Glaurung VS Gothmog?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

esheming
Bree

Jul 17 2011, 1:37am

Post #1 of 26 (11389 views)
Shortcut
Glaurung VS Gothmog? Can't Post

Gothmog the balrog, not the orc of course. I'm guessing Glaurung but not basing it on any real "knowledge"!

Glaurung: hypnotizing gaze, large appetite, poisonous blood, likes to trick siblings into marrying eachother

Gothmog: black axe, fiery whip, lord of balrogs, (can possibly morph into slime balrog in water)

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Jul 17 2011, 4:39am

Post #2 of 26 (10076 views)
Shortcut
On one angle it's difficult because both are fire beings in a sense. But, [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I'm going to go with Glaurung.

Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing they evidently prefer.

That was just a bit of fun really. -Loki, Thor

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2011, 4:22am

Post #3 of 26 (9818 views)
Shortcut
Gothmog, because he can fly. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, I just had to.

Honestly, I'd go with Glaurung. If everything else fails, he can still outwit Gothmog or hypnotize him.

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Jul 18 2011, 4:26am

Post #4 of 26 (9792 views)
Shortcut
Can't Glaurung fly too?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing they evidently prefer.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2011, 4:31am

Post #5 of 26 (9788 views)
Shortcut
No, he is unwinged. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what got him killed. He had to crawl over the canyon where Turin was hiding, and thus Turin got to stab his vulnerable underbelly.

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Jul 18 2011, 5:09am

Post #6 of 26 (10033 views)
Shortcut
Good to know. I need to re-read the Sil. Probably going to do that after I finish ROTK. Thanks:)// [In reply to] Can't Post

esheming
Bree

Jul 18 2011, 1:27pm

Post #7 of 26 (9774 views)
Shortcut
Barogs dong have wings!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, I had to back!

Wings or not, I'd like to see a hypnotized balrog!

esheming
Bree

Jul 18 2011, 1:30pm

Post #8 of 26 (9808 views)
Shortcut
Have you read Children Of Hurin? [In reply to] Can't Post

Glaurung's crawling all over that book. It has that Silmarillion feel, really beautiful.

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Jul 18 2011, 2:26pm

Post #9 of 26 (9777 views)
Shortcut
Gothmog the Balrog [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to with a balrog over a dragon.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

esheming
Bree

Jul 18 2011, 3:04pm

Post #10 of 26 (9875 views)
Shortcut
Meant "Balrogs DON'T have wings"... [In reply to] Can't Post

How it the world did I mistype that!?

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Jul 18 2011, 6:14pm

Post #11 of 26 (9797 views)
Shortcut
I have and I really liked it a ton. It slipped my mind or I didn't catch the [In reply to] Can't Post

fact that he didn't have wings. Now that I think about it I remember that he was called a great worm. I've only read the Sil and CoH once because I just became a fan of LOTR last May. I'm planning on reading both soon.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2011, 7:17pm

Post #12 of 26 (9778 views)
Shortcut
Only since May? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm, I remembered an ideo for a poll I had some time ago... thanks for remainding me!

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Jul 18 2011, 7:20pm

Post #13 of 26 (9800 views)
Shortcut
Glad I could help:-P// [In reply to] Can't Post

TheNazgul
Rivendell

Jul 24 2011, 12:06am

Post #14 of 26 (9857 views)
Shortcut
Gothmog! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dalamar:"so as you can see Queen Takhisis has returned."
Palin:"challenge accepted!"Photobucket

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Jul 24 2011, 5:15am

Post #15 of 26 (9967 views)
Shortcut
haha I love your description! [In reply to] Can't Post

"likes to trick siblings into marrying eachother"!

Hard to say though....I dunno....Balrogs are large and firey but I love Glaurung....

Photobucket

'Help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter.'

Photobucket

"Yet in that hour was put to the proof that which Mithrandir had spoken, and help came from the hands of the weak when the Wise faltered."

Turin Turambar
The Shire

Jul 25 2011, 11:27pm

Post #16 of 26 (9803 views)
Shortcut
Gothmog would win. [In reply to] Can't Post

Glaurung is a fire being, yet in this match fire will not make the difference, the deciding factor is the weapons that Gothmog can weild. For a regular balrog (such as the one in the fellowship) can weild a sword, then just think of what a Balrog commander could weild. I doubt that the claws or teeth of Glaurung could withstand a gigantic flaming swordsman.

Bjorn
Bree

Jul 29 2011, 4:07am

Post #17 of 26 (9797 views)
Shortcut
The balrog king [In reply to] Can't Post

Glaurug was killed by a man, he was a slow moving huge snake. Gothmog was the greatest commander under Morgoth and lead armies of dragons and other balrogs into battles against the elves.

Gothmog probably lead Glaurug too, I think there is a reason he was the leader and not glaurug. Gothmog was slain by an elf lord and Glaurug by a human.

It looks like Gothmog was the stronger one...Tolkien also refers to Gothmog as the son of morgoth...

(This post was edited by Bjorn on Jul 29 2011, 4:09am)

Phibbus
Rohan

Jul 30 2011, 4:09pm

Post #18 of 26 (10086 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

Gothmog would scratch Glaurung's ears and tummy, and Glaurung would wag his tail and lick Gothmog's face. It's a tie.

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Aug 2 2011, 9:30pm

Post #19 of 26 (9841 views)
Shortcut
Sword? Huh? [In reply to] Can't Post

Gothmog didn't wield a sword, but a black axe. I suppose it was black from being burned, lol.

Wink

I have no idea who would win, but Gothmog was 'High Captain' of Angband', meaning, I assume, that he lead it's armies into battle. The interesting thing to note, though, is as of The battle of Sudden Flame, when Glaurung became fully mature, HE seems to be the one that is at the forefront of each of Morgoth's battles from that point on: the 4th battle; versus Maedhros' forces in the 5th battle; Wiping up West Beleriand & taking out both Nargothrond & Bethril; Also, in the forefront of the sacking of Gondolin.

So, it would appear Morgoth saw Glaurung as a mightier 'weapon' in battle than even the Lord of the Balrogs.

I guess that shows who Tolkien (through Morgoth) thought was mightier: Glaurung.

In Reply To

In Reply To

The Ultimate Tolkien Trivia Quiz: http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=so-you-want-to-be-tolkien-geek

Turin Turambar
The Shire

Aug 9 2011, 6:49am

Post #20 of 26 (9868 views)
Shortcut
True, yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

A black axe is not much different than a sword. Though Glaurung did indeed have a far larger influence on Morgoths assaults, I do not think that the flame of Glaurung can kill a creature made of fire. Thus making the black axe of Gothmog the deciding key tool to the victory of Gothmog.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2011, 5:21pm

Post #21 of 26 (9672 views)
Shortcut
AVP [In reply to] Can't Post

Glaurung the wingless dragon v Gothmog the Balrog reminds me of Aliens versus Predator.

"That doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, you are quite small. Perhaps you're right."

esheming
Bree

Aug 13 2011, 2:32am

Post #22 of 26 (9743 views)
Shortcut
I believe that Glaurung was a captain of armies as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and he does have the gaze that causes a forgetting trance... I'm sticking with Glaurung as well...

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2011, 3:24pm

Post #23 of 26 (9886 views)
Shortcut
I would have to say Gothmog.... [In reply to] Can't Post

......although we dont know much about him, the fact that he was Lord of Balrogs is enough for me to say that he would slay Glaurung if not with ease, then with slight effort. He was a bad-ass mighty Maia, who slew lots of figures.

Though now I think about it.........was Glaurung a Maia as well??? If he wasnt a Maia, then who the hell was he??

"But the other two Istari were sent for a different purpose. Morinethar's and Rómestámo's task was to circumvent Sauron, to bring help to the few tribes of Men that had rebelled from Melkor-worship, to stir up rebellion and after his first fall to search out his hiding and to cause dissension and disarray among the dark East. They must have had very great influence on the history of the Second age and Third age in weakening and disarraying the forces of East who would both in the Second age and Third age otherwise have outnumbered the West."

Barahir'sRing

Sep 12 2011, 12:47am

Post #24 of 26 (9841 views)
Shortcut
Gothmog for sure [In reply to] Can't Post

No contest at all here Gothmog easily wins. He's a Maia and Lord of the Balrogs. Glaurung however powerful is just a Dragon, a powerful one for sure but just a Dragon and after all the great Dragons were all slain by men.

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Dec 8 2011, 9:52pm

Post #25 of 26 (9714 views)
Shortcut
Reply - Glaurung v Gothmog [In reply to] Can't Post

I would say Gothmog because he was a corrupted Maia but I always wondered when Prof. Tolkien described Glaurung as being embodied with a fell spirit or something like that if he was leaning toward having Glaurung being embodied by a corrupted Maia as well. Anyhow - since Gothomog was a corrupted divine spirit - it would have to be him rather than the "father of dragons," Glaurung. Great thread & postings !Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.