Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TheOneRing.net Exclusive: Behold! Thorin Oakenshield and Orcrist!
First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2011, 12:50am

Post #176 of 401 (24974 views)
Shortcut
I guess we have different ideas of what's tasteful, then, but sorry if I bit your head off ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to TORN. I'm not usually this grumpy. Wink

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jul 18 2011, 12:54am

Post #177 of 401 (24997 views)
Shortcut
I couldn't resist a roto test. [In reply to] Can't Post

I sure hope they make these swords glow like they're supposed to.

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

Hooded Justice

Jul 18 2011, 12:55am

Post #178 of 401 (24967 views)
Shortcut
Overdressed dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice how they've revealed the dwarves to us in twos and threes - exactly as Gandalf presented them to Beorn.

I would have to say that they don't match how I personally picture them (Tolkien wrote a children's story about fairytale characters- not about a hardcore Goth rock group).

Thorin looks exactly like a Klingon to me.

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jul 18 2011, 12:58am

Post #179 of 401 (24912 views)
Shortcut
*Mods Up!* // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
--Walter Sobchak

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jul 18 2011, 1:04am

Post #180 of 401 (24941 views)
Shortcut
Oh! In all my excitement... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I forgot to congratulate TORn for getting this awesome exclusive! You guys deserve it!

--J.R.R. Tolkien

--Walter Sobchak

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2011, 1:05am

Post #181 of 401 (24909 views)
Shortcut
Now this [In reply to] Can't Post

is the best description I've yet seen of Thorin. :D

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2011, 1:07am

Post #182 of 401 (24892 views)
Shortcut
*awards dernwyn double geek points* [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Phibbus
Rohan

Jul 18 2011, 1:16am

Post #183 of 401 (24909 views)
Shortcut
Klingon... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thorin looks exactly like a Klingon to me.

Hehe, people keep commenting the Klingon resemblance. I compared Thorin to Worf a few threads ago, here, with (with some other barbarous aliens, ensuing,) and Taekotemple replied...

Yay Worf!
So does that mean Thorin uses a Bat'leth, eats Gagh, and drinks prune juice? It is the warrior's drink after all!

Well, somebody has finally gone to the trouble to prove that, apparently, he does...

I'm not quite sure whom to credit with this dandy piece of work, since it was linked out of context on another site.

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

GwyraWhitfoot

Jul 18 2011, 1:29am

Post #184 of 401 (24853 views)
Shortcut
I agree.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Though we might think the actors do not look the part right now, I have a feeling that we will think differently after seeing their performances.

or at least lets hope so Tongue

LordElrond
Rivendell

Jul 18 2011, 1:39am

Post #185 of 401 (24823 views)
Shortcut
he looks amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't even mind that he looks alot younger than I thought he should be now. Who would have decided that theonering.net gets this first? Peter Jackson himself?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2011, 1:41am

Post #186 of 401 (24941 views)
Shortcut
That's an interesting point! [In reply to] Can't Post

Would the Cirth have been deemed more suitable for inscriptions, even though they might have been considered "uncouth" by those living in Gondolin?

But it does specify in the text that there were "runes" on the swords, so it may have been just a matter of the sword-wright's preferred mode of inscription.

(You can turn your "geek button" off? Amazing! Wink)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2011, 1:45am

Post #187 of 401 (24884 views)
Shortcut
Watch out... [In reply to] Can't Post

below! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

GwyraWhitfoot

Jul 18 2011, 1:48am

Post #188 of 401 (24892 views)
Shortcut
Oh yeah I had forgotten that [In reply to] Can't Post

In the films they will look much more like Dwarves because they will be shorter. Recently I've just been seeing Dwarf picture after Dwarf picture (hey not complaining Cool) so I've forgotton about their stature compared to other races...

Seeing the Dwarves next to Gandalf will certainly be shocking Shocked

Delrond
Rohan

Jul 18 2011, 2:17am

Post #189 of 401 (24854 views)
Shortcut
Nor disappointment. [In reply to] Can't Post

He has the look of a determined leader and should be an excellent movie Thorin. I like what I see, even though it's not the image projected by the book. No problem living with that.

Things are now in motion that cannot be undone.

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jul 18 2011, 2:23am

Post #190 of 401 (24873 views)
Shortcut
But...but...Thorin was a dwarf prince when Smaug attacked Erebor. [In reply to] Can't Post

He was 24....Now he's an old, bitter dwarf.

"As a young Dwarf prince, Thorin witnessed the destruction and terror wrought when a great fire-breathing Dragon attacked the Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor".

--J.R.R. Tolkien

--Walter Sobchak

Telerian

Jul 18 2011, 2:31am

Post #191 of 401 (24862 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lurker since 2002, and just had to post and say this looks great! Younger than I expected, but wonderful.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2011, 2:35am

Post #192 of 401 (24773 views)
Shortcut
^ This // [In reply to] Can't Post

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

Bergil'sEagle

Jul 18 2011, 2:37am

Post #193 of 401 (24885 views)
Shortcut
Not as bad as I was expecting... [In reply to] Can't Post

Aside from a slight pirate-ish-ness, he doesn't seem to look as young as I was expecting from the earlier images... not my favourite dwarf but not dissappointing like some others.

And Orcrist looks awesome as well!

Groppe
The Shire

Jul 18 2011, 2:41am

Post #194 of 401 (24848 views)
Shortcut
Klingon anyone? [In reply to] Can't Post

Reminiscent of a Klingon? Thorin of house Martok? Cool

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 18 2011, 2:50am

Post #195 of 401 (24841 views)
Shortcut
You know, I am not certain Dwarves have princes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps Scion would be a more appropriate term.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 18 2011, 2:58am

Post #196 of 401 (24835 views)
Shortcut
A bit more gray would not have hurt. [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks like he will have the right attitude and I know he is a capable actor. I am sure the script will be wonderful and the technical skills of the people involved in the production are world class. I just wish they could acknowledge the character's age with an appropriate appearance. Just a little more gray and perhaps a few of them there battle scars.

The no surprise was based on the Empire photo shoot.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

marillaraina
Rohan

Jul 18 2011, 3:20am

Post #197 of 401 (24750 views)
Shortcut
I knew it [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew Richard Armitage would be perfect as Thorin and capture everything Thorin is supposed to be. Never had a doubt and there he is, looking amazing and fierce.

I'm so excited about this.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 18 2011, 3:29am

Post #198 of 401 (24892 views)
Shortcut
Oh...my....Goodness... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's Thorin?

FANTASTIC!!! I can't believe how amazing ALL of these dwarves look! They're all so distinct and identifiable of what kind of personalities they have just from their appearance. Comedic, determined, unprepared, focused, so many personalities! But Thorin is absolutely stunning! They're all here... and I'm blown away.

I'm so thrilled for TORn to be the one to launch this last and most impressive member of the Company!! I can see him going nose-to-nose with Gandalf, challenging the Trolls, dealing with a Hobbit, defiant in front of Thranduil, and claiming his place as King Under the Mountain.

I can't wait for these film. These characters are so many light-years beyond what I hoped for... *tearing* What a treasure... how lucky are we to be here when it's all unfolding!

Thank you, Peter, for never giving up and sharing this unveiling with us! *bows deeply, dazed*

What a ride!!! What a ride...

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

duats
Grey Havens

Jul 18 2011, 3:36am

Post #199 of 401 (24789 views)
Shortcut
That's just an urban myth [In reply to] Can't Post

Good actors overcome obstacles. They manage to get their performance through. Heck. JRD was buried under a massive beard and prosthetics, and I was still able to tell what his face was doing, and what shapes his mouth was making. Say what you will about how Gimli was written in the films, but I for one could tell how Gimli was feeling in any particular scene. You could see the anguish in his face in Balin's tomb. And credit to JRD for that. Likewise, Armitage is a great talent. People keep commenting on the intensity of Armitage's eyes - how you can see the fierceness, the steely reserve, and the unyielding determination and fortitude. Those are just from his eyes. You could've thrown a Gimli-sized beard on him, and I have no doubt he would have gotten the job done.

But I'm not even asking for a beard of Gimli's volume. Just something that wouldn't take an average adult male a month to grow, and something that wasn't so darn uninspiring.

I've always felt that beards were a point of pride for the dwarves. In the book, I believe Bilbo says something along the lines of "May your beard never grow thin" (or something to that effect). Bilbo wishes them a lifetime of healthy, thick beards - presumably because healthy, thick beards were important to them. In Thorin's case specifically, Bilbo says to Thorin, "'If you mean you think it is my job to go into the secret passage first, O Thorin Thrain's son Oakenshield, may your beard grow even longer" (Suggesting it was long to begin with). Moreso than thick brows and pudgy noses, beards are one of THE defining attributes of this race (second only to their height). Aragorn even makes a joke of it in TTT, on why all dwarves, men and women, look alike ("It's the beards").

And we have, what? Five/six dwarves with short or no facial hair?

And as I mentioned in another post. Thorin is a dwarf KING. You would think that, out of everyone, he would have a beard fit for one. If I were unfamiliar with the text, and I was asked to point out the king in this group of dwarves, I would easily point to Oin, Gloin, or Balin. The beard doesn't necessarily have to be three feet long. But something for Thorin to take pride in, and to reflect his status amongst his fellow, lower-class companions. A rich, thick beard with beautifully braiding and/or adornments. Instead, we get a plain old beard that I'm about a week shy of having myself. Boring. Just utterly boring.

And I'm ever frustrated by the fact that, had the beard been longer, I actually would have found myself quite content with THIS interpretation of the character. Much like Theoden for me in the LoTR - everything else about this design is great, but the beard kills it. (In case anyone asks what I mean, I hated Theoden's blonde hair, and I hated the goatee).

And I won't even get started on Kili - because that well of complaints has been drained dry. I'm spent.

(This post was edited by duats on Jul 18 2011, 3:43am)

Phibbus
Rohan

Jul 18 2011, 3:46am

Post #200 of 401 (24805 views)
Shortcut
So... [In reply to] Can't Post

They'll have to forgo the "Don't water your beard, father" joke being directed at Thorin (unless his grows a considerable amount on the way to Rivendell,) but I guess they could still throw it at Balin.

While the look does go against the collective consensus of almost 75 years of Tolkien illustration, it doesn't quite rub me the wrong way in the same way it does DrDeath and others. As Tolkitalitarian as I am with story elements, I've got a pretty wide tolerance for visual interpretations, and I'm finding all of the dwarves at least interesting. Thorin is giving me something of the same vibe as Bowie the Goblin King in Labyrinth... as in "This is the different, special Dwarf" who paradoxically looks much more like a regular man. Not sure if they'd actually work that angle at all, though.

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.