The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
"I pity even his slaves"?

Fionnan2
Rivendell

Aug 22 2007, 8:55pm

Post #1 of 7 (1366 views)
Shortcut
"I pity even his slaves"? Can't Post

When Gandalf says this,does he mean that he has sympathy for orcs and trolls?

Fionnan

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Aug 22 2007, 11:44pm

Post #2 of 7 (1202 views)
Shortcut
He also had... [In reply to] Can't Post

human slaves.

orcbane
Gondor

Aug 23 2007, 12:25am

Post #3 of 7 (1184 views)
Shortcut
I don't remember that line... [In reply to] Can't Post

can you tell me where it is ?

But as to the idea, I think he could. I just listened to Luthien saying something like 'sleep oh woebegone spirit and forget bitter life for a while'.

Penthe
Gondor

Aug 23 2007, 12:40am

Post #4 of 7 (1171 views)
Shortcut
Pity [In reply to] Can't Post

Pity is an incredibly strong power in LOTR, much more so than in real life where it sometimes seems to be a more negative than positive emotion. Eowyn exists in a real world paradigm, where Gandalf embodies the Middle-Earth values, I guess.

So pitying the slaves of Sauron, and even pitying the great evil powers themselves, is a choice of great strength as well as something to indicate the general goodness and niceness of the character speaking the words. Pity gives moral power over those pitied, I think. It gives an option for victory without destruction and bitterness.

Beren IV
Gondor

Aug 23 2007, 12:49am

Post #5 of 7 (1175 views)
Shortcut
I would only assume the answer to be 'yes'. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Gandalf says this to Denethor. The context is that Denethor is proposing that the Ring be kept under lock and key in the dungeons of Minas Tirith where it could do no harm, and if Sauron managed to break in and get it anyway, the Men of Gondor wouldn't be troubled by it because Sauron had to kill them to get at it. The contrast, of course, is that Denethor pities only the people of Gondor, and really only his family and his soldiers.

I don't know what Gandalf's opinion of the optimal thing to do with an orc who is completely in one's power would be, to put it out of its misery or to try to reform it. It depends on your interpretation of what the orcs represent.

Once a paleontologist, now a botanist, will be a paleobotanist

a.s.
Valinor

Aug 23 2007, 1:03am

Post #6 of 7 (1186 views)
Shortcut
ROTK Book V Chapter 4 (Siege of Gondor) [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf to Denethor:

You think, as is your wont, my lord, of Gondor only,' said Gandalf. 'Yet there are other men and other lives, and time still to be. And for me, I pity even his slaves.

"an seileachan"

"The success of love is in the loving - it is not in the result of loving. Of course it is natural in love to want the best for the other person, but whether it turns out that way or not does not determine the value of what we have done."

~~Mother Theresa

orcbane
Gondor

Aug 24 2007, 9:15pm

Post #7 of 7 (1166 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Beren IV & a.s. [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I remember that line!

Great sparring tween Gandalf & Denethor.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.