Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TheOneRing.net Exclusive: Behold! Thorin Oakenshield and Orcrist!
First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

marillaraina
Rohan

Jul 18 2011, 3:50am

Post #201 of 401 (23916 views)
Shortcut
Not surprised [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...but not in the heart! This is an intimidating Thorin. As he should be!

And now we know the answer to the mystery of Kili: he resembles his uncle! Smile

The whole group together, here? Thank you! Heart

I said as soon as we saw Kili that I could easily imagine a young Thorin looking much the same, so I figured between Fili and Kili we were sort of seeing the route to Thorin. Thorin and Kili's coloring is similar, don't think Kili has as much of a widow's peak but admittedly it's hard to tell with the wind machine. :) Fili seems to have the widow's peak and more of the nose(though Kili's does seem to have a bit of business done to it). Kili has the "glower", albeit more of a copy than the real thing(as it should be, he's a relatively sheltered young dwarf). IMO there is definitely a story reason for the way they look.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 18 2011, 4:08am

Post #202 of 401 (23924 views)
Shortcut
Orcrist's detailing does resemble that of Sting [In reply to] Can't Post

but the shape of the blade appears more sabre-like (like Hadhafang) than leaf bladed (like Sting) or long sword-y (like Glamdring). I cant wait to see its entire length (that's what she said?)

Back in July 2009 we had a brief discussion about Sting, Glamdring and Orcrist. Back then I suggested Orcrist would be similar to an Asian Dao. The sword Thorin holds appears wider and heavier below the fuller (on the cutting edge) towards the point... excellent for cleaving Orcs!

Of course I could be way off, Orcrist might look nothing like this:

Phibbus
Rohan

Jul 18 2011, 4:15am

Post #203 of 401 (23781 views)
Shortcut
Thank you QT [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, the link worked and showed Glamdring clearly. While it looks like it and Orcrist may share the same, slightly flaring, "leaf" blade shape, the similarity in hilts between the new sword and Sting is certainly more readily apparent. Perhaps, while the two swords are conceived as "mates" to be wielded by two different owners, they've conceptualized Orcrist and Sting as a matched sword and dagger set originally worn by the same person.

I've been wondering, given that they're going to give us some dwarf-history flashbacks, whether they'll be tempted to do the same to illustrate the history of the blades. Back when Itaril was first leaked, I had speculated elsewhere that maybe she actually was the character of Idril, to be used precisely in such an illustrative flashback. While I was of course wrong, and while Jackson doesn't have rights to any Silmarillion material, the rights agreement Tolkien originally signed does have a stipulation allowing the filmmakers to draw on any "related" writings as they pertain to TH and LotR, and it might be interesting to see a bit of the Gondolin-Goblin war.

It would also be interesting to see a reason put forward as to why Elrond doesn't ask for his Great-grandpa's and (possibly) Grandma's swords back, at any rate Tongue

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2011, 4:17am

Post #204 of 401 (23894 views)
Shortcut
I'm curious about how a Dwarf will be able to wield a sword made for an Elf [In reply to] Can't Post

Wouldn't it be too long?

Not that I really understand anything about swords..

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Jul 18 2011, 4:19am

Post #205 of 401 (23903 views)
Shortcut
All of them rock// [In reply to] Can't Post

Pedich Edhellen? Lau? Hria cuilë.

End of line.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 18 2011, 4:25am

Post #206 of 401 (23908 views)
Shortcut
Was thinking that as well [In reply to] Can't Post

But all of them have rather long weapons, heavier at the end like axes or hammers. The trick with swords is to work in a slicing motion though.

Consider two handed great swords such as the famous Braveheart claymore... maybe in the hands of Thorin Orcrist will be proportionately similar? Definitely will take some strength and a wide stance to wield.

Phibbus
Rohan

Jul 18 2011, 4:29am

Post #207 of 401 (23864 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

So you're seeing a scimitar shape, Dennis? I thought that curve to the blade was part of the leaf shape, now I'm not so sure. I'm trying to discern whether the riser ridge has a curve to it, but I can't quite tell.

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

arphen
The Shire

Jul 18 2011, 4:33am

Post #208 of 401 (23843 views)
Shortcut
With regards to the beards... [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with you completely.

A fine explanation of why robust beards are so imperative to dwarves.

Brannon nín cuia

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 18 2011, 4:34am

Post #209 of 401 (23806 views)
Shortcut
The scabbard and cross guard too [In reply to] Can't Post

suggest an asymmetrical design. It may yet turn out to be a leaf bladed sword though... I really wish we could see more of it, heh.

(Still, I am thrilled that PJ remembered us for this one!)

Mythopoeia
Bree

Jul 18 2011, 5:52am

Post #210 of 401 (23854 views)
Shortcut
Group Photo With Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

Made as a wallpaper for my laptop: http://faeriecarousel.deviantart.com/#/d3zgo48

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2011, 7:08am

Post #211 of 401 (23754 views)
Shortcut
Amazing! Though I'm wondering why the writing is in runes [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't Orcrist supposed to be an Elvish blade? Why would Elves use the Dwarf-runes for inscribing their swords? Hmm... Crazy

Briza
Bree

Jul 18 2011, 7:09am

Post #212 of 401 (23799 views)
Shortcut
Re:I'm curious about how a Dwarf will be able to wield a sword made for an Elf by Faenoriel [In reply to] Can't Post

Orcrist is a well made and balanced sword, it would not weigh more then a few lbs. At a guess maybe 2-3lb, so Thorin would have little problem wielding it.

I think the main problem would be his pride, and wither he could bring himself to use a elven weapon. In saying that, the Weapons used by the other dwarves all look quite crude, so Thorin would recognize the quality of the workmanship in Orcrist hence his decision to use it.

Rufus
Bree

Jul 18 2011, 7:09am

Post #213 of 401 (23803 views)
Shortcut
Is it sad [In reply to] Can't Post

That in the cold light of morming I still love this look for Thorin

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 18 2011, 7:16am

Post #214 of 401 (23861 views)
Shortcut
Sad? No... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... or at least, if it is, we're both sad. Wink

The one I regret - more now, as I see composite pictures of the whole group, is Bombur. He just doesn't seem to fit. No beard, that bizarre plait and the pantomime costume. But I'm sure I'll get used to him!

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2011, 7:19am

Post #215 of 401 (23762 views)
Shortcut
You are brilliant :o) [In reply to] Can't Post

And this is why I should've read the entire thread *before* asking my previous question Blush

Spencissimus
Lorien

Jul 18 2011, 7:19am

Post #216 of 401 (23827 views)
Shortcut
Can I ask you something? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know you have your gripes with Thorin's appearance, and that's cool, but if you had nothing to go by except a description of his character traits (greed, determination etc.) - no physical description of Thorin, or of what a Tolkienesque dwarf should look like - would you say that this visual interpretation of Thorin fits the kind of character Tolkien wrote him as?

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2011, 7:21am

Post #217 of 401 (23690 views)
Shortcut
It looks like the pommel is only half a curve... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and the other half of the curve is the scabbard. That probably didn't make sense, did it? Evil

vigshane
The Shire

Jul 18 2011, 7:29am

Post #218 of 401 (23751 views)
Shortcut
Congrats! [In reply to] Can't Post

For two weeks, the first thing I did in the morning was opening TORN's page and seeing if there was any picture of the Dwarves. And today, I'm so glad to see TORN giving the world the first look at Thorin!

Though I'm not one of TORN's staff, I still had a strong feeling of honour on that!

I want to thank you for all you have done these years and Congratulations!

Always being a Ringer!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 18 2011, 7:35am

Post #219 of 401 (23717 views)
Shortcut
Because he personalized it?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us in the Reading Room for "The Return of the King" Book V! starting now!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2011, 7:37am

Post #220 of 401 (23722 views)
Shortcut
Yeah sure! [In reply to] Can't Post

They could go, "Don't water your beard, Father Christmas", and totally direct it at Balin Sly

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2011, 7:42am

Post #221 of 401 (23646 views)
Shortcut
As you should! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I'm not one of TORN's staff, I still had a strong feeling of honour on that!

We're ALL what make TORn TORn SmileHeart

vigshane
The Shire

Jul 18 2011, 7:51am

Post #222 of 401 (23704 views)
Shortcut
TORned already! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

We're ALL what make TORn TORn SmileHeart

I love what you said, and we are totally TORned..Heart

Me and my friends are now trying to translate and broadcast the latest news of the Hobbit to Chinese audience and readers. TORn inspires a lot.Wink

Always being a Ringer!

Patty
Immortal

Jul 18 2011, 8:46am

Post #223 of 401 (23655 views)
Shortcut
Kangi, you voice my feelings exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I think he looks like a Klingon. But I'm confident that that's just because it's a still--in action, I'm sure that comparison will go away really quickly. Some of it has to do with his costume, though. Were Klingons also workers in metal ? (wasn't a huge Star Trek fan after TOS).

But he needs more gray hair to be believable to me. He doesn't have to have nearly as much as Balin--people gray at different stages, so I see no reason why dwarves wouldn't. But he definitely needs more gray than this. And a longer beard with a little more gray.

Permanent address: Into the West

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2011, 8:52am

Post #224 of 401 (23993 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Surely by now everything's been said, I'm late in posting, but here is my take on several things:

1. Thorin looks great!
2. As said, not too young, not too old!
3. Orcrist is incredibly beautiful.
4. (why isn't Glamdring like this?) Not in beauty, but similar in style to Sting and Orcrist.
5. the great serpent, Smaug. Serpent, not dragon. Did Tolkien ever use "serpent". I know of course they wouldn't use Tolkien's term "worm" for a massive press release.
6. I'm not sure if he looks human, Aragorn-esque, Pirate-ish or something, but I generally like the look.
7. I'm really intrigued about Thrain, Thror and most of all Dain, now. (and his 500 Dwarves, by the way).

Congrats to TORn on getting the exclusive! Smile

Visit Mexico from A to Z! Index to the whole series here.
Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

duats
Grey Havens

Jul 18 2011, 9:14am

Post #225 of 401 (23691 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien barely gives Thorin physical descriptions as it is, and this is still nowhere close to what I was picturing.

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.