Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What's 'Hot' is Being Cool
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jul 17 2011, 10:45am

Post #1 of 92 (2631 views)
Shortcut
What's 'Hot' is Being Cool Can't Post

(The following opinion piece is the final in the "Hot Dwarves" series, following last week's Hot Dwarves: Peter Jackson strikes back with Bombur!)

At last we have our peek at Thorin. Now THAT'S hot -- meaning cool. Super cool.

Forget how the man behind the dwarf looks, it's what the picture promises that has our hearts swelling. This is a Thorin who oozes single-mindedness, determination, ruthlessness and a dash of pomposity.

Didn't think I would appreciate that, did you?

Richard Armitage is going to be an amazing Thorin because of the intensity he brings to all of his roles. His all-around greatness in 'Spooks,' kick-ass action in 'Strike Back' or as the complex lover in 'North and South' -- he has got it going on. Forget checking him out, check those out.

Thorin is hot & cool because his character is a leader the others will follow into battle, who is single-minded in pursuit of what he thinks is right & who, in the end, comes to a tragic end with dignity. Yes, he's being played by an actor who is talented, modest and, sorry, smoking.

It's not shallow - it's fact. But it's not the most important fact by a looong shot.

What started out as a satirical look at the struggle between box-office economics, author intent, fan expectation & creative genius, the "Hot Dwarves" series became something of a joke we couldn't resist. Just saying "Hot Dwarves" has to make you laugh, no?

The result was interesting and I have to say I loved it. I'm not a fangirl, I just played one briefly on TheOneRing.net. I love the discussion that sprung up, the agreements and the arguments. The people who just thought the whole thing absolutely hilarious. The people who thought I had betrayed womanhood, was guilty of being shallow and insecure, and/or sexist.

Oh and one fan site that scoffed I didn't know how to spell the plural of dwarf. No, it really is dwarves. C.f. 'The Letters of J.R.R.Tolkien,' Letter 138.

Best of all, The people who were horrified at the prospect of -- gasp -- having good looking men in the movie, or caring if they were good-looking, or for even wondering what Tolkien did or didn't say about dwarvish attractivness or lack thereof.

Some people enjoy Adam Sandler movies. I love good Tolkien arguments.

Oh, you don't? Ack. Well, OK. I'll move on -- you might like the rest of this.

And it's not all about Thorin, is it? This is a *company* of dwarves. And a hobbit. A Very Important Hobbit. A hobbit that is no slouch in the cuteness department, might I add.

Plus a wizard, some elves, a dragon, a town-full of men, an archer, a bear-man, eagles, MORE dwarves, a horde of goblins, wolves, and, oh, a partridge in a pear tree named Tauriel who we have no idea what she'll be doing.

Each and every one of them has a flash of panache (I've been dying to use that phrase) that goes beyond their physical looks.

Balin comes across with the wisdom benefiting his age and experience. Bifur & Bofur -- their unique headgear aside -- are powerful. Kili & Fili, well yes, we do have the "hotness" that was feared/longed-for, but as the younger dwarves in the company let's assume that they grow into their "dwarfishness" as they age.

Oin & Gloin are warriors that the Goblins will rightly fear. Fearce, daunting, what we have come to expect as dwarves from the 'Lord of the Rings.' Dori, Ori & Nori -- they all have a distinctive look that pleases.

In fact, it's the makeup, design, costuming and etc. departments that are hot. Yes, you guys know who you are. Let's get your pictures up here, OK? Shout-out to the whole production team. If I fangirl anyone, it's Richard Taylor.

They've taken each actor-dwarf and given them a distinct visual identity that will prove very helpful when audiences -- even knowledgeable audiences -- have to divide attention between so many similar characters.

So, yeah. 'Hotness' has many faces. And voices. And styles. And all of those little things you fall in love with that you are never able to put your finger on. They just are.

You know what I mean:

-- The twinkle in Ian McKellan's eye
-- The way Martin Freeman cocks his head and looks quizzical.
-- James Nesbitt's dimples.
-- When Benedict Cumberbatch's voice goes reaaaaaaaaallllllll loooooowwwwwwwwww.
-- Kate's sweaty t-shirt -- oh wait, wrong show

Oh, and.... Thorin.

*grin*

Bring on 'The Hobbit' !

=============================================

This is an opinion piece and does not represent views and opinions of TheOneRing.net as a whole.

Maegwen is a long-time senior staffer who loves Tolkien in all forms -- films, books, gripes & gushing. She loves to debate everything and can't resist a good joke.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jul 17 2011, 7:06pm)

DrDeath153
Lorien

Jul 17 2011, 5:21pm

Post #2 of 92 (873 views)
Shortcut
Must be nice to have a soap box [In reply to] Can't Post

Where you can define public opinionAngelic

Dr Death

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 17 2011, 5:27pm

Post #3 of 92 (823 views)
Shortcut
I think you've got it backwards [In reply to] Can't Post

If people aren't interested in what you're saying, the soapbox is just a box. This website would have folded a decade ago if it hadn't provided a place that people wanted to get news, pictures, opinions - and share theirs as well, which you have taken full advantage of, so what is the complaint here exactly?

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

DrDeath153
Lorien

Jul 17 2011, 5:34pm

Post #4 of 92 (824 views)
Shortcut
Just a smidge of caustic humour [In reply to] Can't Post

I just found the kind of upbeat 'official' reaction a little bit.... rosy, so i took a shot at it- it wasn't intended as nasty (before the wildfire gets out of control) just ironic.

Dr Death

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 17 2011, 5:44pm

Post #5 of 92 (736 views)
Shortcut
In many ways [In reply to] Can't Post

what is a forum if not a soapbox?

The first line does say its an opinion piece and torn does appreciate differing opinions - as long as everyone plays nice of course

" So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane? "

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 17 2011, 5:52pm

Post #6 of 92 (683 views)
Shortcut
Hear, hear!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

DrDeath153
Lorien

Jul 17 2011, 5:58pm

Post #7 of 92 (731 views)
Shortcut
Would TORn welcome an opinion piece from me? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just curious- i quite like the idea of writing an article Smile

Dr Death

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 17 2011, 6:08pm

Post #8 of 92 (731 views)
Shortcut
To be honest [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't say yes or no. It would be up to the PTB as to what goes on the front page, but Im sure they judge any submissions on their merits.

" So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane? "

namarie
Rohan

Jul 17 2011, 6:15pm

Post #9 of 92 (685 views)
Shortcut
Kate's sweaty t-shirt -- oh wait, wrong show [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

There is always hope

Ececheira
Bree

Jul 17 2011, 6:17pm

Post #10 of 92 (678 views)
Shortcut
Well said [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

maegwen
Sr. Staff

Jul 17 2011, 6:47pm

Post #11 of 92 (645 views)
Shortcut
I welcome the comments [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that's what makes TORn fun.

I don't have a soapbox, per se. I've been with TORn staff for a long time, though writing less in the last few years. This series stems out of an ongoing joke and it's been great to see people's reactions to the whole "Hot Dwarf" hilarity.

Being the culmination of that and stating -- which I truly have always believed -- that how cute the dwarves are doesn't matter, as long as they look good. Which will always be a subjective opinion. In this case, mine :)

And thank you, as always, Annael!

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 17 2011, 6:50pm

Post #12 of 92 (660 views)
Shortcut
You don't seriously think that, do you? [In reply to] Can't Post

That we "define public opinion"? In case you haven't noticed, opinions on the look of the more controversial Dwarves is far from unanimous, even among the TORN staffers.

Besides, no one's deleted any of your complaints in the NfB Thorin thread, have they? Everyone's opinion is welcome here, as long as they stay civil.

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

maegwen
Sr. Staff

Jul 17 2011, 6:55pm

Post #13 of 92 (682 views)
Shortcut
No worries from me [In reply to] Can't Post

If that matters :)

I probably could have added that he also looks like he'll be a pretty good grumpus, but I *was* feeling rather "rosy" this morning.

Oh, and by the way, my opinion is by NO MEANS the "official" reaction :)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 17 2011, 7:12pm

Post #14 of 92 (655 views)
Shortcut
Three cheers for meagwen! [In reply to] Can't Post

Official or not, this series (and your pieces in general) garner more views and comments than almost any other posts (both here and on the Home Page). You always do such a good job of provoking discussion - about both the pros and the cons, without seeming to come off as a know-it-all. In other words, your articles are very readable, and approachable, by all Tolkien fans, which is truly a gift.

I'm bummed that this is the last in this series (maybe we can twist your arm for a reprise when we get some film footage under our belts) but, in any case I look forward to your future contributions to TORn! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 17 2011, 7:21pm

Post #15 of 92 (643 views)
Shortcut
May I just cheer 'the partidge in a pear tree' bit... [In reply to] Can't Post

... which really made me laugh! Tongue

As for the rest, thanks for the 'hot dwarves', they were fun!

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 17 2011, 7:21pm

Post #16 of 92 (625 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* [In reply to] Can't Post

Nicely said, Altaira.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, here's my comment on the issue of dwarf hotness.

maegwen
Sr. Staff

Jul 17 2011, 7:33pm

Post #17 of 92 (591 views)
Shortcut
Oh don't worry [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you! I'm not putting away my pen.

For as long as these films are being made, I will find things to write about.

And yeah, wait til we see some "Dwarf Action."

*plots*

(This post was edited by maegwen on Jul 17 2011, 7:34pm)

maegwen
Sr. Staff

Jul 17 2011, 7:34pm

Post #18 of 92 (596 views)
Shortcut
I'm so glad you feel that way [In reply to] Can't Post

I came to find Dinklage very ... I can't think of the right word. Mesmerizing?

Interesting.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 17 2011, 7:56pm

Post #19 of 92 (575 views)
Shortcut
Ha, definitely agree [In reply to] Can't Post

...about Dinklage. They couldn't have cast the part of Tyrion better, IMHO. It can't be easy to come across as sensitive and simultaneously caustically witty, but he pulls it off beautifully.

I've bee re-reading Storm of Swords to catch up with characters I haven't visited in years (in preparation to read Dance with Dragons), and Dinklage has completely replaced my previous vision of Tyrion - rather pleasantly, I might add. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

ilovekili

Jul 17 2011, 8:06pm

Post #20 of 92 (594 views)
Shortcut
Hot Damn Hot Dwarves! [In reply to] Can't Post

(I'll be a Tolkien purist on the spelling ;)
Yes, just saying hot dwarves makes me laugh! Thanks for a fun discussion.
I will unabashedly revel in all the hotness in it's many splendored forms - Thorin, Fili, Kili, Bilbo, Peter, Smaug, Orcrist.......
It's going to be glorious!

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jul 17 2011, 8:07pm

Post #21 of 92 (558 views)
Shortcut
I loved Tyrion [In reply to] Can't Post

both in the books and in the TV series. Dinklage was wonderful. But since Tyrion is described as being a poor fighter and has trouble riding and even walking because of his short legs, I really can't see him as one of Tolkien's dwarves. Tyrion certainly isn't a hardened warrior or a strong, athletic man. It's his quick tongue that gives him so much charm.

maegwen
Sr. Staff

Jul 17 2011, 8:16pm

Post #22 of 92 (550 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

I had contemplated re-reading everything but it's just not possible. So I read a really comprehensive guide and now I'm re-reading the last one myself.

Dinklage really became Tyrion for me and usually I don't like actors supplanting the characters I have in my head. This one doesn't bother me. it was superb.

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 17 2011, 8:48pm

Post #23 of 92 (564 views)
Shortcut
It amazes me that someone would call you out on spelling dwarves as dwarves. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the way I've always seen it spelled anyway. People will find just about anything to complain about, won't they?Wink

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 17 2011, 9:11pm

Post #24 of 92 (520 views)
Shortcut
It's how Tolkien spelled it [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a story, perhaps apocryphal, that the editor of "The Hobbit" corrected the spelling to "dwarfs" and cited the Oxford English Dictionary as his reference, and Tolkien replied that (being the author of that particular section of the OED) he had changed his mind!

maegwen
Sr. Staff

Jul 17 2011, 9:36pm

Post #25 of 92 (530 views)
Shortcut
That was the nicest thing they said [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a Richard Armitage fan blog and if I were more sensitive I would have been in tears before I was half-way through it :)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.