Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Is anyone else concerned with Peter's....
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 23 2011, 11:18pm

Post #26 of 36 (262 views)
Shortcut
Avoiding Unintended Thoughtmaking [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
SirDennisC: A few months ago I noticed how odd PJ's black socks looked in that famous picture of him in Bag End. I used the tired joke "does this _______ make me look fat?" which of course drew attention to the weight issue more so than the socks. Unintentional tough it was, there it was, and I have regretted it ever since.

I forgive you. You can feel better now. Evil You know how everyone can tell raunchy, racist and sexist jokes in private company among your closest friends and you all shake your heads about how everyone else would be offended? Well, aren't we all friends here? LOL.

Anyway... My hindsight advice is to say it this way instead: "Does this _______ make my butt look big?" It avoid thes F word entirely. Oh... sigh. That's F for fat. What were you thinking? Shoot, now look what I went and did, making everyone all offended.

Personally, I think Peter made a better looking Corsair captain (or whatever) with some beef to him.

kiwifan
Rohan

Jul 24 2011, 12:05am

Post #27 of 36 (244 views)
Shortcut
it isn't at all inappropriate to be concerned about PJ's health [In reply to] Can't Post

it's just the 'girth' etc. that strikes people with weight issues (is that a politically correct term?) as insensitive. I'm sure you meant well, and your initial post is certainly not so offensive as to be deleted or otherwise subjected to criticism from the admins (I simply assume that, nothing having been deleted yet). I recommend reading Sir Dennis C's post on the subject, he put it very well.

It's sometimes hard to know what will upset people, and often it is done without any idea that one might be offending someone else (I'm good at that myself Unsure). So don't lose your beauty sleep over it --- and forgive me for having been somewhat hasty in my first reply. Treebeard really has a point there! Wink

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

kiwifan
Rohan

Jul 24 2011, 12:08am

Post #28 of 36 (241 views)
Shortcut
thank you Ataahua! [In reply to] Can't Post

HeartSmile

enjoy your Sunday!

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 24 2011, 1:25pm

Post #29 of 36 (233 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

While I do care BIG TIME about Peter's health, I have to say I miss my Hobbity-looking Peter from the LotR days.

As someone who is struggling with a weight-gain from hospital/Mom visits late in the Spring and a 11 lb gain (in one week!) from medication (that I'm no long on), I know how hard it is to take it off or maintain weight when life happens. If Peter's relaxing his routine to deal with the pace and pressure of filming The Hobbit and finalizing TinTin... I can understand and empathize.

Now that he knows how to take it off, I'm sure he's already got that as part of his plan once his world returns to normal.

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

diedye
Grey Havens

Jul 24 2011, 4:28pm

Post #30 of 36 (197 views)
Shortcut
As someone who has weight issues myself... [In reply to] Can't Post

... (I'm no skinny Minnie)... I don't see how "girth" could be perceived as insensitive. If I had said he was fat, then THAT would have been not only insensitive but insulting (been through that... still going through that... never gets easy). What he looks like is not what concerns me... it's his HEALTH that has drawn my concern. If he gains weight but is still taking care of himself, then by all means... it's just his history working on the LOTR trilogy and its toll on his health (which he himself revealed) that has me seeing similarities between the two projects. And it's not just his weight... with each production video he releases, I can see that he is appearing more tired than the last one (and he's not the only one that's drawing my concern... Andy Serkis looks like he hasn't slept in forever!).

Well, anyway... as long as they don't sacrifice their health for the sake of these movies (it's really not worth it that much), then I'm all too happy to follow along on the adventure and keep rooting for him. After all, I was ALWAYS in favor of him being the one directing these movies and no one else (I bow to Andy, nonetheless).

Blessed are the cracked,
For they are the ones who let in the light!

tolkiennerd
Lorien

Jul 24 2011, 5:21pm

Post #31 of 36 (199 views)
Shortcut
I noticed that too. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I still can't believe how much he lost. Never thought I'd be bigger then him.

kiwifan
Rohan

Jul 24 2011, 8:29pm

Post #32 of 36 (205 views)
Shortcut
All this political correctness is a veritable minefield [In reply to] Can't Post

*sigh*... the funny bit is, even though I'm not Kate Moss (I wouldn't want to be), but I don't have weight problems myself (I'm just waxing and waning like the moon, depending on the level and the type of stress I have, so am keeping clothes in three sizes for all cases, and not worried about it), I was just taking up the cudgels on behalf of those who do and who did feel upset about this topic before. But I realize (and so probably does everyone else reading your subsequent posts in this thread) that you didn't mean to tread on anyone's toes and were just concerned about PJ's health. As we all are. And yes, Andy looks rather sleep-deprived as well. And all of them are 11 years older than when making LotR so they're bound to feel the strain a bit more. Like you, I'm so thrilled that it's PJ, and Andy, who's making the Hobbit films, and I sincerely hope that the process won't be as mega-stressful as LotRs was.

kiwifan
Rohan

Jul 24 2011, 8:53pm

Post #33 of 36 (206 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I think he was the captain of the Corsairs of Umbar [In reply to] Can't Post

and being none too skinny at that time, added more weight to the performance Evil

(okay, come and hit me! This is supposed to be a joke! I'm tired of being so serious).

However, you're right, it kind of enhances his swaggering about, doesn't it?

And now I'm getting off this thread and going to pack my suitcase, so adios!

Marionette
Rohan

Jul 24 2011, 10:33pm

Post #34 of 36 (213 views)
Shortcut
I only have one thing to say [In reply to] Can't Post

I know he hasnīt been healthy but to me he is not an ugly guy at all, not when he was chubbier or now.

Well, thatīs it.

Ok, I am not a demanding person about perfect beauty or something, at all. I just see people say this person is ugly and I just think that person is not that ugly.
I am amazed everytime when people judge other peopleīs looks.

Wow

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"

(This post was edited by Marionette on Jul 24 2011, 10:35pm)

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Jul 24 2011, 11:46pm

Post #35 of 36 (187 views)
Shortcut
well said marionette, I agree // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

Marionette
Rohan

Jul 25 2011, 2:05am

Post #36 of 36 (228 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.