Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Adventures or Hobbit Hole?
Poll: Adventures or Hobbit Hole?
Adventures!
I have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!
I am undecided as to whether or not I should in fact undoubtedly answer this yes or no
View Results (41 votes)

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Jul 25 2011, 3:35am

Post #1 of 24 (449 views)
Shortcut
Adventures or Hobbit Hole? Can't Post

Going off into the wild blue yonder in search of dragons and gold? Or a nice pipe or a cup of tea and a seed cake at home?

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 25 2011, 3:40am

Post #2 of 24 (229 views)
Shortcut
Aranel? Are you actually Pinocchio? [In reply to] Can't Post

That last choice was win! Laugh

"It wouldn't be inaccurate to assume that I couldn't exactly not say that it is or isn't almost partially incorrect."

"On the contrary. I'm possibly more or less not definitely rejecting the idea that in no way with any amount of uncertainty that I undeniably ...do or do not know where he shouldn't probably be, if that indeed wasn't where he isn't. Even if he wasn't at where I knew he was That'd mean I'd really have to know where he wasn't."

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Jul 25 2011, 3:44am

Post #3 of 24 (207 views)
Shortcut
hahaha [In reply to] Can't Post

I do enjoy throwing confusing things in for no reason in particular...

My little 2 year old cousin who is living with us is obsessed with Shrek, she has seen the third one so many times she will tell you what is about to happen just before it does.
And those are probably my favorite lines in the entire film. Wink

TheNazgul
Rivendell

Jul 25 2011, 3:44am

Post #4 of 24 (216 views)
Shortcut
Adventures of course [In reply to] Can't Post

the ones who go on adventures always get the pretty girl heheSmile

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jul 25 2011, 4:11am

Post #5 of 24 (216 views)
Shortcut
Would make no difference what I chose... [In reply to] Can't Post

'cause adventures sure choose ME! TongueCrazy

RoseCotton
Lorien

Jul 25 2011, 6:27am

Post #6 of 24 (217 views)
Shortcut
Both! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always thought that, taken as a whole, Bilbo's life is a pretty fantastic one.

He has fifty pretty comfortable years living in comfort and relative luxury. He then goes through about a year of remarkable personal development and growth. He returns to another sixty years of comfort and, if anything, possibly greater luxury. He then retires to Rivendell to think and to write his memoirs, where he is treated with great reverence and respect... and, finally, he goes into the West aboard an elven boat.

That's got to add up to a pretty good life -- mostly seed-cake, but a little bit of adventure thrown in, just to give the whole thing that bit of purpose and meaning! Smile

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2011, 7:10am

Post #7 of 24 (175 views)
Shortcut
Adventures! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Gollum the Great
Rohan

Jul 25 2011, 3:26pm

Post #8 of 24 (194 views)
Shortcut
well at least I'm not the only one... [In reply to] Can't Post

personally, I do think I'm a lot like Bilbo.

In general, I'll stick to my hobbit hole, thank you. I like good meals and plenty of them, and I'll have to admit I don't care much for death-defying escapes from goblins and spending all night in the rain with little for supper and even less for breakfast.

But if an adventure did come my way, I'd probably be game enough once I got over the initial whining. And as time wore on, I'd probably get used to discomfort and lack of provender (though still with many a thought of my arm chair, pipe, and fire at home :)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jul 25 2011, 5:25pm

Post #9 of 24 (195 views)
Shortcut
I did debate a little with myself [In reply to] Can't Post

since I love to get out and hike. But I voted for Hobbit Hole, because I don't want any adventures, whether I'm hiking or not. I can't remember which Antarctic explorer, when asked to relate his adventures, replied, "Adventures are when things go wrong. What we had was an expedition." So I like a nice safe expedition with no adventures, thank you. And I always like to come home to my sweet hobbit hole at the end of the day.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Jul 25 2011, 5:28pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jul 25 2011, 5:27pm

Post #10 of 24 (157 views)
Shortcut
Exactly my point in my post below. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jul 25 2011, 5:30pm

Post #11 of 24 (160 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* // [In reply to] Can't Post

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Jul 25 2011, 5:52pm

Post #12 of 24 (226 views)
Shortcut
great quote! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a terrific quote about expeditions versus adventures! I'm with you--all in favor of expeditions, minus adventures, and coming home to the Hobbit hole in the end!

It's funny too because reading LOTR always makes me want to go journey across the landscape on some sort of quest. A nice hike or a good weekend of camping usually sates that impulse, and then I can return to my cozy bed and my Hobbit food.

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Jul 25 2011, 7:24pm

Post #13 of 24 (155 views)
Shortcut
Both! [In reply to] Can't Post

Usually I would love to have tea and cake as I stroll along a grassy field. But on occasion I would go and drive the goblins from Moria and fight the Witchking!Cool

Patty
Immortal

Jul 25 2011, 7:42pm

Post #14 of 24 (162 views)
Shortcut
What a cute poll! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder how age correlates with the answers on this. I think 25 years ago I may have answered differently.

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 25 2011, 8:15pm

Post #15 of 24 (164 views)
Shortcut
They're my favorite lines too. [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems like in each Shrek movie, one character always really shines. In the first one, it was Gingy for me. In the third, it's Pinocchio all the way!

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 25 2011, 8:28pm

Post #16 of 24 (187 views)
Shortcut
I just realized I didn't explain my vote! [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried to edit my other response to you, but I timed out! Aargh! Anyway, I voted for adventures. While I like having a place to come home to, and as anyone who knows me can tell you, I do spend a lot of time working to make a house a home, I get too restless. It's very important to me to be able to travel and expose myself to different cultures and see places and things I wouldn't otherwise see. My brain is too active to just sit at home, and reading about something (though I'm definitely a bibliophile) only takes you so far.

I'm also someone who doesn't rest on her laurels. I believe in challenging myself. I chose to go to a college with a cooperative learning component that alternated study semesters with work semesters. It gave me the opportunity to live in The Netherlands, Ohio, and Texas. I would likely have not visited those places otherwise. Also, when I visited New Zealand a few years ago, I decided that I had to do the Nevis bungee jump (the second longest in the Southern Hemisphere.) This wasn't because I'm an adrenaline junkie, which I'm definitely not. It's because I always had these empowering dreams where I'd jump off of a high place and always land safely on my feet. I actually got to the point when I was having nightmares where I could put a jump into it and it would end the nightmare. So I just had to do it in real life. It was an interesting experience.

I really believe in putting myself off balance every once in a while so I can learn a little more. Not just about the world, but about myself. I couldn't do that if I were curled up in a cosy hobbit hole.

Wow, I wrote a lot there! Smile

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Jul 25 2011, 9:36pm

Post #17 of 24 (201 views)
Shortcut
adventures please [In reply to] Can't Post

I miss the days when I go all around the States to see my then favorite bands play.Some fun and scary times.

I've become a bit too much like Bilbo , so I hope after uni I can bugger off somewhere new and exciting.

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jul 25 2011, 11:21pm

Post #18 of 24 (171 views)
Shortcut
Define "adventures". [In reply to] Can't Post

Around here, with two little boys (and one big boy!), just getting out of bed can be an adventure. CrazyLaugh

tolkiennerd
Lorien

Jul 26 2011, 12:43am

Post #19 of 24 (164 views)
Shortcut
Adventures [In reply to] Can't Post

They don't have to be big but I love them after though there is nothing better then time at home.

GlowWorm
Bree

Jul 26 2011, 2:51am

Post #20 of 24 (158 views)
Shortcut
I think it kinda depends [In reply to] Can't Post

On my mood. Sometimes I've a very strong urge to go adventuring other times I just want to sit and hide away from the rest of the world.
Then there are the times where I argue myself into a stalemate about what it is I want to be doing...

Patty
Immortal

Jul 26 2011, 7:42am

Post #21 of 24 (123 views)
Shortcut
Ya got that right, as any parent knows./ [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Jul 26 2011, 7:29pm

Post #22 of 24 (126 views)
Shortcut
Adventures [In reply to] Can't Post

I would be really be helpful if a Starbucks was in walking range though.Cool

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Jul 26 2011, 7:30pm

Post #23 of 24 (130 views)
Shortcut
Since I haven't had any real adventures before I'd take one. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe after I realize how "nasty" they are I'd be more willing to stay at home. A little hunger never hurt anyone.Wink

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jul 30 2011, 8:15pm

Post #24 of 24 (233 views)
Shortcut
Byrds of a feather... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I'd far prefer an expedition but adventure finds me. Further we can borrow from Star Wars here. Amazing a Jedi knight as he was, Yoda says quite firmly (and I believe him), "Ad-venture! HMM! Ex-citement HMMM! A jedi craves these things not!"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.