Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Balin and Dwalin Photo
First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 15 2011, 5:06pm

Post #176 of 351 (18109 views)
Shortcut
As Mickey says: [In reply to] Can't Post

Its a small world after all...yah sure.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Aelarion
The Shire

Jul 15 2011, 5:06pm

Post #177 of 351 (18122 views)
Shortcut
Bravo... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this is an excellent post explaining how someone can be a die-hard Tolkien fan AND not mind the (obvious) changes being made in the films.

I would like to add one more point.

Some people cannot (or will not) back up their ideas with quotes from the text. Part of the reason may be that they simply don't see the need, as ShireHorse says. As long as the spirit of the book is intact, they will be pleased. However, let me also point out that for some people, the movies are their only exposure to Middle-Earth. This is not because they are too lazy to read, or anything like that. My sister, for example, has a reading disability and could never make it all the way through Lord of the Rings. It would frustrate her and take away from her enjoyment. So I was thrilled when she sat down and watched the movies with me for the first time. They allowed her access to a world that she otherwise would have written off as inaccessible. Is her experience the same as mine? No, of course not. But we are able to find common ground and enjoy Middle-Earth together.

There is a tendency to mock or disregard people who are fans of the movies first -- who read the books after seeing the films or haven't read the books at all. I don't think that is fair. We should be welcoming everyone and all opinions... doing so will only enhance our own appreciation of Tolkien's works.

"Such is of the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere."

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 15 2011, 5:07pm

Post #178 of 351 (18068 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just that "that's how he wants it" (or "that's how he wrote it") doesn't leave room for a lot of conversation. And we have to talk about something for the next 18 months. Laugh

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2011, 5:07pm

Post #179 of 351 (18138 views)
Shortcut
You have a very healthy attitude! [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're anything like me and feel uncomfortable with open conflicts, I can see why you would like to stay out of the pot.

I like the books more than any other books, and I respect and idolize Tolkien as a private person. I'm passionately "purist" about the books and can go on and on about them and all the details and nuances for hours if allowed... Blush

But the movies are just fun. I don't take them too seriously or want to put a collar on the producers to force them work inside my comfortability zone. I want the movie makers to bring together all their creative madness and make us some entertaining films that possibly lure more people into reading Tolkien. Smile

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 15 2011, 5:10pm

Post #180 of 351 (18109 views)
Shortcut
Yes, indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We should be welcoming everyone and all opinions... doing so will only enhance our own appreciation of Tolkien's works.

Absolutely!

By the way, does your sister care for audiobooks at all? I wholeheartedly recommend the audiobooks narrated by Rob Inglis, of both The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. It's the complete text, not an adaptation, and it would allow her to experience the books without the frustration of trying to read them.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Aelarion
The Shire

Jul 15 2011, 5:14pm

Post #181 of 351 (18079 views)
Shortcut
Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

It's certainly an option, and one that we used when she was still in school.

The wonderful thing, however, is that all of these movies like LotR, Harry Potter and even Twilight (ugh), have finally awakened a love of reading in her. It takes her a while to get through a whole book, but she can do it now and actually enjoy it. This is a huge step from even 5 years ago, when reading was absolute torture for her.

Most of us take reading for granted; for some people, it's a skill that needs a lot of practice and training (almost like exercise).

"Such is of the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere."

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 5:14pm

Post #182 of 351 (18133 views)
Shortcut
Ooh! Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

They look pretty awesome! Smile NNow we need Thorin!

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 15 2011, 5:19pm

Post #183 of 351 (18158 views)
Shortcut
P-s-s-t: [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you say artsy-fartsy here?

Photobucket

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jul 15 2011, 5:20pm

Post #184 of 351 (18145 views)
Shortcut
13 minus 1. [In reply to] Can't Post

Click image to enlarge

If anyone wants to host the full size image (3417 X 972) @ 581KB JPG, PM me your email and I'll send it.

P.S. keep in mind this is still "low res" Balin and Dwalin

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

(This post was edited by Pipe Dream on Jul 15 2011, 5:22pm)

rings7
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 5:20pm

Post #185 of 351 (18080 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you don't take them that seriously [In reply to] Can't Post

i still remember one of my teachers ripping Kenneth Branagh apart when he did Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I was like geez lady calm down it's just movie!Sly

(This post was edited by rings7 on Jul 15 2011, 5:21pm)

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 15 2011, 5:23pm

Post #186 of 351 (18080 views)
Shortcut
Well, I've been a voracious reader my whole life. [In reply to] Can't Post

My mom claims that I came home from the first day of kindergarten miffed that they hadn't taught me to read that day. Crazy

But even though I love to read, I still adore audiobooks, and I listen to them all the time. I'm currently listening to an incredible audiobook adaptation of The Return of Sherlock Holmes, performed by the incomparable Sir Derek Jacobi.

One of the things I particularly enjoyed about the Inglis Hobbit and LOTR was his performance of the poetry and songs. I hate reading poetry, but I love listening to it, and it added immeasurably to my appreciation of Tolkien to hear the poetry recited and the songs actually sung to tunes.

Aelarion
The Shire

Jul 15 2011, 5:25pm

Post #187 of 351 (18041 views)
Shortcut
Right! [In reply to] Can't Post

Besides which, Branagh redeemed himself for all past and future gaffes when he made Hamlet. (Sorry, I just love his version too much!)

If the movies are fun and follow the story reasonably well, I will be pleased as punch! (I do still have my doubts about adding any female elf/love story angle).

TheWhiteRider
Bree

Jul 15 2011, 5:26pm

Post #188 of 351 (18152 views)
Shortcut
Balin's axe [In reply to] Can't Post

I am pretty disappointed that Balin doesn't have the axe which Gimli picked up in FOTR film !!

Garfeimao
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 5:29pm

Post #189 of 351 (18033 views)
Shortcut
Father Christmas, indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw that right off with Balin, which is somewhat fitting in that he's the one that really befriends Bilbo on the quest and is the most sage in advice.

Dwalin is just going to be one mean tiger in battle, to be sure, but Fili and Kili look they are ready to rumble as well.

On the whole, I think we've got a little bit of everything in this group, which is as it should be.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

Aelarion
The Shire

Jul 15 2011, 5:29pm

Post #190 of 351 (18059 views)
Shortcut
Ooh! [In reply to] Can't Post

Holmes read by Derek Jacobi sounds amazing!! I have to admit, I've never listened to an audiobook, but now you've piqued my interest.

My friend has also been enjoying George Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire on audiobook, so the medium seems to be gaining a lot of popularity.

/end of off-topic stuffs

Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 5:30pm

Post #191 of 351 (18109 views)
Shortcut
Balin in a fight? [In reply to] Can't Post

It dosen't seem possible that an old dwarf like Balin could survive a skirmish with goblins. Can he lift his own axe? Wink

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

bookgirl13
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 5:31pm

Post #192 of 351 (18082 views)
Shortcut
The Tolkien Ensemble [In reply to] Can't Post

They have recorded all the songs and poetry in LotR. You can hear some if their stuff on You Tube. Listening to their rendition of Tom Bombadil's was a revelation. Colin Rudd has done some good versions as well.

It made a huge difference to me being able listen to the poetry being sung.

DrDeath153
Lorien

Post #193 of 351 (18073 views)
Shortcut
Don't be [In reply to] Can't Post

It's Durin's. I've done the research and according to the book to film canon, Balin only gets that axe which is later picked up by Gimli once he's settled himself as Lord of Moria.

Dr Death

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Post #194 of 351 (18027 views)
Shortcut
That was a birth mark on Gorbie.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 5:32pm

Post #195 of 351 (18026 views)
Shortcut
Not as bad as you think! [In reply to] Can't Post

This pic serves as a good guide to see all the dwarves together (without Thorin). Thank you!

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 15 2011, 5:36pm

Post #196 of 351 (18116 views)
Shortcut
I think Kili & Thorin are cut from the same jib. [In reply to] Can't Post

How can you like one and not the other?

Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 15 2011, 5:38pm

Post #197 of 351 (17989 views)
Shortcut
Not bad [In reply to] Can't Post

Lay a little transparent gray on the Hobbit and you've got it.

Photobucket

Garfeimao
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 5:40pm

Post #198 of 351 (18021 views)
Shortcut
Oriental stretches from the Middle-east to Asia [In reply to] Can't Post

In ancient times through the Colonial Era, there was the Near East (Turkey, being the border between East and West, the Ottoman Empire), then you had the Middle East (Iran and Iraq and Arabia, the Persian Empire) and then you had the Far East (India, China, Korea and Japan, and both the Mongolian Empire and the Chinese Empire), and all were linked by various trade routes, both by ship and via the Silk Road. So fashions and fabrics and foods travelled far and wide in the ancient world, so that a look that would seem indicative of one culture can be seen in far off countries. During the Regency period in England, it was all the rage to wear Indian and Chinese silks and decorate your home in that manner.

So those robes Balin is wearing do have a distinct Persian feel to them, very similar to what Boromir was wearing in fact, and yet, they could also very easily be Russian in influence, which also happens to share a border with China.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

TheWhiteRider
Bree

Jul 15 2011, 5:45pm

Post #199 of 351 (18049 views)
Shortcut
Oh I see !! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hats off to you and your research Smile

DrDeath153
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 5:55pm

Post #200 of 351 (18024 views)
Shortcut
'You're full of surprises Master Baggins' [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, we do have a fair bit of common ground- i'm not quite the crotchety sod i frequently appear to be. In terms of Thorin, from the empire pics i've actually got reason to be civil about Richard Armitage- not so much optimistic but he does appear to have 'gone through the dwarfing process' with an expanded head, more of a beard than Kili (designer stubble really is the death of claims of dwarvishness for me) and a fairly 'hench' build. He might not be my Thorin, but hey i have my contingency plan sorted (not only will i be able to picture my preferred Ian McShane in the role but he's also going to be playing the leader of another company of dwarves in Snow White). To be honest i feel very guilty about hating Richard Armitage so much as Thorin, god help the man if he ever read my posts- i'd be sat there thinking 'the poor muppet'. But like his casting, i've now become rather resigned to the inadequacies of his look so you could say 'the only way is up' (to which i might reply 'just when you think you've hit the bottom somebody hands you a shovel'). Who knows, if he looks good but not quite my Thorin i might relegate him to one of the other unsatisfactory dwarf visuals rather than bumping him out of my mental Middle-earth altogether (then again he does have the look of a fairly cracking Caranthir- Aquiline Armitage rides again Tongue) and his performance may yet impress. It's all up in the air, but i shall judge him fairly and objectively.

It's interesting that you mention the 'spirit' of the character of Thorin too. Because a couple of days ago i went for a skim read of every source that might possibly describe him. I poured through The Hobbit, LotR's appendicies, Unfinished Tales, Tolkien's letters, even the 1960 Hobbit rewrite and i'm rather ashamed to say there wasn't one bloody usage of the word 'old' in regards to him- not even 'greybeard' (that term i found referring to the men of Laketown). Balin is 'old', even Bombur is 'old' (and not just 'poor old', in fact i think there are more usages for Bombur being 'old' than there are for Balin). So i must conclude that it is a part of the unquantifiable 'spirit' of Thorin that makes him old in so many people's minds- along with a few hints- he's the only dwarf referred to as 'father' by the elves, he makes clear his eyesight's failing (then again he shoots the deer with remarkable reflexes and precision for one so enfeebled) and Tolkien describes all the dwarves up the trees 'with their beards hanging down like old gentlemen gone cracked and playing at being boys'. The wagging beard of Thorin visible in the pitch black also suggests it's well on it's way to white. There's more but i think that'll suffice to batter my unassailable conviction of Thorin's old age into submission as being based merely on hints rather than explicit words. Angelic

Dr Death

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.