Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Balin and Dwalin Photo
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 3:17pm

Post #126 of 351 (20146 views)
Shortcut
Oh I thought you were wondering why they were different in height [In reply to] Can't Post

not why they deliberately chose to make them different in height.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 15 2011, 3:21pm

Post #127 of 351 (20131 views)
Shortcut
Did I take your comment too seriously? :P // [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwimbruk
The Shire

Jul 15 2011, 3:22pm

Post #128 of 351 (20154 views)
Shortcut
Ok, but not the best... [In reply to] Can't Post

Balin seems to have walked straight out of an old people's home and buckled on a sword :p He's still got his dressing gown and slippers on! Either that or he's trying to be Father Christmas...

Dwalin looks ok, but some of these weapons!?! Who in their right mind would take that thing on a 600 mile hike?

PS I think the suggestion that we should call Balin's costume 'Asian-American' takes number one spot in the list of the 'most ridiculous politically-correct sayings I've ever heard' :p

(This post was edited by Dwimbruk on Jul 15 2011, 3:23pm)

DrDeath153
Lorien

Post #129 of 351 (20206 views)
Shortcut
I read and indeed contribute to a fair number of discussions on the LotR Movie board [In reply to] Can't Post

And i find them very interesting, enlightening, vaguely softening (time heals), but still not wholly convincing (in the main, there have certainly been some thought provoking interpretations which have elements i can agree with). I dismiss them 'summarily' here because they're not the focus of my point, i was simply providing examples of the kind of issues i have with the original films.

For me it isn't about point's scoring, it's about objectively analysing and assessing the merits of the various decisions that are made. If there are points to be made in favour of decisions that draw largely negative attention (or indeed vice-versa) but you 'don't have the energy' to write them up, then you can't complain when the 'vocal minority' put their points across strongly. You have to fight your own corner as it were- you want to shut the malcontents up, come up with a strong argument to challenge it. If you think that we're stuck in preconceived ideas of dwarfiness, you find the quotes that prove your argument. Otherwise we might as well not bother with the actual typing part of forum life- every thread might as well be a poll, an impersonal measure of public opinion rather than the more engaging style of debates.

Dr Death

RosieLass
Valinor

Post #130 of 351 (20158 views)
Shortcut
Some of us call ourselves purists. [In reply to] Can't Post

And proudly.

As you say, it is simply shorthand for desiring to remain as faithful as possible to the written canon.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2011, 3:24pm

Post #131 of 351 (20178 views)
Shortcut
Balin! <3 I was waiting for you, you awesome grandpa! [In reply to] Can't Post

They're absolutely perfect. Nothing to nag about. Though we pretty much knew how they'd look like, it's great to see them well.

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

FarFromHome
Valinor

Post #132 of 351 (20113 views)
Shortcut
Amen to that. [In reply to] Can't Post

People are passionate because they care.... We all need to learn to express ourselves without demanding that everyone else agree with us, and without sneering and looking down our noses at those who disagree.

That's exactly the point I was making. A little less passion and a little more real "caring" might go a long way...

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

RosieLass
Valinor

Post #133 of 351 (20168 views)
Shortcut
And another random observation. [In reply to] Can't Post

This one looks even less "photographic" and more artsy-fartsy than the Bag End photos did.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2011, 3:27pm

Post #134 of 351 (20109 views)
Shortcut
Old age makes people shrink [In reply to] Can't Post

and as Dwalin is the one to always carry Bilbo around, you can assume he's the biggest of the lot. So I guess it's the both.

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 3:28pm

Post #135 of 351 (20070 views)
Shortcut
No you didn't :P.... [In reply to] Can't Post

And I don't remember if my original reply was a response to you or someone else asking about their height. Either way I think I missunderstood what people meant by "Why are they at different heights like that?" :P

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 3:29pm

Post #136 of 351 (20204 views)
Shortcut
Balin's beard [In reply to] Can't Post

A little inspiration from Rankin and Bass' Kili, perhaps?

http://www.theonering.com/images2-9013/FiliandKili

-GM

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jul 15 2011, 3:39pm

Post #137 of 351 (20106 views)
Shortcut
You make some great points [In reply to] Can't Post

in your post on the LotR movie board, and I always enjoy reading your thoughts there. The only reason I responded to your post here, though, was because you seemed to be implying that the lack of complex arguments in response to yours meant that there are no such arguments. In the years after the LotR movies came out there was a lot of in-depth discussion about them, including many ideas about the points you dismiss as just PJ getting things wrong. You probably aren't aware of them, because you weren't here at the time.

But if you do want to discuss your ideas in depth, I for one would be more than happy to take part - but only if you can get over peppering your thoughts with annoying little "ad hominems" (like the "cheery brigade" in your earlier post) that, for me at least, only serve to muddy the effect of the excellent points that you make.

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

(This post was edited by FarFromHome on Jul 15 2011, 3:48pm)

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jul 15 2011, 3:43pm

Post #138 of 351 (20099 views)
Shortcut
Balin is pretty much an old hogey fogey in the book though. [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, kind of hunched over, with his pants pulled up to his chest, swinging his arms back and forth in an attempt to give himself momentum to walk but only taking 5 inch steps, while mumbling to himself. (I mean this in the kindest, grandfatherly way, by the way, just so no one thinks I'm being ageist. Angelic)

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
--Walter Sobchak

(This post was edited by Maiarmike on Jul 15 2011, 3:46pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2011, 3:44pm

Post #139 of 351 (20107 views)
Shortcut
lookin' good... [In reply to] Can't Post

all of the dwarves look fantastic! excepting kili, of course, which still kind of baffles me as to what they were thinking-- such a misstep in what was otherwise a near perfect run of dwarves.

and that includes thorin, who we saw enough of in that bag-end photo to get a hearty thumbs up from me.

12 out of 13 ain't bad at all!

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2011, 3:49pm

Post #140 of 351 (20057 views)
Shortcut
The definition of purist: [In reply to] Can't Post

A person who adheres strickly and often excessively to a tradition, especially : one preoccupied with the purity of a language and its protection from the use of forgein or altered forms
-Merria & Webster

A purist is one who desires that an item remain true to its essence and free from adulterating or diluting influences.
-Wikipedia

FYI, to me "purist" is a neutral word that simply refers to a person who wishes things to remain as close as possible to their original form, for what ever reasons.

(This post was edited by Faenoriel on Jul 15 2011, 3:49pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 15 2011, 3:52pm

Post #141 of 351 (20083 views)
Shortcut
From my perspective it is the im-purists who shout loudest // [In reply to] Can't Post

EvilLaugh

architecthis
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 3:53pm

Post #142 of 351 (20064 views)
Shortcut
It's Tattoos and scarring [In reply to] Can't Post

On the head are tatts, forearms are scars...

Does anyone have a hi-res version yet?

(Oversized image removed.)

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 15 2011, 11:26pm)

architecthis
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 3:54pm

Post #143 of 351 (20026 views)
Shortcut
Also [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that he is tattooed

DrDeath153
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 3:56pm

Post #144 of 351 (20048 views)
Shortcut
Well i thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

It's an offer i may well take up. I apologise for the 'ad hominens' if you felt offended by them, but much like i made the point in the same post, like purist it can be used antagonistically or simply as a manner of identifying a group based on broad shared opinions. Labels and stereotypes are not exactly a politically correct but they serve a purpose- we cannot deal with a whole world on a one on one basis (and if we were, arguments aimed at single people and tailored to their unique natures would end up being 'personal attacks' in a sense) so we have our petty little preconceptions and let those who feel strongly enough to deny them make their case. It is by definition 'not personal' to stereotype and generalise.

Dr Death

chrismortega
Bree

Jul 15 2011, 4:04pm

Post #145 of 351 (20279 views)
Shortcut
All the dwarves so far + Bilbo badly photoshopped together by me [In reply to] Can't Post

Check it out...
http://i.imgur.com/LJ6pY.jpg

The fun part was figuring out how tall to make them all. Bilbo, I think, would be a little shorter, but he's closer to the camera.

"It was deliberate, it was deliberate..."

bookgirl13
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 4:05pm

Post #146 of 351 (20013 views)
Shortcut
You do make some valid points here [In reply to] Can't Post

But then you undermine the objectivity of these observations by often dismissing counter arguments as being largely from fangirls (a term I find much more objectionable than purist) or likening such posters to bent juries. All such over the top posts are, you claim, a rhetorical device to get your point across.

Unfortunately the Internet and message boards are not good at providing the nuances of such posts to enable them to be taken in the way that I presume you intended. They often come across to me as intimidating as well as annoying, and I find it difficult to always give you the benefit of the doubt on those occasions and give reasoned, researched replies to all your posts (though I have at times tried). Perhaps if you tried to be less Deathly, you might get more variety in the responses you elicit and see the thought that does go into many of the postings on this board Wink

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jul 15 2011, 4:07pm

Post #147 of 351 (20024 views)
Shortcut
I think it's liver spots. [In reply to] Can't Post

They probably went for a Gorbachev look.

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

(This post was edited by Pipe Dream on Jul 15 2011, 4:08pm)

chrismortega
Bree

Jul 15 2011, 4:08pm

Post #148 of 351 (20004 views)
Shortcut
Called those head tattoos! [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...?post=367702;#367702

But I was totally wrong about the mohawk. Oh well.

"It was deliberate, it was deliberate..."

dwarf_girl
The Shire

Jul 15 2011, 4:14pm

Post #149 of 351 (20003 views)
Shortcut
Woe! It looks great [In reply to] Can't Post

What a crowded bunch of dwarves! I imagine Thorin will be on the center. Hopefully, he will be out this afternoon/evening?

droidsocket
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 4:15pm

Post #150 of 351 (20077 views)
Shortcut
Balin's weapon? [In reply to] Can't Post

Can anyone make out what kind of weapon Balin has? It looks kinda like a sword but it flares out to something else!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.