Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
TIME Names Sauron Top Evil Sorcerer

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jul 17 2011, 5:59am

Post #1 of 12 (1688 views)
Shortcut
TIME Names Sauron Top Evil Sorcerer Can't Post

With the last film in the Harry Potter series out, audiences around the world will line up to see how Harry finally reckons with the evil dark mage Voldemort. TIME looks at other famous nefarious wizards and The Lord of the Rings Sauron tops the list! Thanks to Ringer Corvalis84 for sending us the link. [Read the List]

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jul 17 2011, 1:27pm

Post #2 of 12 (752 views)
Shortcut
What about his boss? [In reply to] Can't Post

Has everyone forgotten about Morgoth?

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Jul 17 2011, 1:28pm)

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jul 17 2011, 1:31pm

Post #3 of 12 (821 views)
Shortcut
Well, I think Sauron's malice and power even surpassed Morgoth at some point. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think if Morgoth were around at the time to see Sauron surpass him, he would have said things like, "alright, now that's just mean, dude...", or "Damn, why didn't I think of that?". Laugh

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
--Walter Sobchak

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 17 2011, 8:10pm

Post #4 of 12 (720 views)
Shortcut
Morgoth hasn't entered pop culture. [In reply to] Can't Post

If the Silmarillion ever goes mainstream, then Morgoth will get his due. In the meantime, Sauron is the famous one.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Jonathan the Elf
Rivendell

Jul 18 2011, 3:59am

Post #5 of 12 (703 views)
Shortcut
Morgoth! [In reply to] Can't Post

Morgoth was the original and I think he should get his credit. But of the argument between Morgoth or Sauron being the most powerful. Remember this Sauron’s power is in his cunning so yes he’s smarter and craftier. But Morgoth’s power was in the great forces he commanded there’s only one belrog in Sauron’s time that I can think of but looking back at Morgoths time I see and hear of many many belrogs and other such creatures of terror and not to mention those thousands and thousand of tasty orcsis. I think Morgoths the more powerful but that isn’t to say he couldn’t be tricked.

Jonathan the Elf (fan)

“How shall a man judge what to do in such times? Yea ask. As he ever has judged, good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another thing among . It is a man’s part to discern them, as much as in the Golden woods an in his own house” said Aragorn

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Jul 18 2011, 1:37pm

Post #6 of 12 (727 views)
Shortcut
Ooh! Sauron takes down Voldemort! [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course we all knew that!Wink

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jul 18 2011, 5:46pm

Post #7 of 12 (691 views)
Shortcut
The good guys were more powerful in Morgoth's time. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I think Sauron's malice and power even surpassed Morgoth at some point.

I don't think Sauron would ever dream of a direct confrontation with Morgoth. Sauron was just one of the many corrupted Maia Morgoth commanded. (I think the Balrog at Moria was more a potential rival than a minion of the second Dark Lord.)

One of the reasons why Sauron seemed so powerful by the time of 'The Lord of the Rings' was because the good guys were militarily less powerful than their ancestors, which admittedly Sauron was in some ways responsible for.

To compare the two Dark Lords:

Morgoth was defeated by the armies of the Valar.

Sauron was defeated by a Hobbit.

At one time, Sauron was even beaten by a dog. Of course, Morgoth did almost get eaten by a spider.

Dalgalad
The Shire

Jul 23 2011, 9:58am

Post #8 of 12 (668 views)
Shortcut
Well Voldemort did copy Sauron's ideas.. [In reply to] Can't Post

By putting a large part of his power in inanimate objects (I forget the name of them now...horcruxes or something like that).

At least he learnt not to put all his eggs in one basket and spread himself around a bit (so he didn't have a repeat of the Mount Doom debacle).

Despite this, the ploy failed once again. Perhaps future Dark Lords should upload their powers to the internet to prevent anyone from permanently taking them down.

terrymerry
Rivendell

Jul 23 2011, 9:11pm

Post #9 of 12 (839 views)
Shortcut
Sauron's was only a puppet... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron's was only a puppet to Morgoth hand ....ha! Wink

Turin Turambar
The Shire

Jul 25 2011, 11:14pm

Post #10 of 12 (590 views)
Shortcut
No way, [In reply to] Can't Post

As menacing as the movie portrays Sauron, he was merely the Leiutenant of Morgoth. Also Sauron was of the Maiar, the servants of the Valar, while Morgoth was one of the Valar themselves.

Turin Turambar
The Shire

Jul 25 2011, 11:20pm

Post #11 of 12 (586 views)
Shortcut
Lets not forget that Morgoth is one of the Valar. [In reply to] Can't Post

Morgoth is a god which gives him much more powerful magic and what not. Some could argue that Sauron one of the Maiar, but even then, the Maiar were but servants of the Valar.

Jonathan the Elf
Rivendell

Jul 26 2011, 8:39pm

Post #12 of 12 (698 views)
Shortcut
Very true [In reply to] Can't Post

Morgoth is far more powerful.

Jonathan the Elf (fan)

“How shall a man judge what to do in such times? Yea ask. As he ever has judged, good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another thing among . It is a man’s part to discern them, as much as in the Golden woods an in his own house” said Aragorn

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.