Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Balin and Dwalin Photo
First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

esheming
Bree

Jul 15 2011, 11:26pm

Post #276 of 351 (15197 views)
Shortcut
You are right..! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ori wouldn't have carried that book during the quest in The Hobbit ~ I was imagining these pictures as sort of being representations of each character rather than being snapshots from the film per se, and that they might have given Ori the book to hold simply as a teaser ~ but you could be right and maybe he will carry a diary along with him in The Hobbit to establish him as the record keeper who eventually dies in Moria holding a book. That would be a nice detail. As far as the possibility of an epilogue or brigde, obviously they are having Frodo in the movie, as well as Drogo and more ~ and there is a little bit of an epilogue in the book ~ I wonder if they'll 'add' to the book's epilogue: Frodo coming to live with Bilbo, and maybe Frodo would be with Bilbo when Balin and Gandalf come to visit ~ maybe they'd turn that into a "We were on the way to Moria and thought we'd stop by..." visit. Maybe even Oin, Ori, et al might be with them in the film...interesting. I wonder if showing Moria would seem like 'just too much' though!

Patty
Immortal

Jul 15 2011, 11:26pm

Post #277 of 351 (15257 views)
Shortcut
Ha ha! I actually think that's why Kili was shown like this... [In reply to] Can't Post

because all along it was planned to have Thorin be slender and dark and younger looking than his years. Kili was just to get us on board with the fact that Grecian formula or its equivalent exists in Middle-earth. I wonder if it's made with some extract of Mithral, and that's why the dwarves value it so highly.Sly Or Miruvor, and that's why the elves stay so young looking. Yeah, and the dwarves are mad at the elves cause they won't share, except Thorin and Kili got hold of it somehow, and...

okay. Time to STOP.WinkEvil

Permanent address: Into the West

Patty
Immortal

Jul 15 2011, 11:27pm

Post #278 of 351 (15273 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, the colors aren't so bad on the ones that... [In reply to] Can't Post

have been lightened. Still, some green and true blue added here or there would have been grand.

Macfeast
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 11:34pm

Post #279 of 351 (15192 views)
Shortcut
I mentioned this is another topic, as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

Getting to know the dwarves in the Hobbit, and then see three of them go off to Moria during an epilogue, could be potentially heartbreaking.

"No, don't go to Moria, haven't you seen the Trilogy?"

bookgirl13
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 11:40pm

Post #280 of 351 (15223 views)
Shortcut
Nah, they've perfected face clips [In reply to] Can't Post

Bifur's axe in his head is not the result of a mining accident, but a botched face lift. The royal house has the wherewithal to get proper metal clips made and applied to give that youthful, wrinkleless appearance. Dwarves are skilled metal workers, as we all know. Wink

dwarf_girl
The Shire

Jul 15 2011, 11:48pm

Post #281 of 351 (15137 views)
Shortcut
Great family picture [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the frame. Lets wait for Thorin. I think he must be in the center. Maybe between Oin and Fili,

dwarf_girl
The Shire

Jul 16 2011, 12:04am

Post #282 of 351 (15166 views)
Shortcut
Thorin will be all in black, like the old Turin Turambar [In reply to] Can't Post

At least, so it can be seen from the image

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 16 2011, 12:07am

Post #283 of 351 (15160 views)
Shortcut
Here's mine [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Oin
2. Dori
3. Gloin
4. Kili
5. Bombur
6. Bofur
7. Fili
8. Balin
9. Dwalin
10. Ori
11. Nori
12. Bifur

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jul 16 2011, 12:19am

Post #284 of 351 (15148 views)
Shortcut
Moria [In reply to] Can't Post

A quick view of Moria at the height of its splendor would be a nice touch to show during the epilogue/background scenes in order to contrast with the gloomy abandoned version of Moria presented in FOTR; however, the film might only show Erebor during its heyday.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 16 2011, 12:23am

Post #285 of 351 (15121 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that would be neat... [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt it will happen, and it may be too much taking away from Bilbo as the center of the story, but 'd love to see a glimpse of it. This will be our only chance, I imagine. But then, I want to see all of Middle-earth that I can--I'm just afraid of it derailing the main story.

Spencissimus
Lorien

Jul 16 2011, 12:27am

Post #286 of 351 (15106 views)
Shortcut
And mine... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Dwalin - tallying up all the things I like about him - the beard, the hammer, the knuckle-duster gauntlets, the short sleeves and the character description - he's a clear winner

2. Fili - wasn't sure about him at first, but he is the dwarf who has grown on me the most. I love the beard, hair, prosthetics and the cheeky grin!

3. Bifur - as with, Fili, I love his cheeky grin, as well as the overall look of his costume (especially that hat!)

4. Gloin - was initially up the top, due to his traditional dwarvishness, but lost marks because he was too traditional and gets lost amidst his eclectic companions

5. Dori - the perfect mix of traditional and reimagined dwarf, love the braided beard and the sword

6. Balin - I really like him, but I was expecting something a little more Santa Claus than Santa's Helper. Love the costume though, and look of what appears to be a sword

7. Ori - really interesting-looking, PJ and the gang have really captured the youthfulness alluded to in the description. Love the scarf-hood, tassles and innocent expression

8. Oin - as with his bro, wins points for dwarven traditionalism, loses them for being nothing new. Love the weapon though

9. Bombur - I think he's great; fantastic facial hair, love the costuming and vacant expression. Love him, but he's not quite up there with the best of them

10. Bifur - interesting look, very intrigued about the axe-head embedded in his skull. Liking the wild look, but he comes across as a little too odd

11. Nori - I'm not as fussed about the starfish hair as I was initially, and I think his overall look is great. It's just that I think his prosthetics look a little overbearing

12. Kili - I don't dislike him as much as I did originally, but there is a consistancy throughout the other 11 (as diverse a bunch as they are) that he doesn't quite fit into

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jul 16 2011, 12:38am

Post #287 of 351 (15099 views)
Shortcut
Elrond will be hiding his fine china and delicate heirlooms [In reply to] Can't Post

when this crew arrives in Rivendell. Can you imagine the scene? The elves offer the dwarves their finest wine, but the dwarves look at their goblets disdainfully and clamour for beer instead?

Even the shards of Narsil may not be safe from their grubby hands.

However, at Beorn's house they will be on their "bestest" behavior....

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 16 2011, 12:41am

Post #288 of 351 (15112 views)
Shortcut
Here are mine: [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Gloin
2. Bifur (sorry, I like the metal thing in his head, and his completely dopey facial expression) Tongue
3. Dori
4, Oin
5. Balin
6. Dwalin
7. Bofur
8. Bombur
9. Nori
10. Kili
11. Fili
12. Ori

I have to say, Kili and Fili's costumes are great...

I would rather be watching Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" and Ridley Scott's "Prometheus"...it's going to be a long few years.

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jul 16 2011, 12:41am)

Zizix
Rivendell

Jul 16 2011, 12:48am

Post #289 of 351 (15068 views)
Shortcut
I would love a view of Moria at the height of its splendour [In reply to] Can't Post

But that would have to be the Moria of ages past... I doubt Balin's recolonized Moria was more than a fraction of that.

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Jul 16 2011, 12:54am

Post #290 of 351 (15123 views)
Shortcut
Here are mine: [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Fili
2) Oin
3) Ori
4) Kili
5) Dwalin
6) Gloin
7) Balin
8) Dori
9) Nori
10) Bofur
11) Bifur
12) Bombur

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

Zizix
Rivendell

Jul 16 2011, 1:04am

Post #291 of 351 (15066 views)
Shortcut
Oh and my list: [In reply to] Can't Post

Oin - all dwarf, love his beard, and love the look on his face
Gloin - loses a point for looking a bit more regular than Oin
Balin - great looking but could have used something to really make him look interesting
Dwalin - all the dwarven components are there except the proportions I suppose
Dori - nice, like him better since I realized his beard is longer and a bit more special than it first appears
Bofur - nicely dwarfy but nothing exceptional
Bifur - might rise if his hair looks more real and he doesn't look as demented in the movies
Ori - looks more like a Snow White Disney dwarf to me than a Middle-Earth dwarf
Nori - good except the hair
Fili - not the most dwarfy, beard's too short but at least he's got one
Bombur - don't like his pants and bald chin. Altogether looks strange.
Kili - no dwarf

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jul 16 2011, 1:08am

Post #292 of 351 (15030 views)
Shortcut
It's hard to make a list... [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwalin and Bofur is my favorites
Fili and Kili is my least favorite...
I can't rank the rest :/

Marillė by the Sea
Rivendell

Jul 16 2011, 1:09am

Post #293 of 351 (15059 views)
Shortcut
Me too! Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Balin - He's your kindly ol' grandfather just as Gandalf the Grey is your other grumpy one Tongue He's just as I pictured! I'm going to bawl my eyes out when I rewatch FOTR after these movies...
2. Dwalin - I love how he looks like the dwarves in Donato Giancola's painting
3. Bofur - Kili may be the hearthrob, but James Nesbitt's dimpled smile melts me every time! Laugh
4. Gloin - What a dwarf should look like
5. Oin - What a white-haired dwarf should look like lol
6. Ori - I don't understand why Ori is on everyone's bottom of the list... who can resist his cuteness?!
7. Bombur - Don't like his outfit though, there's nothing dwarvish about it
8. Dori- Ehh, nothing bad to say about him
9. Fili - His blond hair stood out jarringly at first, but now that I'm used to it, he looks pretty normal (as far as young dwarves go)
10. Nori - I'm in the general consensus that the starfish is not as bizarre now that I've been gawking at it for hours, but still...it's weird. His outfit is lovely though.
11. Bifur - Like Nori, everything else is cool about him but his HAIR. At first, I thought it was Cruella de Vil reborn or something. Crazy Not cool!
12. Kili - Is it insulting that AT looks more attractive as a man-dwarf-elf hybrid than in real life? And his hair is shinier than mine! Frown

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jul 16 2011, 1:36am

Post #294 of 351 (15000 views)
Shortcut
Aww, you're not that old Kangi...60 is the new 40 these days! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
--Walter Sobchak

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Jul 16 2011, 1:45am

Post #295 of 351 (15030 views)
Shortcut
My list [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Balin - I love the Balin of the books, and I love the kindly and vaguely oriental look PJ has given him.
2. Bifur - Apart from the Halloween-esque piece of metal stuck in his head (which I bet is only there for the photo shoot) he looks like a dwarf, only far more interesting than I would have ever imagined. He seems to be a cross between a savage, dark age Briton and a particularly demented Pict. More than the others, something about him is rooted in history - including the outlandish hair. There must have been dwarves like him in Middle Earth!
3. Dwalin: Love the forked beard, and prefer these proportions to the awkward ones of Gimli et al. This is how you do "dwarf" without too much fat suit and prosthetics.
4. Oin: Of the "Gimli and Gloin" family, but far less cartoonish. Proud, dignified, and fierce.
5. Ori: Very dwarvish, but thankfully, not stereotypically blustery.
6. Dori: Another very dwarf-y look without resorting to to much cliche or a tired re-hashing of Gimli.
7. Fili: Looks like a proper young dwarf. Glad to see the minimal prosthetics.
8. Bofur: I'm really liking the Mongolian-inspired theme. Lots of coal in Mongolia!
9. Bombur: A hilarious look, if a bit of an impractical physique for such a journey.
10. Gloin: Nice to see some continuity, but a little too Yosemite Sam, IMO.
11. Nori: He's one where I want to accept the hair (history is full of ridiculous hairdos), but just can't.
12. Kili: He makes me want to buy some new and more expensive shampoo. Not a good sign.

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 16 2011, 2:30am

Post #296 of 351 (15026 views)
Shortcut
It's important to remember [In reply to] Can't Post

People come here because they enjoy Tolkien. Some members here have a more academic way of looking at his works or at the films. They want you to state your belief and back it up with evidence. And they also, when sharing their beliefs, like to back it up with their own evidence. I think you're in that camp.

Not everyone comes on these boards because they want to get into discussing their opinions in an academic way. There are people from all walks of life here, with varied educational backgrounds. So not everyone wants their opinions challenged because they don't necessarily enjoy having to defend their opinions. Yes, that can be frustrating to those who are of the more academic type, but we all have to learn who is in the former camp, who is in the latter camp, and whether it's worth it to ask for evidence or not.

I'm somewhat in the middle. I have a post-grad degree, and after having written so many academic papers, I don't generally have a problem with backing up my opinions. But I do come here to have fun, so I don't want to feel like TORn is an extension of school. So my posts can be a little more casual at times. Sometimes I don't explain myself as well as I would in an academic paper because I don't feel the need.

Given, clarity is always a plus, but with the wide range of members here, including many who don't necessarily speak English fluently, sometimes it's important to not push people too hard unless it's clear they like being challenged in that way.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 16 2011, 2:57am

Post #297 of 351 (15004 views)
Shortcut
Best. Post. All. Year. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Not everyone comes on these boards because they want to get into discussing their opinions in an academic way."

Really, taekotemple, this is kind of why I got out of the Reading Room.

You have expressed some of the differences in viewpoint of the diverse TORnfolk in such a well-worded way.

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 16 2011, 3:04am

Post #298 of 351 (14964 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad it made sense [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm behind a few hours of sleep for the past couple of days, so I wasn't sure if what I posted made sense or not. I'm glad it did!

Ultimately, I think there should be room for everyone, and it seems like generally there is.

By the way, I avoid the Reading Room too. I like going there every once in a while to see what's going on, but I rarely participate.

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 16 2011, 3:12am

Post #299 of 351 (15030 views)
Shortcut
I used to really fear the Reading Room... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it was because of that sense that you had to be prepared to defend yourself at all times, and I always felt like I just had a butter knife and everyone else had a full set of cutlery, so to speak.

It was not until I screwed up my courage and led a chapter discussion that I really found a way to enjoy that environment. I found it far more enjoyable to try to come up with questions to challenge folks and get some discussion going, than to reply to posts, and it was easier for me to couch my views in a question that I asked for feedback on, rather than putting it forward as some kind of assertion to defend.

Since then, I always try to lead at least one chapter discussion there, when I can -- it's a good exercise, and a rewarding one, to go through Tolkien's text in detail, and look at how it's actually constructed, slowing down to enjoy the scenery more instead of driving through it so much, since I'm a pretty fast reader. I don't have the time or temperament to be a regular there, but I have felt that when I've contributed I've been accepted, and that kind of conversation, and the folks who enjoy it, is a lot of fun once you get a comfort level with it.

Just a few thoughts you sparked -- thanks for posting this so I could chime in!

Weaver

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 16 2011, 3:25am

Post #300 of 351 (14942 views)
Shortcut
and like Patty, I'm glad you spoke up! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the different styles here, even if we haven't always figured out what to make of them yet...on the older boards, a think a dominant style has developed, and a following that embraces it. The Hobbit Board is still sort of evolving, so it will be interesting to see how it goes. I admit I've stayed away from here a bit as I'm not big on the contentious and speculative stage of discussion, but seeing folks work through their differences here has been encouraging to see and made me more interested in contributing.

It's been interesting seeing all the different dwarf images and the way Jackson and company have packaged them to reveal very distinct personalities. In the books, other than the color of their hoods, it was hard to distinguish some of them, except for Thorin and Bombur, who stood out easily, and for the glimpses we get of the rest through Bilbo's relationship with them. I like that in the images we've seen so far, the dwarves are defined individuals, in appearance at least, and hopefully there will be enough time on screen for them to be developed at least in part as personalities as well.

Heck, if Jackson can give us 13 very different dwarves that can work together to achieve their quest, I think we can figure out how to discuss this film in a way that values and respects what each of us bring to this board, and without falling into the trap of feeling that any single way of looking at things is better than any other.

Weaver

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.