Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Balin and Dwalin Photo
First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Patty
Immortal

Jul 16 2011, 3:29am

Post #301 of 351 (17098 views)
Shortcut
I don't think I've ever "feared" it... [In reply to] Can't Post

my history with the RR goes back to before our wonderful new boards--back into the mists of time when we were posting our discussions on the main board--picture it!Laugh

But I did get to where I didn't like the "scholarly" nature of how it got to be, and what I've always said about TORn, be it the RR or any discussions that turn nasty--and sometimes they do--is that I come on here for fun, and when it stops being that or becomes work then I leave whatever the discussion is. Although I believe I can make my thoughts reasonably well understood (except during the many times when I am sleep deprived) I don't like working at it--backing up my opinions with details, for example. Part of that is because my concentration and memory is not what I'd like it to be. So, yeah, I don't go into deep levels of discussion, and often don't read long posts for that very reason. I'm very happy though, that we accommodate all levels of enthusiasm here. I love your cutlery analogy, weaver. Heart

Permanent address: Into the West

(This post was edited by Patty on Jul 16 2011, 3:37am)

Buchanicus
Lorien

Jul 16 2011, 3:33am

Post #302 of 351 (17191 views)
Shortcut
Hi-res? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there a Hi-res version of this picture yet? And...a Hi-res pic of Bombur, Bofur, and Bifur?

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 16 2011, 3:45am

Post #303 of 351 (17075 views)
Shortcut
You took the words right out of my mouth weaver... [In reply to] Can't Post

now, put those back!Sly

Permanent address: Into the West

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 16 2011, 3:48am

Post #304 of 351 (17056 views)
Shortcut
I hear you... [In reply to] Can't Post

..that's why I only lead one chapter discussion at a time. It is a lot of work to do a proper job of it there!

But I did want to take the opportunity, as a non-RR regular, to plug that board, as part of my response to you. It can be a great experience, but I do think people shy away from it! (Thanks for letting me shanghai your reply to do that..I figured you would not mind too much! Smile.)

The LOTR movie board has always been a lot more enjoyable to me --I guess it suits my personality and my "inclusive" kind of brain better...while I can analyze a glass of water, it's more from the perspective of how each part contributes to the whole, rather than looking at things in a very exacting kind of way.

Weaver

ThunderKing
The Shire

Jul 16 2011, 4:00am

Post #305 of 351 (17159 views)
Shortcut
Dwalin [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he looks awesome , but for some reason he is reminding me of Harry Shearer in a Mighty Wind... LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JhLuVu-Cho&feature=related

(This post was edited by ThunderKing on Jul 16 2011, 4:01am)

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 16 2011, 4:05am

Post #306 of 351 (17060 views)
Shortcut
Ha! That's a great observation! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm... singing dwarves...

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 16 2011, 4:11am

Post #307 of 351 (17127 views)
Shortcut
Kangi, you've got it. No blue beard. Rather dissapointing in light of all the other oddities [In reply to] Can't Post

I suspected that Jackson might veer away from Dwalin having a blue beard as described in the book. I had hoped he might go for that grey tinted blue so commonly seen in various old ladies. When I saw the photos of some of the other dwarves though, and how outlandish some of them were, I thought that perhaps a little blue tinting to Dwalin's beard was pretty much assured. Alas, not so, but in the face of some of those bat guano crazy designs for Nori, Bifur and Bofur, I am slightly puzzled. I have to say, sometimes Peter's departures from the text end up feeling like more of an unpleasant salt rub, because he goes and adds other things to the films that seem to fly directly in the face of the logic for the departures.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 16 2011, 4:25am

Post #308 of 351 (17022 views)
Shortcut
For some reason, I keep imagining Dwalin with a huge turkey leg in that scene. [In reply to] Can't Post

But then, were there turkeys in Middle-earth? Wink

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 16 2011, 4:29am

Post #309 of 351 (17041 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you on that one. [In reply to] Can't Post

But arguing can be a given anywhere you have a wide range of personalities and opinions. Hopefully, it sticks to the good kind of arguing where information is shared and new things are learned. Smile

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 16 2011, 4:56am

Post #310 of 351 (17035 views)
Shortcut
The 13 Dwarves and the Fountain of Youth! [In reply to] Can't Post

WinkLaugh

Garfeimao
Rohan

Jul 16 2011, 5:17am

Post #311 of 351 (16995 views)
Shortcut
Won't the weapons get confiscated by the Elves???? [In reply to] Can't Post

If we assume these are the weapons they start the journey with, then might they be confiscated by the Elves during their internment? Or even before that, when they are chased up the trees and then carried away by the Eagles, how does one get a war hammer and spears up a tree? I don't see those weapons fitting into a wine barrel.

But then, if we assume these weapons come later in the game, such as from Lake Town, then one must ask if these looks are after all their adventures so far.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 16 2011, 6:18am

Post #312 of 351 (17019 views)
Shortcut
Very cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

I want this when it's done! Great job!

bookgirl13
Lorien

Jul 16 2011, 7:07am

Post #313 of 351 (16975 views)
Shortcut
Their aunt is Ayesha from Rider Haggard's She [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey for the pillar of fire which grants immortality.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 16 2011, 7:20am

Post #314 of 351 (16993 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, it evolved... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I didn't evolve with it. Best leave it at that, though I think I would describe the RR action as delicate fencing with the occasional fancy footwork, and save the cutlery for the Hobbit board. ;)

NARF
NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Jul 16 2011, 7:21am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 16 2011, 8:11am

Post #315 of 351 (16996 views)
Shortcut
My list (not very pure, but I do my best...) [In reply to] Can't Post

Based just on the photos (I might change my mind completely once we see more of them, but

1. Gloin
2. Oin
3. Fili
4. Dori
5. Ori
6. Kili
7. Balin
8. Bofur
9. Nori
10. Dwalin
11. Bifur
12. Bombur

I think all the costumes are excellent except Bombur's, which to my eye just doesn't belong (also I see my Mum's old coat, circa 1960-something, every time I look at him; that's just unfortunate. The 'showing off his double chin' idea bothers me a bit as well and I'd have preferred it if he had a proper beard). But there's some gorgeous leather work and detailing on the others and I mark Kili up for having what appears to be a blue hood.

And isn't it interesting that we've all chosen something different? That suggests to me that they've done the job pretty well.

TheWhiteRider
Bree

Jul 16 2011, 8:45am

Post #316 of 351 (17102 views)
Shortcut
Found this on the internet [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue http://i56.tinypic.com/xnrwp3.gif

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jul 16 2011, 9:39am

Post #317 of 351 (16942 views)
Shortcut
I LOL'd. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Evil

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
--Walter Sobchak

Snulle
Bree

Jul 16 2011, 9:52am

Post #318 of 351 (16938 views)
Shortcut
Haha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hilarious! Cool

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jul 16 2011, 10:10am

Post #319 of 351 (16914 views)
Shortcut
That's always the indicator of good work. [In reply to] Can't Post

When different people choose different favorites from the same artist.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
--Walter Sobchak

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jul 16 2011, 11:52am

Post #320 of 351 (16866 views)
Shortcut
A glimpse at my constantly shifting list [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Balin – a perfect, curly, colourful, old, Oriental Santa Claus
2) Fili – a great interpretation of what a young Dwarf could look like, stays close to the book's description of the character and exudes personality (the grin won me over)
3) Oin – a pure, unadulterated Dwarf (we needed a few of these to ground the more outlandish ones)
4) Gloin – another pure Dwarf, but loses points for essentially being exactly the same as Gimli
5) Bifur – a slightly wild, demented-looking barbarian; pushes the boundaries of Dwarven preconceptions but remains identifiable as a member of the race
6) Dwalin – a towering biker/bouncer Dwarf you don't want to cross; has a unique look but stays Dwarven
7) Dori – a bit more aristocratic than the others; his beard is a bit small, but he's got an interesting sort of attitude about him
8) Bofur – a sturdy, reliable, everyday blue-collar Dwarf; not an interesting individual but I'm glad he's a member of the group
9) Bombur – I like the Astιrix resemblance, but dislike the Harry Knowles/Fat Scotsman resemblance
10) Nori – the weirdo of the group; good design, but I'm still not sure about the star hair
11) Ori – I like the 'Dwarven nerd' idea; he looks a bit weak and hasn't got much of a beard, but overall I approve
12) Kili – not a Dwarf by any stretch of the imagination.

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Jul 16 2011, 12:55pm

Post #321 of 351 (16842 views)
Shortcut
I hope the dwarf/elf humor... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is not so crass and unfunny as the scene you describe. Fingers crossed!

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 16 2011, 1:39pm

Post #322 of 351 (16857 views)
Shortcut
Well, I don't know... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the shards of Narsil apart, it doesn't sound that far removed from 'Some called for ale, and some for porter, and one for coffee, and all of them for cakes'. Even in the book the dwarves were demanding house guests who took a lot of feeding. I wouldn't be surprised to see something of that in the film, with some justification. Whether it's funny or not depends on how its done and on individual taste (ours, not the dwarves'!).

DrDeath153
Lorien

Jul 16 2011, 1:54pm

Post #323 of 351 (16837 views)
Shortcut
To be honest the Reading Room doesn't do much for me either [In reply to] Can't Post

The style of debate there is a bit too dense for my tastes. Having to go to the books each time i post is not actually something that rings my bell, but i'm very happy to if it is required to support my points. Perhaps being a purist i believe that my opinions (where they coincide with my purism) have more validity than the opinions of those who's don't based on the fact they reflect a vision closer to what Tolkien stated/implied. I think that's a fairly understandable attitude given that the films that we are so fervently discussing are adaptations of Tolkien's works and so are held up against benchmark of what he wrote. Whatever the end result has to be compared in terms of how closely it follows Tolkien's own intents. Therefore you could make a film which wins 11 oscars including all the major ones LotR missed out on (the best lead/supporting actor/actress categories) and yet that doesn't mean it's necessarily a great adaptation of Tolkien- a great adaptation is one that captures the story irrespective of the original's literary standing (something that the Reading Room forum is more apt to analyse).

Personally i believe, and i don't think anyone here would deny, that the original is pretty damn good (though i've got to admit not perfect- someone else mentioned that it's a little bit light in terms of the amount of material and skim reading it (though that may be the reason why) i got that feel as well- i do wish there was more of it to develop the characters) but i will always defend the story and the characters at the heart. More of the same would be great, but more of something rather different will be something i'd resist, and i will without shame demand that people who express an opinion i believe is not based on the source either find and present evidence or else make strenuously clear that their opinion is personal and thus in a sense 'second rate'....

.....Yeah, i think i can see why i've had trouble making friends hereLaugh. I don't think you could claim my thinking is illogical even if it is anti-social thoughAngelic.

Dr Death

Annael
Immortal

Jul 16 2011, 2:11pm

Post #324 of 351 (16777 views)
Shortcut
there is absolutely nothing wrong with saying how you feel about things [In reply to] Can't Post

Where most people go wrong is 1. insisting that others should feel the same way and 2. trying to use some kind of "logic" or "facts" or trying to ally themselves to a group ("real fans") or an authority ("Tolkien is rolling in his grave") to make their personal preference seem more legitimate. That backfires because it gives people something to argue over, and it also paradoxically makes the person sound like they aren't so sure of their own opinion. No one can argue if you just say "well, I don't like it! I don't look at that picture and think 'dwarf.' I think PJ has gone in the wrong direction here." You've just said what YOU think and you are the only authority on that. People can say "well, I do like it," but simply expressing a different opinion is not arguing.

(Although a friend did have a boyfriend in college who, when she said "well, that's just my opinion" shouted at her "NO IT ISN'T!" That relationship didn't last long.)

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jul 16 2011, 2:16pm

Post #325 of 351 (16732 views)
Shortcut
I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

and not expecting that kind of scenario either. I meant it in a facetious/tongue in cheek way. (btw - that kind of humor would be more suited for one of those "Epic Movie/Scary Movie" parody type films).

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.