Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New Post by PJ on Facebook
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Ruijor
Rohan

Jul 21 2011, 10:53am

Post #151 of 332 (18119 views)
Shortcut
Kili being dwarvish enough [In reply to] Can't Post

Not in my book. He really stands out to me like a crossbreed bettween a dwarf and an elf, I think itīs those ears... Crazy

Delrond
Rohan

Jul 21 2011, 11:29am

Post #152 of 332 (17810 views)
Shortcut
A couple more as well [In reply to] Can't Post

7:38 - in Rivendell, there is a tall, what appears to be female, elf standing in the background. Not Tauriel, almost certainly not Arwen, then who?

11:32 - Bag End - hey, that's not the Gandalf we have come to love. Oh, to be a stand-in just for the experience.

Saruman was a pleasant surprise as well.Smile

Things are now in motion that cannot be undone.

smokerings
Rivendell

Jul 21 2011, 11:53am

Post #153 of 332 (17717 views)
Shortcut
Freaking... [In reply to] Can't Post

BRILLIANT!!!!!

What a video....this just brings it all together now....I am literally in tears of joy.Evil

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 21 2011, 12:02pm

Post #154 of 332 (17756 views)
Shortcut
*kerplunk* [In reply to] Can't Post

TEARS AND LALUGHTER AND JOY AND OMG!!!!

"Suddenly, it's real!!"

I can't get my head around this ... I'm SO HAPPY!!! I pronounce the dwarves like Gandalf!!! I cracked up when Ian M said he'd only invite a couple of dwarves at a time... just like when he's at Beorn's

I'm shakkng so much I can't type.... Peter... Peter.. Peter.. they're all there! The costumes, the personalities... Riddles in the dark... fighting...laughing... Bag End...Andy, sweet Andy... and the scales taking the family photo with the others... I knew they were filming Bag End in London... I just knew it!

omg Peter. Thank you so much... Rivendell... Galadriel, Elrond and Gandalf all together again with Peter... and JRD! He's not JUST in the neighbourhood!! And Christopher Lee! What a send off... he looks WONDERFUL!! *twitch* too much..toomuch wonderfulness to comprehend..

*still crying with massive smile on face*

We're so lucky... we're so blessed.

Thank you Peter.

*runs to watch again, and again, and again....*

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jul 21 2011, 12:04pm)

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jul 21 2011, 12:06pm

Post #155 of 332 (17610 views)
Shortcut
:D [In reply to] Can't Post

Gramma, you're giddy enthusiasm always brings a big smile to my face! I love reading your posts! Smile

I can hardly contain my excitement just the same! It's going to be a looong year and a half! Crazy

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
--Walter Sobchak

angelocrator

Jul 21 2011, 12:08pm

Post #156 of 332 (17670 views)
Shortcut
Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

Just realized that we'll see Sauron IN THE FLESH if the fall of the Necromancer is shown!

namarie
Rohan

Jul 21 2011, 12:14pm

Post #157 of 332 (17719 views)
Shortcut
The video blogs are getting better and better [In reply to] Can't Post

Saw the video just once and there is so much to digest.

I will start with ...OMG I just saw Saruman Laugh
God bless sir Christopher Lee..he is perfect :)

And I missed Gollum so much Laugh..and Elrond and Galadriel who is gorgeous by the way.
And how fun to see John Rhys-Davies with his family :P

After watching the video some dwarves look different to me comparing with the photos released.

Nori definitely has some crazy hair.
Ori and Oin look different in the video then the photos.Ori probably looks different because he did not had the hood on his head.

Balin looks much better and I think Dwalin just became my favorite dwarf.

I definitively hate the piece of axe in Bifur's head and I don't know if I will cope with that through out the film.

And is it me or Thorin looks much older in the video? Maybe it's his face expression.

Fili looks much better then the photo and Kili definitely looks human to me and not dwarvish. (at first I could not decide if he looks dwarvish or not but after watching the entire video I can tell that he looks human).
And the actors are saying he is the hot one Laugh..so who could argue with that ..I guess it's decided..Kili is the hot dwarf :)))

Other things that I liked: I saw much more from riddles in the dark and I had a pic at the dwarves doubles and there are going to be songs ..yay..and I can't wait to see the unexpected party scene..it looks to be a fun one :)

And how funny that the actors don't know all the dwarves names :)

And did we saw the dwarves fight in the trolls shaw? (I hope I spelled "shaw" correctly)

I will stop now :)
I didn't read the comments from this thread so it's possible I already repeated some things that other people said.

P.S. I forgot to say..Thank you PJ you are just spoiling us with all this videos and I appreciate the effort.:)

There is always hope

(This post was edited by namarie on Jul 21 2011, 12:20pm)

sharku
Rivendell

Jul 21 2011, 12:34pm

Post #158 of 332 (17656 views)
Shortcut
Saruman [In reply to] Can't Post

Finally seeing Christopher Lee back as Saruman was the highlight for me in a video full of highlights.

Kudos and thanks to PJ and all involved for making this so generously available. PJ seems to have gone out of his way to address leading questions many of us have had about cast members returning by showing us, rather than the oh-so-old-fashioned method of press releases.

The video also seems to have soothed the concerns about the appearance of certain dwarves, whilst cementing the already good impressions we've all had. Either it's a fantastically good coincidence - or don't tell me they don't scan these forums for fan reaction! ;)

In the end, the spirit of camaraderie and genuine respect for the cast and crew of LOTR seems to shine through - the deliberate reveals of Elrond & Galadriel, and of course of Saruman. In addition, showing JRD's reunion. You can really see why it seems actors 'want' to be in PJs movies - one big family vibe.

Great stuff!

hobbitman

Jul 21 2011, 12:36pm

Post #159 of 332 (17639 views)
Shortcut
OMGods! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is so cool.EVERY Dwarf is explained in this footage,They are incredible.Props to Peter Jackson for making every dwarf different yet inline within their culture.Thorin seems to look like a good looking old dwarf.Remember Good looking people age well and he looks both kingly and experienced veteren.Guess dr death will have no more to say about hios age, becasue Armitage (Thorin.) definatley looks 45-55 easily.Peter Jackson may have shown the footage to put these theories of a heart throb elvish Thorin and Kili to rest.They both look extremely Dwarven as wella s appropriate to look at.This movie is going to be awesome.Good ol Pj and his humble well fed self again lols.Npthing wrong with eat8ing PJ it is YOU and that;s all that matters champion.YOU are a legend in m y least biased opinion.The way you format your blogs is EPIC! in one word.HHEHE
Galadriel looking well and elrond Gandalf and Sir Christopehr Lee looking the same as ever.Kinda dissapointed to not see Elijah Wood but i guess it is a special moment for later.Is it me but does Thorin remind you of the well aged Aragorn on the Return of the king in that flashback.????http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6mc3Fv7vDM
You see Aragorn was 60 something in that scene and he still attain his good looks.Good looking men grow and age Gracefully it is mother natures or the blessing of GOD.s lol

Rosebud
The Shire

Jul 21 2011, 12:38pm

Post #160 of 332 (17746 views)
Shortcut
The last bit [In reply to] Can't Post

...with Christopher Lee is absolutely hilarious. (Lee looks surprisingly well!) In general a great blog and a really good, close look at the dwarves. Not only do we get to see them move, we also get some insight into their personalities. (Looks like Oin will have a hearing problem, for instance.) Thorin looks a little bit better here than in the promo shot.

Most importantly though is that we're getting a feeling for what tone PJ is going for and it seems like those that spoke of comedy is absolutely on the money.

namarie
Rohan

Jul 21 2011, 12:49pm

Post #161 of 332 (17666 views)
Shortcut
saw the video again [In reply to] Can't Post

and the dwarves do fight in the trollshaw :)

There is always hope

Ezu
The Shire

Jul 21 2011, 12:50pm

Post #162 of 332 (17638 views)
Shortcut
Saruman & Gandalf same chair? [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems that the chair Saruman sits on at the end is the same type that Gandalf sits on at the round table near Elrond and Galadriel. I guess he may be spliced into that scene.

Rosebud
The Shire

Jul 21 2011, 12:52pm

Post #163 of 332 (17662 views)
Shortcut
A very weird [In reply to] Can't Post

...sensation to see Kili interact with the others, actually. Next to them it looks like he's not in full costume. He certainly doesn't look anything like a dwarf. (The only one who doesn't look clearly better in the video than the photos, imho.)

DrDeath153
Lorien

Jul 21 2011, 12:57pm

Post #164 of 332 (17674 views)
Shortcut
It's gotten better [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only watched the video once as yet (then again i'll likely be watching it again as i write this so that may not stand). First impressions though, yes the dwarves have got significantly better to my eyes in the shot footage as opposed to the promo pics. The lack of prosthetics still bothers me (some of them do still look like normal guys in silly costumes) but seeing them in action with their costumes and whatevers swirling around does (obviously) give them more of a sense of life. Some of them have drastically improved in my estimation- Ori and Nori certainly don't look nearly as worrying as i thought they would. To be honest that was really all i was focusing on on my first watch through (well christopher lee's climatic appearance too but mainly the dwarves), so now for the detailed critical analysis:

Gollum's Cave: No sign of the boat (a fair omission i'd say) but it is interesting to see how Gollum is using the rocks on the set- it's little details like that in the direction that help transfer it from a book scene (where you kind of imagine Gollum just paddling up to the shoreline) to a film. Perhaps that fork in the rock will be where Bilbo gets his first glimpse- possibly a real shock moment and yet playing homage to our first glimpse of Gollum in FotR through the ladder. The set though is superb and in the best tradition of the original films- exactly like you imagine.... and yet better- i love the way the rocks tend to slant towards the entrance and their jaggedness- quite a John Howe-feeling area, Bilbo almost finds himself making a 'grand entrance' onto a gameshow he never wanted to be part of. And i actually warm to the more 'indistinct' portrayal of Smeagol/Gollum, it's more playful and more sinister than the polarised performance Andy Serkis did in LotR when Gollum is out in the open and desperate.

Bag End: So this is our first view of the dwarves properly, actually there acting. First thing i noticed is that Dori actually looks rather like Kiran Shah facially. I'm not suggesting it is Kiran under there (they're the full sized dwarves) but it is quite a resemblance in the mouth and the nose. Ori, sat next to him looks a lot less juvenile, still mousey and distinctively prosthetically-light (very much more faun than dwarf) but a bit hairier. Nori's hairstyle has improved drastically. Incidentally i think i saw something similar in sketches of the white witch in the narnia films. Bombur looks suitably imposing at the far end- a bit of a caricature, but it works even if his costume is still a bit dodgy. Aidan Turner has stopped looking quite so blow-dried but he's still not a dwarf by any stretch, in fact he reminds me of Serkis playing Smeagol for the prologue of RotK. Fili is still a far better design (a whiff perhaps of Primus from Stardust) though i still want my dwarvish head proportions. Thorin, in our first in focus mid-range shot still doesn't sit right with me- the first shot i've got to admit there's very little of Richard Armitage recognisable but the head/body proportions are still human in fact he looks more like a young Gandalf than Gimli. Gloin and Oin still look superb, the most dwarvish of the bunch certainly (interesting 'spur' on the back of Oin's hairdo). Graham McTavish's arms have benefitted from some prosthetic layers so they don't look quite as human but his head is still rather small for a dwarf and perched on those big shoulders it could do with some serious augmentation. Balin looks better for getting some life into him. I was a touch worried he almost looked too old in the promotional picture (he looked very frail to be honest) but now i can believe he's one of the oldest and yet still with a bit of vim and vigour in him (i'd still change his 'gnome boots' though). Bifur looks like a laugh and a half- i noticed a little snippet later in the video where he lunges at one of his fellow dwarves while in bag end- a percieved insult perhaps? William Kircher's Khuzdul also was quite fun- i quite like the idea that Bifur almost has tourettes as a result of his injury and might just sit in the corner spurting dwarvish swearwords at various intervals, in addition his costume is more yellow in 'real' light which i'm happy about- looked almost green originally. I'm still not sold on Bofur- he's too human but i do like his costume with the earthy yellow. Bombur looks fantastic and although i'd prefer him to have his braid split into two 'walrus tusks' it doesn't look quite so much like a string of onions when on the move. As Ian McKellen recited the dwarves, Dori has a bit more of his beard showing which makes me happy, Nori has lost a bit of the catweazleness he had on first view (although i would still like his hairstyle toned down a touch) and for all the slenderness of his face Ori is improving on me (his hair is a lot more red than it appeared in the photo where it bordered on grey). We even have the dwarvish take on the pudding basin- a sure mark of any geek (a dwarven Dwayne Dibley perhaps?).

Richard Armitage as Thorin acting (well the little snippet), there are shades of Sean Bean in the voice. Back to looking distinctively like himself in that clip and i'm still not convinced (sorry Armitage fans)- he's not a bad actor, just nothing near Thorin (although seeing him grubbed up (greatly more than he was for Robin Hood and other 'warts and all' period pieces) i'm getting happier with booting him into the predicted role of Bard in my mental Middle-earth).

The interactions between the actors do make me smile. You get to see a bit more of the dry 'straight man' McTavish i remember from Red Dwarf as opposed to the more giggly, clownish side of him that we saw in the press conference. He's a great bloke. Adam Brown is very cool too, although to look at him he's one of the most fundamentally undwarvish characters going with that nasal voice of his (i'm sure he'll change it for the part, then again he's got a fairly big honker in the film so maybe it'll fit). While it's nice they're self-aware, i don't think any amount of ribbing either on or off screen will make Kili dwarvish, in fact it almost highlights that it wasn't a misguided reinterpretation of the dwarvish look but a cynical attempt to get something more totty-esque into the proceedings. The more i see of John Callen though the more he convinces me of his brilliance- there is a dwarf through and through (I do want to hear more of his 'public schoolboy' speaking voice though- it's hilarious).

The Trollshaws: Predictable but cool reinterpretation of the scene. I suppose there's enough 'dwarf counting' in other parts, so a bit of a battle at that stage will be great stuff rather than just sticking bags over their heads one by one. Interesting use of punch-bags as stand ins for Troll legs. Given that we saw Bilbo creeping around next to a fence that looks very similar to the ones in the trollshaw set, perhaps the choice to have them all attack at once is as a 'rescue mission' for their burgler.

Rivendell: Interesting location for the council meeting, looks like one of the new bits of Rivendell PJ talked about in the first video- a kind of rotunda with statues between the pillars. Cate Blanchett looks lovely though certainly different in her new costume (her grey shimmering 'travelling garb' is rather striking, evocative of her in 'dark queen' mode). Hugo Weaving's costume too looks rather more vibrant (and i'm debating whether that's in a good way) than what we saw in LotR where his clothes were rich, but at the same time 'soft' in colour.

Back to Bag End: Good to see they are including some music (I'm hoping for a deeply atmospheric, gutteral rendition of 'over the misty mountains cold'- Khuzdul or English i don't mind). Graham McTavish's dwarf voice (tapping into his native scottish) is quite impressive, almost echoes of Begbie from Trainspotting, pouring beer into what struck me as Oin's pipe. Ori's voice is rather funny too, as Adam Brown says 'very polite'- i'd quite like to see the older dwarves taking the piss out of him- dwarves are polite in formal situations but i imagine Ori hasn't quite learnt when to be rude and blunt, one of the essential skills a dwarf when growing up. It does seem that Bombur (as if the ladle wasn't evidence enough) will be the company's cook- something that wasn't a formal position in the Fellowship of the Ring (though you imagine the hobbits do most of it). Lovely to see John Rhys Davies make an appearance. Interesting to see what might be Rob Kazinsky as Fili in the scale-double shot, looking like he was going to wield the hammer we saw in the first video.

The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow: It's Sir Christopher Lee! Creepy, imperious, perfectly returned to his cinematic self, it's Saruman. Hopefully the character will take part in the assault on Dol Guldur even if Christopher must stay in England. It's wonderful to see him again.

So, this is certainly the best of the videos to date- the last one, while you did get a look at some beautiful NZ landscape frankly doesn't come close to this. So fancy that- i'm happy!

Dr Death

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Jul 21 2011, 1:01pm

Post #165 of 332 (17620 views)
Shortcut
tremendous, fun & brillaint [In reply to] Can't Post

If Bofur, Bifur, Bombur and Thorin need a place to crash in between killing trolls and such, they can stay with me. ;)

Bofur's hilarious Pippi Longstocking 'do matches his mirthful zoink. And I am now impressed with Bombur...(even before the Metallica reference)...so scratch my initial remarks about this rowdy fellow from the record.

LOVED this.

Can't wait to watch again on my lunch hour.

Am so pleased everyone is so utterly in Dwarf mode.

And the bit with Sir Christopher at the end: priceless.

Thank you Peter, cast and crew. Just glorious.

priell3
Lorien

Jul 21 2011, 1:25pm

Post #166 of 332 (17506 views)
Shortcut
I copy them the lazy way... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Use this program, and download right from PJ's facebook page. I have all 3 in M4P format thanks to this program, it works like a charm! Wink

http://youtubedownload.altervista.org/

After viewing the video on Facebook, I open my Temporary Internet Files folder and just copy the .mp4 file over to My Documents and rename them Hobbit1.mp4, Hobbit2.mp4, etc.

MikeP

Bow&Helm
The Shire

Jul 21 2011, 1:39pm

Post #167 of 332 (17485 views)
Shortcut
What a great video... [In reply to] Can't Post

I stumbled on it last night (I was actually watching #2 because I was bored and when it was done there was #3). Loved it. Thank you. Ditto all of your superlatives.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 21 2011, 1:41pm

Post #168 of 332 (17445 views)
Shortcut
*glug* // [In reply to] Can't Post

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

namarie
Rohan

Jul 21 2011, 1:45pm

Post #169 of 332 (17578 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking the same [In reply to] Can't Post

I think in the shot with the dwarves and their scale doubles is Rob as Fili.

There is always hope

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Jul 21 2011, 1:55pm

Post #170 of 332 (17461 views)
Shortcut
musical dwarves! [In reply to] Can't Post

Watching the Dwarves at Bag End was my favorite part, especially their musical endeavors. I made the mistake of trying to watch this at work, and when it showed them singing and playing their instruments, I burst out laughing!

I've long thought that because *The Hobbit* is so funny, especially those scenes in Bag End, all P.J. had to do was stay relatively true to the spirit of the book and we'd be in for some serious hilarity. Looks like that's exactly what's happening! Huzzah!!!

I seriously heart the Dwarves--as has been noted, seeing them in action is a hundred times better than seeing their pictures.

This is going to be fabulous! But however are we going to wait???!!!

"Yes, but what about SECOND breakfast?"

Bound
Rohan

Jul 21 2011, 2:01pm

Post #171 of 332 (17548 views)
Shortcut
Why apologise? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why do you feel the need to apologise for the fact that you don't like Richard Armitage? You not liking him won't effect people who are his fans. You clearly state that you don't think he's a bad actor he's just not your vision of Thorin. The problem of course is it doesnt matter if we are pro or against him, he is after all cast. He is Thorin.

I'm not taking shots at your post, i'm just curious as to why you apologise, as your opinon changes nothing, no more then a pro Armitage's does.

I should state for the record that i feel neither great love nor dislike for him. I need to see the movies to judge, but i'm optimic.

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

timdiggerm

Jul 21 2011, 2:36pm

Post #172 of 332 (17390 views)
Shortcut
Rivendell shoots [In reply to] Can't Post

Splicing an actor in like that might be doable, but it would probably be better if they didn't do it that way. Far more likely, I think, is that they filmed all the Dwarves-In-Rivendell stuff in NZ, then all the White-Council-In-Rivendell stuff in UK.

Anduril1993
Rivendell

Jul 21 2011, 2:44pm

Post #173 of 332 (17395 views)
Shortcut
Its Great to see Christopher Lee their! [In reply to] Can't Post

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shal be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 21 2011, 2:47pm

Post #174 of 332 (17444 views)
Shortcut
There is lots of Rob K in this one, which is bittersweet [In reply to] Can't Post

poor guy.

One wonder's if they will use any of the footage he was in in the TR?

Dwimbruk
The Shire

Jul 21 2011, 2:51pm

Post #175 of 332 (17460 views)
Shortcut
It's an ear trumpet, not a pipe! [In reply to] Can't Post

(we're talking about the thing which Dwalin pours beer into at about 10:23 on the vid)

I'm sure it's an ear trumpet (i.e. a hearing aid), not a pipe, unless Oin smokes out of his ear Wink

If you look carefully in a previous scene (9:46), you can see it sitting on the table. Oin does have something else in his mouth, which might have added to the confusion...

Incidentally, just noticed, and don't think anyone has mentioned it, that Oin (at least I think it's him) seems to be playing a teapot as his musical instrument at 8:31 Shocked

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.