Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TheOneRing.net Exclusive: Behold! Thorin Oakenshield and Orcrist!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 17 2011, 7:43pm

Post #126 of 401 (21624 views)
Shortcut
We're not starting this argument again, are we? [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't you just admit the other day that Tolkien never said Thorin was ancient?

In my view, he looks like a dwarf, not an elf, and he looks like he's been around the block a few times.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Radagast_the_Brown
Rivendell

Jul 17 2011, 7:45pm

Post #127 of 401 (21481 views)
Shortcut
Thorin looks fine [In reply to] Can't Post

suitably commanding and imposing, though I would have liked a fuller beard, but my lord... That sword!!! Just beautiful.

All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you...

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jul 17 2011, 7:45pm

Post #128 of 401 (21550 views)
Shortcut
Thorin looks OLDER than I thought they would make him, LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

I expected the streaks of grey, but they've made Armitage look at least 50 - perhaps more - and I didn't recognise him when I first saw the photo. It was the intensity of his expression that finally gave him away. This is a Good Thing! He has wanted to be recognised for his acting and not his good looks for a long time. I can't wait to see him in action either, Daisy!

dave_lf
Gondor

Jul 17 2011, 7:50pm

Post #129 of 401 (21684 views)
Shortcut
You guys missed your golden opportunity! [In reply to] Can't Post

The title of this thread should have been "I am Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror, King under the Mountain. I have returned". Cool

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 17 2011, 7:51pm

Post #130 of 401 (21548 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been surprised how many people say he looks young - I think he looks much older than I expected (and I'm older than he is, so this isn't the perspective of innocent youth! )

architecthis
Lorien

Jul 17 2011, 7:54pm

Post #131 of 401 (21496 views)
Shortcut
Proportions [In reply to] Can't Post

Dr.Death, your very articulate, and your posts are often entertaining to read, but I have to say I think your being overly cynical.

stylistic inconsistencies, proportional issues, templates....it just seems like your getting hung up on things, solid grounds or not.

I hope your enjoying these glimpses into the movie as much as the rest of us.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 17 2011, 7:55pm

Post #132 of 401 (21501 views)
Shortcut
Basically, I wanted to provoke you. [In reply to] Can't Post

You make such excellent posts that are interesting to read, precisely because you bother to give clear arguments and reasoning.

I still claim Gimli is de facto the only Dwarf in LotR. But more important than that is that I'm somewhat bothered by people guarding the movie!Gimli box like a Smaug guarding the Arkenstone. Especially when supporting movie!Gimli gets mixed with supporting Tolkien. I think I support Tolkien, and because of that I'm very much against the way the Dwarves and especially the Elves look in PJ's movies. I don't say the people who imagine the Dwarves to look like Gimli are wrong, I say I feel like I'm considered unTolkienian because I imagine them otherway. And that sometimes makes me very defensive.

There has been a lot of talk about "purists" here, and that "purists like the Gimli look". Well, I'm a fanatic Tolkien fan and support loyalty to the original texts, but that does NOT mean I'd automatically support the Gimli look.

And all of this is made even more frustrating by the fact that Tolkien never described his characters or races in detail, and indeed it is a big part of his style to let the reader use his or her own imagination. The very general notions about Dwarves being short and strong and bearded don't mean we could examine the shape of their skull or their noses, or what kind of ears or fingers they have. We can imagine them in our mind, but we can't say "I'm more right than you are, here let me hit you on the head wth my copy of the Silmarillion. You heretic."

And the notion about Aulë actually wasn't made tongue-in-cheek. I really do think that someone like him would make a race with every Father and their spouses looking very original and imaginative.

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 17 2011, 7:57pm

Post #133 of 401 (21765 views)
Shortcut
You do realize you're a newbie on a board with 6724 registered users? [In reply to] Can't Post

You don't get to dictate who talks about what. None of us do. But if you don't like a particular subthread, you have every right to ignore it.

On the other hand, if by any chance you're complaining because you think we're being homophobic, you're wrong. I am an admin here, and I am also an out lesbian. TORN does not tolerate any sort of prejudice.

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 17 2011, 8:09pm

Post #134 of 401 (21364 views)
Shortcut
I got into Tolkien via PJ too :) [In reply to] Can't Post

But only the first few times I read LotR I imagined everything looking like in the movies, and after that my mind started to wander off into a whole another direction, more inspired by actual Medieval sources and the nature of the British Islands.

That being said, I still wholly enjoy the movies, love love LOVE the designs and adore the crew behind them. Those people are my heroes. Heart

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

fifa15m

Jul 17 2011, 8:10pm

Post #135 of 401 (21496 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I do realize that. (Thanks for the welcome Altaira!) [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe that you’re reading too deeply into my comment. I do not mean to engage in any discussion concerning that issue. I just believe that humor used in a public forum should be tasteful. just my opinion!

Anyway, glad to be part of the 6724 users here to discuss, anticipate, and enjoy the Hobbit. :)

Spencissimus
Lorien

Jul 17 2011, 8:13pm

Post #136 of 401 (21412 views)
Shortcut
It's cool [In reply to] Can't Post

My quip was meant to be neither tasteful nor tasteless...just an opinion, though I do think that RA is a handsome man!

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 17 2011, 8:21pm

Post #137 of 401 (21349 views)
Shortcut
Jewelry [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, and in the chance the people responsible for the merchandise are reading. I love that square ring with the dwarven runes. That looks great!!!

Annael
Immortal

Jul 17 2011, 8:22pm

Post #138 of 401 (21426 views)
Shortcut
nope [In reply to] Can't Post

TORn tradition encourages such fervent expressions of admiration for beauty, whatever form it takes.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 17 2011, 8:25pm

Post #139 of 401 (21409 views)
Shortcut
+1! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, wait, this isn't Google+. Blush

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jul 17 2011, 8:26pm

Post #140 of 401 (21336 views)
Shortcut
I've never imagined Thorin any older than that picture... [In reply to] Can't Post

If he was much older it would not look good if he was fighting like a crazy madman...
I have problems imagining Balin fighting:P

kiwifan
Rohan

Jul 17 2011, 8:36pm

Post #141 of 401 (21373 views)
Shortcut
TORn is honoured, yes, but why 'humbled'? [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree it's absolutely great, marvellous, exhilarating, etc. that the most important Dwarf was revealed to us first but, and I quote:

Today, TheOneRing.net is both honored and humbled to be given the worldwide exclusive reveal of Thorin Oakenshield! (and Orcrist, the Goblin-cleaver!)
-----

you got me so confused that I had to look up the verb 'to humble' in my Oxford Thesaurus of English in order to make sure I hadn't lost my marbles yet. I'm not going to humble the author of this post by copying out all the 38 definitions/synonyms the Thesaurus offers but would humbly beg to differ with your use of this word --- unless its meaning has officially morphed into its complete opposite in the past seven years Wink.

And before anyone starts accusing me of being an obnoxious know-it-all (again), please remember there are quite a number of TORn members whose native tongue isn't English, who won't question what they read here, and who'll end up learning all kinds of weird stuff they might even (heaven forbid) use in term papers, exams, and so on, in all innocence.

Sorry, but I really needed to say that!

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 17 2011, 8:36pm

Post #142 of 401 (21381 views)
Shortcut
*mods up!* [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I am not sure one becomes gay or lesbian other than at birth.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 17 2011, 8:53pm

Post #143 of 401 (21263 views)
Shortcut
No supprises [In reply to] Can't Post

They pretty much telegraphed their punch. I did notice a few gray hair. Hay maybe he has a wide white stripe down the back.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Vangalad
Lorien

Jul 17 2011, 8:55pm

Post #144 of 401 (21256 views)
Shortcut
Congrats to TORN and what a lordly reveal! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin has such a strong yet gripping appearance that just brings the conclusion these movies are gonna rock!

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Symbelmine
Rohan

Jul 17 2011, 8:55pm

Post #145 of 401 (21340 views)
Shortcut
Richard Armitage [In reply to] Can't Post

is my fav actor. I can't wait to see him as Thorin.
Those photos are truly awesome.
Congrats TORN.

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 17 2011, 8:59pm

Post #146 of 401 (21262 views)
Shortcut
Lol, kiwifan! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you got that off your chest! LaughSmile

As far as the word humbled goes, I looked up a few definitions myself and think the context it was used in here coincides best with the following definitions:

"Of modest pretensions or dimensions."

"Marked by modesty in behavior, attitude, or spirit; not arrogant or prideful"

"
Showing deferential respect"

You must admit, we're in some impressive company compared to the other websites that were part of the reveal: TIME, MSN, IGN and Yahoo! Movies to name a few. Needless to say, we have a lot of respect for those sites and are overjoyed that a fan site got the final, big reveal, and that we are so prominent on the radar of Warner Bros, PJ and crew. it wouldn't do for us to stick our tongues out and say: "neener, neeener, we're better than you!" So, yes we are a bit modest in the company of these giants that we so admire, and are happy to show them the respect they are due by using the word, "humbled." I think it's a perfect fit. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Rufus
Bree

Jul 17 2011, 9:00pm

Post #147 of 401 (21242 views)
Shortcut
I agree he does look older [In reply to] Can't Post

Like others if I did know this was Armitage then I wouldn't have recognised him. I like the look and he certainly looks far older than his almost 40 year old real self The costume looks good I just wish we could see more of it. The sword is indeed beautiful can't wait to see him use it.

BTW it is interesting that this weekend three images have been posted of Armitage this weekend and he looks completely different in them all.

http://www.richardarmitagenet.com/...ml#ProjectMag-07.jpg

http://www.richardarmitagenet.com/...html#Interview02.jpg

Thanks to RA net for the pictures

(This post was edited by Rufus on Jul 17 2011, 9:05pm)

bookgirl13
Lorien

Jul 17 2011, 9:04pm

Post #148 of 401 (21235 views)
Shortcut
Honoured and humbled [In reply to] Can't Post

Its usage here is not the first time I've heard that phrase, which is quite an old one. The greeting "Your humble servant" conveys the same feeling of courtesy. In fact "honoured and humbled" is often used in formal situations, to acknowledge an honour that has been granted. I think it was a very appropriate usage in this situation by TORn, even if it is considered unusual as it is fairly archaic and possibly not used outside the UK. Definitions for individual words in a dictionary often do not convey the intended meaning of a total phrase.

Muireadhaigh
Rivendell

Jul 17 2011, 9:04pm

Post #149 of 401 (21461 views)
Shortcut
Too much maitenance [In reply to] Can't Post

Keeping a beard that short, and trimmed around the jaw? Every Fall, I start out with a goatee, and by Springtime, I have a full blown ZZ Top going.

mulubinba
Rivendell

Jul 17 2011, 9:10pm

Post #150 of 401 (21223 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he looks wonderful, and I know he has the skills and gravitas combined with a love of Tolkien to really do justice to this role.

Looking forward to seeing him onscreen.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.