Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Production Video #2 from the set of THE HOBBIT, 8 July 2011.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 9 2011, 10:21pm

Post #126 of 147 (591 views)
Shortcut
If you check it out against the films... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I think the desk is arranged as it is at the beginning of 'Fellowship' when Bilbo is sitting at it. There's a matching vase of pink flowers and it looks very cluttered. You do see the desk again in 'Return of the King' but it doesn't have the vase of pink flowers and it's tidier.

reags
Rivendell

Jul 9 2011, 10:57pm

Post #127 of 147 (589 views)
Shortcut
Best 10mins since the last video [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 9 2011, 11:08pm

Post #128 of 147 (624 views)
Shortcut
Earlier Posts mentioned the Red Dots? [In reply to] Can't Post

In shot 7 "Riddles in Dark" if you look closely in the Lower Left there is Lazar Pointer-Type Device mounted on a Green Tripod next to the Big Leico Light with Barn-doors projecting Red dots on the Rocks. This to me is the Distanceing- Device to help the 3D artists at their Montors..to keep the Levels of 3D
BIGGER if they want? or smaller, if needed.

If you look around the Entire Screen cap they are in many Places even way back in the Background or High in the shot...WHY?, I think I know.
Distortion on purpose to add to the Creepieness of the Scene.

(Remember "the GET OFF the Road" Shot in FOTR? Or used agian in Shelob's Cave?)
It's a regular Camera Lens effect that is best described as "Lens Pull-in with a Zoom out?"

When we rig Big Rock&Roll shows, the Roadies need what is called "Precise Hanging Points, for many reasons.

Later in Andy's good-bye shots you can see peices of Highley reflective squares of RED Tape....another way in wicked Stagecraft to do this.

The advancement in 3D Filmakeing are making use of ALL these old "Tricksey, Sneaksy Devices....Leave it to PJ&CO who hired the BEST of the BEST!... to reinvent Filmaking..
Ain't it Great?...xoxoOB

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jul 9 2011, 11:10pm)

KAOS82
Rohan

Jul 10 2011, 12:31am

Post #129 of 147 (582 views)
Shortcut
just saw [In reply to] Can't Post

this time PJ is cooking deliciously, "a good begininning makes a good ending" Wink

TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA & NIENOR NÍNIEL

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 10 2011, 12:51am

Post #130 of 147 (554 views)
Shortcut
Is this gluggable yet? // [In reply to] Can't Post

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 10 2011, 12:56am

Post #131 of 147 (566 views)
Shortcut
I have been convinced for some time [In reply to] Can't Post

that the opportunity to reinvent movie making was the main reason Peter didn't higher a different director after GdT left. Of course there was probably considerable leverage applied by the financial backers for Peter to pick up the reins.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jul 10 2011, 1:04am

Post #132 of 147 (555 views)
Shortcut
good video [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of those wild locations look perfect for TH and that spikey set is most likely Dol Guldur, looks good. Andy Serkis looks like he might drop dead at any moment too

Patty
Immortal

Jul 10 2011, 1:30am

Post #133 of 147 (544 views)
Shortcut
Not to be tacky... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'll bet they offered him a huge bundle. 17 Oscars ?? Oh yeah, come back to Middle-earth and we'll pay you the earth.

Permanent address: Into the West

R11
Lorien

Jul 10 2011, 1:53am

Post #134 of 147 (541 views)
Shortcut
Did I miss something? [In reply to] Can't Post

How is PJ reinventing movie making Kangi?

ron

Bryan
Bree

Jul 10 2011, 1:56am

Post #135 of 147 (508 views)
Shortcut
Andy's chair was very dusty. /// [In reply to] Can't Post

sphdle1
Gondor

Jul 10 2011, 2:10am

Post #136 of 147 (539 views)
Shortcut
Sweet! [In reply to] Can't Post

Things appear to be going as planned. Man PJ and And S are tired. Time for a second wind.
That is a good sign...it means they are putting in the hours, the passion, the work, and won't sleep until it's just right. They are dedicated and going beyond the norm to make the best movies possible. They recognize how big this is and are going for it...

sphdle1

"You shall not pass!"

sphdle1
Gondor

Jul 10 2011, 2:28am

Post #137 of 147 (520 views)
Shortcut
These are all good signs [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we are in for something even bigger than before.

sphdle1

"You shall not pass!"

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jul 10 2011, 2:52am

Post #138 of 147 (542 views)
Shortcut
I think he means the overall impact they have. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just like LotR did sort of open up fantasy movies to a greater audience, and technology propelled a new era of action and fantasy forward. With WETA and the design crew they've got working on these, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new evolution take place.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
--Walter Sobchak

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 10 2011, 3:13am

Post #139 of 147 (508 views)
Shortcut
What I wrote was a response to Bombadil above. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am convinced the reason Peter took the job was not what he would be paid but how much new technology could be bought with 550 million dollars. It is the joy of exploring a new country. Of doing things better in new ways. The Hobbit has every chance of being a real game changer.

Photobucket

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 10 2011, 5:35am

Post #140 of 147 (516 views)
Shortcut
Thank you very Much, Kangi! [In reply to] Can't Post

My job daily works me behind the Scenes of many Local Theatre and Expo productions, and just the chance to see all Audio&Video Groovey guys in the Backgrounds, out of Frame makes this VideoBlog... so FINALLY REAL to me.

I have been semi-sorta kinda felt left out?
in the production of LOTR and NOW TH1&2..

but I'm not an International Crew Chief
or have a a Resume 8 pages long like many there.
Born in the Wrong Country/State of Colorado?
Too many people in California
would truely Laugh me out & off the Stage at a Crew audition.

That being said,
It's a WONDER to behold to see the many Fresh-Faced Youngin's!!!
who will Be Stagehand SuperStars!
in the Years to come,
from their Experience here.

I'm one of those poeple who watch ALL the Credits
to see who the Gaffer or BestBoy,
or Craft services Company that worked on it...
since they are, just like ...........Samwise Gamgee!
the True Heros of these movies.

Unusual Career Bursts? and Resumes will be flying people all over this World... after these Productions.
It will improve All Media and
as Samiwise the Brave said..."Show the TRUE Quality of their Charactor", the very Finest?"
xoxoOB

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 10 2011, 2:46pm

Post #141 of 147 (420 views)
Shortcut
These points make my theory seem even more likely... [In reply to] Can't Post

...of course the writing desk will be cleaner (and more like when Bilbo used it) before Frodo starts writing. And the dusty seat implies that no-one has sat there in a while (because they've been off on the adventure). I hope it's right, because it's the only way I can see it working without feeling like a forced cameo.

R11
Lorien

Jul 10 2011, 8:51pm

Post #142 of 147 (361 views)
Shortcut
I was just curious [In reply to] Can't Post

As to what it was that you think could make The Hobbit a game changer and reinvent movie making? The only new thing I have heard of that was being employed that is really different is the switch to the higher frame rate. And that is something that I suspect 9.5 out of ten people would not even notice specifically unless they were told about it before watching the movies. It's the kind of thing that I think would contribute to making the majority of people say, "wow, that really looked good" afterward, but not really being able to identify why they thought so. I was just wondering if there was something else that was really significant that might be considered major in a game changing way that I may have missed.

I do agree that PJ does seem to love the technical aspects of movie making and "getting his hands dirty" with the crew as it were. And I also agree that the opportunity to further line his pockets was probably not a major factor. In the end I think more than anything he simply realized after he got into the writing process how much his LOTR experience had meant to him, and he began to jones a bit to jump back into it whole heartedly with both hands again.

ron

(This post was edited by R11 on Jul 10 2011, 8:53pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 10 2011, 9:09pm

Post #143 of 147 (370 views)
Shortcut
3-D with dual Red Epics and Weta Digital trying to outdo itself for the Boss. [In reply to] Can't Post

High frame rate giving the whole thing a clarity and smoothness that has not been seen. And the most special effects that one of the larges server farms in the world can render. The best designs a gaggle of the best Tolkien artists can create. And the care and detail and amazing quality of each and every prop that is used in the production. It is going to be like LotR on steroids.

Photobucket

RaoulJ
Rivendell

Jul 11 2011, 5:42am

Post #144 of 147 (368 views)
Shortcut
"Lens Pull-in with a Zoom out" [In reply to] Can't Post

is called a dolly-zoom. It can be both ways - camera moving closer and 'zooming out' or the opposite.

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jul 11 2011, 8:32am

Post #145 of 147 (328 views)
Shortcut
I noticed Peter mentioned there might be another one before the break is over. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wonder if that one will be him answering questions from the fans? It would be much easier, and more practical if he just did it in front of a camera, rather than in print, where he might forget something. It doesn't have to be structured, and he doesn't have to take a lot of time out of his day sitting at a computer or laptop writing a bunch of answers to questions.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
--Walter Sobchak

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jul 11 2011, 2:23pm

Post #146 of 147 (297 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's Jacket [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was surprised that they didn't keep it green like in the FotR prologue, but it still looks nice.

I'd have to say I prefer Ian's Bilbo costume to Martin's new one. It doesn't look like they kept the brass button vest either, but until we get a clear shot, who knows?

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

(This post was edited by Pipe Dream on Jul 11 2011, 2:24pm)

namarie
Rohan

Jul 11 2011, 10:36pm

Post #147 of 147 (349 views)
Shortcut
If only I could be Sebastian [In reply to] Can't Post

I would carry that cup of tea everywhere Laugh

There is always hope

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.