Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
New Release: paperback edition of "Arda Reconstructed: The Creation of the Published Silmarillion"

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jul 6 2011, 9:07pm

Post #1 of 13 (1507 views)
Shortcut
New Release: paperback edition of "Arda Reconstructed: The Creation of the Published Silmarillion" Can't Post

Our good friend Douglas Kane (better known to TORN as "Voronwe the Faithful") is proud to announce that the paperback edition of his book "Arda Reconstructed: The Creation of the Published Silmarillion" has now been published. The paperback edition has revisions to the text and a slick new cover design (see picture). Better yet, it's available for half the price of the original hardcover edition. The paperback edition is currently available on Amazon here. Continue to read more for some great reviews of this 'must have' for every Tolkien geek, collector and scholar.

Douglas Kane minutely details the delicate task Christopher [Tolkien] undertook in stitching together elements of his father's oeuvre . . . . Kane's textual scholarship is rigorous and is a model not only for Tolkien scholars but for scholars of more canonical authors, whose textual study is often pursued with less enthusiasm. . . . [An] absorbing study." - Nicholas Birns, Tolkien Studies: An Annual Scholarly Review, Vol. 5

"One marvels at the amount of work Kane has invested in his project and appreciates the rigor with which it is documented. . . [A] meticulously researched and valuable new reference work (one of all too few) on The Silmarillion . . . it has the added benefit of approaching the work from the relatively new angle of considering Christopher's role as a vigorous editor, and Kane is to be congratulated for confronting the matter directly." - Jason Fisher, Mythlore (the Journal of the Mythopoeic Society)

"Douglas Kane reveals, in even more detail than has previously been available, the complexity of The Silmarillion; and in doing so, also brings into focus the intractable problems Christopher Tolkien faced in making its publication a reality in a form that reflected the "Silmarillion" material in all its breadth and depth. . . Arda Reconstructed is highly illuminating and very enjoyable to read, shedding much light on The Silmarillion." - Brian Henderson, The Tolkien Library

"Arda Reconstructed . . . is probably the most extensive analysis of The History of Middle-earth so far undertaken." - The Literary Encyclopedia

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Jul 7 2011, 8:03am)

Patty
Immortal

Jul 7 2011, 7:20am

Post #2 of 13 (325 views)
Shortcut
That cover art is awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Again, many congratulations, VtF! Your expertise is a real asset to the board.Smile

Permanent address: Into the West

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 7 2011, 10:23am

Post #3 of 13 (395 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! Well done, VtF! [In reply to] Can't Post

*races to Amazon* I'm so impressed and grateful for this! The Sil has always had a tinge of a mystery to me on how it came to be, how long Tolkien laboured over it and what Christopher Tolkien went through to bring it to my shelf. This will explain it all!!!

Well Done!!! :D Gorgeous!

*whispers... I added you book's artwork to the Amazon link... hope that's okay ;)*

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jul 7 2011, 10:29am)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 7 2011, 1:14pm

Post #4 of 13 (275 views)
Shortcut
That's awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Gramma! I have been pleading with the publisher for weeks to get that image up there, and there has been some weird glitch. I haven't been able to figure out how to do it myself, so I'm very grateful to you for doing it!

And of course I am extremely grateful to the crew here at TORN for posting the announcement on the main page!

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Jul 7 2011, 1:57pm

Post #5 of 13 (256 views)
Shortcut
This is an excellent work... [In reply to] Can't Post

...though I already purchased the hardcover!

Here is my amazon review:

"I have purchased the book, and completed reading it over two days. A masterful synthesis and analysis. What is so impressive to me is the clarity with which the author treats a subject that could have so easily coagulated into a dense morass in less expert hands.

Congratulations. One of the best books on Tolkien, and the editing process, I have read in a long while."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 7 2011, 7:15pm

Post #6 of 13 (260 views)
Shortcut
It's so exciting!!! :D *high five* // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 7 2011, 8:33pm

Post #7 of 13 (253 views)
Shortcut
I love the cover art, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

And one of the things that I'm most pleased about the new release is that the black and white illustrations in the text are quite a bit crisper than in the hardcover edition!

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 8 2011, 1:10am

Post #8 of 13 (252 views)
Shortcut
Go Voronwe! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's great to see a nice guy do well! Now, more folks will get to enjoy all your hard work -- congrats!

Weaver

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 8 2011, 2:17am

Post #9 of 13 (243 views)
Shortcut
Now I have no excuse for not owning it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I will add the hard cover in to the Kangi Tolkien Library in time. First I want to see what you got to say.Sly

CONGRATS! I hope it becomes a best seller.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 8 2011, 2:24am

Post #10 of 13 (241 views)
Shortcut
I know, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

from the little I've gleaned of VtF over the years here at TORn (and more recently at his Tolkien site, Hall of Fire) I really want to read this book. And who knows it might inspire me to take another stab at the Sil (and maybe finish it this time!)

Actually the idea that Arda Reconstructed works as a model for textual study and the editing process is impressive in its own right.

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Jul 8 2011, 2:35pm

Post #11 of 13 (203 views)
Shortcut
Now I no longer have any excuses not getting ! [In reply to] Can't Post

WinkAnd I have wanted to buy it a long time and have heard great things about it !Smile

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 8 2011, 3:03pm

Post #12 of 13 (218 views)
Shortcut
I've been trying to plod through the Silmarillion again this year. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe I should read this book, first.

*plods over to Amazon.com...*

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2011, 5:55pm

Post #13 of 13 (242 views)
Shortcut
I foresee a trip to Amazon.com in the near future ... [In reply to] Can't Post

*clicks on link*

And it's even eligible for Free Super Saver Shipping!

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.