Fili and Kili
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 25 Next page Last page  View All

Bullroarer
Bree

Jul 12 2011, 7:37pm

Post #101 of 601 (26979 views)
Shortcut
ohhhh, sorry mate but that was not the best picture... [In reply to] Can't Post

ohhhh, sorry mate but that was not the best picture, It really looks like Fili and kili have just been stuck on the end and they are slighty to far foward and inproportiante to the others,nice try though...

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us- Gandalf to Frodo

Bound
Rohan

Jul 12 2011, 7:37pm

Post #102 of 601 (26911 views)
Shortcut
I said it was rushed... [In reply to] Can't Post

Others will do a better job

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

Patty
Immortal

Jul 12 2011, 7:38pm

Post #103 of 601 (26932 views)
Shortcut
Can you lighten it up? [In reply to] Can't Post

See, I hate to be a complainer, but it seems like all of Middle-earth is getting the "dark" treatment.

I guess it's these old eyes, but there seems to be no color other than gray, with the little of burgundy (not red) thrown in.

Permanent address: Into the West

Bullroarer
Bree

Jul 12 2011, 7:39pm

Post #104 of 601 (26874 views)
Shortcut
ahh well... [In reply to] Can't Post

ahh well, doesnt matter, it was still pretty good

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us- Gandalf to Frodo

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Post #105 of 601 (26857 views)
Shortcut
One like this one would be great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately it does not include Kili and Fili: http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Dwarves.jpg

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

TheWhiteRider
Bree

Post #106 of 601 (26854 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Compared to Kili, Nori looks like a masterpiece !!

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2011, 7:40pm

Post #107 of 601 (26899 views)
Shortcut
That not all of them look like Gimli is not what most of us are complaining about, though. [In reply to] Can't Post

Nori or Ori doesn't look like Gimli, at all. Do you hear me complaining? Nope. But with Kili especially, they went too far, they should have at least given him a nose prosthetic, like Fili.

Boy i hope they hit it out of the park with the rest of the dwarves... Frown

Lorien

Jul 12 2011, 7:41pm

Post #108 of 601 (26830 views)
Shortcut
You're right [In reply to] Can't Post

In the dwarves clothes there is no color other than shades of grey and the rare burgandy.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

Bullroarer
Bree

Jul 12 2011, 7:42pm

Post #109 of 601 (26790 views)
Shortcut
Have another shot... [In reply to] Can't Post

Have another shot, just put them behind Dori and and little further back and it should then work,the key to doing photo's like this is so that the overalp to give the effect that its one picture, Good luck..

Lorien

Jul 12 2011, 7:44pm

Post #110 of 601 (26770 views)
Shortcut
You do it better than me! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't know where to begin!

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Post #111 of 601 (26822 views)
Shortcut
Exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm also a bit thrown by the lack of prosthetics here, especially compared to the other dwarves we've seen. They have less prosthetics, but they retain some dwarven features we saw in The Lord of the Rings—bulbous noses and pronounced brows. O'Gorman looks fine; his facial features look like a dwarf before all the hard living they love. But Turner, as people have said, has more of an Elvish look to him—thinner nose, narrow jaw. His body type is also more Elvish—lithe and tall. I wouldn't expect a young dwarf to be as thick as an old dwarf, but O'Gorman has at least that sturdy, rectangular look to him. Turner just looks too thin for a dwarf, especially with the proportions of the feet and the head.

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Post #112 of 601 (26684 views)
Shortcut
don't worry, folks [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In the dwarves clothes there is no color other than shades of grey and the rare burgandy.

That's just to prepare people for the movie's impending Teal Green Overlay.Sly

NAArP since 2011*

*Not An Ardent Purist

chrismortega
Bree

Jul 12 2011, 7:45pm

Post #113 of 601 (26893 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep. They obviously needed a 'Legolas' character to pack the little girls in. And I'm not saying that's bad. Frankly I surprised to hear so much grumbling about a 'hot' dwarf at this point. I would have thought most people knew this would be coming down the chain eventually. I pretty much resigned myself to it, and I've been waiting to see what it'd be like. Not too bad really if you ask me. Tastefully done.

"It was deliberate, it was deliberate..."

carrioncrow
Lorien

Jul 12 2011, 7:46pm

Post #114 of 601 (26856 views)
Shortcut
like it [In reply to] Can't Post

I was hoping that the dwarves in this film would be freed somewhat from the prosthetics that restricted JRD's performance and took such a toll on his health. But once the decision was made (as it apparently has been) to cleave to the visual palette established by Jackson's LOTR I feared it would add needless burden on the actors.

Here we see an honest attempt to have it both ways. It appears these young dwarves (and other young one revealed last week) will be the least encumbered and with the most expressive faces and the oldest will be, shall we say, calcified. I think it is an interesting take and a quite surprised (and happy) to see it.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 12 2011, 7:47pm

Post #115 of 601 (26778 views)
Shortcut
That thought HAD crossed my mind. [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, I wouldn't whine about LotR's new coloring so much if they hadn't DARKENED it so.

Zherkezhi
Bree

Jul 12 2011, 7:47pm

Post #116 of 601 (26750 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

... I agree with you! It definitely does make sense and I've come to a similar conclusion. However, I think they could look a bit more rough or at least not that dressed up to the nines, you know?

Then again, I think of the latest cover of Empire magazine: There you catch a glimpse of Gandalf which, I think, is rather unusual and differs from what we've seen of Gandalf before and after that (in images of The Hobbit's shooting). I believe that these promo shots probably convey pictures of these characters which are not that accurate or informative for that matter. You have to take into consideration that these promo shots are set up quite artificially (I know, the finished movie is also something that is artificial) and none of the actors will pose for the camera like that. These dwarves will be dirty and rough-looking and exhausted from their long trip. Let's not make a fuss about these pictures. I am sure, everything will look just fine, in the end...

(This post was edited by Zherkezhi on Jul 12 2011, 7:48pm)

Bullroarer
Bree

Jul 12 2011, 7:48pm

Post #117 of 601 (26717 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah i agree, they seem to be lacking the prostectics of the trade mark dwarf look ( the nose and ears), They just look like armoured up Man-childs and I think that if they at least added the prostetics, fattened they out abit and gave they proper beards, they would actually look really good. And sorry Dean, Rob kazinksy would have looked Ten Times cooler than you do...

sharpened_graphite
Rivendell

Jul 12 2011, 7:51pm

Post #118 of 601 (26701 views)
Shortcut
Wow, just wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

And not in a good way. While I can buy Fili, who actually looks like quite a convincing take on what a young dwarf would look like, Kili looks as if he stepped out of a shampoo commercial. And the sad thing is that Aidan Turner did look pretty dwarvish with a longer beard in those very first pre-production photos. Here he looks decidedly human if not elvish (beard notwithstanding). I think I could buy him as a dwarf had they given him a long drooping moustache that completely covers the mouth as well as a long flowing beard, both matching his hair, a larger nose and a somewhat more weathered complexion (at the moment he doesn't seem to just use expensive shampoo but also the best skin lotions Dove has to offer). Even if they're that determined (and probably also pressured by the stuodios) to have a handsome dwarf in there, there's a much larger leeway to "good looks" than "perfectly groomed fashion model". So Peter, if you're by any chance reading this, please make Kili more dwarf like, at the moment he isn't even convincing as a Middle Earth character, much less a dwarf.

(This post was edited by sharpened_graphite on Jul 12 2011, 7:59pm)

Bullroarer
Bree

Jul 12 2011, 7:52pm

Post #119 of 601 (26703 views)
Shortcut
I am sure, everything will look just fine, in the end... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope so, I really hope so...

DamienEngland
Rivendell

Jul 12 2011, 7:53pm

Post #120 of 601 (26742 views)
Shortcut
SOMEBODY PLEASE FIND AN EMBIGGENABLE HI-RES VERSION! [In reply to] Can't Post

If one is out there, that is. It was on both the other occasions

I can't believe I'm the only person here who wants to see one before making up his mind! Unsure

a) You don't know if there's no prosthetic work on his nose at that size image and b) all the other dwarf images benefitted hugely from embiggenable looks under the microscope for me hugely, as opposed to my first impressions from the smaller images which were always kinda meh.

======================

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jul 12 2011, 7:55pm

Post #121 of 601 (26824 views)
Shortcut
I'm not reall complaining about the prosthetics... [In reply to] Can't Post

.or even Kili's hair. or even fili at all. I don't really care that they are rather thinner. I just wish they could have put a beard on Kili. It didn't have to be a huge one, but at least one like he had in the pre production photos and the blog video. But I guess we will just have to wait and see.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Altaira
Superuser

Post #122 of 601 (26754 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps *you're* not complaining about the other dwarves, but I've heard plenty of "they should look more like Gimli from some folks. In fact...

they should have at least given him a nose prosthetic,

still sounds to me like many people have developed a paradigm, or formula,
of what dwarves should look like pretty much solely based on one character: Gimli, and woe be to PJ & Co. if they stray too far from that paradigm. Of course, that's okay. I'm just not one of you. Laugh I like the differences and, while I acknowledge Kili is more 'outside the box' than some of the others, it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I'm glad. EvilCool

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Rosebud
The Shire

Post #123 of 601 (26794 views)
Shortcut
yes he did [In reply to] Can't Post

Both with yellow beards, blue cloaks and silver belts. I think there is also some mentioning of long noses.

On top of all this there is of course the more generic descriptions of dwarves as short and stocky with long beards (including women). I think it's reasonably clear what Tolkien had in mind and its not this.

Some creative license is ok but this is a bridge too far for me personally. I'm happy for you that you can enjoy it though!

Patty
Immortal

Post #124 of 601 (26756 views)
Shortcut
You're not. I want one too. But I'm sure we'll get one... [In reply to] Can't Post

be patient. Wink

Oh, and I want the one being worked on that adds these latest two to the others. I wonder how soon it will be that they won't all fit onto a good high res pic? The Nine worked it, but we are talking 13 here, so I don't know...

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2011, 7:56pm

Post #125 of 601 (26811 views)
Shortcut
They have gone too far. [In reply to] Can't Post

The costumes and weapons are cool as always, and Fili actually doesn't look bad at all – the beard and the braids in his hair look nice and Dwarvish, and I appreciate the way they've retained the hair colour that was specified by Tolkien. Give him a bit of a longer beard and he's perfect. But Kili... where do I even begin? He doesn't look like a Dwarf at all! They've also severed his visual connection with his brother by giving him dark hair. Look at that brooding stare and dramatic mane, completely free from prosthetics and facial hair... This is a sad day – the 'Hunky Dwarf' hypothesis has been verified.

I fear for Thorin, I really do.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 25 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.