Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Balin and Dwalin Photo
First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

bookgirl13
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 5:55pm

Post #201 of 351 (18454 views)
Shortcut
Yes, they appear to look alike [In reply to] Can't Post

From the very blurry shot that we saw in Empire Magazine.

Phibbus
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 5:57pm

Post #202 of 351 (18446 views)
Shortcut
Good point... [In reply to] Can't Post

and one I was going to raise earlier. I think Balin's costume is not so much actually Oriental as it is Orientalizing. It reflects that 19th-century rage for all things Eastern and exotic... which ideas were usually reinterpreted into something far less authentic than impressionistic and fanciful.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 15 2011, 5:59pm

Post #203 of 351 (18526 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Pipe dream... [In reply to] Can't Post

we can always count on you!

Permanent address: Into the West

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 6:03pm

Post #204 of 351 (18490 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Balin's costume seems to have that sort of Eastern or Asian feel to it. It just looks like it's got that "eastern" influence. Strange thing too is that I remember the theme for Lothlorien having a big eastern (i think it was specifically Indian) type of influence. If you go back and listen to where the fellowship enters the forest before they meet with the elves you can hear what sounds kind of like an esraj.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

(This post was edited by redgiraffe on Jul 15 2011, 6:05pm)

Gimli1252
Bree

Jul 15 2011, 6:21pm

Post #205 of 351 (18453 views)
Shortcut
high res for balin and dwalin...????anybody...??? [In reply to] Can't Post

''There is one dwarf yet in Moria, who still draws breath''

Patty
Immortal

Jul 15 2011, 6:23pm

Post #206 of 351 (18396 views)
Shortcut
It's been a while since I read the book... [In reply to] Can't Post

was Balin older than Thorin? If not, shouldn't we logically be able to assume RA should look older? But I doubt he will.

Age is good. Or at least, it beats the alternative.Angelic

marillaraina
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 6:25pm

Post #207 of 351 (18364 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Well, Ken Scott playing Balin is only 5'7, so he's pretty much the shortest dwarf, which makes Graham McTavish (Dwaling) look taller, because he's over 6ft, yet shorter than Richard Armitage (Thorin).

The dwarves probably have roughly the actors height differences. McTavish is tall, Scott is fairly small-ish so put them next to each other and it looks like a "tall dwarf" when really, it's a short dwarf standing next to a shorter dwarf, in the wider outlook. So we can assume that Dean O'Gorman is a bit shorter than Aidan Turner, thus Kili looks "tall" because he's taller than Fili but I'm sure he's going to look plenty short when put into context. LOL McTavish is over 6 ft., Turner is 6ft, Armitage is supposed to be around 6 ft 2 though I've always wondered if he's a bit taller, maybe he's just been lucky enough to work with a lot of short actors that makes him look bigger. LOL

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 15 2011, 6:26pm

Post #208 of 351 (18400 views)
Shortcut
Thorin was the oldest.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Buchanicus
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 6:31pm

Post #209 of 351 (18355 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

As a paid-up member of the "cheery brigade", I may be a minority of one, but I just don't have the energy to get involved in the kind of aggressive point-scoring that seems to pass for discussion a lot of the time on this board.

I concur.

The main thing that bothers me is when people post in "absolutes". That their strong-opinions are fact, and depending on whether or not you agree or disagree places you into this group or that. It drives me crazy, and it is always something that can be allieviated by including "in my opinion..." or "My thoughts are..." or "For my tastes...".

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2011, 6:32pm

Post #210 of 351 (18390 views)
Shortcut
Looking good again... [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems as predicted on the boards, Balin will be the "elder statesman" and experianced Dwarf Lord of the group, while Dwalin will be the "ultimate warrior".

BTW, Balin has doubts about retaking the Lonely Mountain, but going back to Moria seems like a fantastic idea?!

Probably the success of Thorin & CO. dispatching with Smaug will change Balin's mind...for the worse, obviously...

I would rather be watching Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" and Ridley Scott's "Prometheus"...it's going to be a long few years.

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jul 15 2011, 6:33pm)

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Post #211 of 351 (18431 views)
Shortcut
In the LOTR Appendices... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin is described as being older than Balin. Since Balin was described in the Hobbit as (and I paraphrase) very old, with a snow white beard tucked in his belt, it is safe and reasonable to assume that Thorin looked either older than Balin, or at least looked quite old. So, if they go with a young Thorin, it will not be consistent with the Thorin described in Tolkien's universe.

Buchanicus
Lorien

Post #212 of 351 (18400 views)
Shortcut
Definitely. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

We all need to learn to express ourselves without demanding that everyone else agree with us, and without sneering and looking down our noses at those who disagree.

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 15 2011, 6:38pm

Post #213 of 351 (18340 views)
Shortcut
Ah, thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know it's past time for me to re-read the books, but my sleeping patterns stay so out of whack that I'm usually too sleepy to do much good reading anymore and concentrate--that's why I listen to audiobooks mostly.

I'm glad Balin looks as old as he does, then, but it will be a little off to see RA looking so much younger than Balin. I assume he is the second eldest?

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2011, 6:39pm

Post #214 of 351 (18415 views)
Shortcut
thorin and kili, dut frome the same jib? [In reply to] Can't Post

you may be right-- i hadn't looked at the bag-end photos in a week or so and was going from memory. what thorin seems to have going for him is maybe his hair and beard(kinda hard to tell from that photo though), but his nose looks a little too human, which is my main problem with kili (along with that wind-blown, beautiful, lustrous hair).

it's just that kili is such obvious chick bait, and thorin (from the admittedly blurry photo) seems to be heading into classic leading man territory, which makes more sense to me. just as long as he's not *too* pretty.

i guess we'll know soon enough.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 15 2011, 6:48pm

Post #215 of 351 (18314 views)
Shortcut
I am in the middle of the Audio-book of The Hobbit now. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the production was worried that the general population would not buy an older looking Thorin. I keep thinking: But he is a Tolkien Dwarf his hair color does not matter.Evil

Photobucket

chrismortega
Bree

Jul 15 2011, 6:49pm

Post #216 of 351 (18554 views)
Shortcut
Better photoshopped image of all the dwarves + bilbo and gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

http://i.imgur.com/VOc7X.jpg

"It was deliberate, it was deliberate..."

Phibbus
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 6:49pm

Post #217 of 351 (18328 views)
Shortcut
Laugh! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
BTW, Balin has doubts about retaking the Lonely Mountain, but going back to Moria seems like a fantastic idea?!

Probably the success of Thorin & CO. dispatching with Smaug will change Balin's mind...for the worse, obviously...

Dwarves are prone to the vagaries of inductive reasoning. You get spoiled when your troupe all narrowly escape annihilation a dozen times during the course of one book.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 15 2011, 6:57pm

Post #218 of 351 (18323 views)
Shortcut
Balin is a Dwarf [In reply to] Can't Post

don't let his appearance fool you.

Photobucket

DrDeath153
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 7:01pm

Post #219 of 351 (18355 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but it's still only a hint [In reply to] Can't Post

Trust me, i would love the smoking gun to be there, but in terms of Thorin's own descriptions there is no explicit reference either to him looking 'old' nor the colour of his beard. What the books don't say obviously is about as tenuous a justification you can get, but much to my personal chagrin the active reference to Thorin's appearance in that regard doesn't exist. That said i shall provide the hints i did find:

Not without a mighty warrior, even a Hero. I tried to find one; but warriors are busy fighting one another in distant lands

'Don't dip your beard in the foam, father!' They cried to Thorin who was bent almost onto his hands and knees. 'It is long enough without watering it.'

It was so dark he could only just see Thorin's beard wagging beside him

You would have laughed (from a safe distance), if you had seen the dwarves sitting up in the trees with their beards hanging down like old gentlemen gone cracked and playing at being boys

'Twelve yards! I should have thought it thirty at least, but my eyes don't see as well as they used a hundred years ago'

Balin assumes the role of spokesman for the company when they're questioned by Thranduil on the grounds that he was 'the eldest left'.

Though he had hunted chiefly for the Arkenstone, yet he had an eye for many another wonderful thing that was lying there, about which were wound old memories of the labours and sorrows of his race

Dain was still King Under the Mountain, and was now old (having passed his two hundred and fiftieth year)

Thror is described as 'old, poor and desperate' when he gave Thrain his ring. When he asks if he was returning to Erebor he declares 'not at my age'. Tolkien doesn't specify exactly when Thror went off wandering but he dies aged 248 and he escaped from Erebor only twenty years earlier meaning that he must be at least 228 when he surrendered his ring. There is therefore a point in the span of twenty years within which he was young enough to escape with a dragon at his tail but unable to travel the distance to Erebor (or at least travel there and fight, although surely he didn't intend to do the latter alone).
Dain is interesting- he's described as a 'stripling' at 32 when he fights at Azanulbizar, but at 252 in the War of the Ring, Gandalf remarks of his death it was "a wonder that in his great age he could still wield his axe as mightily as they say". Thorin at 195 therefore is not quite 'ancient' but the evidence suggests he's past his best. He is described as 'a great dwarf of proud bearing' at 95 which to me suggest that that is when he would be in his prime- mid thirties to mid forties by modern standards, more likely towards the younger end since the context suggests 95 is still pretty young. By the time he reached 195 however i'm pretty sure the common estimate of Thorin being in his late middle-age/retirement age stands.

Dr Death

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 15 2011, 7:01pm

Post #220 of 351 (18260 views)
Shortcut
Maybe its living undre Dain's rule that sends him off to regain his true kingdom. [In reply to] Can't Post

Durin's empire. The Dwarrowdelf.

Photobucket

Dipling
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 7:03pm

Post #221 of 351 (18301 views)
Shortcut
Kili [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello.
Whats up with Kilis fingers?
Look at his hand.

http://cinemania.es/app/webroot/images/2011/julio/hobbit_enanos_hd/fili_kili.jpg

Bad photoshop.

(This post was edited by Dipling on Jul 15 2011, 7:05pm)

bookgirl13
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 7:03pm

Post #222 of 351 (18297 views)
Shortcut
Putting them into context makes a difference [In reply to] Can't Post

Seeing them with a giant Gandalf in the background, makes them all immediately seem dwarf-like, some more so than others. But it is more difficult to see them as miniature men or elves when they are so small compared with other races.

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 7:07pm

Post #223 of 351 (18317 views)
Shortcut
Its good [In reply to] Can't Post

but Gandalf looks like he grew a few feetLaugh. Yes I know the dwarves are smaller than humans and wizards but still....LaughLaugh

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 7:09pm

Post #224 of 351 (18328 views)
Shortcut
Right.. [In reply to] Can't Post

But Balin was described in detail as looking very old, and Thorin is described as being older than Balin, so we can make a very reasonable assumption that Thorin does indeed look old.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 15 2011, 7:12pm

Post #225 of 351 (18219 views)
Shortcut
I think it's something entirely different... [In reply to] Can't Post

NARF
NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.