Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
WAAAYYY off topic: anyone here on Gather?

a.s.
Valinor

Aug 21 2007, 12:00pm

Post #1 of 5 (920 views)
Shortcut
WAAAYYY off topic: anyone here on Gather? Can't Post

For at least the last year I've been "subscribed" (in only the very loosest sense, meaning I sent my username and registered and did nothing else) to Gather.com. I admit I fell for an ad, but it seemed like there might be some interesting stuff there, ways to find groups talking about things I might be interested in, etc. For instance, they have a Public Radio forum. Could be interesting, thought I.

Now, I was a pretty early Internet discussion user, and on a BBS before that. I've read "forums" in lots of different guises, from the old USENET days of ASCII text emails delivered via a "newsgroup", to web-based forums, to Listserv archives at .edu addresses, etc. So you'd think I wouldn't be intimidated by any kind of format. Right?

Wrong.

I can't understand Gather. Is the point just to publish some "articles" (which looks to be synonomous with "posting") and then have people read them and comment on them? A la a blog? If so, I find the format really clunky and it's so hard to find the interesting stuff amidst the chaff (too early to worry about mixed metaphors!!).

Or is the point to have a sort of adult-skewed Facebook or MySpace, where people put up autobiographical stuff with pics and vids and oh by the way, sometimes post thoughts? Ick on that (I admit to being over the hill vis a vis those kinds of networking/meeting place sites and uninterested).

So I'm taking my mission to the streets: anyone here using Gather? What do you think? Can I eventually get used to the format and find a place to "discuss" stuff, or is it mostly just people posting their own thoughts without too much regard for the comments received (like a bunch of mini-blogs all gathered together, pun intended)? Is there good stuff on Gather, and how do I get to the good stuff?

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"The success of love is in the loving - it is not in the result of loving. Of course it is natural in love to want the best for the other person, but whether it turns out that way or not does not determine the value of what we have done."

~~Mother Theresa

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 22 2007, 1:01am

Post #2 of 5 (811 views)
Shortcut
I'll have to admit [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't had time to venture out to many other sites other than TORn, yahoo groups (DragonCon... WOOF!), and... uh... that's about it. Does Hotmail count?

Gather sounds fascinating, though. I'll bet you'll totally conquer it in no time ;) You have more guts than I do!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

a.s.
Valinor

Aug 22 2007, 11:05am

Post #3 of 5 (793 views)
Shortcut
no guts here, gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, I've been "registered" for a whole year, and have never ventured to post a thing.

I guess from the response I'm not the only one! LOL.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"The success of love is in the loving - it is not in the result of loving. Of course it is natural in love to want the best for the other person, but whether it turns out that way or not does not determine the value of what we have done."

~~Mother Theresa

Tyler
Lorien

Aug 22 2007, 7:43pm

Post #4 of 5 (785 views)
Shortcut
I am a member of vmk,gaia,torn. [In reply to] Can't Post

But i would like to try it.i have herd good things what do you think?

Never doubt that a small group of peple can change the world indeed,that is the onely thing that ever has......Margaret mead

Patty
Immortal

Aug 22 2007, 7:52pm

Post #5 of 5 (821 views)
Shortcut
and I spend too much time... [In reply to] Can't Post

playing Seven Wonders of the Ancient World to be anywhere else.

Riding with the Rohirrim!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.