Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What's 'Hot' is Being Cool

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jul 17 2011, 10:45am

Views: 2444
Shortcut
What's 'Hot' is Being Cool Can't Post

(The following opinion piece is the final in the "Hot Dwarves" series, following last week's Hot Dwarves: Peter Jackson strikes back with Bombur!)

At last we have our peek at Thorin. Now THAT'S hot -- meaning cool. Super cool.

Forget how the man behind the dwarf looks, it's what the picture promises that has our hearts swelling. This is a Thorin who oozes single-mindedness, determination, ruthlessness and a dash of pomposity.

Didn't think I would appreciate that, did you?

Richard Armitage is going to be an amazing Thorin because of the intensity he brings to all of his roles. His all-around greatness in 'Spooks,' kick-ass action in 'Strike Back' or as the complex lover in 'North and South' -- he has got it going on. Forget checking him out, check those out.

Thorin is hot & cool because his character is a leader the others will follow into battle, who is single-minded in pursuit of what he thinks is right & who, in the end, comes to a tragic end with dignity. Yes, he's being played by an actor who is talented, modest and, sorry, smoking.

It's not shallow - it's fact. But it's not the most important fact by a looong shot.

What started out as a satirical look at the struggle between box-office economics, author intent, fan expectation & creative genius, the "Hot Dwarves" series became something of a joke we couldn't resist. Just saying "Hot Dwarves" has to make you laugh, no?

The result was interesting and I have to say I loved it. I'm not a fangirl, I just played one briefly on TheOneRing.net. I love the discussion that sprung up, the agreements and the arguments. The people who just thought the whole thing absolutely hilarious. The people who thought I had betrayed womanhood, was guilty of being shallow and insecure, and/or sexist.

Oh and one fan site that scoffed I didn't know how to spell the plural of dwarf. No, it really is dwarves. C.f. 'The Letters of J.R.R.Tolkien,' Letter 138.

Best of all, The people who were horrified at the prospect of -- gasp -- having good looking men in the movie, or caring if they were good-looking, or for even wondering what Tolkien did or didn't say about dwarvish attractivness or lack thereof.

Some people enjoy Adam Sandler movies. I love good Tolkien arguments.

Oh, you don't? Ack. Well, OK. I'll move on -- you might like the rest of this.

And it's not all about Thorin, is it? This is a *company* of dwarves. And a hobbit. A Very Important Hobbit. A hobbit that is no slouch in the cuteness department, might I add.

Plus a wizard, some elves, a dragon, a town-full of men, an archer, a bear-man, eagles, MORE dwarves, a horde of goblins, wolves, and, oh, a partridge in a pear tree named Tauriel who we have no idea what she'll be doing.

Each and every one of them has a flash of panache (I've been dying to use that phrase) that goes beyond their physical looks.

Balin comes across with the wisdom benefiting his age and experience. Bifur & Bofur -- their unique headgear aside -- are powerful. Kili & Fili, well yes, we do have the "hotness" that was feared/longed-for, but as the younger dwarves in the company let's assume that they grow into their "dwarfishness" as they age.

Oin & Gloin are warriors that the Goblins will rightly fear. Fearce, daunting, what we have come to expect as dwarves from the 'Lord of the Rings.' Dori, Ori & Nori -- they all have a distinctive look that pleases.

In fact, it's the makeup, design, costuming and etc. departments that are hot. Yes, you guys know who you are. Let's get your pictures up here, OK? Shout-out to the whole production team. If I fangirl anyone, it's Richard Taylor.

They've taken each actor-dwarf and given them a distinct visual identity that will prove very helpful when audiences -- even knowledgeable audiences -- have to divide attention between so many similar characters.

So, yeah. 'Hotness' has many faces. And voices. And styles. And all of those little things you fall in love with that you are never able to put your finger on. They just are.

You know what I mean:

-- The twinkle in Ian McKellan's eye
-- The way Martin Freeman cocks his head and looks quizzical.
-- James Nesbitt's dimples.
-- When Benedict Cumberbatch's voice goes reaaaaaaaaallllllll loooooowwwwwwwwww.
-- Kate's sweaty t-shirt -- oh wait, wrong show

Oh, and.... Thorin.

*grin*

Bring on 'The Hobbit' !

=============================================

This is an opinion piece and does not represent views and opinions of TheOneRing.net as a whole.

Maegwen is a long-time senior staffer who loves Tolkien in all forms -- films, books, gripes & gushing. She loves to debate everything and can't resist a good joke.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jul 17 2011, 7:06pm)

Subject User Time
What's 'Hot' is Being Cool News From Bree Send a private message to News From Bree Jul 17 2011, 10:45am
    Must be nice to have a soap box DrDeath153 Send a private message to DrDeath153 Jul 17 2011, 5:21pm
        I think you've got it backwards Annael Send a private message to Annael Jul 17 2011, 5:27pm
            Just a smidge of caustic humour DrDeath153 Send a private message to DrDeath153 Jul 17 2011, 5:34pm
                No worries from me maegwen Send a private message to maegwen Jul 17 2011, 6:55pm
                    Three cheers for meagwen! Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Jul 17 2011, 7:12pm
                        *mods up* Annael Send a private message to Annael Jul 17 2011, 7:21pm
                            I'm so glad you feel that way maegwen Send a private message to maegwen Jul 17 2011, 7:34pm
                            Ha, definitely agree Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Jul 17 2011, 7:56pm
                                I loved Tyrion ShireHorse Send a private message to ShireHorse Jul 17 2011, 8:07pm
                                Same here maegwen Send a private message to maegwen Jul 17 2011, 8:16pm
                        Oh don't worry maegwen Send a private message to maegwen Jul 17 2011, 7:33pm
            Well said Ececheira Send a private message to Ececheira Jul 17 2011, 6:17pm
            I welcome the comments maegwen Send a private message to maegwen Jul 17 2011, 6:47pm
        In many ways Hengist Send a private message to Hengist Jul 17 2011, 5:44pm
            Would TORn welcome an opinion piece from me? DrDeath153 Send a private message to DrDeath153 Jul 17 2011, 5:58pm
                To be honest Hengist Send a private message to Hengist Jul 17 2011, 6:08pm
        You don't seriously think that, do you? Kyriel Send a private message to Kyriel Jul 17 2011, 6:50pm
    Hear, hear!!! // Rosie-with-the-ribbons Send a private message to Rosie-with-the-ribbons Jul 17 2011, 5:52pm
    Kate's sweaty t-shirt -- oh wait, wrong show namarie Send a private message to namarie Jul 17 2011, 6:15pm
    May I just cheer 'the partidge in a pear tree' bit... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jul 17 2011, 7:21pm
    Hot Damn Hot Dwarves! ilovekili Send a private message to ilovekili Jul 17 2011, 8:06pm
    It amazes me that someone would call you out on spelling dwarves as dwarves. taekotemple Send a private message to taekotemple Jul 17 2011, 8:48pm
        It's how Tolkien spelled it Annael Send a private message to Annael Jul 17 2011, 9:11pm
            Dwarfs is 'correct'; dwarves is Tolkien... but... RoseCotton Send a private message to RoseCotton Jul 18 2011, 5:47am
                It's a matter of context. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Jul 18 2011, 6:48am
                    Yes, as I said... RoseCotton Send a private message to RoseCotton Jul 18 2011, 7:31am
        That was the nicest thing they said maegwen Send a private message to maegwen Jul 17 2011, 9:36pm
    Does this mean the naked dwarves scene is back in? squire Send a private message to squire Jul 17 2011, 9:47pm
        Oh dear! taekotemple Send a private message to taekotemple Jul 17 2011, 11:57pm
        Yay, a Hobbit equivalent for the much-fantasized Parth Galen bathing scene! // Kyriel Send a private message to Kyriel Jul 18 2011, 1:05am
        I dunno, squire... dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Jul 18 2011, 1:47am
            As usual, squire is misunderstood... sador Send a private message to sador Jul 18 2011, 9:42am
                Warm-blooded? dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Jul 18 2011, 11:36am
                    George Costanza would wonder... Phibbus Send a private message to Phibbus Jul 18 2011, 12:18pm
                        Haha... Maiarmike Send a private message to Maiarmike Jul 18 2011, 12:21pm
        Bombur naked. Maiarmike Send a private message to Maiarmike Jul 18 2011, 3:01am
        Yes, but it will only involve Bombur. Have fun.// Faenoriel Send a private message to Faenoriel Jul 18 2011, 3:23am
    "If I fangirl anyone, it's Richard Taylor." Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Jul 18 2011, 12:20am
        LOL that makes three of us ;D // Kelvarhin Send a private message to Kelvarhin Jul 18 2011, 2:49am
        Richard <3 // Faenoriel Send a private message to Faenoriel Jul 18 2011, 3:24am
    I love these columns marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina Jul 18 2011, 2:15am
    Can I now officially come out of my "Crush on Thorin" closet? Faenoriel Send a private message to Faenoriel Jul 18 2011, 3:30am
        Yes, don't suffocate him! Let him out! taekotemple Send a private message to taekotemple Jul 19 2011, 12:38am
    Is it just me... GAndyalf Send a private message to GAndyalf Jul 18 2011, 4:22am
        No it's not just you Faenoriel Send a private message to Faenoriel Jul 18 2011, 4:25am
            I try to stay away from these boards... GAndyalf Send a private message to GAndyalf Jul 18 2011, 4:52am
                Staying away is the best thing Faenoriel Send a private message to Faenoriel Jul 18 2011, 4:54am
                    Well... Phibbus Send a private message to Phibbus Jul 18 2011, 5:12am
                        Actually, my subject is to do a literary analysis of internet discussions in the social media Faenoriel Send a private message to Faenoriel Jul 18 2011, 5:17am
                            Details "gum"-ming up the works! GAndyalf Send a private message to GAndyalf Jul 18 2011, 5:21am
                                Hahahahaha! That's exactly Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Jul 18 2011, 6:34pm
                            Well, there is that question in the "Behold Thorin" thread... Kyriel Send a private message to Kyriel Jul 18 2011, 2:16pm
                Ah! Imagine the dialogue! Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Jul 18 2011, 6:43pm
                    All the dwarves as they're taken to their cells in the elvenking's underground hold... GAndyalf Send a private message to GAndyalf Jul 18 2011, 9:14pm
                        Heehee, "Orcrist on kill . . ." So---Next! Any takers? :) How 'bout Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Jul 18 2011, 11:08pm
    Why does the writer of this post assume that all TORN-readers are female? // macfalk Send a private message to macfalk Jul 18 2011, 9:29am
        Because most of them are? // Flagg Send a private message to Flagg Jul 18 2011, 12:14pm
        Females aren't necessarily the only ones who appreciate a good looking male ;-) Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Jul 18 2011, 12:38pm
            Yeah, but macfalk Send a private message to macfalk Jul 18 2011, 1:42pm
                Well I would start one Hengist Send a private message to Hengist Jul 18 2011, 1:46pm
                I'm sure that will happen Kyriel Send a private message to Kyriel Jul 18 2011, 2:18pm
    I find this entire series of articles problematic. Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jul 18 2011, 3:19pm
        If I may Hengist Send a private message to Hengist Jul 18 2011, 4:46pm
            No insult intended Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jul 18 2011, 7:16pm
                What happened to the good ole' days when Helen Kelly was the enemy!? Richie Rich Send a private message to Richie Rich Jul 18 2011, 7:25pm
                Well, I can't speak for Hengist, but I can explain where I found the insult Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter Jul 18 2011, 7:49pm
                    How about we assume that maybe, Kangi has a point Zizix Send a private message to Zizix Jul 18 2011, 8:01pm
                        I'd say it goes both ways Faenoriel Send a private message to Faenoriel Jul 18 2011, 8:04pm
                        I don't believe I did say everyone on this forum is "oh so nice" Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter Jul 18 2011, 8:13pm
                            Sorry, Arwen's daughter Zizix Send a private message to Zizix Jul 18 2011, 8:21pm
                            I did not attempt to Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jul 18 2011, 8:30pm
                                You may not have attempted to, but you did // Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter Jul 18 2011, 8:32pm
                                    No I did not.// Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jul 18 2011, 8:37pm
                                        As I've already explained my reasoning above Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter Jul 18 2011, 8:40pm
                                            It is perfectly clear and I will not do you the favor. Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jul 18 2011, 8:44pm
                                        Ok donning the admin hat Hengist Send a private message to Hengist Jul 18 2011, 8:42pm
                        In reply to the whole class debate Ref Send a private message to Ref Jul 18 2011, 8:14pm
                            Darkstone has no class, Darkstone needs no class. / Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jul 18 2011, 9:04pm
                            Ever hear of Godwin's Law? I think it could be related to that in some way. Maiarmike Send a private message to Maiarmike Jul 19 2011, 7:51am
                                Ha, I think you're right there Ref Send a private message to Ref Jul 19 2011, 5:01pm
                    Why does everyone pick on Kangi as soon as he has something to say? // macfalk Send a private message to macfalk Jul 18 2011, 9:21pm
                        Hengist has asked that this be taken offline.. Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Jul 18 2011, 9:45pm
                            Uh, does this mean I may not ask Kangi to explain what or whom he means kiwifan Send a private message to kiwifan Jul 21 2011, 6:32pm
                So you see nothing Hengist Send a private message to Hengist Jul 18 2011, 7:52pm
                    Sorry Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jul 18 2011, 8:06pm
        That's very wise Kangi... Eruthurin Send a private message to Eruthurin Jul 18 2011, 4:52pm
        I don't consider you a troll namarie Send a private message to namarie Jul 19 2011, 12:04pm
    Some comments on all of this... Longbeard Send a private message to Longbeard Jul 18 2011, 3:30pm
        I agree with you on 99% of what you say. Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jul 18 2011, 3:44pm
        You nailed everything. Snulle Send a private message to Snulle Jul 19 2011, 6:25am
    Awesome!... love it!... agree with you 100%... // Eruthurin Send a private message to Eruthurin Jul 18 2011, 4:44pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.