Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Fili and Kili
First page Previous page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next page Last page  View All

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 13 2011, 4:49pm

Post #476 of 601 (25795 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see Dis get a mention... [In reply to] Can't Post

But considering their rarity, I don't think the dwarves would be willing to send one of what few women they have on a near suicidal mission to slay a dragon...

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 13 2011, 4:50pm

Post #477 of 601 (25765 views)
Shortcut
We haven't done them in a while. [In reply to] Can't Post

But yeah, every once in a while, someone would get inspired to start a thread, and everyone else would chip in with their crush(es)-of-the-moment.

It was fun!

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Patty
Immortal

Jul 13 2011, 4:57pm

Post #478 of 601 (25738 views)
Shortcut
I remember my first look at Bag End and the hobbits... [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved it all because it was so familiar--it was like PJ et al had climbed into my head (especially with the Nazgul) and put it all on-screen. If they could only be 100% (or nearly 100%) about one of them, I'm glad it was LotR, my favorite.

After looking at Kili, I may have to just enjoy The Hobbit as a Middle-earth movie of someone else's vision. Rivendell and Bag End we've already seen shots of, and they look basically the same. Most of the Dwarves so far look basically like the dwarves I've always thought of. But with much more of the "Kili factor" and I probably won't be loving The Hobbit because it is a visual of my view, it'll definitely be someone else's view. But I'm gonna love it anyway.

Permanent address: Into the West

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 13 2011, 4:58pm

Post #479 of 601 (25740 views)
Shortcut
There's one on Off Topic now. [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently I couldn't resist. Stupid femine hormones Cool

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 13 2011, 4:59pm

Post #480 of 601 (25847 views)
Shortcut
On the other hand... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the look of the Dwarves leads me into anticipating that Jackson and Co. will dump the cookie-cutter Elvish look and introduce some more serious non-hawt-ish variations among Elven-kind.

Picture the uproar over the release of a photo of a short dark-haired rather overweight Elf. (Like, say, the Elven-King's Butler?)

Oh, this is going to be so much fun!

But alas, the fun is destined to fade when, in the end, the concensus will be "They're perfect!"

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
We sang as the soft gold of Laurelin
And the bright silver of Telperion,
Brought forth the dawn of the world.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
In my torment I kept faith,
And I waited.
But you never came.
And when I returned you drew sword,
And when I called your names you drew bow.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
I will return your hatred,
And I am hungry.

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 13 2011, 5:03pm

Post #481 of 601 (25767 views)
Shortcut
Mine was certainly tongue in cheek! [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, yeah, Kili is very easy on the eyes, (HeartTongueCoolBlush) but the real reason I'm not getting bent out of shape over this photo (or Nori's, for that matter, which I find even more absurd and ridiculous and yuck) is because their appearances really don't matter, in the end. if the character roles are written well, they could dress in clown outfits and it would work. But if the roles are written badly, all the prosthetics and beards and stumpy legs in New Zealand aren't going to save it.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 13 2011, 5:05pm

Post #482 of 601 (25791 views)
Shortcut
Darn you, Arwen's Daughter!!1! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh
Um...I'm sorta between hottie crushes at the moment, though. I'll have to think about this...

Heart

Patty
Immortal

Jul 13 2011, 5:05pm

Post #483 of 601 (25768 views)
Shortcut
Costumes could have helped them to stand out and they could have still all looked like traditional dwarves. [In reply to] Can't Post

Instead, they've costumed them all mostly in monotone gray, at least for the stills. Individuality could have been achieved in a different way and still conformed to the traditionalist, familiar vision, is all I'm saying.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2011, 5:07pm

Post #484 of 601 (25716 views)
Shortcut
The LotR movies are miles away from my mental view of Middle-Earth [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially Elves are completly different, Dwarves are a bit off, and the landscapes and plants are totaly un-European. Where are the birches, beeches and oaks? What are all these tussock grasses and nothofaguses? Why Gondor and Rohan are so barren? How come the Misty Mountains are nothing like the Alps of Switzerland, like Tolkien dreamt them?

And yes, I love them. For their own merits. So I'm going to love TH too.

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 13 2011, 5:13pm

Post #485 of 601 (25821 views)
Shortcut
Looks like Peter chose the road less traveled by. [In reply to] Can't Post

I still think that Kili will be played as the ugly Dwarf.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2011, 5:19pm

Post #486 of 601 (25808 views)
Shortcut
I still don't think the LotR cast is 'perfect'. [In reply to] Can't Post

Elijah Wood was too cherubic to portray the weary fifty-year-old Frodo of the book, Hugo Weaving looked considerably less than Half-Elven, Orlando Bloom was more 'Wood' than 'Elf', and in terms of acting ability, Daniel Day-Lewis and Uma Thurman would have blown Viggo Mortensen and Miranda Otto out of the water. I've long since come to terms with the shortcomings I perceive – and as such I don't wish to get caught up in a tiresome debate with any fans of the aforementioned actors – but I don't expect I'll ever come to regard the Hobbit cast as 'perfect' either. Not by a long shot.

marillaraina
Rohan

Jul 13 2011, 5:23pm

Post #487 of 601 (25735 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah see that's the thing, I am not at all worried about any of the actors I know(and I know Richard Armitage, Aidan Turner, James Nesbitt and now Dean O'Gorman best) and I have little doubt the other actors would be up to similar snuff.

If I had doubts about the actors' talents or the writing(which while I don't think LOTR was perfect, I thought over all it really worked) then the looks of the characters might be more important but to me, now, with those worries out of the way, I'm content to just imagine what these "un-stereotypical" dwarven looks mean, what they represent for the dwarves as a culture on screen and to just have fun with it and if there is eye-candy to be had, well, I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. :)

I mean I find it kind of fun to play with the idea of Kili maybe getting ribbed for his looks("Now, don't be mean, It's not his fault he's ugly") or maybe he's a rebellious little Dwarf "Elf Fan"(Look at that hair! You need to grow up and grow a real beard! You're a dwarf dammit! Not some pansy elf!). :) And to me that sort of thing(if not that exactly) allows for showing how dwarves are as "real people" with all the sorts of quirks and weirdnesses that real people have rather than just representatives of the race. I don't think any of it would actually play a huge role in the film anyway so there isn't really anything to get that upset about.

And as I said, overall the reactions I've seen have been pretty positive to all the picture releases and for the most part the worst that is said is "Ah well, it's just one out of 13". :)

In Reply To
I mean, yeah, Kili is very easy on the eyes, (HeartTongueCoolBlush) but the real reason I'm not getting bent out of shape over this photo (or Nori's, for that matter, which I find even more absurd and ridiculous and yuck) is because their appearances really don't matter, in the end. if the character roles are written well, they could dress in clown outfits and it would work. But if the roles are written badly, all the prosthetics and beards and stumpy legs in New Zealand aren't going to save it.

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Jul 13 2011, 5:24pm

Post #488 of 601 (25701 views)
Shortcut
I love it [In reply to] Can't Post

it's nice to have some untraditional dwarves, it only makes them seem more like real people rather than fantasy creatures.

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 13 2011, 5:27pm

Post #489 of 601 (25629 views)
Shortcut
Most excellent! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 13 2011, 5:28pm

Post #490 of 601 (25825 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson's view of Middle-earth has never been mine [In reply to] Can't Post

but I found a way to allow the difference and in time even love the difference. The Hobbit movies are going to be a rip-roarin' adventure and a new view of my favorite fantasy world. I think it is destined to be great cinema.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 13 2011, 5:29pm

Post #491 of 601 (25715 views)
Shortcut
And on the flip side... [In reply to] Can't Post

I had no issue with the LOTR cast. I hadn't seen most of them in anything anyway.

I just thought several of the roles were written badly (Aragorn, Merry, Pippin, Faramir, Denethor...).

Patty
Immortal

Jul 13 2011, 5:31pm

Post #492 of 601 (25812 views)
Shortcut
This is probably what I don't love... [In reply to] Can't Post

cause I want it to be a fantasy--a vacation from real people. Laugh

Fortunately, so far, Kili is the only one that draws me back into the real world. Hopefully even he will blend in when the movie becomes a movie, and not just a set of promo stills.

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 13 2011, 5:33pm

Post #493 of 601 (25784 views)
Shortcut
PJ's already gone down that road. [In reply to] Can't Post

At least, he hasn't had gone short and dumpy yet, but I thought most of his LOTR elves were decidedly "Homely."

(This post was edited by RosieLass on Jul 13 2011, 5:33pm)

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Jul 13 2011, 5:34pm

Post #494 of 601 (25683 views)
Shortcut
No problems with casting for me either [In reply to] Can't Post

and since I had never read the LOTR books before PJ's adaption I adopted his LOTR as the one I imagined. The Hobbit may be different for me because I have read the book and imagined my own 'hobbit world'. I'lll test that statement December 2012.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Jul 13 2011, 6:07pm

Post #495 of 601 (25696 views)
Shortcut
I dig their weapons [In reply to] Can't Post

The swords look dwarvish. Fili looks pretty good IMO but Kili looks like a human.

Pedich Edhellen? Lau? Hria cuilë.

End of line.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 13 2011, 6:08pm

Post #496 of 601 (25591 views)
Shortcut
Now, there's a thought! ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Jettorex
Lorien

Jul 13 2011, 6:32pm

Post #497 of 601 (25640 views)
Shortcut
Now that.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.....is one strange looking dwarf!

I am sure he is going to be teased incessantly in the movie by the other dwarves. And he's not going to take kindly to it either.

The big question will be...is this Tauriel's love interest?

- "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Eldaria
Rivendell

Jul 13 2011, 6:41pm

Post #498 of 601 (25574 views)
Shortcut
he's a her [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In the early days there was speculation here about how many dwarves would be cast. Surely not the full 13? Would some be female?

Ohhhhh.....I get it now. Kili is a female dwarve. The length of the beard should have tipped us off. If they change the spelling of her name to Keely I think they can pull it off. NOT!!!

“There are some things that time cannot mend. Some hurts that go too deep ... that have taken hold.”

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 13 2011, 6:42pm

Post #499 of 601 (25519 views)
Shortcut
Neither do I. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...cgi?post=31326#31326

Obviously neither of us share in the consensus.

(You and I actually *agree* on something??? The Apocalypse is near!!!)

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
We sang as the soft gold of Laurelin
And the bright silver of Telperion,
Brought forth the dawn of the world.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
In my torment I kept faith,
And I waited.
But you never came.
And when I returned you drew sword,
And when I called your names you drew bow.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
I will return your hatred,
And I am hungry.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2011, 6:52pm

Post #500 of 601 (25506 views)
Shortcut
Please be true! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have particular dislike for the drag queen looking effiminate Elves.

And yet nobody whines about them, thought it's pretty obvious they don't look what Tolkien ment Elves to look like. (Elves and Humans are practically the same species, and are only identified from each other by their eyes and voice.)

But all this time I've felt people are really less butthurt that the Dwarves are "different than in the books" than they're butthurt about them being "diffefrent than in LotR movies"

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

First page Previous page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.