Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Balin and Dwalin Photo
First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Patty
Immortal

Jul 15 2011, 7:14pm

Post #226 of 351 (17837 views)
Shortcut
Good job! Now, when Thorin comes out... [In reply to] Can't Post

we'll be watching for your final photoshop release.

Permanent address: Into the West

Coley
The Shire

Jul 15 2011, 7:15pm

Post #227 of 351 (17932 views)
Shortcut
here's a wallpaper I made [In reply to] Can't Post

using all of the dwarves so far. It isn't quite done yet (waiting on Thorin to complete the picture), but here's a look:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/200/dwarfwall.jpg

An unexpected journey unfolds...

December 2012

(This post was edited by Coley on Jul 15 2011, 7:16pm)

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 15 2011, 7:15pm

Post #228 of 351 (17823 views)
Shortcut
"Being" and "looking" can be two entirely different things. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know some very elderly looking 50-somethings, and some very young looking 70-somethings.

And even Balin, as old as he's supposed to be, needs to be hale and hearty enough to lead the expedition to Moria 50 years after the events in the Hobbit.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 15 2011, 7:17pm

Post #229 of 351 (17807 views)
Shortcut
I guess we'll find out. [In reply to] Can't Post

But so far I haven't been moderated. Evil

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Patty
Immortal

Jul 15 2011, 7:17pm

Post #230 of 351 (17806 views)
Shortcut
Which one? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only heard the BBC audio dramatization--I haven't heard any of the readings.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 15 2011, 7:19pm

Post #231 of 351 (17793 views)
Shortcut
So am I, as it happens... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and I suppose my feeling on the whole age thing is that, when it comes down to it, they were never going to be able to find a 195-year old dwarf to play the part. So the actor was always going to be much, much younger and arguing whether 60 plays 195 better than 40 does is a bit like arguing angels on pin heads. It's Thorin's demeanour that matters to me; his authority, his expectation of what is due to him and the essential tragedy of his position. I'm also hoping (and I will duck and run once I've said this Wink ) that they may be able to bring out a more nuanced character than is immediately obvious from the book - as they did, very successfully, I think, with Boromir. As a child I thought Thorin was proud, bossy, greedy and grumpy and very mean to Bilbo and I didn't like him. It took me years to see more to him than that, though now I understand that there is more if you look for it and I'm hoping (and expecting) they will bring that out. I say 'expecting' because I reckon this is partly what the choice of Richard Armitage is about.

Incidentally, looking at the Photoshopped version linked in this thread (sorry, can't remember who by) of all the dwarves together two things strike me. One is that I wonder if Balin is actually too old. Please don't throw turnips - it's just that we have to believe him capable of not only enduring the adventure itself, and fighting in the Battle, but of later deciding to take off the Moria and reclaim that for the dwarves....

Second thought is that none of the group stands out to my eye as the authority figure. If I didn't know who they were supposed to be, and someone said, 'which of these do you think is the king?' I wouldn't be sure and I wouldn't mind betting that faced with the same question we'd all pick different ones. So I wonder if Thorin will stand out visually as the leader - that will be interesting to see.

marillaraina
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 7:20pm

Post #232 of 351 (17818 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But Balin was described in detail as looking very old, and Thorin is described as being older than Balin, so we can make a very reasonable assumption that Thorin does indeed look old.

Imo we can also very reasonably assume that Balin looked very old, which IMO means he looked much older than anyone else, including Thorin, otherwise his "very old" looks would not have needed to be singled out. He singled out as looking very old like Bombur was singled out as very fat. To me that means no one looked close to being as old, in one case, or as fat, in the other, as they did.

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 7:22pm

Post #233 of 351 (17855 views)
Shortcut
In regards to Thorin's age and look [In reply to] Can't Post

We haven't seen a good closup of his face yet. A good detailed closeup could show us something completely different. Just because his hair is dark doesn't mean that his face might not have gone through a makeup process that makes it look older. Just keep that in mind.

Basically, what I'm saying is that we are really just comparing the hair of one to the other right now. And that's all we can compare. But Thorin's face might have a more worn, older look to it (much like John Howe's drawing of Thorin). I'm not saying that he will look older, I'm just saying it's possible so we really can't debate the old look yet.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

(This post was edited by redgiraffe on Jul 15 2011, 7:31pm)

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 7:25pm

Post #234 of 351 (18055 views)
Shortcut
High-Res photos (Unfortunantly Dwalin and Balin not included) [In reply to] Can't Post

I just found these photos in high-res! Enjoy:

Bilbo and Dwarves

Gandalf

More at: The Final Stage

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

Zherkezhi
Bree

Jul 15 2011, 7:32pm

Post #235 of 351 (17765 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much for these images! :)

elostirion74
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 7:32pm

Post #236 of 351 (17856 views)
Shortcut
definitely liked one of them [In reply to] Can't Post

I´m very satisfied with Balin, he looks old and dignified, as I hoped he would.

Dwalin is taller and larger than I would have expected of a dwarf, but apart from that he is ok with me.

esheming
Bree

Jul 15 2011, 8:07pm

Post #237 of 351 (17788 views)
Shortcut
Mines of Moria sequence? [In reply to] Can't Post

Seeing Balin makes me wonder if we'll get to see on-screen what happened to the Dwarves in the Mines of Moria. I don't see how it would naturally fit in with the narrative of The Hobbit, unfortunately, but has anyone noticed that Ori is holding a book? Could it be the Book of Mazarbul?? I always assumed that was Ori's little skeleton that was holding the Book in the 'Fellowship' film. Is it Oin who gets dragged away by the Watcher? This could even be its own short film ~ maybe WETA could film this story for home video 'after' the Hobbit films have both released...

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 15 2011, 8:08pm

Post #238 of 351 (17673 views)
Shortcut
The unabridged narated by Rob Inglis. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have owned if for years. iused to listen to it and The Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion when I had a longer commute. Now mostly at night. I also hace all of the Harry Potter books narrated by Jim Dale on CD and quite a few Terry Pratchett books on Cd. They are like movies in the mind. But they do put you to sleep. It takes a long time to hear all of the book at night.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Richie Rich
Rivendell

Jul 15 2011, 8:08pm

Post #239 of 351 (17679 views)
Shortcut
Heeeeeeey [In reply to] Can't Post

They used the group photo I made, HaHa. Thieves!

Patty
Immortal

Jul 15 2011, 8:11pm

Post #240 of 351 (17688 views)
Shortcut
See, that's the version I need to get... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the dramatization, but so much is missing, and I need to know the particulars in order to be able to know what to expect (or notWink) in the movies. It must be 20 years or more since I've read The Hobbit.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2011, 8:20pm

Post #241 of 351 (17718 views)
Shortcut
'Retirement age' is a low estimate [In reply to] Can't Post

If we're trying to guess what Thorin should look like by human standards using only Man/Dwarf age equivalents as a reference, then yes, it might be fair to say he should resemble a man in late middle age. However, that conclusion neglects the fact that Thorin has walked Middle-earth for 195 years at the time the Quest of Erebor takes place, 171 of which he spent in exile. The sheer quantity of time he's spent merely existing and contemplating the reclamation of his kingdom (with a few vicious battles sprinkled in for good measure) should ensure that he looks very haggard and weary – significantly more so than a typical Dwarf of his age. And actor in his sixties sounds more like it to me.

Snulle
Bree

Jul 15 2011, 8:23pm

Post #242 of 351 (17618 views)
Shortcut
Tricksy thieves! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those nasssssssty thieves, we hatessssss it forever! ...Angelic

DrDeath153
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 8:26pm

Post #243 of 351 (17679 views)
Shortcut
That's one solace i have with Armitage as opposed to say Brian Cox [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin is very like Agamemnon in many ways, their age, their attitude to physical objects denied to them, and so when the Brian Cox rumours were going around i was very worried that they might make for a rather simplistic antagonistic Thorin, a greedy, petty, physically powerful but rather thick old man who is outsmarted by plucky young Bilbo. This wasn't how Thorin appeared to me when i read The Hobbit aged 12 but i could see how easy it would be for him to go that way. The choice of Richard Armitage though promises that Thorin will be portrayed rather tragically, even if it means that the underlying motivations for his tragedy (being an old king facing the possibility of dying ignominiously of old age without fulfilling his duty to his people or producing an heir to inherit it) is altered. It's an arc which is closer to Theoden's (particularly the film's version) than it is to Aragorn or Boromir's in terms of tone and i hope not all of it will be worn away, even given the younger actor, but in terms of the level of empathy Richard Armitage's Thorin will invoke i think the kind of ageism inherent in hollywood will actually help him out.

Dr Death

Radagast_the_Brown
Rivendell

Jul 15 2011, 8:26pm

Post #244 of 351 (17695 views)
Shortcut
Dwalin [In reply to] Can't Post

Is the best one yet. Can't wait to see him wield that hammer in battle!

All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you...

DrDeath153
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 8:30pm

Post #245 of 351 (17640 views)
Shortcut
I completely agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't worry- i'm not selling out on Thorin. In terms of aesthetics Richard Armitage certainly isn't my Thorin (i'm planning of doing a portrait, nay even a life-sized sculpted bust of Ian McShane done up as Thorin), but my smoking gun regrettably wasn't there. I'm also looking through Ian McShane's back catalogue for a possible vocal track of Thorin's dialogue- just in caseTongue. I wonder if i could get a letter through to him how much he'd charge for a 'dictaphone' performance of Thorin's lines.....

Dr Death

Dipling
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 8:35pm

Post #246 of 351 (17597 views)
Shortcut
Kili [In reply to] Can't Post

Kili has too many fingers: http://cinemania.es/app/webroot/images/2011/julio/hobbit_enanos_hd/fili_kili.jpg

Patty
Immortal

Jul 15 2011, 8:37pm

Post #247 of 351 (17616 views)
Shortcut
Maybe if you stuck Bombar's groupshot... [In reply to] Can't Post

before the first group you could bring them closer together? Or it may be that your current picture will be best to stick Thorin in the middle. Or Gandalf, to show the respective size? Either way, I love how you put the movie title in. This is my new wallpaper. Thanks!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2011, 8:39pm

Post #248 of 351 (17649 views)
Shortcut
True enough... [In reply to] Can't Post

He probably ended up with an immortality complex. Tongue

I would rather be watching Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" and Ridley Scott's "Prometheus"...it's going to be a long few years.

Buchanicus
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 8:40pm

Post #249 of 351 (17637 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the links! Those are perfect.

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

Coley
The Shire

Jul 15 2011, 9:10pm

Post #250 of 351 (17598 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

And you hit the nail on the head, the idea from the beginning was to put Thorin in the middle. He is the leader after all! Cool

An unexpected journey unfolds...

December 2012

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.