-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Jettorex
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 2:33pm

Post #102 of 351 (17890 views)
Shortcut
Blue beard? [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't one of them supposed to have a blue beard?

- "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

RoseCotton
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 2:34pm

Post #103 of 351 (17815 views)
Shortcut
What if the oriental person in question isn't American. At all. [In reply to] Can't Post

Many aren't you know... Crazy

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jul 15 2011, 2:37pm

Post #104 of 351 (17812 views)
Shortcut
Dori [In reply to] Can't Post

It was actually Dori that fell and dropped Bilbo in the goblin tunnels.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Post #105 of 351 (17878 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, Dwalin is supposed to have a blue beard... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but Balin's beard looks more blue! Also, Kili is supposed to have a yellow beard, but they seem to have omitted any bright colours... I hope they haven't taken all of the colours out of the Arkenstone too...

JJ Moon
The Shire

Post #106 of 351 (17827 views)
Shortcut
Jessie Ventura...as a dwarf?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not a Ventura fan, but am I the only one that Dwalin looks like Jessie "The Body", or the other way around?

"I ain't got time to Bleed", Dwalin, in The Hobbit.

Jessie Ventura, as Dwalin

eralkfang
Lorien

Post #107 of 351 (17797 views)
Shortcut
Hmm… [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe "Oriental" is still considered okay in Europe, but in the United States, it's more or less uncomfortably old-fashioned, like the use of the word "colored". And when you're trying to describe something, it's considered polite to try and use the actual culture you think it's derived from rather than using a term that lumps together all of Asia.

RoseCotton
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 2:39pm

Post #108 of 351 (17797 views)
Shortcut
Ah! Thanks for the correction! [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew it was one of the dwarves! Wink

RoseCotton
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 2:40pm

Post #109 of 351 (17793 views)
Shortcut
You may have missed the point of what I was saying! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 15 2011, 2:42pm

Post #110 of 351 (17776 views)
Shortcut
The Orient is a region of this earth [In reply to] Can't Post

and if you go to the Oriental Art Museum in Chicago you would discover that the Orient is a much larger piece of land than just China. It is closer to a synonym for Asia.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

DrDeath153
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 2:46pm

Post #111 of 351 (17762 views)
Shortcut
Just so long as it does better what i've imagined [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is possibly quite a bit harder with these films since the images the last lot inspired are actually pretty good. By and large, from appearances, to my tastes, they aren't (not Balin and Dwalin specifically there, i mean the dwarves generally). Don't get me wrong, i don't intend to boycott the films or sit in the isles hissing at designs i don't like- i will appreciate them 'on their own terms' but they haven't sold me on being the definitive versions of the characters in the same way the characters in Lord of the Rings did and ultimately, films being a visual medium the visual element is more important to me in a way than the acting- it's the images that i'll take with me going back to the book, and i'm afraid the images so far have been a bit sub-par to my eyes. Sure the performances may be good, even definitive, but they won't be as strong in your mind as you read the book. It strikes me as a pity and yes Peter Jackson can't please all of the people all of the time, ultimately there will be compromises in how you figure any element will look, but i almost wish he had played a bit more safe so as not to go treading on his own toes, let alone anyone else's.

Dr Death

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 15 2011, 2:48pm

Post #112 of 351 (17760 views)
Shortcut
You pickin' on our former Governor? [In reply to] Can't Post

Jes "The Govner of Minesota" Ventura "The Body Politic" Wink

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jul 15 2011, 2:50pm

Post #113 of 351 (17786 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

So can the cheery brigade appreciate how expressing legitimate opinions might be a bit of a thankless task for the horrible old cynics? You might tell us not to bother but then our complaints will just be swept away- no-one listens to complaints if they can help it- they're such downers. My recommendation would be to encourage those who would otherwise write a one line praise to instead do a similar amount of research, and then we might see who's the vocal minorityAngelic

If you cared to do some "research" into the past efforts of contributors to the LotR Movie Board, for example, you might find some longer and more developed thoughts on what Peter Jackson did right - and why some of the things that you dismiss so summarily here (xenophobic Elrond, reluctant Theoden, crazed Denethor and a Frodo that ends up mistrusting his Sam) might have a value beyond your own interpretation of them.

As a paid-up member of the "cheery brigade", I may be a minority of one, but I just don't have the energy to get involved in the kind of aggressive point-scoring that seems to pass for discussion a lot of the time on this board.

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 2:50pm

Post #114 of 351 (17792 views)
Shortcut
Ahhhh darnit, none of you got the joke [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a reference to the Big Lebowski, that's the only reason why I posted that.

RoseCotton
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 2:52pm

Post #115 of 351 (17745 views)
Shortcut
Indeed, as opposed to the Occident. [In reply to] Can't Post

What I'm still a little bewildered by is why someone seems able to assume, when talking about 'oriental' styling (which I think is where this came from), that it's more correct to bring 'American' into it than not. What has America got to do with 'eastern-style' design? 'Asian-American' may be an objectively sound description of someone of Asian extraction who happens to be American, but not everything in the world is American! Wink

RoseCotton
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 2:53pm

Post #116 of 351 (17741 views)
Shortcut
Went rather over my head... ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jul 15 2011, 2:56pm

Post #117 of 351 (17759 views)
Shortcut
You sure have taken a pretty tough stance about definitive versions... [In reply to] Can't Post

...going by only heavily altered promotional photos. Crazy

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
--Walter Sobchak

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 2:58pm

Post #118 of 351 (17713 views)
Shortcut
Yeah you need to see the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

trust me it would have been funny.

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 15 2011, 3:05pm

Post #119 of 351 (17721 views)
Shortcut
Works for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't love them the way I love Oin and Gloin, but I they also don't make my heart sink the way Nori and Bifur do.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

DrDeath153
Lorien

Post #120 of 351 (17702 views)
Shortcut
Well i mean definitive in the sense of [In reply to] Can't Post

Complete. Other artists may depict them, but they will never be quite so alive, quite so real as the versions we shall see on the big screen- they will be very, very hard to remove from the heads of those who (like me) do not have an iron-clad image of what they 'should' look like (i do have fairly iron-clad ideas about what they shouldn't thoughLaugh)

Dr Death

Snulle
Bree

Post #121 of 351 (17678 views)
Shortcut
Word! [In reply to] Can't Post

Although it will take some convincing to make me "believe" in Kili as a dwarf. But I'm confident I will be very pleased in the end.

Rodu
Rivendell

Jul 15 2011, 3:11pm

Post #122 of 351 (17741 views)
Shortcut
Dwalin's scars? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if that is scarring on Dwalin's head and fore arms from maybe dragon fire?

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 15 2011, 3:13pm

Post #123 of 351 (17693 views)
Shortcut
We all know the actor's height has nothing to do with it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Otherwise they would've chosen Warwick Davis for Bilbo. Balin is either made to look short or the actor was chosen because he was short, either way the choice was made for a reason.

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 15 2011, 3:14pm

Post #124 of 351 (17686 views)
Shortcut
People are passionate because they care. [In reply to] Can't Post

On both sides of the issue.

Some may feel that the purists are being too hardnosed, and they may feel like their opinions aren't welcome. (And unfortunately, there are probably some who are creating that impression...inadvertently or not.)

There are also times when the purist point of view has been soundly mocked and made to feel unwelcome.

We all need to learn to express ourselves without demanding that everyone else agree with us, and without sneering and looking down our noses at those who disagree.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

bookgirl13
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 3:15pm

Post #125 of 351 (17673 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that observation [In reply to] Can't Post

As I have found after being a member here for a number of years, there are an enormous amount of thoughful and balanced posts. So Dr D, there is researched ballast on all sides and all of the boards, even posts that have responded to your comments.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.