Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TheOneRing.net Exclusive: Behold! Thorin Oakenshield and Orcrist!
First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

mulubinba
Rivendell

Jul 18 2011, 9:17am

Post #226 of 401 (20657 views)
Shortcut
Runes and Ring [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just been checking this out too Smile Angerthas Daeron was used for inscriptions and carvings. I found it hard to find a match for "R" so thanks for clearing that up.

While I am still in geek mode, did you notice Thorin has the dwarven rune (or is it dwarf rune?) for "T" on the ring of his right hand? I haven't been able to make out the other symbols on the ring though.

(This post was edited by mulubinba on Jul 18 2011, 9:17am)

stormcrow20
Gondor

Jul 18 2011, 9:37am

Post #227 of 401 (20777 views)
Shortcut
Hail Thorin, King Under the Mountain! [In reply to] Can't Post

Or is that a wild man of Dunland? Tongue

I'm not thrilled with his appearance...but I'm not exactly disappointed, either. Regardless, I am confident in Richard's performance, and I can't wait to see him in action!

For some reason, I want to see his hair pulled back.

I love the costume and the armor. I really like the rings, but I wonder if people will think they are of the Seven.

Orcrist! Biter at last! I love it. It's beautiful. And it looks great in the hands of a dwarf!

Oh, how I wish Toy Biz were still around. Each of these photos has left me yearning for a nice set of action figures. I really, desperately hope another company will step up and give us Hobbit figures of matching quality!

A greenlight from the shadows shall spring!

Patty
Immortal

Jul 18 2011, 9:47am

Post #228 of 401 (20734 views)
Shortcut
I can't imagine that some business won't step in... [In reply to] Can't Post

too much money to be made here. Who knows, maybe there will be some more Burger King toys?Laugh

Permanent address: Into the West

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jul 18 2011, 10:02am

Post #229 of 401 (20628 views)
Shortcut
Do you mean the hilt? [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks like the pommel is only half a curve...

I did notice that what little pommel area is shown is rather blade like.

It may just be the pommel or an artifact, but I wonder if they are trying to pull a Darth Maul on us with a another blade?

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

Delrond
Rohan

Jul 18 2011, 10:05am

Post #230 of 401 (20684 views)
Shortcut
Gray [In reply to] Can't Post

To me, the portrayal of Thorin in action will determine his believability. He's not book Thorin, and if I passed him on the street or was charged with picking him out of a line-up, I'd fail to recognize him on both counts. Balin is distinctly gray and I would have been more troubled had he not been. Smile

Things are now in motion that cannot be undone.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2011, 10:14am

Post #231 of 401 (20622 views)
Shortcut
Heh! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Well, this thread has gotten so long, it's a wonder you could find this, I was almost going to link to it for you! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

edinlin

Jul 18 2011, 10:15am

Post #232 of 401 (20677 views)
Shortcut
Thorin action figure [In reply to] Can't Post

I want a Thorin action figure. He can have battles with my Guy of Gisborne action figureCool

Thorin looks fantastic.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2011, 10:22am

Post #233 of 401 (20650 views)
Shortcut
What is curious about THAT rune... [In reply to] Can't Post

is that it is "R" in Angerthas Moria (LotR Appendices), but if you use the runes found on Thror's Map, it is a "T".

Tolkien drew that Map before he'd settled on the runes used in LotR.

I think the other sides of that ring are only designs.

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2011, 10:24am

Post #234 of 401 (20636 views)
Shortcut
Bwhahaha! Gramma, that pic is perfect! // [In reply to] Can't Post

willowing
Lorien

Jul 18 2011, 10:28am

Post #235 of 401 (20764 views)
Shortcut
Thorin or Richard(in disguise)... [In reply to] Can't Post

could pass as the twin brother for Nicholas Cage.Cool Would be nice to see their stunt doubles.Smile

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jul 18 2011, 10:36am

Post #236 of 401 (20687 views)
Shortcut
Actually, you know who he kind of reminds me of? [In reply to] Can't Post

Rocker/director Rob Zombie, heh. Cool

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
--Walter Sobchak

(This post was edited by Maiarmike on Jul 18 2011, 10:38am)

mulubinba
Rivendell

Jul 18 2011, 10:45am

Post #237 of 401 (20651 views)
Shortcut
Ring rune [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't realise there was Angerthas Erebor as well until I explored this further.

I think it is appropriate that they used the runic alphabet from Thror's map though.

Fantastic details on this costume. Smile

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2011, 11:11am

Post #238 of 401 (20603 views)
Shortcut
*Very* nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the way you've brightened the Dwarves' coloring, and putting Thorin above them instead of in the middle of them works wonderfully.

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2011, 11:16am

Post #239 of 401 (20606 views)
Shortcut
Gah, I wish you hadn't said that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I'll never be able to take movie-Thorin seriously again! CrazyWink

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2011, 11:32am

Post #240 of 401 (20591 views)
Shortcut
Of "T" and "TH"... [In reply to] Can't Post

It just occurred to me: Why was the rune for "T" used, and not the rune for "TH"? On the Map, Tolkien used the Old English thorn for "TH".

Thorin, Thrain, Thror..."TH" all.

Unless it is, that the designs on the sides of the ring are "stylized" thorns. That is quite possible, it looks like two "TH"s back-to-back, much like the back-to-back "R"s in the JRRT logo.

So that may be it: "T" on top, but a double "TH" on each side. I wonder who designed that ring?

mulubinba
Rivendell

Jul 18 2011, 11:46am

Post #241 of 401 (20523 views)
Shortcut
Off to .. [In reply to] Can't Post

....check my dwarf runes. You're right! i'd forgotten about the TH being one rune. I like the idea of the side symbols being stylized thorns.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2011, 11:58am

Post #242 of 401 (20691 views)
Shortcut
Ian McShane as Thorin Oakenshield (photoshop) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a bit rubbish at image editing, and I couldn't even bring myself to confront the task of whitening his hair, but this is essentially how I'm going to imagine Thorin from now on.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2011, 12:00pm

Post #243 of 401 (20584 views)
Shortcut
Just a touch of hyperbole [In reply to] Can't Post

Most dragons in western popular culture resemble big muscular dinosaurs with wings attached to their backs, as opposed to the more elegant wyrms who inhabit Tolkien's world.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2011, 12:02pm

Post #244 of 401 (20501 views)
Shortcut
David Bowie would have made a great Thranduil. // [In reply to] Can't Post

reags
Rivendell

Jul 18 2011, 12:03pm

Post #245 of 401 (20520 views)
Shortcut
Hey that's a pretty decent Photo-chop job! [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually like the look of yours - the saggy eyes and cheek bones showing the age while the eyes look like it has a thousand tales to share.

The current Thorin is alright I guess since I wasn't sure how to picture him, but the more I look at him, the more he looks like a descendant of Cpt. Jack Sparrow.

Arrrr shivers me timbers!

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jul 18 2011, 12:06pm

Post #246 of 401 (20572 views)
Shortcut
Woah! [In reply to] Can't Post

That scares me a bit! Shocked

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
--Walter Sobchak

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2011, 12:11pm

Post #247 of 401 (20519 views)
Shortcut
Well, it should [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin can be a pretty scary fellow – perhaps most memorably so when he attempts to kill the treacherous Bilbo towards the end of the book.

chrismortega
Bree

Jul 18 2011, 12:13pm

Post #248 of 401 (20656 views)
Shortcut
My updated photoshop of all dwarves plus bilbo and gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

...and through the magic of digital editing, Thorin has been reunited with the top of his head!

http://i.imgur.com/kyppa.jpg

"It was deliberate, it was deliberate..."

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 18 2011, 12:49pm

Post #249 of 401 (20526 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks again to you, and everyone, who takes the time to do these. They really help put everything in context. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Vellamo
Rivendell

Jul 18 2011, 12:57pm

Post #250 of 401 (20482 views)
Shortcut
A perfect compromise [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup, slightly younger than the book suggests but fortunately older than many have dreaded Weta will portray him. I'm quite happy with this!

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.