Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TheOneRing.net Exclusive: Behold! Thorin Oakenshield and Orcrist!
First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next page Last page  View All

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2011, 7:04pm

Post #326 of 401 (20370 views)
Shortcut
Oh I'm used to it all right [In reply to] Can't Post

The fact that Armitage has been cast in the role is something I've long since come to terms with. But when I hear people criticising my personal interpretation of Thorin (or any other aspect of Tolkien's work), I feel obliged to defend it, and hopefully enable them to understand why I feel the way I do. Angelic

Richie Rich
Rivendell

Jul 18 2011, 7:09pm

Post #327 of 401 (20415 views)
Shortcut
So do all who live to see such casting... [In reply to] Can't Post

But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the actor that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, besides the will of fans. Armitage was meant to find the beard. In which case, you were also meant to enjoy it. And that is an encouraging thought.

Cool

Garfeimao
Rohan

Jul 18 2011, 7:14pm

Post #328 of 401 (20365 views)
Shortcut
awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

Very funny Richie Rich, words fail me.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

Garfeimao
Rohan

Jul 18 2011, 7:19pm

Post #329 of 401 (20574 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Kyriel [In reply to] Can't Post

I needed that little Oded break. And yes, that beard length is uber hot. Must be what the male Dwarves in Thorin's family strive for.

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

Marillė by the Sea
Rivendell

Jul 18 2011, 7:20pm

Post #330 of 401 (20337 views)
Shortcut
Correct me if I'm wrong but [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the reason why they blocked out half of Balin is because in the original picture, Dwalin overlaps Balin, so they needed Thorin to block out the jutting elbow and cloak of Dwalin that overlaps Balin.

And I think they cut off Bombur and Kili at the end, as well as Thorin's other arm, is to get the resolution/display ratio just right (although my MacBook Pro has a 8:5 ratio, so none of the wallpaper sizes really fits!)

But of course, the wallpaper definitely could be adjusted so that everyone fits in all nicely and still follow the display ratios.

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Jul 18 2011, 7:20pm

Post #331 of 401 (20271 views)
Shortcut
LOL!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaughLaughLaugh Truly amazing Richie Rich!

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 18 2011, 7:21pm

Post #332 of 401 (20280 views)
Shortcut
If as light as you suggest, which [In reply to] Can't Post

is entirely possible given Elven craft, that is one more reason for Orcrist to be of the Middle-eastern-y sabre type. In order to be a proper cleaving sword most of the weight would have to be towards its point. This doesn't rule out the leaf blade design (a nice compromise between cleaving and thrusting) but ideally, for maximum hacking (as well as slicing, when drawn across one's target) ability the sabre shape is ideal.

Ececheira
Bree

Jul 18 2011, 7:26pm

Post #333 of 401 (20267 views)
Shortcut
Just to clarify [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not the opinion I have an issue with, just the repetition of the same points again and again.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 18 2011, 7:33pm

Post #334 of 401 (20241 views)
Shortcut
Looking at Armitage now [In reply to] Can't Post

he'll make a much better Thorin than Bard imho. Having said that it is clear to me, especially in light of who was cast as Bard, that Thorin, rather than Bard, will carry the kind of weight that Aragorn did in LOTR.

Zizix
Rivendell

Jul 18 2011, 7:34pm

Post #335 of 401 (20274 views)
Shortcut
Maybe they said to each other "Nah, nobody is going to guess, are they? Nah!" ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
He does kinda look like Gowron, doesn't he. And I can't help thinking of the quote "Revenge, a dish best served Cold" that Christopher Plummer uttered in Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country.

But then, the Klingons are a warrior race, like the Dwarves, so maybe the inspiration is closer than we think.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2011, 7:37pm

Post #336 of 401 (20261 views)
Shortcut
Armitage's supporters repeat their opinions just as much as his detractors. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Rosebud
The Shire

Jul 18 2011, 7:38pm

Post #337 of 401 (20202 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that we are seeing the same thing at works here. Some of the characters are somewhat 'reinterpreted' to cater to the mainstream movie going demographic. The assessment is that "no teenagers will go and watch a movie where all characters are old men with long beard", and to be fair, the producers probably have a point. Having that said, as a fan of the book i'd selfishly like to see as much as possible of it on screen. Something however tells me that a lot more than some beard will be altered and that maybe some of the people who pride themselves with their open-mindedness now will get tested too later on. Wink

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jul 18 2011, 7:39pm

Post #338 of 401 (20361 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps it was just your tone? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's not the opinion I have an issue with, just the repetition of the same points again and again.

There are more subtle ways to make one's point.

Laugh

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 18 2011, 7:47pm

Post #339 of 401 (20326 views)
Shortcut
Even Gimli doesn't maintain continuity with the Gimli look. [In reply to] Can't Post

See the flet scene in the FOTR-EE.

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
We sang as the soft gold of Laurelin
And the bright silver of Telperion,
Brought forth the dawn of the world.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
In my torment I kept faith,
And I waited.
But you never came.
And when I returned you drew sword,
And when I called your names you drew bow.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
I will return your hatred,
And I am hungry.

Bound
Rohan

Jul 18 2011, 7:48pm

Post #340 of 401 (20179 views)
Shortcut
haha... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see this all getting slightly touchy.... it's not heated or personal but touchy...

I can kinda undertand both sides of the problem here....

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jul 18 2011, 7:50pm

Post #341 of 401 (20208 views)
Shortcut
Maybe Gowron looks like Thorin? [In reply to] Can't Post

All this Klingon talk has gotten the the original theme music stuck in my head now, thanks. Tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58wJRrvVgZI

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jul 18 2011, 7:52pm

Post #342 of 401 (20196 views)
Shortcut
I'm not even involved. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just been waiting for an excuse to use that, it was just an example. Evil

Bound
Rohan

Jul 18 2011, 7:56pm

Post #343 of 401 (20209 views)
Shortcut
well nothing like a bit of humour... [In reply to] Can't Post

to break the tension.

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

DrDeath153
Lorien

Jul 18 2011, 8:05pm

Post #344 of 401 (20270 views)
Shortcut
Well in a sense that's what the controversy was about from the start [In reply to] Can't Post

Certainly for me. While it would have been nice for Richard Armitage to have resembled the Thorin in my mind's eye, it's not his look that is the real problem with making him younger- it's the knock on effect to his character and his arc. I've got no doubt Richard Armitage is suited to the role the writers have written, it's just a case of what's the nature of the role they've written? If Thorin looked as old as Gandalf that's only half the battle won (admittedly the more important half in a visual representation), it's what the look tells us about the nature of the character that is just as important. This is not only not Thorin as we imagined him looking, this suggests he's not the Thorin as we imagined him acting- age effects more than just the colour of your hair and Thorin's character is that of an old embittered King. I've said it before, but he's actually more like Theoden (at least Theoden's cinematic counterpart) than he is to Aragorn- Thorin's attitude to Gandalf is very similar to Theoden's in the film- courteous but not without suspicion.

Dr Death

Bow&Helm
The Shire

Jul 18 2011, 8:09pm

Post #345 of 401 (20509 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for all your hard work TORn. Can't wait to see Thorin in action...

Jettorex
Lorien

Jul 18 2011, 8:10pm

Post #346 of 401 (20291 views)
Shortcut
Now that its sunk in [In reply to] Can't Post

..... I didn't want to comment too soon as I was kind of shocked when I saw it and wanted to give it a while to sink in. Well, I think its sunk in and I still dont like it at all. In a nut shell:

Too young looking
Too good looking (in a Hollywood cliche kind of way)
Too human looking

I am all for dwarf diversity but at least it has to be in the same ball park.

Thorin (and Kili) IMHO are so non-dwarven in their appearance that I fear it could be a huge distraction and take me right out of the movie. Hopefully the phrase "hot dwarves" wont be on my mind the whole movie.

- "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2011, 8:10pm

Post #347 of 401 (20160 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2011, 8:19pm

Post #348 of 401 (20130 views)
Shortcut
A long-lost ancestor...? [In reply to] Can't Post

Who's to say that by the 15th age, the descendants of Middle-earth won't have discovered space travel?

I always thought the technology in Star Trek seemed a little bit "magical". Tongue

I would rather be watching Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" and Ridley Scott's "Prometheus"...it's going to be a long few years.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2011, 8:29pm

Post #349 of 401 (20186 views)
Shortcut
"We"? [In reply to] Can't Post

See, this is my only beef with you, as wondeful a poster as you are. The Tolkien fandom doesn't have one collective mind that would share the same opinions and imaginations. While you are allowed to have all the opinions you have, and make all the arguments you can come up with, you can't say that your opinion is the only definitive truth that all else must bow to. So being left out of this ambigious "we" really kind of hurts my feelings.

When I read the Hobbit for the first time, I imagined Thorin with black or graying black long beard and hair, and strong, noble, hard and dry features complete with the noble Roman nose. It's an image much closer to Howe's painting than the Michelin Man that is Gimli, mostly inspired by my dreams of the old Scandinavians and their mythology that inspired Tolkien too.

Nice comparision between Thorin and Theoden, btw. Though I'd wonder if Denethor would be a closer comparison. There doesn't seem to be much love lost between Thorin and Gandalf, at least from Thorin's side.

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

Garfeimao
Rohan

Jul 18 2011, 8:31pm

Post #350 of 401 (20173 views)
Shortcut
Actors really are chameleons [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it's clear that Richard, like most other actors, is willing to change hair color, cut hair for length or wear a wig, and all other manner of body changes in order to better portray a character.

And thank you very much for those links, the fashion spread was most enjoyable. Wink

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.