Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Do you have a driver's license?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Do you have a driver's license?
Yes, of course! It's a must.
No, I'm perfectly fine without it. There are better transportation methods than driving
View Results (58 votes)

macfalk
Valinor

Jul 27 2011, 12:36am

Post #1 of 47 (1232 views)
Shortcut
Do you have a driver's license? Can't Post

I don't - and I don't think I ever will, at least not in the near future. I just havent had the need for it, since bus/subway works perfectly fine. And from what I've heard from parents/friends who drives, it's impossible to find a parking slot in the city anyway. Cool

Spencissimus
Lorien

Jul 27 2011, 12:41am

Post #2 of 47 (637 views)
Shortcut
I don't either [In reply to] Can't Post

Never had the need for it...I'm pretty much the only one of my mates who didn't get my L plates as soon as I turned 16, and I've survived 5 years without needing to drive. I walk where I can. and take the bus everywhere else (it helps that my suburb is well-serviced by public transport!)

macfalk
Valinor

Jul 27 2011, 12:43am

Post #3 of 47 (652 views)
Shortcut
16?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Woah thats early! I would certainly not let anybody that young drive a car if I had one. Here it's strictly 18

(This post was edited by macfalk on Jul 27 2011, 12:43am)

Spencissimus
Lorien

Jul 27 2011, 12:46am

Post #4 of 47 (630 views)
Shortcut
It's only L plates... [In reply to] Can't Post

It takes at least two/three years before you graduate to red P plates, followed by green Ps. Around 21 one is when the most dilligent drivers get their full license. FYI: this is in Australia

Delrond
Rohan

Jul 27 2011, 12:49am

Post #5 of 47 (629 views)
Shortcut
I live in the suburbs [In reply to] Can't Post

and work 15 miles from my house. I enjoy exercise, especially running, but am unable to ride a bike. Given the lack of suitable mass transit alternatives, I must have a vehicle (and thus a driver's license) if I want to get to work.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 27 2011, 1:11am

Post #6 of 47 (631 views)
Shortcut
Heh, don't come to the US then. [In reply to] Can't Post

16 is the age for drivers' licenses in most states...except some of the major agricultural states, where it may be as young as 14 (originally so that kids could legally drive the family tractor/pickup for farm work). Some states have restrictions on number of passengers allowed until the driver turns 18, though.

macfalk
Valinor

Jul 27 2011, 1:26am

Post #7 of 47 (615 views)
Shortcut
14?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Call me crazy but 14-year-olds are way, way too young to be driving in the traffic Unsure

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 27 2011, 1:41am

Post #8 of 47 (609 views)
Shortcut
14 is way more common in rural communities [In reply to] Can't Post

14 and 15-year-olds with learners or farm permits are allowed to drive to and from school and to and from work alone. Anywhere else they drive they're required to have a licensed driver in the front seat beside them.

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 27 2011, 1:59am

Post #9 of 47 (604 views)
Shortcut
I kinda have to. [In reply to] Can't Post

We have public transportation, but it doesn't cover everywhere, so there are some places where you just have to drive.

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 27 2011, 2:13am

Post #10 of 47 (621 views)
Shortcut
I do have one, but I wouldn't say it's a must. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unlike your average American who gets their driver's license when they're 16, I waited until I was 28. I never felt the need, as I tend to like walking everywhere and have no problem taking public transportation. Plus, I liked the fact that I had a lower carbon imprint due to being a non-driver. I did have to get my license, though, so I could drive to and from an internship. Even still, I've had my car since '07, and it has only 28000 miles on it, and that includes a cross country driving trip from North Carolina to California.

If things were ideal, I'd never have need of a car, but it does help to have one when you absolutely need one. I'm not too fond of the money and time that needs to be put into maintaining one, but you do what you have to, right?

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 27 2011, 4:05am

Post #11 of 47 (589 views)
Shortcut
I don't [In reply to] Can't Post

and here in NZ, where most people get their licence at 15, I am considered very, very weird. Cool

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 27 2011, 4:14am

Post #12 of 47 (657 views)
Shortcut
Have you seen [In reply to] Can't Post

that bookings for driving tests have increased ahead of the rise in the minimum driving age from 15 to 16?

I was 16 before I took my driving test (such a later bloomer... Tongue), but that was also when there wasn't a graduated licensing system: I sat it in an automatic and was a fully-fledged driver of any private car.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2011, 4:52am

Post #13 of 47 (681 views)
Shortcut
I do....but I really wish I didn't.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Between gas prices and insurance prices it is a complete drain. Unfortunately, I commute and am not able to go with out it. There are no jobs out where I am in my field, and the housing prices where my job is, are way out of my league. I would love to switch fields but my financial 'spot' right now won't allow it.
And I have a cottage, which I love spending time at and it is impossible to get to without a car!

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 27 2011, 5:46am

Post #14 of 47 (599 views)
Shortcut
It's lucky for me then [In reply to] Can't Post

As I am already 16. Wink

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 27 2011, 8:14am

Post #15 of 47 (648 views)
Shortcut
And you don't look a day over. :D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2011, 9:33am

Post #16 of 47 (670 views)
Shortcut
Yes I have a licence, but I prefer public transportation, cycling and walking. [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in a pretty small city where I can easily get everywhere without a car. There's good roads for bicycles and walkers. And the bus system works nicely.

Using a car would be more troublesome. Often I get quicker from spot A to spot B by foot than by car.

FantasyFan
Rohan

Jul 27 2011, 11:48am

Post #17 of 47 (618 views)
Shortcut
14 yrs 9 mos in my state [In reply to] Can't Post

That's when you can start taking classes, driving for practice with an instructor, and then get a "driving permit" that allows you to drive with a parent in the front seat. You are supposed to accumulate experience (50 hours, 10 at night) and then take Segment 2 of the classes, pass a road test that includes parking. After that, you can have a full license. In practice, most are 16 at the time. There are restrictions about driving at night (unless to/from work) or carrying teenage passengers, but you're out and about. It's a great convenience for parents when their kid can drive themselves to their events.

I got my license the day I turned 18, which was considered a little backwards.

FantasyFan
Rohan

Jul 27 2011, 11:50am

Post #18 of 47 (576 views)
Shortcut
Been driving for 35 years [In reply to] Can't Post

Public transportation is minimal where I live, and parking your car is free. You are expected to drive where you need to go. I live 22 miles from work and commute daily.

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Jul 27 2011, 2:30pm

Post #19 of 47 (621 views)
Shortcut
Depends on where you live... [In reply to] Can't Post

I grew up on a small farm in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. We lived 20 minutes outside of town, and as far as I knew, no buses came out our way. So having a license was important.

Then, I lived for a year in Berlin, and loved, loved, LOVED walking and taking public transit. It was actually strange and disconcerting to have to get in cars again after I left.

Now, I'm back to living in a more rural area. But I carpool as much as possible, and we have a much better bus system here than where I grew up. Although I don't drive as much now, I'd be worried if I were actually unable to do so, in case of an emergency. I think it can be an important skill to have, even if you don't need to use it often. Maybe a bit like swimming.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2011, 4:13pm

Post #20 of 47 (566 views)
Shortcut
Obviously, it depends very much on where you live [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a 20-minute drive from my home to the nearest grocery store, for instance. And public transit come nowhere near us. The transit system is overloaded and underfunded, so there's not much chance of expansion anytime soon.

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Jul 27 2011, 4:54pm

Post #21 of 47 (578 views)
Shortcut
I would LOVE to but, [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm too young still. I plan on taking drivers training next year. Cars are, in a way, very boring. I'd rather drive a motorcycle any day.
There is some thing I find a little odd though. I can fly an airplane (with the instructor in the co-pilot seat), take off, fly around, stall, and pretty much anything within the capabilities of the plane but it's illegal for me to drive a car. Can't figure it out.Crazy
Even though I'm a girl I've always been the motor vehicle lover (I don't see why boys get to have all the fun). At any given time in my childhood you could go into my room and see more hot wheels cars than princess dress up clothes. Just a random non-important fact about myself.Tongue

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Jul 27 2011, 4:59pm

Post #22 of 47 (586 views)
Shortcut
In the state I live in there are three "levels" of being a licensed driver. [In reply to] Can't Post

Right now I have just my first level which means I can drive with a licensed driver over 21. I took my drivers training when I was in my very last few months of being 15. I'm not really hyped up about getting my license but, if I want to be able to go any where by myself in the near future I'm going to have to get it. We don't really have "public transportation" where I live and honestly I'm a hermit and I would want to drive around with a bunch of other people. I like to be able to play my music really loud and talk with my family not listen to other people.

I didn't vote because those options don't really fit me.

macfalk
Valinor

Jul 27 2011, 5:04pm

Post #23 of 47 (537 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I see that many of the people who here mentioned lack of public transport - that's too bad really because it's really needed, one shouldn't have to be dependant on a car all the time. There should be alternative transports available.

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Jul 27 2011, 5:13pm

Post #24 of 47 (571 views)
Shortcut
That's all a matter [In reply to] Can't Post

Of perspective, I think. It could be viewed as "people should have another means of transport instead of being dependent on public vehicles for their ride to work every day". Where I live people in the country areas commute to work normally. In places like New York city, most of the people walk or take buses though. The busier the city the more public transport and walking. (At least from what I've seen)

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Jul 27 2011, 5:16pm

Post #25 of 47 (604 views)
Shortcut
I actually like the privacy of owning your own trasportation. [In reply to] Can't Post

You're not listening to other people's noise and stuff. Plus there's music. And you can turn it up really loud. Oh, it's fun.Evil

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.