Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TheOneRing.net Exclusive: Behold! Thorin Oakenshield and Orcrist!
First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 19 2011, 1:05am

Post #376 of 401 (20848 views)
Shortcut
Haha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great comeback, GM! Laugh

And all along we thought he was looking for the Arkenstone. Cool

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Spencissimus
Lorien

Jul 19 2011, 1:10am

Post #377 of 401 (20880 views)
Shortcut
I find that it helps to not have a idea of what a character should look like [In reply to] Can't Post

Regardless of the physical descriptions given in the books, I'm one of those people who when reading a novel, I try to picture the characters and all I get is silhouettes or nothing. Of course, if that book is made into a movie, when I read the book after the release of its film counterpart, I will probably picture the characters as featured in the film. This was the case with the Harry Potter films, once the first movie came out, Harry, Ron and Hermione became Radcliffe, Grint and Watson when I read the books, as opposed to staying as shadows in my mind's eye.

This is probably why I'm a lot more relaxed than most Tolkienites about the appearance of not only Thorin, but all the Dwarves. Although sometimes not being able to picture a character when you're reading a book can be annoying, it certainly leads to a lack of expectation when that character becomes immortalised on the silver screen. Many of the posters on this board seem to be unable to get past the difference between their Thorin and Pj's Thorin. I simply ask why make a big deal about it? It's not the end of the world if someone's interpretation of a character is different to yours, and just because PJ's Thorin will be appearing in a phenomenally expensive Hollywood film doesn't make it the definative one.

As for the palaver about Ian McShane vs Richard Armitage, if you prefer McShane as Thorin, no-one's stopping you from picturing him when you read the books. To Flagg, no need to get so defensive against those who disagree, they're not attacking your choice, they're simply saying that he's not who they picture as Thorin.

(This post was edited by Spencissimus on Jul 19 2011, 1:13am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 19 2011, 1:20am

Post #378 of 401 (20801 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* [In reply to] Can't Post

Words of wisdom! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 19 2011, 1:22am

Post #379 of 401 (20836 views)
Shortcut
I think you might [In reply to] Can't Post

want to take note of names when you're reading these comments. There are a few people for whom that is a mantra, but I suspect if you really pay attention you might find that it's only a couple who say it frequently, and the rest of those who liked PJ's LOTR have a great deal of variation and disagreement in their opinions about things.

The truth is that majorities and minorities are both made up of individuals. They are not blocks of identical clones. And in the same way that you wouldn't appreciate it if I attributed all of the various obnoxiously-worded pro-GDT comments ever made here to you, neither do others appreciate being lumped in generally with someone who has made equally objectionable PJ-related comments. You're always talking to individuals here, all the more because many people read in threaded mode where responses are poster-specific.

Let's all - on both sides - drop the blanket statements in favor of speaking to the people we're actually speaking to, instead of talking to one individual in the light of everyone else who's ever annoyed us on a topic. Nobody is responsible to answer for the opinions of anyone but him or herself. Smile

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 19 2011, 1:28am

Post #380 of 401 (20860 views)
Shortcut
Only because [In reply to] Can't Post

all -volunteer fansites aren't generally considered "legit" in the same way as journalistic or official sites, and very few movie productions recognize fansites in the way that we've just been recognized. It's like Aragorn the king bending the knee to Frodo of the Shire. Not unfitting when all is known, but still...

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 19 2011, 1:31am

Post #381 of 401 (20851 views)
Shortcut
"Flet" is [In reply to] Can't Post

the word for the Elven tree platforms in Lorien.

Silverlode

-On Fairy Stories

Proudfoot
The Shire

Jul 19 2011, 1:39am

Post #382 of 401 (20905 views)
Shortcut
Great point about Smith. [In reply to] Can't Post

To quote from the show, Matt Smith "looks about 9," but all the 'he's too young' comments stopped right after his first episode. In many ways, his Doctor feels older than any of his 10 predecessors.

I'm hoping Armitage's performance as Thorin will have people forgetting this was ever a debate.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 19 2011, 1:45am

Post #383 of 401 (20875 views)
Shortcut
It's Kinda MY STYLE to sit back...Smoke alittle Longbottom Leaf and.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Watch,
in aDarkened corner of the Prancing Pony and wait for all THESE histSTORYically CRAZED-Logic POSTs? to settle down.... and take my place in this Thread...After 300PLUS Sized posts...Relax
It's Highly un-likely our Family in NZ will dissapoint.....anyone. It's all great! xoxoxOB

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jul 19 2011, 1:56am

Post #384 of 401 (20930 views)
Shortcut
I look at it this way: [In reply to] Can't Post

the people who are actually paying attention to this stuff are the crazed fans like us. That's a relatively small group of people that will inevitably see the movies in the theaters. Most people won't care until the movie comes out. I know I try to get my brother interesting in the production stuff for The Hobbit, but he could care less until he actually goes and sees the movie. Until then, there are going to be loud voices shouting about how this and that should look like this or that. I think most of it was born of the fact that Peter painted himself into a corner with the dwarves in LotR all looking similar, and then you had every single frickin' MMORPG game for 10 years doing dwarf designs exactly the same, including Warhammer, WoW, Dragon Age, etc. That doesn't help in breaking stereotypes of what these guys should look like.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
--Walter Sobchak

Proudfoot
The Shire

Jul 19 2011, 2:08am

Post #385 of 401 (20800 views)
Shortcut
Seems about right. [In reply to] Can't Post

As a matter of fact, my folks are in their mid-60s. Thorin, here, looks very much like he could be my dad's contemporary, with very similar amounts of visible aging. Granting my father hasn't been living as an exile most of his life, but he's an active, 'hale and hearty' 65 year old. I think they've really got Thorin pretty close to the mark.

hutch
Rohan

Jul 19 2011, 2:20am

Post #386 of 401 (20822 views)
Shortcut
undecided [In reply to] Can't Post

i actually have nothing to say about thorin's portrayal at this point, but since it seems this thread contains a post by every Ringer imaginable, i figured i'd get a post in too...

well even if i wasn't quite sold on thorin i guess 11 out of 13 aint bad. (what's up with Kili?!)

(This post was edited by hutch on Jul 19 2011, 2:21am)

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 19 2011, 2:27am

Post #387 of 401 (20755 views)
Shortcut
Bwah ha ha ha ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Klingons rock! ... but he doesn't have the gagh and prune juice. *le cry*

I'm pretty satisfied with Thorin, Klingon looking or not. I don't need him to look like the Thorin I imagine from the book. I'm happy to see a different interpretation, and I like Armitage's acting skills, so I'm fine with how he turned out.

I like the dwarf ears. Perhaps they're Klingon/Ferengi hybrids? Wink

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 19 2011, 3:08am

Post #388 of 401 (20780 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

World weariness has nothing to do with age. Nor do you need to be old to show how loss has haunted you. In fact I'd even go so far to say that it can be more effective in a slightly younger character, because it's less expected.

I know this from personal experience. I had to deal with some pretty difficult and dramatic losses in my childhood, and by the time I was 10, I had a world weariness that people noticed all the time. I was constantly asked what was wrong, why I was upset. I was very much a haunted kid. It took me years of therapy and self-exploration to get that look off of my face. I'm sure that many who know me would say that I looked "older" then than I do now, because my internal attitude towards life has changed so much for the positive now that it shows on my face.

Because I've been through that, I've at times felt a little insulted each time I read a post saying that someone young can't portray world weariness as well as someone older. It's kind of like a slap in the face, that my experience and the pain I felt growing up isn't as valid simply because I was young.

I really appreciate you bringing this up, because if you hadn't, I know I eventually would have.

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 19 2011, 3:22am

Post #389 of 401 (20804 views)
Shortcut
I have to say, as much as I find myself having different opinions from yours... [In reply to] Can't Post

It bothers me how many people have been throwing out the phrase "get used to the idea." You have a right to your opinion, and that doesn't mean you don't already know that the cast is what it is and will not likely change unless there's a great emergency of some sort.

For the most part, I like the dwarves, with small amount of niggling concerns here and there. And at the same time, I can totally respect that you have a different opinion.

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Jul 19 2011, 3:32am

Post #390 of 401 (20833 views)
Shortcut
After all, the dwarves did sing... [In reply to] Can't Post

Far over the misty mountains weird.
To dungeons deep and caverns feared.
We must away, ere break of day,
To claim our long-forgotten...beard.

Wink

Phibbus
Rohan

Jul 19 2011, 4:52am

Post #391 of 401 (20771 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Beard of Durin I was, of course, preserved in a shrine of impervious crystal set in gold and mithril which used to be brought out on Durin's Day and paraded in effigy down the Mountain and through the streets of Dale. In the earlier drafts of the story, it was the Beard which Bilbo ransomed for his share of the treasure, but Tolkien decided that, aside from it being larger than Bilbo, himself, and thus very difficult to conceal, the Dwarves really would have dashed our hero to bits for such an affront. The Arkenstone was Plan B..

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 19 2011, 5:01am

Post #392 of 401 (20691 views)
Shortcut
Lol! Brilliant! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Gandalf's Mother:
Far over the misty mountains weird.
To dungeons deep and caverns feared.
We must away, ere break of day,
To claim our long-forgotten...beard.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 19 2011, 5:02am

Post #393 of 401 (20683 views)
Shortcut
*snert* Plan B. :-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Phibbus:

The Beard of Durin I was, of course, preserved in a shrine of impervious crystal set in gold and mithril which used to be brought out on Durin's Day and paraded in effigy down the Mountain and through the streets of Dale. In the earlier drafts of the story, it was the Beard which Bilbo ransomed for his share of the treasure, but Tolkien decided that, aside from it being larger than Bilbo, himself, and thus very difficult to conceal, the Dwarves really would have dashed our hero to bits for such an affront. The Arkenstone was Plan B..

TORn Calendar

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 19 2011, 7:43am

Post #394 of 401 (20703 views)
Shortcut
That's excellent, Richie Rich [In reply to] Can't Post

It could be an official one it's so good - I like the way you've put the framing and the names in. And matched up the dwarves. And taken the strange glare off Thorin's teeth....

Not sure I'd want a wild-eyed and angry looking man - er, sorry, dwarf - waving a sword at me every time I switch the computer on, but it's a lovely piece of work just the same! Wink

bookgirl13
Lorien

Jul 19 2011, 8:44am

Post #395 of 401 (20690 views)
Shortcut
Good point [In reply to] Can't Post

I would also add that Thorin being exiled does not mean he was homeless. He might have had to work harder at least initially than he would have expected to do if he'd remained in the Lonely Mountain, but he obviously was not in poverty when he arrived at Bag End. His clothing was rich and he had a golden harp.

I find it difficult to imagine him as grizzled and careworn as if being exiled led to a nomadic, tramp-like existence where every year was firmly etched on his face. There was an obvious lack of real preparation - mental or practical - for the realities of the quest, or at least the sheer slog of the journey there, where they could expect to live rough for much of the time. This is itself evidence that they were living fairly comfortably, if not at the level that Thorin took as his due.

So he might have been haggard in appearance, but there is no indication that he was within the book. Whereas the book did stress leadership, fighting skills, courage, together with pride, arrogance, and a sense of (rightful) entitllement to his lost inheritance. Those qualities appear to be the ones PJ is highlighting, and from this picture RA can be easily identified as the one with mission and the driving force amongst the motley dwarven crew.

Also I do like the way that PJ has subverted the standard Knights of the Round Table quest with this ragtag bunch of dwarves, plus one hobbit and a wandering wizard.

DrDeath153
Lorien

Jul 19 2011, 9:12am

Post #396 of 401 (20671 views)
Shortcut
Well i was replying to someone who was in broad agreement [In reply to] Can't Post

So i thought the plural would be appropriate. In any case, while people who hold similar opinions to me might be a minority, i do not believe it to be a minority of one, so i will use 'we' when talking about interpretations of Thorin. It may sound a bit like invoking a fictitious army of supporters, but it isn't really intended as that, more a real rabble of grumbling malcontents.

In terms to your very gracious comment on one of my actual points (i do note with some chagrin that people are more likely to challenge my on matters of grammar than of the actual points and content of my postsUnsureTongue), yes, there is a similarity between Denethor and Thorin's relationship with Gandalf, but the big difference that kind of puts an end to it's effectiveness of a comparison is that Thorin unlike Denethor has not given up the fight, even if they believe they have similar chances of success in winning it: Tolkien very tellingly describes Thorin as an 'heir without hope' in the appendices among other sources. Denethor of course has lost all hope, has withdrawn into despair and ultimately fulfills the logical end of it. With Thorin, he is despairing, but he has not surrendered to it- it would be the height of dishonour to die peacefully while his subjects remain without their home, he must continue fighting in order to defend himself and his people from it. In that way he is similar to the film's Theoden- he is acting in the best interests of his people in accordance with the Northern Theory of courage- that even in the face of ultimate defeat you keep fighting and you fight with honour. In the words of Theoden 'If this is to be our end, then i would have them make such an end as to be worthy of remembrance!'

The reason i use the movie version of Theoden in this comparison rather than the book version is in terms of Theoden's relationship with Gandalf specifically. In the book Theoden is utterly convinced by Gandalf following his rejuvenation by him, in fact he's prepared to do more than Gandalf ever hoped of him ('You do not know your own skill as a healer....'). In the film, once rejuvenated, while Theoden is thankful and hears the advice of Gandalf, he trusts his own wisdom more than Gandalf's. The film's Theoden suspects other motives for Gandalf's interest in him, just like Thorin. While Theoden and Thorin both accept the broad notion of Gandalf's plan, they do not trust him enough to follow it without qualification- Theoden accepts Gandalf's suggestion of leaving Edoras and taking the fight to Saruman but is not prepared to gamble the long term safety of his people and instead of confronting Saruman's hosts in the open field and retreats to Helm's Deep, blocking himself into a last stand, while Thorin accepts Gandalf's plan of stealth but insists that he tags along. You could argue that in doing so, Gandalf wastes time he could have spent convincing the White Council to attack. Had Gandalf been able to make them attack earlier he might have made it to Erebor quicker and perhaps put an end to the self-destructive deadlock between Thorin and the elves and men before the Goblins descended. Of course Tolkien doesn't make quite as clear that this decision kind of 'caused' Thorin's death in the same way that saving Faramir had the knock-on effect of leaving Theoden to die against the Witch King, but you can see the path it might follow.

Dr Death

Bran
Lorien

Jul 19 2011, 10:29am

Post #397 of 401 (20730 views)
Shortcut
I've just realised where I've seen Balin before [In reply to] Can't Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eamonn_Campbell

Seems he's spent the last 30 years playing with the Dubliners. Should augur well for the dwarf songs......

Wink

Mawr yw ein braint i berthyn i'r gwm Llynfi

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 19 2011, 10:38am

Post #398 of 401 (20735 views)
Shortcut
I'd also like an explanation to the obvious issue... [In reply to] Can't Post

Why Gandalf doesn't read the runes, even if it's just 'cause it's dark or he didn't have time. Seriously, those runes are hard to miss...

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 19 2011, 11:00am

Post #399 of 401 (20992 views)
Shortcut
Happy to oblige ;-P // [In reply to] Can't Post

/

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

namarie
Rohan

Jul 19 2011, 12:28pm

Post #400 of 401 (20597 views)
Shortcut
you forgot to put more white hair :P // [In reply to] Can't Post

There is always hope

First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.