Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Balin and Dwalin Photo
First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Richie Rich
Rivendell

Jul 15 2011, 9:29pm

Post #251 of 351 (15885 views)
Shortcut
Group Photo (Yeah I realize I'm a little late to the party) [In reply to] Can't Post

I was hoping to get the hi-res version of the new fellas before I put this together, but it'll have to do for now: http://i55.tinypic.com/2jepy8p.jpg. Once I'm ambitious enough to add Mr. Baggins to the picture, I'll change the title, but right now it's all about the bearded fellows! I matched up all the backgrounds the best I could, and I did try to tame Kili's hair a bit.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 15 2011, 9:37pm

Post #252 of 351 (15764 views)
Shortcut
Not to be nitpicky... [In reply to] Can't Post

But Dori was the one who got stuck carrying Bilbo a lot, and even Bombur had to once.Tongue

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2011, 9:39pm

Post #253 of 351 (15656 views)
Shortcut
Really? I always confuse them. Thanks for the clarification! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Visit Mexico from A to Z! Index to the whole series here.
Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 9:42pm

Post #254 of 351 (15629 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great Job!Smile

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

TheWhiteRider
Bree

Jul 15 2011, 9:48pm

Post #255 of 351 (15619 views)
Shortcut
Its weird [In reply to] Can't Post

how different bifur and bofur look in the empire pic as compared to the promo image !

Dalgalad
The Shire

Jul 15 2011, 9:49pm

Post #256 of 351 (15679 views)
Shortcut
This one really brings out the colours.. [In reply to] Can't Post

and shows the similarity between the styling of Gloin and Gimli in LotR.

Great work

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jul 15 2011, 10:07pm

Post #257 of 351 (15614 views)
Shortcut
Can you imagine? [In reply to] Can't Post

if this group photo had been released as the first promotional image?

Very nicely combined! nice job.

rings7
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 10:16pm

Post #258 of 351 (15589 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's face looks young almost intact [In reply to] Can't Post

So get your comments ready for a young looking Thorin.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 15 2011, 10:17pm

Post #259 of 351 (15609 views)
Shortcut
Another awesome composition. For me, though, [In reply to] Can't Post

it does tend to make Kili stick out even more--NOT your fault.

I know I'm the only one, but I need to print out a picture and put their names on top. Kili, Bombur and Balin are the only only ones I don't have to think a few minutes, or look back into other posts about.

Permanent address: Into the West

Radagast_the_Brown
Rivendell

Jul 15 2011, 10:18pm

Post #260 of 351 (15599 views)
Shortcut
Group photo is fantastic [In reply to] Can't Post

and really makes you appreciate each individual Dwarf in comparison to each other. Balin especially stands out, and I imagine Thorin will too, which is for the best.

As for this ongoing purist debate... We have 13 Dwarves as written in the book with the same names and alot of the same traits while others have been expanded on their almost negligible descriptions and a total lack of illustration. I really think people need to use some perspective. As far as adapting goes, PJ is quite a remarkable purist. When I think of how both these movies and the LOTR series COULD have gone.... I'll take what I'm given. There are plenty of things I didn't like in the LOTR movies but in no instance was it because they didn't match my view of the books, rather because they didn't work for me on screen. As much pleasure as I glean from seeing certain things brought to life, that's really what concerns me.

All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you...

Muireadhaigh
Rivendell

Jul 15 2011, 10:28pm

Post #261 of 351 (15535 views)
Shortcut
I see what you mean [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Kili and Fili both look out of place.

duats
Grey Havens

Jul 15 2011, 10:31pm

Post #262 of 351 (15595 views)
Shortcut
As of now [In reply to] Can't Post

Here are my favorites in order:

1) Balin
2) Dwalin
3) Gloin
4) Oin
5) Bombur
6) Dori
7) Bifur
8) Bofur
9) Ori
10) Nori (NOTE: I like his look for the most part. But that hair drags him down a few points. If it looks better in context (i.e. isn't so perfectly shaped and wig-like), he may move up a few spots)
11) Fili
12) Kili (HATE HATE HATE HATE HAAAAATE)

(This post was edited by duats on Jul 15 2011, 10:37pm)

namarie
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 10:37pm

Post #263 of 351 (15548 views)
Shortcut
glad to see Balin is the white-haired one [In reply to] Can't Post

and that his costume is red :)

So, will be Thorin revealed over the weekend? Smile

There is always hope

Macfeast
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 10:42pm

Post #264 of 351 (15518 views)
Shortcut
I'm not so certain... [In reply to] Can't Post

Would Ori be carrying the Book of Mazarbul at the time of the Hobbit? I always had the impression that that book was specifically about the recolonization of Moria (Gandalf says that "It seems to be a record of the fortunes of Balin's folk"), and if so, why would Ori carry around an empty book during the Hobbit that he never writes in?

My guess is that the book will serve a similar purpose as the Book of Mazarbul; To keep a record on the quest that they are currently undertaking. It's meta-purpose will also be to establish a link between Ori and the Book of Mazarbul, make people go "oh, he's a book-worm, could he have been the one who wrote the Book we see in Moria during the Trilogy?"

As for a Moria-segment during an epilogue, I would love to see. Do we know how much of an epilogue/bridge to the Trilogy there will be, if any?

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Jul 15 2011, 10:43pm)

kore mo te kore

Jul 15 2011, 10:42pm

Post #265 of 351 (15499 views)
Shortcut
Looking good [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm happy, to varying degrees, with what we've seen so far. Only the two youngsters seemed slightly out of kilter, but that diminished with the group shot - they do fit in there!

Balin is almost exactly as I imagined him and alongside Bombur he's the closest match to how I always saw the group. Dwalin's hammer - damn, that's an evil thing! I can see how these guys will fight as a group. Dwalin smacking things up good and hard, if a little slowly given the weight of a great hammer, with the smaller weapons cutting faster to let him get at the big bad foes.

I smile!

namarie
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 10:44pm

Post #266 of 351 (15495 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for The Dwarves :) [In reply to] Can't Post

So, they did a good job establishing an identity for every dwarf.

Kili seems the only one a out of place though :)

There is always hope

kore mo te kore

Jul 15 2011, 10:52pm

Post #267 of 351 (15515 views)
Shortcut
Oh... dear. [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice work. My GODS Kili sticks out like a saw thumb.... pity.

duats
Grey Havens

Jul 15 2011, 10:59pm

Post #268 of 351 (15533 views)
Shortcut
Overall [In reply to] Can't Post

I am quite satisfied. Sure, there are some things I would have liked different, but right now I only genuinely dislike one of them (Kili). As much as I harp on Nori's hair, I really do like his design for the most part. The hair is just a stubborn nitpick. And while I probably won't ever fall in love with it, I'm hoping it looks better in the context of the film. I think the photoshop job can be blamed for the hair's unnaturally perfect shape (seriously, no stray hairs or anything).

Kili's appearance just put major pressure on Turner's performance and how the character was written. Because if he ends up being nothing more than comic relief and eye candy, then my face and palm are going to get well acquainted with one another by the end.

(This post was edited by duats on Jul 15 2011, 11:03pm)

Macfeast
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 11:01pm

Post #269 of 351 (15491 views)
Shortcut
My list is very similar [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Gloin
2. Balin
3. Dwalin
4. Oin
5. Dori
6. Bifur
7. Bombur
8. Bofur
9. Ori
10. Nori
11. Fili
12. Kili

That said, from 1 to 10, it is a really close list, it is really only Fili and Kili that I dislike (and Kili moreso than Fili). In my mind, they could have made those two distinguishable (which I'm fully in favour of) and handsome, while still maintaining the expected dwarven look; As it stands, I think they nailed two out of the three aspects they (probably) wanted to display with Fili and Kil; Distinguishable and handsome, but not dwarf-like enough.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Jul 15 2011, 11:02pm)

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 11:05pm

Post #270 of 351 (15442 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps you should ask "what has it got in its pocketses?"// [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

Jul 15 2011, 11:05pm

Post #271 of 351 (15482 views)
Shortcut
As of now, my favorites in order.. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Balin
2. Gloin
3. Bombur

The others I have to check who is who..Crazy Love the one in the burgundy coat

7.Bofur
8. Nori (I don't really mind the hairstyle)
9. Dwalin (looks too much like something out of the road warrior)
10. Fili (But really, he's okay)
11. The one with the metal in his head (Bifur?) I don't like that touch..
12. Kili ( I don't hate. But I don't like, either. I would definitely not have gone in this direction, but it is what it is, I guess.)

Please, please put some gray in Thorin's hair. Just to please Patty Cool

Permanent address: Into the West

(This post was edited by Patty on Jul 15 2011, 11:07pm)

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 11:15pm

Post #272 of 351 (15461 views)
Shortcut
My favorite/least favorite [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwalin and Bofur are definitely my favorites. Kili is my least favorite but i'm starting to get used to him and I'm less worried about him now that the others have been revealed. As someone pointed out, his performance is really gonna have to sell it. And if AT makes us fall in love with his character then I don't think I will have any complaints.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

bookgirl13
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 11:17pm

Post #273 of 351 (15528 views)
Shortcut
Looking at the high res photos [In reply to] Can't Post

It does not look that Thorin will have any grey hair. I think it is increasingly likely that Thorin and Kili will be very similar - tall and slender, with long dark hair. I hope that this works within the context of the whole film. As a set of isolated publicity shots, it appears a 'brave' move on the part of PJ.

Perhaps there is a Middle-earth equivalent of Grecian 2000 which would account for the unnaturally dark hair on a dwarf of mature (some would say over-mature) years Cool

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2011, 11:18pm

Post #274 of 351 (15430 views)
Shortcut
that's not an extra finger... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that's the pommel of his sword, i think.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 15 2011, 11:22pm

Post #275 of 351 (15445 views)
Shortcut
Mine's the general purist list... [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Gloin
2) Oin
3) Balin
4) Dori
5) Dwalin
6) Bifur
7) Ori
8) Bofur
9) Nori
10) Bombur
11) Fili
12) Kili

Nori would be higher if he didn't have a star for a head... All the costumes are incredible despite the lack of colour. Love Nori's belt

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.