Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Fili and Kili
First page Previous page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 25 Next page Last page  View All

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 13 2011, 3:03pm

Post #451 of 601 (25424 views)
Shortcut
Well where to start. How about "Once upon a time". [In reply to] Can't Post

After Pete's statement about sexy Dwarves and seeing the tease of Thorin's image I thought that a short dark and handsome dwarf was a good. possibility. I am not really surprised. I knew that there was going to be one heck of a blow out here on the boards if it came along. Most everyone expected variations on the theme of Gimli and really never tried to think of Dwarves as a real culture with a population with genetic variability and therefore a range of appearances. Kili might just be the ugly Dwarf from the Dwarve's perspective. (Lets hope he grows out of it, maybe a few battle scars will help...)
I see the strategy of pushing the boundaries of expectations generally a good approach to art. It creates something fresh and new and drags us out of the doldrums of our existence. I see this approach in Chris Nolan's "Dark Knight" and J.J. Abrams "Star TreK", both of which I am extremely fond. I think PJ is going for a reboot of Middle-earth. I think Guillermo del Toro inspired him, pulled him out of the idea that these two films will just be remakes of The Lord of the Rings. I was near convinced of this when Peter went with 3-D. The choice of a cutting edge format was a big signal that The Hobbit was not going to be a comfortable match-up with with its sequels (that happened to get filmed first). Hell I wouldn't be surprised if the framing devise was shot in 2-D and it go to 3-D once the story hits Munchkin...er. Hobbiton. But that is an aside.

You asked what I thought of the two new Dwarves. Well I must say I was suprised and Kili's look does not align with my preconceived notions coming from both the book and Peter's Lord of the Rings. It is not Tolkien but is Tolkien re-imagined. I will not be a naysayer at this point. It is far too early to tell how this will all end up. I will say one thing. The production has not been boring so far.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Alientraveller
Lorien

Jul 13 2011, 3:08pm

Post #452 of 601 (25506 views)
Shortcut
Well I'm surprised as anyone by Kili [In reply to] Can't Post

TVNZ's picked up on the controversy. http://tvnz.co.nz/entertainment-news/hot-hobbit-pics-spark-debate-4301729 But I do believe Kili won't look as airbrushed as he does in this photograph given PJ's grimy style, and will look more proportionate on screen. I agree with everyone Kili's looks could be a source of humour, with Fili jibing about ugly he is and how he needs to grow a beard.

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 13 2011, 3:18pm

Post #453 of 601 (25347 views)
Shortcut
Wyld Ponies rule! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Even with all of this fun teasing, my hope that the performances are so good that the costuming is only a small part of what makes the actors convincing as dwarves. And even with that, the costuming is pretty good. It's mostly just Kili's hair that bugs me.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 13 2011, 3:22pm

Post #454 of 601 (25357 views)
Shortcut
I have one suggestion...Chill. [In reply to] Can't Post

The best defense is not always a great offense. Besides being on the offensive is bound to offend someone.Cool

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 13 2011, 3:25pm

Post #455 of 601 (25320 views)
Shortcut
Now let's take some of your quotes out of context and see how well they fare... [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the first things i learnt about philosophy and arguing is that a person who refuses to acknowledge grounds on which they can be proved wrong can never be proved right

Not to liken fangirls (i.e. in this case those who defend the 'dwarfiness' of Kili's look) to murderers, but in terms of murdering a fictional character they're a bit like a bent jury

Women are much more convincing liars than men and have a remarkable capacity to raise their hormones to the level of poetry but here it is wholly transparent.

i think anyone who tries to defend Kili's look is either a Estrogen Islander or a contrarian.

Emotional wounds make the ladies swoon.

I can see no earthly reason other than cynically appeasing the lowest common denominator to abandon every shred of the dwarven aesthetic and the response of some women on this (yourself included) and their attempts to defend this just ring so phoney it's infuriating.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

sphdle1
Gondor

Jul 13 2011, 3:26pm

Post #456 of 601 (25330 views)
Shortcut
Looks like facial hair to me [In reply to] Can't Post

Not a lot of it, but a short beard or really good scruff.

sphdle1

"You shall not pass!"

Annael
Immortal

Jul 13 2011, 3:26pm

Post #457 of 601 (25347 views)
Shortcut
I don't see sexism [In reply to] Can't Post

I see the Cartesian bias that abstract rationality and pure ideas are to be preferred over anything that actually engages with life. Which, many have argued, does in fact stem from a problem with the feminine - or rather, those aspects of human character that Cartesian dualism insist are feminine, even though men and women have them equally (you're not saying men do not respond viscerally to attractive women now are you?).

It's not actually an either/or situation. It is possible to be intelligent AND have emotions and enjoy the physical side of life.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 13 2011, 3:28pm

Post #458 of 601 (25452 views)
Shortcut
I think you did a pretty good job trying not to generalize too much to offend. [In reply to] Can't Post

Women are much more convincing liars than men and have a remarkable capacity to raise their hormones to the level of poetry but here it is wholly transparent.

This one statement, however, you may want to adjust, as generalizing women to be liars is pretty harsh. A good rule of thumb is to say "many women" or "some women." (I'm just saying this as a friendly suggestion, by the way, because I could see you were trying to tone it down, and I very much appreciate that.)

Please keep in mind that some of us women aren't as interested in the dwarves being handsome as we are interested in them being convincing dwarves. I'd like to see Turner be more dwarfish myself, and at this point, I'm hoping that his performance will be what makes him a dwarf, because clearly, at the very least, his hair isn't doing it for me.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 13 2011, 3:28pm

Post #459 of 601 (25358 views)
Shortcut
Dunno [In reply to] Can't Post

the terms "murdering a fictional character" do sound like something a lawyer would say to rile up the jury. When the LOTR movies came out, the equivalent phrase was "raping the book."

Such burning and passionate (yet trite and cliched) phrases are vitally necessary to establish that one is A Real Fan. We'll be seeing a lot more rape and murder as we get more Real Fans on the forum in the coming months. It's not going to be pretty.

I argued then and I argue now that the book remains intact, as do the characters.

Narf!

I hope you don't mean that someone else's ideas have the power to destroy your own.

DD does have a point. Like Ben Kenobi said, the minds of certain types of people are easily influenced. That's what Hitler did. And we don't want to be like Hitler, do we?

(And with that Reductio Ad Hitlerum, Godwin's Law is invoked!)

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
We sang as the soft gold of Laurelin
And the bright silver of Telperion,
Brought forth the dawn of the world.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
In my torment I kept faith,
And I waited.
But you never came.
And when I returned you drew sword,
And when I called your names you drew bow.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
I will return your hatred,
And I am hungry.

Annael
Immortal

Jul 13 2011, 3:33pm

Post #460 of 601 (25317 views)
Shortcut
Darkstone [In reply to] Can't Post

I Heart you passionately.

Solely for your mind, of course, you degenerate old NARF!

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

esheming
Bree

Jul 13 2011, 3:34pm

Post #461 of 601 (25399 views)
Shortcut
They all look just fine to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

...considering that film is a visual medium and that the characters must be visually different from one another to a certain extent. I remember thinking that the Hobbits of LOTR didn't look very hobbitty at the time (Frodo, Merry and Pippin are too slender, Martin Freeman's Bilbo is technically too slender as well, their clothes aren't as described in the novels etc etc) ~ but that didn't bother me a bit once the film started. To be honest, the first time I saw 'Fellowship', my heart sank when Viggo uttered his first sentences as Aragorn. By the end of the film, I couldn't have imagined anyone else ever playing Aragorn!

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 13 2011, 3:34pm

Post #462 of 601 (25263 views)
Shortcut
Kili is hawt!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love pair. They're great. Especially Turner. Who is hawt!!

And I'm a guy!

(I love being the outlier in someone else's data!!)

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
And I waited.
But you never came.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
And I am hungry.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 13 2011, 3:35pm

Post #463 of 601 (25173 views)
Shortcut
Your understanding is correct. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
And I waited.
But you never came.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
And I am hungry.

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 13 2011, 3:38pm

Post #464 of 601 (25355 views)
Shortcut
I see what's going on [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a difference in how women admire men and how men admire women. A lot of what these women said was jokingly, and to be silly. It's fun to be silly, and it doesn't mean we all prefer a guy to be good looking over convincing in his role.

If you ever notice the difference between a strip club with female strippers and one with male strippers, you can see some of this. Often, the strip clubs with female strippers are filled with men who stare more and seem to take it all more seriously. Strip clubs with male strippers are more often filled with giggling women, who are just out having fun and not taking it seriously at all.

Testosterone plays a huge role in thinking about sex. We all have it, men and women. But men have it more, and it can make sex and the imperative to have it a much stronger, more serious instinct. In women, it's not so strong, and we think about sex much less often per day. So when we talk about attractiveness in men, there's less of that imperative. And I think this is where many men get annoyed, frustrated, confused. What we mean as being fun, admiring, but silly at the same time, men can often misinterpret as us being more serious.

I'm sure some of these women are being serious, but most of these quotes you pulled out sound like playful joking to me.

And mods, if there's anything I need to adjust here to fit better to board standards, please let me know, I'm happy to adjust.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jul 13 2011, 3:41pm

Post #465 of 601 (25331 views)
Shortcut
Twelve-and-Half Dwarves? [In reply to] Can't Post

BILBO: All I said to Thorin was that maybe Dwarves and Elves should get along better - and he threw his axe at me!

BALIN: That might have been a mistake.

BILBO: Why? What's he got against Elves, anyway?

BALIN: You didn't hear this from me, but a few years back there was a, let's say, silly, rumour going around concerning his sister and a certain Elf. It was completely unfounded, of course.

BILBO: Of course. (Looks thoughtfully in Kili's direction)

BALIN: Bilbo?

BILBO: Yes?

BALIN: Don't stare.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Jul 13 2011, 3:42pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 13 2011, 3:43pm

Post #466 of 601 (25266 views)
Shortcut
Yep. [In reply to] Can't Post

About what I was thinking. This is going to be the Legolas Dwarf!

Can't wait to see him shield-surfing down the stairs of Erebor, or climbing up the side of a huge warg, killing the Goblin riders, then sliding down its snout.

This is going to be so cool!!

(BTW, how'd somebody so reasonable and level-headed as you get into this discussion?)

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
And I waited.
But you never came.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
And I am hungry.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 13 2011, 3:47pm

Post #467 of 601 (25362 views)
Shortcut
Yeah. [In reply to] Can't Post

Still, previously my images of Dwarves consisted of the archetypes from Disney, D&D, and WOW. Nice to have my mind expanded away from decades long cliches.

I was so worried about 13 identical little Dwarves running around with only colored hoods to distinguish them. This is looking better and better!

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
And I waited.
But you never came.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
And I am hungry.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2011, 3:52pm

Post #468 of 601 (25257 views)
Shortcut
Women being better liars does not mean they lie more frequently [In reply to] Can't Post

I would consider the ability to lie well quite a useful one. I actually wish I was a better liar, as I can't lie to save my life (I have some kind of psychological block about misleading others and it sometimes gets me into trouble). Commenting on the disparity of general lying capabilities between the genders doesn't strike me as particularly offensive – and from my experience, it's got some truth to it...

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 13 2011, 3:56pm

Post #469 of 601 (25318 views)
Shortcut
Rats! [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually was kinda hoping it was a physical thing.

But I'm still grateful for the "we're just friends" acknowledgement.

Thanks!

And congrats again!!

And BTW, as I get more geriatric I'm becoming less degenerate, but I hope to remain as narfy as ever!

(That's "narfy", as opposed to "smurfy.")

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
And I waited.
But you never came.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
And I am hungry.

lindorian
The Shire

Jul 13 2011, 3:58pm

Post #470 of 601 (25310 views)
Shortcut
I think you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

Most grown women have a laugh over fancying guys on screen. It's not something to take seriously. And the assumption that his look will will have us all drooling in the aisles is just plain wrong. (He's too pretty for a start!) I didn't fancy any of the hunks in LOTR. I watched it for the story.

As for Kili's look, yes he doesn't look like an archetypal dwarf. I would happily slap a big beard on him but I think there's been a huge overreaction about the hair. By the time he's been on the journey, it's going to look more like Aragon's straggly mess than anything else. These are glossy studio portraits - teasers to get us talking in the run up to Comic Con. I love that the dwarves have different looks and can't wait to see the rest of them.

BTW, I hope James Nesbitt isn't the bald one... after he spent all that money on a hair transplant!Wink

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 13 2011, 4:06pm

Post #471 of 601 (25314 views)
Shortcut
So more than just one of the Company would possibly be part Elf. [In reply to] Can't Post

Present version of The Hobbit:

"As I was saying, the mother of this hobbit – of Bilbo Baggins, that is – was the fabulous Belladonna Took, one of the three remarkable daughters of the Old Took, head of the hobbits who lived across The Water, the small river that ran at the foot of The Hill. It was often said (in other families) that long ago one of the Took ancestors must have taken a fairy wife. That was, of course, absurd, but certainly there was still something not entirely hobbit-like about them, and once in a while members of the Took-clan would go and have adventures."

Tolkien's abandoned revision of The Hobbit from 1960 (published in volume 2 of The History of The Hobbit):

"As I was saying, the mother of this hobbit – of Bilbo Baggins, that is – was the fabulous Belladonna Took, one of the three remarkable daughters of the Old Took, head of the hobbits who lived across The Water, the small river that ran at the foot of The Hill. It was often said (in other families) that the Tooks must have some elvish blood in them: which was of course absurd, but there was undoubtedly some thing queer about them, something not quite hobbitlike, according to the manners of the Shire: an outlandish strain maybe from long ago. Every now and again Tooks would go off on adventures."

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
And I waited.
But you never came.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
And I am hungry.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 13 2011, 4:09pm

Post #472 of 601 (25156 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely agree with all you've said, sauget.diblosio, [In reply to] Can't Post

and belated welcome to TORn, by the way.

Permanent address: Into the West

Phibbus
Rohan

Jul 13 2011, 4:12pm

Post #473 of 601 (25301 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Has anyone considered that the studio pressure to mitigate mostly-male-Middle-earth may have been more successful than we at first realized? Gimli tells us that dwarf women often can't be distinguished from the men... Look at Kili's soft, downy fringe, that slender, willowy build...

I can see it now, just as Kili is about to fall defending lord and uncle... off comes the helmet to reveal that that absolutely glorious nimbus of flowing hair...

"It is no man-dwarf that stands before you, but Kelli, Daughter of Dis!"
(Perhaps it is the guys who should be ogling this cheesecake?)

In seriousness though, the look does not bother me overmuch. What the look might imply as to what is done with the character has me a bit nervous.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 13 2011, 4:32pm

Post #474 of 601 (25247 views)
Shortcut
LOL, this is great! Let the rumors fly! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Patty
Immortal

Jul 13 2011, 4:37pm

Post #475 of 601 (25212 views)
Shortcut
Could be... [In reply to] Can't Post

because if the description says she falls for an Elf Lord perhaps someone saw Kili and thought he was the elf.Wink

Permanent address: Into the West

First page Previous page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 25 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.