Balin and Dwalin Photo
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

sushiking
The Shire

Jul 15 2011, 10:33am

Post #26 of 351 (18776 views)
Shortcut
YEAh! [In reply to] Can't Post

HE looks awesome i tell ya haha. he's probably the tallest dwarf too LOl.

sushiking
The Shire

Jul 15 2011, 10:41am

Post #27 of 351 (18783 views)
Shortcut
Is there a HD pic? [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to zoom in :(

Snulle
Bree

Jul 15 2011, 10:43am

Post #28 of 351 (18820 views)
Shortcut
No High-Res yet. [In reply to] Can't Post

But here is a brighter version so you can really see the awesomeness of Dwalin and his hammer. Wink
http://i56.tinypic.com/2uzfor5.jpg

Delrond
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 10:50am

Post #29 of 351 (18881 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwalin may look human due his height, but I'm open to different bloodlines leading to obviously different body proportions - not just height but sideways as well.

The purist in me wants to see the book adhered to with no subplots shoehorned in, but I know this cannot be done in making these films. PJ and Co. take the essential story elements, enhance a minor one or so to make it more movie-palatable, and omit alot of other details that don't advance the story, IMO. As far as the look of the Dwarves, my main concern was that Balin would not look adequately old, but that has been put to rest. I would have preferred to see all the different colored hoods (and we may yet see them in the movie), just like Gandalf is now sporting a silver scarf and black boots. Not sure about the blue hat though - I haven't seen a picture of him wearing it yet...

Cheers

Things are now in motion that cannot be undone.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2011, 10:54am

Post #30 of 351 (18722 views)
Shortcut
Height [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, Ken Scott playing Balin is only 5'7, so he's pretty much the shortest dwarf, which makes Graham McTavish (Dwaling) look taller, because he's over 6ft, yet shorter than Richard Armitage (Thorin).

(This post was edited by Carne on Jul 15 2011, 10:54am)

sushiking
The Shire

Jul 15 2011, 11:00am

Post #31 of 351 (18670 views)
Shortcut
True haha [In reply to] Can't Post

The sledge hammer makes him look so tall!

anyway can't wait to see Thorin even though I've already seen him in Bilbo's picture xD

Oleander Took
Rivendell

Jul 15 2011, 11:01am

Post #32 of 351 (18874 views)
Shortcut
Clear verion [In reply to] Can't Post

I've also tried my hand to make it look more clear, and after doing so i noticed something: Looks like Dwalin has a piercing in his ear, and his arms have scratches, he really looks like a fighter.
http://i202.photobucket.com/.../Hobbit/03979e61.jpg

Patty
Immortal

Jul 15 2011, 11:03am

Post #33 of 351 (18846 views)
Shortcut
Are my eyes deceiving me or... [In reply to] Can't Post

are those tattoos on his bare head?

Permanent address: Into the West

sharpened_graphite
Rivendell

Jul 15 2011, 11:07am

Post #34 of 351 (18699 views)
Shortcut
I am willing to bet... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that these two are GDT's designs. What with the oriental and ornate elements in Balin's costume and both looking as if they came straight out of an Arthur Rackham illustration. And they're awesome, so there's for all the naysayers. Definitely my favourite dwarves thus far.

(This post was edited by sharpened_graphite on Jul 15 2011, 11:14am)

RoseCotton
Lorien

Jul 15 2011, 11:08am

Post #35 of 351 (18680 views)
Shortcut
Where are Balin's hands I wonder? [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't he afford a coat that fits? Wink

TheWhiteRider
Bree

Jul 15 2011, 11:10am

Post #36 of 351 (18637 views)
Shortcut
Where are Balin's hands ???? [In reply to] Can't Post

I cant see his hands protruding out of his sleeves Crazy

Ruijor
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 11:17am

Post #37 of 351 (18644 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if his height will be that noticeable on film... [In reply to] Can't Post

Same goes for Aidan Turnerīs taller Kili.

Ruijor
Rohan

Jul 15 2011, 11:19am

Post #38 of 351 (18651 views)
Shortcut
Maybe they messed up with the photoshop once again! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sly

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jul 15 2011, 11:24am

Post #39 of 351 (18894 views)
Shortcut
Here's a faux hi-res. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://i176.photobucket.com/...jones-indiana/DB.jpg

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

Mythopoeia
Bree

Jul 15 2011, 11:26am

Post #40 of 351 (18537 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

The pseudo-Oriental look for Balin is entirely unexpected but I like it. I also like the brightness of the red he's wearing after seeing so many costumes in shades of charcoal and more subdued tones. And Dwalin does indeed look tough and awesome. I'm seeing similarities in the cut of his costume and Kili's (short sleeves, longer tunic-skirts) so I wonder if they'll be linked somehow in a student-mentorish way (or even just Kili admiring him)? Kili's pose certainly looks like he wants to be as fierce as Dwalin is here without even trying :D

I've been keeping away from the discussions out of a desire to not get embroiled in any arguing about the Dwarven looks revealed so far, but I've really liked everything shown. Some costuming took more getting used to than others, but seeing all the Dwarves together really gets me excited. I feel like the looks complement each other really well, Nori's hair doesn't even really stand out anymore! Laugh

As to the Kili debate, I'm confident Turner will do an excellent job with the character, and expect he'll have a beard by the end of film 2, so I'm not fussed (and I think his costume's great). I can't wait to see Thorin, but at the same time once his photo is released I won't know what next to look forward to! No more Dwarves!

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 15 2011, 11:28am

Post #41 of 351 (18547 views)
Shortcut
One behind him and the one in front his fist is balled & gloved in black. [In reply to] Can't Post

Or so it appears to me.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jul 15 2011, 11:30am

Post #42 of 351 (18532 views)
Shortcut
Wow. [In reply to] Can't Post

I could crack an off-color joke right now, but I'm trying really hard not to. Laugh

*restrain* *breathe* *remembers maturity*

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
--Walter Sobchak

Snulle
Bree

Jul 15 2011, 11:31am

Post #43 of 351 (18573 views)
Shortcut
I think you're right. [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks definitely like some kind of markings or tattoos.

Albin

Jul 15 2011, 11:32am

Post #44 of 351 (18620 views)
Shortcut
Nah.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think so... Tongue
I know that they want to make it look ''darker'' and such, but I would have wished they put some more greenish colors on Dwalin...
I am an: 'every-thing-that-is-green-looks-very-nice-guy'... I like the color: green. Laugh
And yeah! Balin looks amazing with that beard, I always imagined maybe one of the Dwarves with that sort of beard. And it came to be Balin, nice!
Hmm... Poor Balin who met his fate together with Oin, Ori and other dwarves in Moria, on their mission... Unsure

Questions!

1. Balin escaped together with Thorin and Thror, when the dragon Smaug first came to the mountain, right?

2. Is it Ori that holds the book besides Balins tomb in Moria when the Fellowship discovers their fate?

Cheers!... Wink

Welsh hero
Gondor

Jul 15 2011, 11:40am

Post #45 of 351 (18574 views)
Shortcut
somone with PS, you have to do a picture of them all together [In reply to] Can't Post

please Smile

Twitter: @IrfonPennant

smokerings
Rivendell

Jul 15 2011, 11:43am

Post #46 of 351 (18514 views)
Shortcut
I bet [In reply to] Can't Post

You will see Dwalin use his fits as ultimate weapons (utilizing those gloves that he has) - rolled up sleeves, and those arms....his arms will be like the force of a typhoon.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 15 2011, 11:44am

Post #47 of 351 (18605 views)
Shortcut
Should we wait for Thorin? I doubt we'll have to wait long. [In reply to] Can't Post

I do think Gandalf and Bilbo should be in there with him, although, if he is alone, Bilbo and Gandalf should have a shot together.

Permanent address: Into the West

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 15 2011, 11:44am

Post #48 of 351 (18535 views)
Shortcut
What is this purist bit? [In reply to] Can't Post

It is like name calling. Some of us have lived with Thorin for thirty or more years and it is not purism that shapes our image of Thorin Oakenshield. Tolkien describes him as the oldest Dwarf of the 13 with a long beard that shows up in the dark (A white beard). It looks like the production of these movies has decided to radically redesign the look of the character. It does not take a purist to balk.

Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 15 2011, 11:46am

Post #49 of 351 (18560 views)
Shortcut
The Purist is a straw dog.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 15 2011, 11:47am

Post #50 of 351 (18502 views)
Shortcut
No Balin is shorter and stooped with age.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.