Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Fili and Kili
First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 25 Next page Last page  View All

rings7
Rohan

Jul 12 2011, 10:02pm

Post #251 of 601 (24943 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

Whether we like it or not, this will put more seats on the movie theaters which is at the end the main purpose of making a film. I just came from a blog where they just posted this picture and they're all ecstatic, did i say ecstatic? euphoric! with how these dwarfs are looking. All the Being Human fans are already sold out for the Hobbit.

Amigo
Bree

Post #252 of 601 (24924 views)
Shortcut
Then maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

Kili and Fili would be considered ugly by dwarven standards? And Oin and Gloin are the hunks? Who knows? Tongue

All that matters to me is that the actors personify the dwarven race through their acting abilities.

Speak "friend" and enter.

R11
Lorien

Post #253 of 601 (24806 views)
Shortcut
But I didn't [In reply to] Can't Post

Paint all the fans with a broad brush. I specifically commented about a particular group expressing their glee over his steamy appeal. So, unless you have a guilty conscience Altaira it shouldn't bother you Cool

ron

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Post #254 of 601 (24955 views)
Shortcut
Well I knew what you would say when these popped up. [In reply to] Can't Post

My thoughts go back to PJ's choice of 3-D. It gave a clear signal that he intended to go in a new direction. I would say that it is not what I expected but it could still turn out well in the end. If The Hildebrandt Brothers, Alan Lee, and Cor Blok can all illustrate Tolkien then I can live with GQ Dwarves.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Jul 12 2011, 10:04pm)

Marionette
Rohan

Jul 12 2011, 10:03pm

Post #255 of 601 (24950 views)
Shortcut
Are people saying they have no beards? [In reply to] Can't Post

Kili and Fili have beards XD Why people say they haven´t.

They have beards of YOUNG dwarves Blush

Honestly the dwarves are not described, they basically are all the same while reading the book (s), OK, with some feaures, but making them different is OK

So, it is not my worry the look of the dwarves, or other characters.
Still waiting for Thorin cuz he is my favorite.Unsure

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2011, 10:03pm

Post #256 of 601 (24887 views)
Shortcut
Dori, Nori and Ori didn't look like cookie-cutter Dwarves either [In reply to] Can't Post

But their photo was released to markedly better reception than this one. I don't want them to be thirteen Gimlis any more than you do, but I do want them to look like they're actually Dwarves. Judging by this picture, Kili does not quite fulfil that basic requirement.

sharpened_graphite
Rivendell

Jul 12 2011, 10:05pm

Post #257 of 601 (24948 views)
Shortcut
It's not that dwarves should be "ugly"... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it's rather that they shouldn't be handsome in this kind of squeaky clean Holllywood pretty boy manner.

Look at this dwarf by Alan Lee: http://imageshack.us/...mages/97/dwarfs.jpg/

He looks like a dwarf without being "ugly", if anything he looks noble and dignified. The last thing he resembles is a model out of a fashion magazine (unfortunately the same cannot be said for Kili).

mykonos
Bree

Jul 12 2011, 10:06pm

Post #258 of 601 (24703 views)
Shortcut
I hope so! [In reply to] Can't Post

And then when we have the pics of all the dwarves, we can better make assumptions.

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 12 2011, 10:09pm

Post #259 of 601 (24740 views)
Shortcut
I'm not understanding your distinction [In reply to] Can't Post

...between "ugly" and "not handsome."

Apart from saying that dwarves are shorter than men and stockier than hobbits (which Kili admittedly isn't), Tolkien really doesn't define a "dwarvish" look. So I don't see how anyone can say definitively what they do or do not look like.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

(This post was edited by RosieLass on Jul 12 2011, 10:10pm)

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2011, 10:10pm

Post #260 of 601 (24848 views)
Shortcut
Liv's concerns were caused/amplified by fan feedback. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really don't know if the fans were what ultimately caused PJ to reconsider, but at this point, it hardly matters: you can delete a XenArwen sequence, but you can't reshoot every single scene that features Kili. So unless they figure out some way to go back and digitally Dwarfanise him, we're stuck with the hunk.

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 12 2011, 10:11pm

Post #261 of 601 (24755 views)
Shortcut
It's my understanding... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that the "XenArwen" persona was eliminated before the fans ever knew anything about it.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2011, 10:12pm

Post #262 of 601 (24791 views)
Shortcut
But Christ is always portrayed as a handsome man [In reply to] Can't Post

Notice though, that they manage the handsome look even while he is very bearded. That's something that little irks me here. I understand they wanted to let Kili be handsome, but it wasn't necessary to make him pretty and shiny. Bearded men can look very good too.

As a metal fan I should know this. Evil

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 12 2011, 10:15pm

Post #263 of 601 (24743 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves are ugly because they are not Illuvatar's children. [In reply to] Can't Post

They are imperfect creations of Aule. Not ugly, but they certainly shouldn't compare to the beauty of elves...

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2011, 10:19pm

Post #264 of 601 (24811 views)
Shortcut
Actually, Kili being handsome is not the problem here [In reply to] Can't Post

It's him being a wrong kind of handsome.

Fili looks pretty agreeable to me too, but he still keeps that Dwarven look.

Tolkien isn't very keen on describing his characters in minute detail (do the Elves have pointy ears, anyone?) but he does make it clear that Dwarves are short, strongly built and have beards. He doesn't say they're ugly. Now, this Kili here is tall, slim and pretty unbearded. That's the problem, not his handsome face.

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

R11
Lorien

Jul 12 2011, 10:19pm

Post #265 of 601 (24796 views)
Shortcut
Well now [In reply to] Can't Post

It has nothing to do with knitting. What it does have to do with is a number of women getting hot and bothered over a Dwarf! Yes, a Dwarf! That in itself should tell you something is not right... Dwarves are short and stout, with heavy features. I think it's safe to say that when you have a Dwarf women are swooning over, and has nicer hair than Arwen, something has gone off the tracks somewhere Smile.

ron

Muireadhaigh
Rivendell

Jul 12 2011, 10:23pm

Post #266 of 601 (24682 views)
Shortcut
I never said they should look the same [In reply to] Can't Post

but,,, they shouldn't be handsome. At least I dont think they should imho. They were not part of Iluvitar's plan for the earth. It has been a while since I read the story, so I can't go into it, other than to say, they weren't meant to be. They were created by an eager Valar who didn't have the skill to create a new race, hence their short stature and, in my opinion at least, their physical shortcomings relating to beauty.

Anyway, it's just my opinion.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2011, 10:24pm

Post #267 of 601 (24747 views)
Shortcut
Eh, NO [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwarves aren't "imperfect". There's no mention of them being any worse than Elves or Men in any kind. And they're Children of Ilúvatar too, because Eru adopted them.

They're short in stature, and strongly built to be able to survive the dangers of Arda Marred. That's the reason for their distinctive looks: that they would be strong, and because Aulë wasn't quite sure how the Children are *exactly* going to look like.

Saying they're ugly because they're imperfect is like saying they're ugly like Orcs are ugly for their fall of grace. In M-E, being úvanima and losing your beauty is connected to moral decay, and linking Dwarves to this is pretty insulting to us Dwarf-friends.

Sorry if I heated up, I don't mean to be mean. I'm just passionate about this stuff. Smile

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jul 12 2011, 10:24pm

Post #268 of 601 (24701 views)
Shortcut
I like them well enough. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I'm a little surprised at the look of Kili, it is nothing to make me stay out of theaters, cursing PJ all the way. Tongue

The attitudes they project from this one picture seem right for a couple of young dudes out to take back the ancestral home, etc. They look cocky, proud, sure of their skill, and if they are also easy on the eyes from a human female point of view, I can live with that. Cool

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 12 2011, 10:25pm

Post #269 of 601 (24661 views)
Shortcut
Excellent point. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although, to be strictly accurate, Eru made it all--even Morgoth and the Balrogs. And they wouldn't win any beauty contests.

Permanent address: Into the West

sharpened_graphite
Rivendell

Jul 12 2011, 10:25pm

Post #270 of 601 (24716 views)
Shortcut
Well, there's a certain archetype that the dwarves express.... [In reply to] Can't Post

They're miners, craftsmen, warriors, hardy and resilient folk. That already imposes certain traits on their appearance. People who lead hard lives (even young people) never looked well groomed and smooth faced the way young good looking actors and models do. And moreover, dwarves specifically embody the archetype of old age and its qualities, wisdom, stalwartness, irascibility. They're kin to Rocks and Mountains, the oldest elements in the world. They don't have beards for nothing. So even younger dwarves have to reflect that in their appearance in some way. These are the defining characteristics of the whole race. Of course it all depends on your decision of "handsome", and if it includes "dignified, noble and distinguished looking" than yes, dwarves can be handsome, if however it means Robert Pattinson from Twilight, than they most definitely aren't.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2011, 10:27pm

Post #271 of 601 (24594 views)
Shortcut
No, no, no [In reply to] Can't Post

Morgoth and the fire spirits were beautiful too in their original form. Only their moral fall from grace made them incabable of taking fair form. Eru didn't make them ugly.

sharpened_graphite
Rivendell

Jul 12 2011, 10:27pm

Post #272 of 601 (24662 views)
Shortcut
Well, we're actually in full agreement then. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just saying. Smile

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Jul 12 2011, 10:28pm

Post #273 of 601 (24845 views)
Shortcut
Or maybe someone in the PJ camp realised they're making a film [In reply to] Can't Post

and need to include at least one attractive main character. Just a stab in the dark...

In an ensemble of 13 lumpy dwarves I'm happy to "take the hit" as it were and have one good-looking one. Besides, has Tolkien ever described what a very young dwarf looks like?

* crunch *

Patty
Immortal

Jul 12 2011, 10:29pm

Post #274 of 601 (24762 views)
Shortcut
And there is a "hubba hubba" coming from the direction of Texas, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

Permanent address: Into the West

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jul 12 2011, 10:29pm

Post #275 of 601 (24803 views)
Shortcut
It would have been better had he been a little closer looking to Fili [In reply to] Can't Post

If you look at Fili he looks the least dwarven of the others (excluding Kili) but still maintains a handsome look and can still pass for a dwarf and I find him completely believable as one of the youngest dwarves. I would find Kili just as believable had they done something similar but the thing is that Aidan has too fair of a face. He has a much more "GQ" look than O'Gorman.

Maybe this is how he starts the journey and throughout the film his beard gets longer. I HOPE that happens.

Again it's not the end of the world but it feels like they are trying to put a male megan fox in the film (although Turner is probably 10,000 xs better actor)

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 25 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.