Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Balin and Dwalin Photo
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Aelarion
The Shire

Jul 15 2011, 4:15pm

Post #151 of 351 (17575 views)
Shortcut
Wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

Quite impressed with all the dwarf photos so far! It's definitely a challenge to distinguish them all as individuals, and I think the costuming and hair so far has done a good job. Now it's up to the actors, and I think that this group is up to the task.

Yes, Kili was a bit of a shock, but I don't think having one pretty dwarf is a deal breaker. I also get the distinct feeling that the dwarves in the movie will look a lot grungier and more realistic than these Photoshopped glamour shots.

Can't WAIT to see Thorin!

PS: I used to be a member on these boards years ago, but I forgot my name and password, so new account! Nice to be back!

"Such is of the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere."

JJ Moon
The Shire

Jul 15 2011, 4:17pm

Post #152 of 351 (17450 views)
Shortcut
Ventura [In reply to] Can't Post

Not really picking on him, but he has gone off the deep end with his conspiracy theories.

Dwalin really does look like the "Gov" though.

And, I live in Eagan, but from Brainerd originally. You betcha!

Jessie Ventura, as Dwalin

droidsocket
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 4:18pm

Post #153 of 351 (17454 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back!! [In reply to] Can't Post

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jul 15 2011, 4:18pm

Post #154 of 351 (17453 views)
Shortcut
And thank *you* [In reply to] Can't Post

for your thoughtful response! I agree that it's hard to avoid making generalisations - but I do think we have to try not to generalise about people (at least, people who are listening Tongue), if only because people, by and large, don't like being generalised about! Everyone thinks their own opinion is unique and nuanced, and objects to every label, no matter how impersonally meant, because labels tend to reduce every opinion to some lowest common denominator. Of course, sometimes you just have no choice but to generalise, but I think with a little thought it's often possible to make one's arguments more objectively, in terms of the topic in hand (The Hobbit in this case), rather than by trying to address the generalised (and therefore often trivialised) comments of others.

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

chrismortega
Bree

Jul 15 2011, 4:24pm

Post #155 of 351 (17457 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will definitely update it when Thorin is released.

"It was deliberate, it was deliberate..."

Aelarion
The Shire

Jul 15 2011, 4:28pm

Post #156 of 351 (17439 views)
Shortcut
:D [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you kindly!

Somewhat upsetting to see people arguing, but I guess it's to be expected. People have such an emotional attachment to these books...

I've always felt that it didn't matter if PJ's vision for the movies differed from my own... because I like to see how others interpret such a great piece of literature. If you like or agree with his vision, it doesn't make you any less of a fan than the most staunch purist. It doesn't mean that you value the books less, or any such nonsense.

So let's all just get along and enjoy the excitement that these movies are generating!! -is a hopeless idealist-

"Such is of the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere."

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 4:30pm

Post #157 of 351 (17503 views)
Shortcut
I noticed that too, droidsocket [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it's like the uruk-hai beserker weapon where it has a spike like thing in both directions, only more of a dwarvin design.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

RoseCotton
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 4:31pm

Post #158 of 351 (17552 views)
Shortcut
Seeing them lined up like that... [In reply to] Can't Post

... really brings it home how large a group 13+1 is!

Numerically, it doesn't sound like 13+1 is all that much bigger than nine, but, somehow, the Fellowship never seemed like anything like so many as this group seems (and they're still one dwarf down -- plus a wizard on occasions).

rings7
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 4:33pm

Post #159 of 351 (17452 views)
Shortcut
I was waiting for that so thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm fairly pleased with both. I just wish i could see a pic of all of them, (once Thorin is out) with the actors' face pics next to each cause i keep forgetting who's who. Except for Kili for obvious reasons.

The dwarfs overall have been a plus for me, so much diversity, uniqueness which is something i wasn't expecting. Deep inside my guts i was expecting 13 Gimlis.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 15 2011, 4:34pm

Post #160 of 351 (17461 views)
Shortcut
HAY! [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 15 2011, 4:36pm

Post #161 of 351 (17451 views)
Shortcut
A question... [In reply to] Can't Post

It appears that this does not apply to one T. Oakenshield. Any good reason why? He is the oldest of the thirteen.

Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Jul 15 2011, 4:37pm)

Aelarion
The Shire

Jul 15 2011, 4:40pm

Post #162 of 351 (17456 views)
Shortcut
Um? [In reply to] Can't Post

He drank plenty of milk and avoided dwarven osteoporosis??

-is imagining those Got Milk? ads with the 13 dwarves and dieing in laughter-

chrismortega
Bree

Jul 15 2011, 4:41pm

Post #163 of 351 (17472 views)
Shortcut
13 Gimlis! [In reply to] Can't Post

Deep inside my guts i was expecting 13 Gimlis.

Haha, so was I. This is why I am not a filmmaker. Great image though... I love Gimli.

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 4:42pm

Post #164 of 351 (17423 views)
Shortcut
Creative license [In reply to] Can't Post

It's clearly been decided by the filmmakers that a Thorin in his prime works best for the film, instead on an ancient Thorin, so they've decided to change things a bit. I can understand why.

* crunch *

bookgirl13
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 4:43pm

Post #165 of 351 (17410 views)
Shortcut
Maybe he was so tall to begin with... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that even when old age has caused him to shrink, he is still taller than anyone else around. Visiting Treebeard in his exile

Do you think Merry and Pippin are going to be smaller than many other hobbits when they're eleventy-one?

In Reply To
It appears that this does not apply to one T. Oakenshield. Any good reason why? He is the oldest of the thirteen.

(This post was edited by bookgirl13 on Jul 15 2011, 4:52pm)

rings7
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 4:44pm

Post #166 of 351 (17454 views)
Shortcut
Honestly, i feel like an 'outcast' sometimes [In reply to] Can't Post

in these boards cause i don't usually join in the arguments. I love the book, but i'm not those who want to see page by page reflected in the movies. Of any book. And it's ok if it's not how i imagine it. The movie is based on the book, not the book itself being shown in a screen. So the least thing we should expect are changes when it's adapted. So why they do this, and why they do that if in the book is different? Well, because that's what happens with adaptations.

chrismortega
Bree

Jul 15 2011, 4:45pm

Post #167 of 351 (17404 views)
Shortcut
It's a party [In reply to] Can't Post

I keep forgetting that there were nine in the Fellowship... you're right - it didn't seem like a lot. But 13 dwarves plus Gandalf plus Bilbo is gonna be a lot of dudes on the screen!

EDIT: to clarify, I keep forgetting that nine is a lot of dudes. And there were nine in the fellowship, so it should have looked like a lot of dudes. The fact that there were nine in the fellowship is so ingrained in my brain I couldn't forget it if I tried...

(This post was edited by chrismortega on Jul 15 2011, 4:48pm)

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 15 2011, 4:48pm

Post #168 of 351 (17426 views)
Shortcut
Don't feel like an outcast. [In reply to] Can't Post

And jump right into the discussions.

Most posters (even us purists) understand that an adaptation requires certain things to be changed and adjusted. I don't know of anyone who is demanding a page-by-page reiteration of the book.

The discussions simply spring from our individual views of how far we'd like that adaptation to go. Or not.

As long as nobody is implying that everyone else is an idiot for thinking differently, there is room for everyone to express an opinion.

Even you! Smile

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2011, 4:50pm

Post #169 of 351 (17436 views)
Shortcut
So.... many..... Dwarves..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd want to see this gang take over a bar. Or a restaurant. Or someone's house.

..... wait.

Thank's for the photoshop! Smile

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

Aelarion
The Shire

Jul 15 2011, 4:51pm

Post #170 of 351 (17391 views)
Shortcut
Hehe! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I really cannot wait to see Bilbo's face when this group comes barging into his house, demanding beer and cakes and whatnot! It should be priceless!

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 4:54pm

Post #171 of 351 (17379 views)
Shortcut
Surprisingly, I think we have common ground, Dr D, [In reply to] Can't Post

and this is what we should be looking for. Thank you for all the recent posts explaining how you feel and these are the areas where I hope we could come together:

1) You welcome the term "purist" rather than being offended by it

2) You are not a diehard purist because you don't reject films merely because they don't adhere strictly to the books

3) You think it might be best to adapt or ignore some of Tolkien's details

4) You have always liked the look of PJ's LotR trilogy

5) You don't necessarily want 13 Gimli lookalikes

6) You have put a lot of hard work into studying the text.

I aplogise if this is a poor summary of previous remarks you have made, but they give me hope that we are not totally at opposite ends of the spectrum. I know that it shouldn't be important if we both disagree from now until Kingdom Come, but it still gives me a much more pleasant feeling if we can relate on some issues.

Now I would like to attempt an explanation of why some posters do not back up their remarks with studious remarks from the text. This is not because they're lazy or care less passionately than you about how PJ presents his films, and quite a few people like bookgirl have attempted to be serious and academic in their approach. But, Kangi Ska said that he will be content if the films echo "the spirit" of the book and I think that this is what many people are doing when they say they are happy with this, that and the other but don't give a supporting quote - because there ISN'T a supporting quote. You say that Thorin is the oldest in the group and we can't deny it. But what many of us are saying is that this is not a critical point for us as long as the "spirit" of Thorin is captured (and a number of people have attempted to explain what they mean by "the spirit of Thorin"). And, yes, perhaps Tolkien does suggest that Thorin's beard is white, but, again, many posters have given reasons to explain why they prefer a man in his prime rather than someone who is old and grey. Yes, we are rejecting the small number of remarks that Tolkien makes about the age and the appearance of the dwarves and we're hoping that PJ's interpretation will bring a new life to the images circling in our heads.

We, (the "cheery brigade"), don't mind the new ideas being put forward and perhaps you do. Well, I'm sorry for that and I hope we can find at least a little common ground when the photo of Thorin comes out and, more importantly, when we see them all acting and relating to one another in the actual films.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2011, 4:58pm

Post #172 of 351 (17390 views)
Shortcut
Just how are they all going to fit in? [In reply to] Can't Post

And the house is Hobbit sized too!

I can imagine some chair being broken under them. Tongue

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 15 2011, 4:59pm

Post #173 of 351 (17366 views)
Shortcut
What can this old fogy say. [In reply to] Can't Post

According to Tolkien old Dwarves can still kick but. And Bilbo was 50 in the Hobbit and so was Frodo when he set out for Mordor. The youth cult is a delusion instilled by to many television commercials . And stay off my lawn.

Photobucket

Jim
Rivendell

Jul 15 2011, 5:02pm

Post #174 of 351 (17330 views)
Shortcut
Good job... [In reply to] Can't Post

Though you would have major difficulties in making it your desktop background. Laugh

rings7
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 5:03pm

Post #175 of 351 (17351 views)
Shortcut
It's allright [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just that it reminds me my English college classes, when we spent hours and hours (night 3 hour classes) digesting a book that was made into a movie. I was mostly like 'can this be over now?' Crazy

I'm not necessarily bothered, i exagerated by saying 'page by page' i know you guys don't expect that. I'm just in the side of 'that's how the director and crew want it done for a reason' and be done with it. Angelic

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.