Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Fili and Kili
First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 25 Next page Last page  View All

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 12 2011, 11:30pm

Post #301 of 601 (28766 views)
Shortcut
Back off! The snarky fire-breathing ginger is mine! ALL MINE!// [In reply to] Can't Post

NARF
NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2011, 11:32pm

Post #302 of 601 (28856 views)
Shortcut
they just look... human [In reply to] Can't Post

this is the first set of pictures that i don't love.

i sort of understand that they want to get the hunk factor into the hobbit somewhere, but these two just look like normal humans. they don't look bad, they just don't look like dwarves-- especially kili. honestly, i was afraid that they were going to do this with all the dwarves, so the first five reveals were a big relief. but honestly, this photo is a disappointment.

but i absolutely love the previous 5, and fili looks actually not too bad, but kili is just far too hunky for a dwarf.

my concerns when i saw that they cast aidan turner seem to have come to fruition.

oh well.

bring on more dwarves!

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2011, 11:33pm

Post #303 of 601 (28930 views)
Shortcut
Aidan Turner [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder how he is taking this. Naturally, it's not the actor's fault how his character looks like - it's up to PJ and the design team. But remembering how Liv even still sometimes gets bashed for the changes PJ made for her character...

I hope the guy has either the wisdom of his own, or someone wise advising him to not to read these threads.

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

Theodred
Lorien

Jul 12 2011, 11:33pm

Post #304 of 601 (28831 views)
Shortcut
I just was making you aware of this remarkable interview, [In reply to] Can't Post

because Aidan Turner said he was growing out his beard for Kili, but after seeing the photo of Kili, the opposite seems true: Kili with (almost) no beard. so somewhere down the line PJ felt a beard for Kili probably wasn't working for him I guess.

http://dehobbithyve.hyves.nl/
http://www.widgetbox.com/widget/the-hobbit-news-widget-ronald_40

(This post was edited by Theodred on Jul 12 2011, 11:38pm)

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Jul 12 2011, 11:36pm

Post #305 of 601 (28744 views)
Shortcut
Nice. [In reply to] Can't Post

Almost Kha'ili Drogo!

NAArP since 2011*

*Not An Ardent Purist

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 12 2011, 11:37pm

Post #306 of 601 (28783 views)
Shortcut
I have a feeling the beard in this picture is a work-in-progress... [In reply to] Can't Post

Either he'll have a thicker beard in the film or his beard will grow as the story progresses...

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Jul 12 2011, 11:39pm)

Patty
Immortal

Jul 12 2011, 11:40pm

Post #307 of 601 (28816 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking the same thing. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I loved Liv's Arwen, and I take every thread opportunity to say so, in case she somehow still gets to know.

Permanent address: Into the West

Geldof the Grey

Jul 12 2011, 11:41pm

Post #308 of 601 (28826 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf-lander [In reply to] Can't Post

Kili looks like he's hitting us with dwarf blue steel!

Seriously this is a bit too much isn't it? I keep seeing comments that Tolkien never described what the dwarves looked like and I'm sure he didn't, but Peter Jackson did establish a "look" for them. No one wants to see thirteen identical Gimlis, but Kili is a bit too far removed from what we already know. He just looks human.

I would like to have seen Alan Lee and John Howe's faces when PJ sprung this one on them. I bet they swallowed their paintbrushes.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 12 2011, 11:43pm

Post #309 of 601 (28572 views)
Shortcut
Well, don't quack too loudly or you'll wake her up./ [In reply to] Can't Post

Permanent address: Into the West

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2011, 11:48pm

Post #310 of 601 (28709 views)
Shortcut
I love her too! [In reply to] Can't Post

And firmly belief the inclusion of her story from the Appendices to the main saga was exactly the right choice. Tolkien would have approved.

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 12 2011, 11:48pm

Post #311 of 601 (28799 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien DID describe them... anyone who says otherwise is in denial. [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili and Kili are described as short and fat with yellow beards, blue hoods and silver belts. Dori, Ori, Nori, Oin and Gloin however, are not described beyond the colour of their hoods.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Jul 12 2011, 11:50pm)

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 12 2011, 11:49pm

Post #312 of 601 (28790 views)
Shortcut
I don't understand your logic, I guess [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't understand how appreciating the good looks of an actor or actress translates into abandoning all loyalty to Tolkien. Surely you're not going to tell me that anyone of the male persuasion who thinks Liv Tyler or Miranda Otto are hot are traitors to the books?

So, yes, even by including only "a particular group expressing their glee over his steamy appeal" you are painting a very broad brush to take that and draw a very specific conclusion like the one you're drawing about females here at TORn. We don't have anything to prove, but if you know half of us even half as well as we deserve, you would know that none of us deserve that harsh judgment.

I hope you never stumble upon a good Estrogen Island session here (which, by the way, doesn't include a LOTR book-burning), as we'll all sorely disappoint you, as will the lads here who like a good Testosterone Tower thread. Cool

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2011, 11:50pm

Post #313 of 601 (28758 views)
Shortcut
A little correction to the above [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm in no way accusing anyone of bashing Turner. No such sentimentals have appeared here. I shouldn't have even brought the subject into the discussion, as it's ultimately secondary. The mere fact that many fans are reacting negatively to his character must be hard for the actor.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2011, 11:52pm

Post #314 of 601 (28780 views)
Shortcut
skinny dwarves? [In reply to] Can't Post

it's my understanding that dwarves don't start out thin and then get "fat", but that the dwarvish race is a naturally stocky race.

elephants don't start out skinny then get fat, they always look like elephants, and always have that same basic elephant shape.

lurtz2010
Rohan

Post #315 of 601 (28762 views)
Shortcut
awesome pics [In reply to] Can't Post

They're perfect young dwarves and people really need to get over the beards, they'll probably get longer as the journey goes on anyway.

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Post #316 of 601 (28673 views)
Shortcut
Come to think of it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Kili does look a little Ted Theodore Logan... Hmm...

marillaraina
Rohan

Jul 12 2011, 11:54pm

Post #317 of 601 (28734 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

To me, this shows the real progression of the dwarf lifespan if you will. I could totally see young dwarves starting out fairly "normal" looking, just small(and to be honest the only thing we really know about Tolkien's dwarves is they have beards and they are short and kind of stocky, other than that there is no reason to think they aren't as individual as humans are and some humans are sort of squat and ugly and some are tall and beautiful and some are small and beautiful and some are tall and ugly, etc, etc, etc).

Aule was after originally making them to be similar to Iluvatar's creations, IIRC - Elves and Men(actually didn't dwarves come before Men? I can't remember but I supposed the Valar knew men were coming some day by that point), he didn't set out to make squat little rough guys, they just didn't turn out quite how he planned them too, because he didn't have Iluvatar's abilities. So I'd imagine they might look alright to start and then sort of start looking more stereotypically "dwarvish" as they age.

To be honest I tend to think that the Gimli-like dwarves are probably considered the hotties of the dwarf world and while we may think "Oh look at Kili and Fili, how adorable" they are probably thought of as being not great looking by OTHER dwarves(at least not yet, they are, at this point in their lives, basically little more than teenagers) . Sort of like Marilyn from The Munsters. LOL (If anyone hasn't seen it, it's a comedy from the 60's based on the idea of Frankenstein's monster, Dracula, dracula's daughter being a family with the monster and the daughter's son being a wolf boy - they have a young niece who lives with them named Marilyn who is very pretty blonde girl, to human eyes, but they are always feeling bad for her because, to their eyes, she's very plain. :) )

Basically I could even see it being played for a bit of a joke, about how the "goodlooking" dwarves are actually "ugly".

Though I guess maybe this explains all that ribbing Aidan Turner took about "sex appeal" in that charity video. :)

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2011, 11:54pm

Post #318 of 601 (28675 views)
Shortcut
'The Hobbit: Fili and Kili's Excellent Adventure'? // [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 13 2011, 12:08am

Post #319 of 601 (28667 views)
Shortcut
But Liv Tyler and Miranda Otto's characters are described as fair in the books... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2011, 12:10am

Post #320 of 601 (28759 views)
Shortcut
Testosterone Tower? [In reply to] Can't Post

As what is presumably the diametric counterpart of Estrogen Island (or Oestrogen Island, as I prefer to call it), wouldn't a good Testosterone Tower thread involve male Tornadoes fawning over attractive female actresses? If so, I don't think we've actually had any of those – as far as I can recall, the announcements of Evangeline Lilly and Cate Blanchett didn't result in an any 'approving males vs disapproving females' arguments (whose inverse R11 seems to see here). Unless by 'Testosterone Tower sessions' you mean those threads where some of us enthusiastically discussed the merits of a crusty old Thorin not aimed towards the female sector of the audience. Angelic

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Jul 13 2011, 12:20am

Post #321 of 601 (28774 views)
Shortcut
I'd rather have the hunk [In reply to] Can't Post

than that twisted creature Wink

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

Garfeimao
Rohan

Jul 13 2011, 12:20am

Post #322 of 601 (28740 views)
Shortcut
Definitely hormones [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, I'm going to pull out the girl card too and say 'Hubba Hubba' here.

When the cast list started coming out I kept hoping we'd get to see the faces of some of these actors, and it looks like we will be able to. Yup, I'm a wee bit shallow on this point, but I was not looking foward to seeing 13 pairs of eyes staring out of fuzzy faces for two whole films.

But I do have to wonder about the Middle-earth Cosmo pose and the obvious advertising for Lothlorien Beauty Care products going on here.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Jul 13 2011, 12:22am

Post #323 of 601 (28778 views)
Shortcut
It didn't stand a chance [In reply to] Can't Post

although it apparently was given.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

marillaraina
Rohan

Post #324 of 601 (28771 views)
Shortcut
I've thought this for a while now [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...That these two rascals are the new Merry-Pippin duo for The Hobbit. Wink

I really thought everything about what they seemed to be casting for said "Merry and Pippin of the Hobbit" and it also makes sense, given how they end up - that he might particularly want to make the audience get to know and feel for them so the ending will have some poignancy and affect..

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Post #325 of 601 (28780 views)
Shortcut
I agree with your assessment of Fili [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems like people are mostly posting about Kili not looking dwarven enough, but I agree with you, Fili looks suitably dwarven to me.

First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 25 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.