Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Fili and Kili
First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 25 Next page Last page  View All

Marionette
Rohan

Jul 12 2011, 9:35pm

Post #226 of 601 (26678 views)
Shortcut
I like all the dwarves so far [In reply to] Can't Post

Love this one, really couldnīt imagine Fili and Kili, but they are young dwarves so I think itīs OK.
The other dwarves look better "dwarvish" becoz they are the old ones.

Besides, they are achieving the goal of makind each dwarft DIFFERENT, and you can easily know who is who, that doesnīt happen thinking in the image we have from the book.

Well, I still find the first image (Ori, Dori and Nori ) odd, it looks like a photoshoped toys...

I am pretty sure they will all look wayyy better on film.

Hope to see the rest of dwarves this week.

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 12 2011, 9:37pm

Post #227 of 601 (26665 views)
Shortcut
Don't speak too soon!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm expecting Bifur, Bofur and Bombur tomorrow! You go making statements like that, you're asking for trouble :/

SF
The Shire

Jul 12 2011, 9:38pm

Post #228 of 601 (26697 views)
Shortcut
Rankin/Bass [In reply to] Can't Post

I was about to suggest the same thing.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2011, 9:39pm

Post #229 of 601 (26747 views)
Shortcut
I was waiting for your post, darling. [In reply to] Can't Post

And you didn't let me down. Wink

I'm feeling really sorry for PJ right now. 13 Dwarves without much of characteristics must be the most uncinematic thing to try to film. He was almost bound to do something wrong, and while I feel that Kili's looks are off as far as Dwarven looks are considered, I'm still not feeling any panic at all. Actually I'm pretty sure I'll learn to live with this.

And as I said before, this isn't anywhere near my worst case scenario. (Which is that the characters would be boring.)

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

DrDeath153
Lorien

Jul 12 2011, 9:41pm

Post #230 of 601 (26711 views)
Shortcut
I was almost stunned into silence to tell the truth [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to know you get a kick out of me having kittens thoughWink

Dr Death

adu
Bree

Jul 12 2011, 9:42pm

Post #231 of 601 (26683 views)
Shortcut
Relax guys... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, I was kinda hesitant as well, but here are the positives for me

1) My wife has suddenly found a reason to get excited about the Hobbit (she is not into the whole Middle Earth craze like us mortals)
2) They are young, you cant make all dwarves fat and unattractive looking :)
3) I am sure in the movie, when seen amongst their peers, they will be much much more acceptable.

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 12 2011, 9:44pm

Post #232 of 601 (26512 views)
Shortcut
You are evil [In reply to] Can't Post

I like that in a person. LaughWink Very clever!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Patty
Immortal

Post #233 of 601 (26764 views)
Shortcut
Quacking Troll, don't tease! [In reply to] Can't Post

okay, I take it all back.Cool

Hey, wouldn't it be great to get their pics tomorrow? I'm thinking it will be nearer the weekend.Crazy

Permanent address: Into the West

droidsocket
Lorien

Post #234 of 601 (26639 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

thats funny!

DrDeath153
Lorien

Post #235 of 601 (26687 views)
Shortcut
Oh come on- besides [In reply to] Can't Post

Countless directors have had to handle making twelve beardy apostles unique and recognisable, i'm sure 13 dwarves isn't that much of an issue.Laugh

Dr Death

(This post was edited by DrDeath153 on Jul 12 2011, 9:45pm)

Amigo
Bree

Post #236 of 601 (26585 views)
Shortcut
Why should all dwarves look the same? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not all people look the same. Why should it apply to dwarves? There are pretty people, ugly people, fat people, skinny people, stocky people, tall people, short people, hairy people, bald people. I personally don't want to see 13 Gimlis. Diversity is good and realistic.

Speak "friend" and enter.

rings7
Rohan

Jul 12 2011, 9:48pm

Post #237 of 601 (26838 views)
Shortcut
By looking at all of them together [In reply to] Can't Post

They're definitely going for the good, the bad and the ugly. Oh, and the HOT ones. Laugh

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2011, 9:49pm

Post #238 of 601 (26604 views)
Shortcut
I don't want to see 13 Gimlis but i also don't want to see 11 dwarves and 2 humans... // [In reply to] Can't Post

sharpened_graphite
Rivendell

Jul 12 2011, 9:49pm

Post #239 of 601 (26601 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but it's rather like... [In reply to] Can't Post

...having Arwen look like this: http://img2.timeinc.net/...ox/megan_fox300a.jpg for the sake of "character diversity".

First and foremost, character diversity doesn't require any of the dwarves to be good looking. So this is no excuse.

And second, even if they are so dead set on having a good looking dwarf, why make him look like a modern generic fashion model rather than an actual Tolkien character?

All I personally hope for at the moment is that the picture is photoshopped and airbrushed beyond recognition for promotion and marketing's sake, and that the actual movie Kili looks like a proper dwarf that belongs in Middle Earth and not a billboard above a highway.

little mouse
Rivendell

Jul 12 2011, 9:50pm

Post #240 of 601 (26520 views)
Shortcut
hello handsome [In reply to] Can't Post

I`m quite happy with their looks, where is written that all dwarves have to be fat and bearded?

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 12 2011, 9:52pm

Post #241 of 601 (26571 views)
Shortcut
pretty much every chapter of The Hobbit? // [In reply to] Can't Post

R11
Lorien

Jul 12 2011, 9:52pm

Post #242 of 601 (26633 views)
Shortcut
No generalization [In reply to] Can't Post

Simply an observation based on the explicit responses in this thread and the comments on PJ's facebook posting. My comment only applied to those expressing their delight for his hawtness anyway Angelic. There's really nothing subtle about it. It's something I would expect on a general forum like facebook, but to see it here is surprising to me because I always figured the members of TORN to be more the type to value visual authenticity over sex appeal. I mean, a dwarf that essentially has no characteristics of a dwarf and instead looks like human model? Sorry if you feel insulted by it though...

ron

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 12 2011, 9:54pm

Post #243 of 601 (26617 views)
Shortcut
Where does it say dwarf = ugly? // [In reply to] Can't Post

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 12 2011, 9:54pm

Post #244 of 601 (26541 views)
Shortcut
They'll all be in wigs [In reply to] Can't Post

For long shoots you stick your actors in wigs - it makes for easier continuity. I believe even Liv Tyler, whose hair is naturally pretty much like Arwen's, had a wig for LOTR.

Boardwalk in mangroves

Lunamoth
Rohan

Jul 12 2011, 9:55pm

Post #245 of 601 (26633 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien Ideals? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure what you are implying here, nor with the comment regarding hormones, but yanno, I'm just a femine with her knitting and such so what do I know about such things? Mad

I don't have any Tolkien ideals. He doesn't dictate my ethics or principles, thank you. He wrote some fictional books that a lot of people love, and they are good stories. And these are film adaptations. Just films. It doesn't change the content of the books. It becomes something else.

pacochoa
Bree

Jul 12 2011, 9:55pm

Post #246 of 601 (26585 views)
Shortcut
Kili's bow and arrow [In reply to] Can't Post

There doesn't seem to be alot of talk about Kili's cool, black bow and arrow setup.
I think this is a pretty good sign that Kili will be doing some awesome action moves (i.e. Legolas)

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 12 2011, 9:56pm

Post #247 of 601 (26545 views)
Shortcut
Perspective [In reply to] Can't Post

I reckon the Dwarves will all look more Dwarvish when perspective is taken into account - when Kili's standing only chest-high to Gandalf, he'll look like a Dwarf. I actually quite like these two, and would like to thank PJ for not carrying out the crime of putting Aidan Turner in heavy prosthetics. Cool

Seriously, I think there's some interesting design decisions going on, and I can't wait to see it all realised together on screen.

Boardwalk in mangroves

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2011, 9:57pm

Post #248 of 601 (26624 views)
Shortcut
Where does it say hunky dwarf = hunky human? Different races, different ideals of beauty... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jul 12 2011, 9:58pm

Post #249 of 601 (26591 views)
Shortcut
Whoa...not what I was expecting. This is going to go well around here...// [In reply to] Can't Post

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
--Walter Sobchak

Zizix
Rivendell

Jul 12 2011, 10:00pm

Post #250 of 601 (26546 views)
Shortcut
I thought Bard the Bowman had been revealed [In reply to] Can't Post

But it turns out it's a dwarf...

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 25 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.