Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Do you have a driver's license?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Do you have a driver's license?
Yes, of course! It's a must.
No, I'm perfectly fine without it. There are better transportation methods than driving
View Results (58 votes)

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 27 2011, 5:34pm

Post #26 of 47 (236 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to in my line of work.

But even if I didn't have to, and if I didn't even have a car, I'd still have one. Just in case.

Oiotįri
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2011, 5:35pm

Post #27 of 47 (277 views)
Shortcut
Yes, unfortunately [In reply to] Can't Post

you can get your license here at 16, but I avoided it as long as I could (read: as long as my parents would let me). I was 18 when I got it, and I haven't driven at all since. Biking is my favorite form of transportation, but unfortunately it doesn't work so well in the winter here, so then I walk. I really hate driving and so avoid if at all possible. Though unfortunately I will almost certainly have to buy a car in the next couple years Frown

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Jul 27 2011, 6:44pm

Post #28 of 47 (272 views)
Shortcut
Yes, and I'd never be without my own car if possible. [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to get in and go at *my* convenience, not the convenience of the bus company. Plus, who wants to ride with a bunch of strangers of questionable hygiene practices?
When I was in college, I rode the city bus all over town, and hated it. I was so thankful when I finally could afford a car and go by myself.
Same thing in high school. I had to ride the school bus for over an hour after school let out. If I'd had my own car, I would have been home in 15 minutes.
Hate, hate, hate public transportation!

macfalk
Valinor

Jul 27 2011, 7:38pm

Post #29 of 47 (289 views)
Shortcut
I suppose it depends [In reply to] Can't Post

Hate, hate, hate public transportation!

Over here it's usually faster to take the subway/bus at least in the city because of the amount of traffic. By taking car the risk of getting stuck for a considerable amount of time is high. Maybe the public transportation is particulary lacking in your area because here it really flows fast, the subway trains come all the time and so forth... probably where all the tax money goes Cool And it's always the better choice from an environmental point of view.

I'm 19 now, and neither of my friends of the same age have got a drivers license either... I guess there is a big difference around the world about this stuff!

Gollum the Great
Rohan

Jul 27 2011, 8:52pm

Post #30 of 47 (230 views)
Shortcut
hey I'm not the only one! [In reply to] Can't Post

personally I don't really like driving. You can't enjoy the stuff around you if you have to worry about the speed limit and hitting people and not getting hit, etc.

GlowWorm
Bree

Jul 27 2011, 8:56pm

Post #31 of 47 (221 views)
Shortcut
I have one [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't tend to use it though unless I have no other choice.

I agree with Gollum the Great as those are my sentiments exactly

(This post was edited by GlowWorm on Jul 27 2011, 9:01pm)

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Jul 27 2011, 11:34pm

Post #32 of 47 (289 views)
Shortcut
You know, it might be a cultural thing. In America basically everyone [In reply to] Can't Post

Has a car and the public transportation is rather lacking unless you're in a large city. Peopl are use to driving themselves places and we have places to park so, its not an inconvenience. Whereas, in your country it sounds like it's not very practical to drive your own car.

Same with when people are allowed to get their liscense. For you it's odd that fourteen year olds are allowed to get their permit but, it's not a big deal for us because we see a lot.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 28 2011, 9:39pm

Post #33 of 47 (255 views)
Shortcut
There aren't many public transportation options out here in the Wild West. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there's a bus from the town where I live to the town where I work. But it would add two hours to my half-hour commute if I took it. I say "I think" because there was talk of shutting it down, for lack of ridership.

In town I often ride a bicycle.

I was tempted to give up driving when I was seventeen and a twelve-year-old girl darted out in front of me on a bike and I hit her and badly injured her. I didn't drive for two years after that. But my parents needed me to run errands like grocery shopping for them, and I reluctantly took it up again.

riderofrohan410
The Shire

Jul 28 2011, 9:50pm

Post #34 of 47 (245 views)
Shortcut
I have one [In reply to] Can't Post

I have my license, but only because I had to get it. I'm none too fond of driving. But in order to get anywhere where I live I need to drive. I much prefer walking though. If only it weren't so stinking hot!Shocked

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 29 2011, 12:02am

Post #35 of 47 (240 views)
Shortcut
Need more choices: [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes but I prefer biking etc when driving myself isn't absolutely necessary. The thing about Canada and the way it is set up is usually you live no where near where you work or go to school. Then there's the rural folks needing to get into town with very few options but to drive (especially since we've been pulling up railroads more than we have been developing/improving them over the past few decades.)

Hey macfalk long time...

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jul 29 2011, 12:02am)

batik
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2011, 1:55am

Post #36 of 47 (244 views)
Shortcut
Option 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

....the job I have is located just under 20 miles from my home and requires quite a bit a travel to meet with clients so...it's a must!
I Amtrak'ed to NYC a few years ago and really liked the subway system there. I was in Dallas last year and liked the light rail system there. But...this was a temporary thing so I have no idea if I would *like* either system on a daily basis. Public transportation is next to zero in the town where I live. A couple of the larger towns have transit systems with less than full service...as in no Sunday service and last run is about 8pm on the other days. Not a lot of help if a person is going to/from work outside of those hours.
On a funny (sad) note---after the NYC trip, I had a job located within easy walking distance of a few eateries. Several times I walked over for lunch. Once someone pulled over and asked if I needed a ride; other times folks just looked at me funny! Tongue

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 29 2011, 7:27am

Post #37 of 47 (239 views)
Shortcut
How about stagecoach? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can just see you on one of those. Wink

But seriously, that accident must have been an awful experience. Well done for getting back on the horse, so to speak.

sador
Half-elven

Jul 29 2011, 8:26am

Post #38 of 47 (245 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Public transport here leaves a lot to be desired.
The nice thing is that my wife works very near where I do, so you usually drive together - and on the way back, she takes the car (as she needs to be on time when the kids finish school), and I get home by a combination of walking/bussing/hitchiking/car-pooling with friends.

A problem with having a license is that driving is so convenient, its difficult to retuen to other modes of transport. My mother got her license at a pretty advanced age, and we lived just next to a bus-stop where every fifteen minutes there was a bus to town. However, a couple of years after buying a car, she hardly ever took the bus to work - all of a sudden, she couldn't do without the flexibility, comfort and feel of controling her schedule, which she didn't miss before!

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jul 30 2011, 9:18pm

Post #39 of 47 (219 views)
Shortcut
Sorry macfalk... [In reply to] Can't Post

It is not always the better choice.

One reason it's so popular in Europe is because of the very small distances it has to travel, high taxes as you mention to keep the systems viable, and particularly high petrol prices.

Here in the U.S. the distances alone will bankrupt most public transport systems and then one must add in a MUCH higher population factor (even Russia only does public transport in major cities) and that creates high congestion that buses and subways cannot wade through efficiently.
The issue of transport at one's convenience and not a company's cannot be overstated either. If my son were seriously injured I can get him to hospital in five minutes. It would take longer than that for an ambulance to be dispatched, much less arrive and then take him to the nearest hospital.
Besides, for those worried about carbon footprint:
http://www.teslamotors.com/models
Yeah, it's expensive, but as my Saturn is 11 years old and has 205,000 miles (@330,000 km) on it that's my next car. HeartSmile

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2011, 12:46am

Post #40 of 47 (254 views)
Shortcut
There are some cities in the US where it's better to take public transportation [In reply to] Can't Post

In cities like New York or even San Francisco (depending on where in the city you're going), it's usually better to use public transportation/walk/bike/etc. Part of this is traffic, but part is also parking. Parking in San Francisco, especially downtown, is extremely expensive and getting worse.

Then you have cities like Los Angeles, where everything is so spread out, you don't have much of a choice. Plus, their public transportation isn't as good.

If I were living and working in San Francisco proper, I'd almost never drive my car. My current job includes having to drive also, so I don't have much of a choice right now. Even living outside of the city like I do, the public transportation isn't too bad, but with the continuing recession, a lot of public transportation is being reduced. Plus, in my area, there are some paranoid people on the wealthier side who don't want public transportation near them because they think it will bring in homeless people and gang members. Which, by the way, is stupid, because there are homeless people and gang members in the area already, they're just too blind to read the graffiti properly.

Sometimes the politics behind public transportation in the U.S. can be kind of complicated.

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Jul 31 2011, 2:19pm

Post #41 of 47 (224 views)
Shortcut
I do not--yet [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a permit, but I really don't drive much, and my mum wants me to start driving more so that I can have enough experience and get a license, with all the theatre I do I need to drive. There's really not a lot in the way of walking distance for me, and there is no public transportation cause I'm not in a big city.
I don't like to drive, but I suppose I shall have to.

Marionette
Rohan

Jul 31 2011, 8:27pm

Post #42 of 47 (265 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, of course Cool

I drive since I was 18 (The age limits here)
I have an old modest 1993 car right now, probably I will be adding a pic to my profile cuz I love it, and I can“t live without it Tongue
The city is way too dangerous and extremely crowded, it helps a lot to have a car but it can be dangerous as well... But well, so far it“s better to have a car.

Honestly I think the 80% of people are just way too much unmature for driving between 18-30 years old, I have never been like that (I am since a young age a very conscious person) but I see with certain concern the rest of people aren“t like that.

So, it depends.
But every one must know very well driving is a huge responsability.

(This post was edited by Marionette on Jul 31 2011, 8:29pm)

Elen

Aug 2 2011, 8:10am

Post #43 of 47 (201 views)
Shortcut
I have [In reply to] Can't Post

but didn't get it untill I was 26. Then I used my boyfriend's car to go to my teaching job with slides, slide projector and eventually a baby in the back seat.
I quit that job and haven't used the car much for years because I was able to bike to my work (and collect kids on the way back).

Since a year I have a new job (consultant) that comes with a car. And boy do I drive.
Do I like it? No. I feel kind of guiltyUnsure about the extra pollution, so maybe I am going to look for a job that doesn't involve all this driving.
The upside is I am a much better and safer driver now that I 've driven dayly for more than a year.Sly

So what should you learn from this? I don't know, you tell me ...

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2011, 9:26am

Post #44 of 47 (173 views)
Shortcut
No way! I travel by Eagle [In reply to] Can't Post

LittleTook
The Shire

Aug 3 2011, 5:15pm

Post #45 of 47 (198 views)
Shortcut
In Alaska you kind of need a car... [In reply to] Can't Post

In the town I live in (not huge, but not tiny either) there is no real public transportation and taxi's are too expensive. If you don't have a car up here things can be tough because of long distances and winter weather. I managed to avoid driving and getting a license until I was almost 19, but then it became necessary and I had to get one. It helped that my sister had been kind enough to give me her old station wagon when she bought a new car so I had that incentive sitting in the backyard, waiting. Now I wonder how I ever got along without a car before and being able to drive myself here and there while listening to music like Beecake too loudly! Tongue

GAndyalf
Valinor

Aug 3 2011, 6:20pm

Post #46 of 47 (175 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, LittleTook! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I expect driving in Alaska is a Barrow of laughs, if you take my Point! Gotta be careful of the Nomes running around there, though the hobbity name of Fairbanks is good! Juneau I'm only kidding with these Alaska city-name puns, right?

Loki's Mom

Aug 4 2011, 11:13pm

Post #47 of 47 (302 views)
Shortcut
I live in a commuter community, so it's a must where I live.. [In reply to] Can't Post

As others have said, it depends on where you live. In my city, public transport (bus) isn't too bad, but I work 30 miles away and would need to take three different bus systems just to get there (3-4 hours?). Not feasible.

I actually enjoy driving (well, on the highway) but avoid driving in nearby Toronto if I can because I hate driving there (it's insane) and finding a parking spot is never fun, easy, or cheap. Crazy I usually take the train into Toronto and then use the subway and walk (although my feet are never happy with me at the end of the day). Tongue

LM

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.