fans that aren’t Fools of a Took. Hope to see you around. I to like writing poetry, I’m not so good on the rhyming part.

Jonathan the Elf (fan)

“How shall a man judge what to do in such times? Yea ask. As he ever has judged, good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another thing among . It is a man’s part to discern them, as much as in the Golden woods an in his own house” said Aragorn

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 29 2011, 11:02pm

Post #22 of 25 (867 views)
Shortcut
Your encore can be found... [In reply to] Can't Post

...here. Cool

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 30 2011, 1:34am

Post #23 of 25 (857 views)
Shortcut
It's good to meet you, and I'm loving your poems! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm picky about poems too, so the fact that I like them says a lot about your writing! I'm looking forward to seeing more!

“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry. “Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

Gerontius
The Shire

Jul 30 2011, 9:44am

Post #24 of 25 (867 views)
Shortcut
I've realised something [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't read the Hobbit in over 20 years. It's there gathering dust next to the Silmarillion Tongue

I've got a two week holiday coming up, so I guess I know what book I'll be taking. Maybe then I'll find some things to say and start contributing properly to the boards.

shirehobbit
Rivendell

Aug 6 2011, 5:02pm

Post #25 of 25 (942 views)
Shortcut
I love poetry [In reply to] Can't Post

I have writen some and won a few prizes for some. I'll post a few when I get the chance. That is if you all would like that. I have LOTR themed ones.Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.