Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Fili and Kili
First page Previous page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 25 Next page Last page  View All

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2011, 1:37am

Post #351 of 601 (25705 views)
Shortcut
The curls would have been good [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, they could have kept him just the way he looks IRL and he would have been pretty fine hair-wise.

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

Spencissimus
Lorien

Jul 13 2011, 1:40am

Post #352 of 601 (25659 views)
Shortcut
You make some good points, MC Double D! [In reply to] Can't Post

...for me, it seems like with Kili they forgot to adjust his waistline. All the other actors (except maybe Ori, but he still looks stocky) have their belts somewhere that gives the impression that they are actually of a dwarvish build, Aiden Turner appears to have his belt around his actual waist and just looks like a human.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 13 2011, 1:40am

Post #353 of 601 (25672 views)
Shortcut
You know, I bet that hairdo [In reply to] Can't Post

lasts about one day of camping before he's tying it back or asking for a little braiding assistance from his brother. Speaking as someone with long straight hair, if you're going to rough it in the wilds, braids are the way to go. Wink

Seriously though, while I'm not wildly enthusiastic, I'm still waiting to see all the dwarves together before I form a definite opinion. Context is a very important factor here, as all these characters are going to be more or less milling around in a pack everywhere they go. I'd love a formal shot of Bilbo at the end to add in to the group, too.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2011, 1:41am

Post #354 of 601 (25656 views)
Shortcut
Good point [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for bringing it up!

I want to have faith he looks more Dwarvish on-screen than in this promo shot.

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 13 2011, 1:47am

Post #355 of 601 (25543 views)
Shortcut
It's a game that appears occasionally on Off Topic [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone will start with a post inviting everyone to Estrogen Island, and the post will contain a picture of a good-looking man, or a link to a picture. Others participate with other pictures. Much giggling and silliness ensues Cool.

Estrogen Island started way back in the early days of TORN when most of the members were men. They had an occasional thread called Testosterone Tower with pictures and the women reacted with Estrogen Island.

Here's a link to the TORN dictionary, which has lots of definitions of some of our obscure terminology Smile

Spencissimus
Lorien

Jul 13 2011, 1:50am

Post #356 of 601 (25623 views)
Shortcut
Now that we've seen Kili... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I think that hatted dwarf peering around at Bilbo in the Empire pic is probably Jimmy Nesbitt as Bofur. While I'm at it, the bald dwarf is probably Dwalin, the chap next to him Bifur, and of course Balin with the white hair and beard! If I'm right, the only dwarf we haven't had even the slightest glimpse at is Bombur.

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 13 2011, 2:06am

Post #357 of 601 (25577 views)
Shortcut
I'm not finding that description anywhere in The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili and Kili are described as short and fat with yellow beards, blue hoods and silver belts.

I've scoured the text and the only description of Kili (and Fili) I can find is:

yellow beard
blue hat
silver belt
young
keen eyesight

In fact, I can't find anyplace where he describes any of the dwarves as short. Can you point to where Kili is described as short and fat?

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jul 13 2011, 2:09am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 13 2011, 2:20am

Post #358 of 601 (25594 views)
Shortcut
Hey, I'm watching Twilight: Eclipse at this very moment! // [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 13 2011, 2:22am

Post #359 of 601 (25481 views)
Shortcut
Anime characters? // [In reply to] Can't Post

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 13 2011, 2:25am

Post #360 of 601 (25586 views)
Shortcut
I'm going on 2 hours in this one thread alone! [In reply to] Can't Post

Helllllppppppppp! Shocked

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 13 2011, 2:31am

Post #361 of 601 (25588 views)
Shortcut
Blue Steel!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it! Laugh

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 13 2011, 2:35am

Post #362 of 601 (25646 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of being "stunned into silence" [In reply to] Can't Post

Miss Lily is going to work out just fine. I predict her and Kili hook up.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 13 2011, 2:36am

Post #363 of 601 (25621 views)
Shortcut
Want to wager on that?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 13 2011, 2:39am

Post #364 of 601 (25600 views)
Shortcut
Ok a virtual rootbeer says Evangeline will work out just fine ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 13 2011, 2:45am

Post #365 of 601 (25497 views)
Shortcut
Rootbeer Yes but [In reply to] Can't Post

I sense you are taking a small step back in regards to her association with Fili.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 13 2011, 2:55am

Post #366 of 601 (25583 views)
Shortcut
With stakes that high, yes [In reply to] Can't Post

but let's settle this once and for all... is Aiden Turner Fili or Kili? This will be the bane of me. I need a mnemonic, stat!

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 13 2011, 2:58am

Post #367 of 601 (25443 views)
Shortcut
Turner is Kili [In reply to] Can't Post

For the life of me, I can't come up with a mnemonic. I could with the components of DNA because Adenine and Thymine start with my brother's initials, and Guanine and Cytosine start with my aunt's initials.

sushiking
The Shire

Jul 13 2011, 3:01am

Post #368 of 601 (25570 views)
Shortcut
HAHA WOW! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to say this; They will be my favorite in the bunch without a doubt now :P

I sure they will act like Merry And Pippin and be as awesome as Legolas was ;D, seeing how Kili has a cute small bow and arrow and fili has 2 awesome swords!!!!

This is awesome!

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jul 13 2011, 3:06am

Post #369 of 601 (25532 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I'm really digging the look of Fili. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like his dual-wielded swords, and the epic look on his face, like "I'm about to start some %*$&". It's Kili I'm unsure about at this point, but it could just be the Fabio-commercial hairdo.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
--Walter Sobchak

R11
Lorien

Jul 13 2011, 3:07am

Post #370 of 601 (25555 views)
Shortcut
Of course [In reply to] Can't Post

There's nothing wrong with appreciating the good looks of actors or actresses. But my point was that it seems to fly in the face of Tolkien's vision and story to be so enthusiastic over the appearance of a character who doesn't look much like they're from the race of the character they're supposed to be Smile. I think most people agree that Liv and Miranda fit the looks of their respective roles pretty well, even though both are quite easy on the eyes. I mean, we're talking about a board here where people obsess over minute details, but somehow this rather large oddity is Hunky-Dory (no pun intended of course)? That just surprises me...

Iike I said before, I made the comment after reading a number of comments on PJ's facebook post before reading this thread as well and meant the comment in general and not specifically regarding TORn. And quite honestly I really don't see where this feeling of it's harshness comes from. I'm very surprised that so many seem to have taken it that way and think I was being judgmental to tell you the truth.

I hope I don't stumble into one of your sessions. You know I've got images in my head of sharks with blood in the water already! Shocked Cool

ron

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 13 2011, 3:11am

Post #371 of 601 (25369 views)
Shortcut
Aha! "Will Ki-ss Li-ly" might work... your move Kangi XD // [In reply to] Can't Post

your move Kangi LaughAngelic

Phibbus
Rohan

Jul 13 2011, 3:12am

Post #372 of 601 (25526 views)
Shortcut
Well, yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So actually no most directors do NOT manage, imo, to differentiate between 12 disciples, most fail pretty miserably and after their initial introductions they mostly just blend into a group, aside from maybe one or two, perhaps 3 standouts.

That's pretty much the way it should be handled for effective storytelling. Anything beyond that is sidetracking for its own sake and to no dramatic purpose.

sushiking
The Shire

Jul 13 2011, 3:13am

Post #373 of 601 (25514 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha, his hair is pretty cool though, not all Dwarves have thick hair and plat there hair/bears :P

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 13 2011, 3:23am

Post #374 of 601 (25419 views)
Shortcut
*plays air guitar* // [In reply to] Can't Post

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jul 13 2011, 3:28am

Post #375 of 601 (25546 views)
Shortcut
This thread is a hefty slice of fried gold. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of the sub-discussions and posts have verged on epic-win. I've definitely gotten my fair share of entertainment today. Laugh

Also, how much do you want to bet that the next batch of dwarves will be properly uglified and hairified? There's a formula to releasing these photos, I just know it!

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
--Walter Sobchak

First page Previous page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 25 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.