Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TheOneRing.net Exclusive: Behold! Thorin Oakenshield and Orcrist!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 17 2011, 5:58pm

Post #76 of 401 (22660 views)
Shortcut
And Kili is the Dwarf that... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I would happily go straight for. Tongue Yeah, I know he doesn't look particularly Dwarvish, but does anyone really want to see a face as handsome as Aidan Turner's hidden by ten pounds of prosthetics?

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Muireadhaigh
Rivendell

Jul 17 2011, 5:59pm

Post #77 of 401 (22280 views)
Shortcut
Prosthetics [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
with only the possible addition of a prosthetic nose alongside the beard to disguise his distinctive features.

He also has prosthetics on his forehead/eyebrows, that are very much in line with the amount of prosthetics worn by the rest of the company. Only the jumbo sized Bombur and the bizarre Nori are obviously wearing more, with Gloin wearing slightly more to make him resemble Gimli. IMHO, all of the dwarves are perfectly acceptable with (again) the exceptions of Fili and Kili, who more closely resemble a man, and an elf.

(This post was edited by Muireadhaigh on Jul 17 2011, 5:59pm)

Bound
Rohan

Jul 17 2011, 5:59pm

Post #78 of 401 (22189 views)
Shortcut
Conrats to ToRN and... AWESOME... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the picture, it works for me. Thorin looks great, but I had no real doubts...

Congrats to Torn for getting the exclusive and thanks to PJ and co for giving it to us !!

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Jul 17 2011, 6:00pm

Post #79 of 401 (22236 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Congratulations... [In reply to] Can't Post

Long time lurker finally getting off her rump to post. First of all, many congratulations to TORn on the most mighty of dwarves reveals. TORn deserves it.

As my favorite characters in Mr. Tolkien's universe have always been Thorin, Beorn and Radagast, I'm very happy to see Thorin so well represented by Mr. Armitage and the wonderful costume and make up folk. WETA take a bow. I want that armor and Orcrist. X-x. This is the first Middle Earth costume/weapon that I'd really love to own.

Personally, I think Thorin looks like a younger Ian McShane and somewhat Klingon-like. I mean this in the most positive, warrior based sense. This is a dwarf who will reclaim his throne and kingdom no matter what. Very fierce, very blunt, very arrogant.

Richard is Perfect.

Hot in a very charismatic, character driven way, but I do not see Richard's Thorin in the same kind of hot vein as Kili and Legolas/Aragon.

I'd follow Thorin Oakenshield to the Lonely Mountain and die for him. Hell, I'd do that if they aged the character more. It's all in Richard's commanding gaze. I believe he'll own this part.

May the purists forgive me, but I do hope PJ and Fran have embellished some of Thorin's speeches so he gets as much screen time as possible.

If I were Bilbo, I'd be really nervous around Richard's Thorin. :)

I think all of the dwarves are wonderful in their design and look. Very unique.

My favorites (in order) are:

Thorin > a dwarf king if ever there was. I cannot wait to see Richard go full Thorin on the enemy and pass a bit of cranky onto Bilbo. It will be very hard to watch him die because I can already sense how much Richard has invested into the role.

Bifur > his hair and beard colors and the head wound remind me of my favorite 'real' mountain man: Grizzly Adams.The fur trappers are a big fascination for me. Since Dwarves are mountain men (literally ;)), it's no surprise they are my favorite race in Middle Earth. I hope the head injury has not dampened Bifur's intellect but perhaps heightened his aggression just a bit. I love what the TORn staff have said about him. I quite like Bifur, and I hope Mr. Kircher gets a lot of screen time. :).

Nori > He definitely looks out there. Could be very, very dangerous and not one to trust (if one goes by the official information of his illegal activities). Or he could just look intimating and be an absolute boob. He already stands out. I'm looking forward to Jed running with that ball and making quite an an impact. And, no, not with that staff/club thing…ouch. Nori wins most unique and crazy dwarf design. And I can't resist a dwarf whose named after a type of seaweed. Correct me if I'm wrong, please…but I immediately think of seaweed and the sea (perhaps that's the truth behind the star-shaped coffee?).

Balin > looks exactly like the kindly, ancient yet regal dwarf I pictured him as. I can instantly see why Bilbo would be comfortable around him. And I look forward to any confrontations he might have with the younger Thorin.

Bofur > Mirthful, yet something very menacing about the guy. I like the Steppes comparison and boy I don't envy anyone getting conked by that hammer. I think I'll give him my beer.

Gloin > that's Gimli's pa alright. Fabulous. Can't wait to hear his cranky dialog. I guess mom will be calling him Yosemite Sam too. She 'ruined' Gimli for me… oh well.

Dwalin > I will stay out of the way of this dwarf. Perhaps he purposely shaves his head to show off those tattoos and to look as menacing as he does?

Oin > yep, Gimli's uncle. Very imposing. I look forward to him arguing with Gloin.

Ori > the monk-like dwarf? Sure, why not. I like his shy, scholarly vibe. I can see why his two older brothers are so protective of him. Perhaps, he has some healing abilities or knowledge?

Dori > Love his disapproving glance at Nori. Am curious to see how this trio of brothers interact with each other as well as the company.

Kili > I have no problems with the young buck as a nice looking dwarf. I hope he gets mocked left, right and sideways by the elder dwarves, but I also look forward to him trying to stand his ground and protect Thorin. Hope there isn't the Merry and Pippin aspect attached to Kili and Fili (somehow I see that more with Bombur, Bofur and Bifur). I can see Kili and Fili as very inexperienced, yet gung ho. Hey, they want to impress their elders and earn their place. He could have a very interesting character arc.

Fili > Forgive me, but I get such a Sean Penn Fast Times at Ridgemont High vibe from this young dwarf. "Dudddddeee…watch me slay a couple of goblins, man." I do love his swords. As some have said, he looks like he's a potential trouble-maker. He could really impress me.

Bombur > I do get such a sense of Tweedle-Dee from this character. Bombur was fun in the book, so I hope he'll be as fun on screen. Of all the make ups, his seems the least dwarf-like along with Kili. He seems more like a jolly hobbit to me.

Very, very well done.

Bring on Beorn and Radagast.

Congratulations again for the marvelous reveal. :)

In Reply To

Patty
Immortal

Jul 17 2011, 6:01pm

Post #80 of 401 (22189 views)
Shortcut
Orcrist--another fine work of art! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Permanent address: Into the West

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 17 2011, 6:07pm

Post #81 of 401 (22194 views)
Shortcut
That's an interesting question, because... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it could explain the axe in Bifur's skull, too. You wouldn't expect him to be walking around with it still in his head years after the injury; and he is, after all, a miner. So maybe he gets that head wound in the Battle of Five Armies, eh?

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 17 2011, 6:07pm

Post #82 of 401 (22296 views)
Shortcut
One more reason I wish they had made TH before LotR [In reply to] Can't Post

Because we only had one major Dwarf in LotR, now everybody thinks

dwarf = Gimli = dwarf

Like a whole race made by the Vala of creativity and handicraft must all look like clones with identical genes. Tongue

But once again, I'm biased here because I actually dislike the Gimli look.

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 17 2011, 6:08pm

Post #83 of 401 (22210 views)
Shortcut
And the runes on the guard spell "ORKHRIST". [In reply to] Can't Post

With the "KH" being one character.

It's delightful, what one discovers in high res photos! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Jul 17 2011, 6:12pm

Post #84 of 401 (22143 views)
Shortcut
Freaking cool [In reply to] Can't Post

now that's Thorin Cool, and while he might not look very old he definitely is fierce and noble and the comparisons to Bernard Hill's Theoden are spot on I think.

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Jul 17 2011, 6:12pm

Post #85 of 401 (22135 views)
Shortcut
Nonsense on Galadriel [In reply to] Can't Post

Cate Blanchett has an extraordinary classic beauty that is missing amongst most leading ladies of Hollywood these days. I never heard anyone say that she was not "pretty" enough (though pretty is the wrong word - Galadriel should be beautiful and dignified, not 'pretty.')

Were there people here concerned about her looks?

Muireadhaigh
Rivendell

Jul 17 2011, 6:13pm

Post #86 of 401 (22095 views)
Shortcut
I dont see it either [In reply to] Can't Post

Jack Sparrow? I guess if you want to see Jack Sparrow, you could convice yourself to, but only if you are looking for it. The same for Khal Drogo, Klingons, and the rest. Does Jack Sparrow look like Khal Drogo? They both have long hair and a beard, other than that, no, they don't look alike.

If someone showed me this photo and I didn't already know it was Armitage, I wouldn't have guessed it was him.

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Jul 17 2011, 6:13pm

Post #87 of 401 (22504 views)
Shortcut
No prosthetics needed... [In reply to] Can't Post

...just a bit more beard. Since when did a beard automatically impinge on "hotness?"

ilovekili

Jul 17 2011, 6:14pm

Post #88 of 401 (22133 views)
Shortcut
his voice...... [In reply to] Can't Post

Richard Armitage is going to be awesome!!!! His voice alone qualifies him for the part.
For those of you not familiar with his voice, check it out.

‪North and South - Proposal Scene‬‏ - YouTube

You will not be disappointed <3

Phibbus
Rohan

Jul 17 2011, 6:15pm

Post #89 of 401 (22111 views)
Shortcut
Orcrist [In reply to] Can't Post

Hehe.. well it says "Orcrist" pretty clearly in Cirth on the crossguard of the hilt... I always wondered why Gandalf couldn't read that for himself Tongue

Hard to see the runes on the blade, but I imagine they've worked up a whole inscription like they did for Glamdring, since that is Orcrist's mate. I forget what Glamdring looks like in LotR: Does this sword resemble it as well as Sting?

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jul 17 2011, 6:16pm

Post #90 of 401 (22064 views)
Shortcut
Mr. Eruvande thinks he looks like a Klingon. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure

Yeah, he's NARF. It's gonna be a long year and a half at the Eruvande house. Tongue

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

DrDeath153
Lorien

Jul 17 2011, 6:16pm

Post #91 of 401 (22192 views)
Shortcut
Gimli was not the only dwarf in LotR [In reply to] Can't Post

He was the only prominent one, but he is not the be-all and end-all of dwarvishness. What is the cinematic be-all and end-all of dwarvishness are the proportions and 'template' laid out by those dwarves. Think of it as a dwarven 'vitruvian man'- the mathematically worked out proportions that humans subscribe to. Humans, however distinctive they are from one another subscribe to the same proportional template- we don't grow to have the proportions of wading birds for instance with long thin legs, a rounded body and then usually a long neck. We don't even share the same proportions with our nearest evolutionary cousins- chimpanzees and other great apes. Tolkien doesn't really have evolution in his world but it is safe to assume that dwarves, not only being a separate 'race' but also having a wholly different maker to elves and men, have a significantly different and unique set of proportions. It works in the books, it worked in the films. At the very least (even if i liked the new dwarves) it would still be a stylistic inconsistency, just like if you suddenly decided that elves had to have inhumanly long necks and spindly arms. I'd resist that just as much as i've resisted the decision to make dwarves more human than the existing examples.

So yes, light hearted though your post is, don't take the mick out of people who disagree with you, particularly when they have solid grounds for doing so.

Dr Death

Alientraveller
Lorien

Jul 17 2011, 6:17pm

Post #92 of 401 (22052 views)
Shortcut
Not just Gimli [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Because we only had one major Dwarf in LotR, now everybody thinks dwarf = Gimli = dwarf

It wasn't just Gimli, Weta made all the Dwarves look like squashed humanoid creatures in LOTR. As someone who came into Tolkien via PJ, it's going to be difficult ignoring my image of all the Dwarves as talking beards. That's why Oin and Gloin are my favourites at the moment.

But on topic, Thorin looks really cool. I just know Armitage is going to deliver. I love his armour and Orcrist is incredibly beautiful, it may become my favourite Middle-earth sword.

Elfhelm
The Shire

Jul 17 2011, 6:17pm

Post #93 of 401 (22191 views)
Shortcut
Precisely in the high-res pic (zoomed to full inside the browser window) those doesn't look like reflections... so I'm still not quite convinced. =) n/t [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Did anyone notice he seems to have diamonds or something embedded onto his lower front teeth?

Initially I thought that he has something on his teeth too, but they are too white and they reflect the lights from the studio where the photo was taken Laugh

Just click and see the bigger version of the picture and you will see what I mean :)

sushiking
The Shire

Jul 17 2011, 6:20pm

Post #94 of 401 (22171 views)
Shortcut
GUYS, Guys, Guys, guys... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think i need to change my pants for this one xP

namarie
Rohan

Jul 17 2011, 6:21pm

Post #95 of 401 (22067 views)
Shortcut
You made me double-check again [In reply to] Can't Post

but all I see is light reflection :)

There is always hope

DrDeath153
Lorien

Jul 17 2011, 6:22pm

Post #96 of 401 (22111 views)
Shortcut
It's not meant to disparage him particularly [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just passing comment. I think it's the emphasis on the eyes- kind of reminds me of the poster from the first Pirates film. Anyway, the Khal Drogo comment (which i think i was the first to make actually- go me Tongue) was based on the blurry Empire pics which everyone kept reassuring the cynics were not something worth judging the look on. Now we have the proper high def pics, i'm reassessing the likeness.

Dr Death

willowing
Lorien

Jul 17 2011, 6:24pm

Post #97 of 401 (22026 views)
Shortcut
Thorin Oakenshield... [In reply to] Can't Post

Congratulations for the honour of revealing this great leader. You can see the passion and fire in his eyes and I lwould not like to cross swords with him. If you put Thorin in the middle of the pack you will have your own interpretation of the Last Supper.

Laugh

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Jul 17 2011, 6:25pm

Post #98 of 401 (22080 views)
Shortcut
Are those dwarven runes... [In reply to] Can't Post

...on Orcrist?

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 17 2011, 6:27pm

Post #99 of 401 (22352 views)
Shortcut
It's the *length* of the beard that impinges on hotness ;-P [In reply to] Can't Post

See? This really is the preferred length. Any longer, and it just looks...untidy. Wink

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 17 2011, 6:30pm

Post #100 of 401 (22024 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to the discussion boards ByThorinsBeard [In reply to] Can't Post

Great nick name and wonderful thoughts for a first post. I hope to see you around more as the excitement continues. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.