Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Robert Kazinsky as Fili - the Dwarf look

Jul 24 2011, 8:59am

Post #1 of 15 (2404 views)
Robert Kazinsky as Fili - the Dwarf look Can't Post

I wonder if we're ever gonna see how Kazinsky looked as Fili...I'm sure they tried prosthetics on himWink

Jul 24 2011, 10:23am

Post #2 of 15 (785 views)
Check Production Diary #3 [In reply to] Can't Post

There are some sightings of Rob as Fili in the recent video that PJ posted. Someone on a previous thread has posted stills from the group shot of all the dwarves with their size-doubles that show the original Fili, who looks much more like AT as Kili than does his replacement.

Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 24 2011, 4:42pm

Post #3 of 15 (625 views)
You can also see him in the scene in Bag End when JRD visits... [In reply to] Can't Post

... there's a few seconds when the camera pans over to PJ, and you can see Rob sitting right there in front of the camera.

Jul 24 2011, 7:57pm

Post #4 of 15 (632 views)
Rob's dwarven look [In reply to] Can't Post

from a screen cap - Courtesy of Pipe Dream - Rob with his stand-in

“There are some things that time cannot mend. Some hurts that go too deep ... that have taken hold.”

Jul 24 2011, 9:33pm

Post #5 of 15 (493 views)
Shame [In reply to] Can't Post

Rob K looks great, what a pity he's gone. I have nothing against Dean O'Gorman though.

Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2011, 10:11pm

Post #6 of 15 (524 views)
Is there something wrong with my eyesight... [In reply to] Can't Post

...or does Kazinsky's version of Fili have brown hair? Did they change it back to the blonde described in the book when they recast the role? I wonder how deeply Aidan Turner's appearance influenced Kili's controversial design.

Jul 24 2011, 10:15pm

Post #7 of 15 (477 views)
Rob looks great [In reply to] Can't Post

but I also really like Dean's look. Rob's a handsome guy but I think he looks a lot like Kili. Dean's Fili seems a bit more distinct. But maybe that's just me! Smile

It's a shame Rob couldn't stay and I hope everything goes OK for him.

ETA: Rob's Fili looks like he has golden-blond hair to me, sort of a darker blond. I think they might have redone Kili's wig, it's not the long, fine jet-black hair in the posed photo. It's lighter colored, shorter and more unkempt. They might have been working with the actor's coloring, or maybe they just didn't want viewers to confuse him with Fili so they decided not to make them both blonds.

(This post was edited by sueb1863 on Jul 24 2011, 10:21pm)

The Shire

Jul 24 2011, 10:45pm

Post #8 of 15 (449 views)
Robs look [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but I also really like Dean's look. Rob's a handsome guy but I think he looks a lot like Kili. Dean's Fili seems a bit more distinct. But maybe that's just me! Smile

I definitely think that Dean's look is more distinct. Rob's seems very normal / bland when comparing to all the others. There doesnt seem to be anything unique about the look in the above picture. Almost like its a background character and not one of the main dwarfs.

I wonder if we will ever get to see any footage that Rob shot on the DVDs

Adverb Harry

Jul 25 2011, 12:09am

Post #9 of 15 (483 views)
The impact of the original Fili... [In reply to] Can't Post

Long-time lurker, first time poster. (Actually, that's not entirely true. I used to post quite a bit back in the heyday of the original movies--2000 to about 2004--but I couldn't even tell you what my username was back then. So, for all intents and purposes, I am a born-again first-time poster.)

Anyway, here's my concern about the Fili recasting. I know that when the announcement was made, PJ said that it would not affect filming that had already occured. However, now that we've seen production photos and videos of all the dwarves at Bag End, we know that the original Fili at least did some filming. So, do those scenes get reshot? Seems like a shame, considering all the fun they seemed to be having. Do they post the new Fili's head over the original actor with CGI? That never quite seems to work out. Or, worst of all, do they just leave the original shots in, taking care to keep Fili in the background as much as possible so people don't notice? That would be pretty noticeable to eagle-eyed viewers, and it would also probably result in whole lines and sequences of the other dwarves being cut anytime the original Fili would appear in a large part of the frame. That doesn't seem an optimum solution, either.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas, opinions, or, best of all, maybe some information I might have missed from other outlets.

Jul 25 2011, 1:02am

Post #10 of 15 (401 views)
Good question! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was wondering the same thing! My guess is that filming hadn't finished yet when the part was recast, so they went back and refilmed the parts that required Fili to be in the shot, such as when he's introduced in Bag End. They might use all the original footage where you can't see his face or where he's not in the shot.

This has happened in movies before. When 'The Wizard of Oz' started filming in 1938, the part of the Tin Man was played by Buddy Ebsen (best known nowadays as Jed Clampett). After a short time Ebsen developed a severe allergic reaction to the silver makeup he had to wear, so he dropped out and was replaced by Jack Haley. However, Ebsen's voice had already been recorded for the songs, so while Haley rerecorded the Tin Man's solo songs and lines, it's Buddy Ebsen's voice you hear in the 'We're off to see the Wizard' group parts.

Just thought I'd throw that in! :)

Grey Havens

Jul 25 2011, 2:34am

Post #11 of 15 (383 views)
I'm sure much of what they shot they were able to keep. [In reply to] Can't Post

Really, it only applies to shots with Rob in them, so any close up shots without him in it would still be easily salvageable. Of course, it depends on how much dialoge Fili would have in that scene -- the more dialoge he has, the more screen time he would have. Even then, there's always things like ADR where they could get Dean read any lines where Fili is offscreen but still says something. But I'm sure that, with whatever they had to reshoot, it probably wouldn't have called for an extensive reshoot of the entire scene.

My guess is that Fili wouldn't be the focus of attention in that scene anyway. More likely it would be Gandalf, Bilbo, and Thorin, as this is going to be a scene where we get the basic rundown of what the direction of the plot is going to be.

“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry. “Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

Jul 25 2011, 8:20am

Post #12 of 15 (340 views)
I think it's the light [In reply to] Can't Post

In the Bag End scene in the video Rob Kazinsky's Fili wig looked the same dark blond as Dean O'Gorman's. And Kili didn't have the windswept l'Oreal look either - his hair looked shorter and scruffier to me, and a lighter brown.

Jul 25 2011, 11:22am

Post #13 of 15 (334 views)
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel so silly nowCrazyI don't know how I couldn't spot him...ThanksSmile
He looks great, even better than O'Gorman.

Niniel Valinor

Aug 4 2011, 7:50am

Post #14 of 15 (220 views)
In one of the prod. videos... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I think in the first or second production video we see the actors on the Bag End set.. no one in costume. At one point Peter points out Kili and Fili - is that Fili Dean or Rob? lol. (Sorry I had never heard of any of these two actors before the Hobbit). Just curious Wink

I actually prefer Dean's look for Fili then XD

Aug 4 2011, 10:20am

Post #15 of 15 (1136 views)
If it's that early in the production... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it's probably Rob. Rob left around the end of April and Dean's hiring was announced at the beginning of May, and I'm pretty sure they were well into filming by then. And in the third production blog when JRD shows up and talks to the dwarves, it's Rob who's sitting at the table in full costume and makeup.

Just a guess, though!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.