Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New Post by PJ on Facebook
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Patty
Immortal

Jul 21 2011, 8:02am

Post #126 of 332 (15600 views)
Shortcut
I'm afraid "this was also in my mind" JWPlatt. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Permanent address: Into the West

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 21 2011, 8:04am

Post #127 of 332 (15917 views)
Shortcut
13:25? But... but... that's one second prior to the end of the video [In reply to] Can't Post

You had me dragging the progress bar on my player until I hit the end Tongue

Spencissimus
Lorien

Jul 21 2011, 8:16am

Post #128 of 332 (15787 views)
Shortcut
As am I...all my niggling doubts have vanished into thin air! [In reply to] Can't Post

Also, are you as completely enamoured of the actors playing the dwarves as I am? They all seem like such wonderful, fun-loving guys (particularly the Kiwis...William Kirschner cracks me up!) and I am so glad that they were chosen to play the dwarves!

Dwimbruk
The Shire

Jul 21 2011, 8:19am

Post #129 of 332 (15721 views)
Shortcut
wow. wow! Wow!! WOW!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

AMAZING! so much to digest....

Some thoughts - yes, Bombur definitely does fight with his soup ladle! Tongue

Anyone else notice - Oin (I think) seems to have an ear trumpet, which Dwalin pours beer into!

We are going to have some instruments, although Dwalin's clearly isn't a 'viol as big as himself' - that always seemed a bit unlikely to me anyway :p

I love the bit where Bofur falls backward off his chair... James Nesbitt is just pure class.

Thorin looks soooo much more like what I imagined compared with the promo pic :D

I'm even warming to Kili - if he is really young, maybe it could work. Still don't like the elvish ears though.

The scenes with Galadriel don't have any dwarves in, so I think this must be the White Council - Elrond, Gandalf, Galadriel and ???

Overall, superb - how are we going to wait a year!

Peter Jackson - You Are My Hero!

Runk Snusgrop
Rivendell

Jul 21 2011, 8:21am

Post #130 of 332 (15677 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

Random observation:

1. Ian said "Sloin" instead of "Gloin"!
2. Bofur has Pippi Longstocking braids!
3. Dwalin speaking Scottish only makes him even more menacing.
4. As we all know, damages to your frontal lobe does tend to make you a bit brash and unpredictable. Bifur looks completely unhinged @ 9:50! I can totally see him as the volatile one that the other have to hold back from time to time.
5. Bombur air-drumming Heart

(This post was edited by Runk Snusgrop on Jul 21 2011, 8:23am)

terrymerry
Rivendell

Jul 21 2011, 8:21am

Post #131 of 332 (15584 views)
Shortcut
hahaa!...Brilliant ... [In reply to] Can't Post

every thing going to be fine... can`t wait for the film ...going back to watch it again!Sly

stormcrow20
Gondor

Jul 21 2011, 8:23am

Post #132 of 332 (15618 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic!! [In reply to] Can't Post

WOW! This is absolutely spectacular! I felt like screaming with joy throughout the video! All of the dwarves look so much better "in person". The guys seem to get along really well.

My mind was racing the whole time:

Still seems like too much Smeagol, not enough Gollum to me.

Sir Ian knows all thirteen dwarves!

Still liking Mark Hadlow (Dori).

PJ: "I love working with Hugo and Cate, back in Rivendell again." Gandalf sitting at round table, Elrond in purple. White Council meets in Rivendell!

Can't wait to see Gandalf, Galadriel, Elrond and Saruman interact! What a group of wonderful characters and actors! Wish they could all film together.

Where's Radagast?

Elrond and Galadriel have new diadems!

I was right! Gandalf does have a new staff! (And a new hat, too. Wink)

Singing and music-playing dwarves!

Bombur is perfectly cast, love him! He's going to be excellent.

Kili: better in brown hair and clothes, but still too human.

Nori has a pipe!

The unexpected party will be a total riot!

Christopher Lee as Saruman: perfect ending, perfect set-up and reveal, perfect teaser! Love the eyebrows!

A greenlight from the shadows shall spring!

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 21 2011, 8:24am

Post #133 of 332 (15670 views)
Shortcut
Oh I most certainly am B-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Since I've never seen any of these guys act before (except Richard Armitage), I didn't know what to expect as until now they've just been a group of 13 actors to me. Watching them together is like witnessing order being formed out of chaos.

But the one Dwarf that's got me uber-excited is Kili. I was quite sad that he looked like an Elf in his promo pic, but I kind of held out hope that he'd be passable as a Dwarf. And well, he's not just "passable", he's as Dwarvish as they come.

For some reason, I wanna speak in gruff tones all day today Sly

phredegar
Bree

Jul 21 2011, 8:26am

Post #134 of 332 (15582 views)
Shortcut
Hear Hear [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed - magnificent.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 21 2011, 8:34am

Post #135 of 332 (15560 views)
Shortcut
Oops! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, don't know how that typo happened! Try 8:30 instead. Blush

In Reply To
You had me dragging the progress bar on my player until I hit the end

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 21 2011, 8:37am

Post #136 of 332 (15593 views)
Shortcut
I see the musical instruments :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Silverlode. It seems like almost every frame of this video has some hidden gem.

stormcrow20
Gondor

Jul 21 2011, 8:39am

Post #137 of 332 (15611 views)
Shortcut
And the dwarvish energy! [In reply to] Can't Post

From eating and partying to running and fighting! Wizards may be subtle, but dwarves certainly aren't!

And yes, Bombur air drumming is priceless! Laugh

Patty
Immortal

Jul 21 2011, 8:42am

Post #138 of 332 (15515 views)
Shortcut
It does have gems... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't tell you how many times I've paused and set back the Rivendell dinner scene. That was always what I had wanted in LotR--more scenes of the elven realms. Especially Rivendell. It seems like such a classy place to live.

Galadriel really could NOT be climbing those flets stairs in that gown, though. It must be what she wears for formal dinners outside of Lothlorien. Good to see that Elrond has several changes of clothes.Smile

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 21 2011, 8:42am

Post #139 of 332 (15481 views)
Shortcut
Add to this... [In reply to] Can't Post

also Galadriel's hot water bottle and Gandalf's flat cap, which probably won't make it into the final film

Elrond's snood in the same scene. Laugh

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 21 2011, 8:49am

Post #140 of 332 (15555 views)
Shortcut
I have never been unexcited about the Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sad,,,angry...depressed...curious...but (so far) never disappointed. ('cept that 3-D thing).

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 21 2011, 8:52am

Post #141 of 332 (15755 views)
Shortcut
Betting no-one else noticed this! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been comparing the Bag-End set PJ is on with the set in video #2 and noticed some things...

1)Markers: There are markers everywhere so that the set can be digitally tracked, this is so that they can place the rest of Bag-End (hallways, garden, lighting etc) using a computer, but I noticed the UK set has markers on the desk. The only reason they'd have those markers is for camera tracking. I assume some sort of exact camera track to allow a morph from old Bilbo to young at the same desk or Frodo to Bilbo as a flashback.

2)Dust: The NZ set is dusty, implying no-one has been there for a while, but is layed out exactly as it's seen when Bilbo uses it in FotR. This implies it's either before Bilbo starts the book (which doesn't explain the dust). Or after leaving for Rivendell. If after, we can expect Frodo to sit here and start writing Lord of the Rings as no-one else uses the room after Bilbo leaves.

3)Fireplace: The fireplace is lit in the UK, giving the room a warm, comfortable tone compared to the old dusty abandoned tone of the NZ set. I expect we shall see the warmer tone in a flash-back. Perhaps Frodo thinking back to happier times and missing his uncle.

4)Flowers: If enough time has passed to collect all that dust, those flowers last forever! Or they replace the bouquet frequently.

Mythopoeia
Bree

Jul 21 2011, 9:08am

Post #142 of 332 (15532 views)
Shortcut
I laughed basically the entire vid [In reply to] Can't Post

The Dwarves look amazing, and I completely lost it when I saw them playing instruments while bowls were being flung across the room--I first read the book when I was 5 and the entire Unexpected Party scene was so much fun to read that watching it come to life now has me grinning so wide it hurts. Unbelievable. All the Dwarves seem to be completely winning characters right now, I'm fond of them all already and am surprised at how easily I can tell them apart. Little details--In the bit where Thorin yells for the others he wasn't wearing his armor, which I thought was interesting. Also, how awkward would a dinner with Elrond be after that outrageous meal in Bag End? Ha! I also found it amusing that the Legolas and Thranduil(?) concept art is now carefully blurred out in the background! I guess we snuck a peek we weren't supposed to get.

As to the hoods, there was a moment where I caught a glimpse of the hat pegs by the door, I can't find it now, but I saw Gandalf's hat hanging there at any rate. There were other shapes below the hat, but I couldn't tell if they were hoods or not. Still, this is evidence at least that there are pegs, so I'd say hoods would be likely.

I don't think Kili looks at all Elvish in this video; on the contrary he looks very boyishly Dwarven, and I think that will work beautifully. My brother, who despised Kili's look in the official photo, is now in total favor of his look as well. Bombur looks even better than he did in the photos, as does Thorin, I think (Armitage is going to be brilliant in this role). And I finally got to see the back of Nori's starfish hair, so I'm a happy girl.

I loved how it looked like Bofur is hammering at the trolls' toes during the Trollshaw fight. Thorin's Dwarven sword looks great, I wonder if it will get broken in the fight to lead him into taking Orcrist?

And Ori, you are absolutely my fellah Wink

Welsh hero
Gondor

Jul 21 2011, 9:45am

Post #143 of 332 (15426 views)
Shortcut
OK, can I just skip the rest of 2011 so it can be 2012 [In reply to] Can't Post

Twitter: @IrfonPennant

Patty
Immortal

Jul 21 2011, 9:47am

Post #144 of 332 (15370 views)
Shortcut
Only if you... [In reply to] Can't Post

have all your affairs in order. The world will be ending right after the movie premiere, you know.Cool

stormcrow20
Gondor

Jul 21 2011, 10:07am

Post #145 of 332 (15458 views)
Shortcut
A few more observations. [In reply to] Can't Post

As can be seen in the group gathering with the size doubles:

Fili's double is posing with a medium-sized hammer.
Dwalin's double has two small axes on his back (they can also be seen on Graham's back earlier).
Bombur's double has a meat cleaver along with his ladle.
Thorin's double is holding a nice triangular axe.

I'm defintitely excited by these additional weapons!

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Jul 21 2011, 10:09am

Post #146 of 332 (15400 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant!!Absoulutely brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG!!!!!! I can't remember when I laughed so much in a video when i saw the dwarfes messing around.And Sir Christopher Lee...I almost had a heart attack.Heart

Power can be held in the smallest of things...

LaurenDrake

Jul 21 2011, 10:19am

Post #147 of 332 (15449 views)
Shortcut
Rob in Bag End [In reply to] Can't Post

That's definitely the side of Rob's face in the foreground as PJ stands behind Kili during JRD's visit. Wish we got to see more of him as Fili - though am liking the looks of Dean O'Gorman more and more as we go along.

maut
Rivendell

Jul 21 2011, 10:24am

Post #148 of 332 (15439 views)
Shortcut
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Awesome, Awesome!!! I like dwarves, l like every second of video! And I like SARUMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally!
Sorry, that's just emotions, nothing else...

Far over the misty mountains cold

To dungeons deep and caverns old

We must away ere break of day

To seek the pale enchanted gold.

(This post was edited by maut on Jul 21 2011, 10:25am)

LaurenDrake

Jul 21 2011, 10:25am

Post #149 of 332 (15454 views)
Shortcut
Names? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just an observation. It seems to me that the actors are using pronunciations of each other's dwarf names that sound how I always thought they would but have since discovered aren't the way Tolkien meant them e.g. actors saying Filli and Killi as opposed to Feeli and Keeli. Same with Balin and Dwalin. Do you think that's because they are still talking about them in the way they heard the names in their own heads (rather than the names they will use in character) or because those are the pronunciations that will be used in the films?

Ruijor
Rohan

Jul 21 2011, 10:46am

Post #150 of 332 (15398 views)
Shortcut
My God, I´ve just wake up and open my facebook... [In reply to] Can't Post

This video is so amazing!!! Shocked

When I saw Peter was in Pinewood Studios I said to myself, are they going to show us Saruman The White? They did and the second it appear I collapsed with excitment and relief! And Galadriel with her timeless beauty... Heart

The Dwarves are great. I have now no worries about them, they are truly a great bunch. What about that hug between father and son? Heartwarming...

And yes, it seems the Bilbo and Frodo scenes will take place in Bag End so let´s go on speculating a little more! Damn I´m happy right now, thank you Peter!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.