Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Nazgul vs Istari

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Jul 5 2011, 8:27pm

Post #1 of 10 (1381 views)
Shortcut
Nazgul vs Istari Can't Post

In terms of numbers the Istari are outnumbered but I think they could win as long as they have their staffs with them! This battle would include Gandalf the White.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Jul 6 2011, 1:33am

Post #2 of 10 (528 views)
Shortcut
It really depends upon fate, in my opinion. If it were closer to Sauron's [In reply to] Can't Post

Defeat I would be by the Istari. Other than that I'm not too sure.

From the small amount of Tolkien's work that I have read there isn't much info on either race's full power/abilities. I understand, of course, that the Nazgūl are technically men but, the power of their rings hasn't been fully told. Therefore I find it difficult to decide who the winner might be.

Hmmm...Evil

Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing they evidently prefer.

I'm a user. I'll improvise. -Sam Flynn, TRON: Legacy

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Jul 6 2011, 1:48am

Post #3 of 10 (632 views)
Shortcut
Fight in the day [In reply to] Can't Post

Istari. Fight at night, Nazgul.

Pedich Edhellen? Lau? Hria cuilė.

End of line.

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jul 11 2011, 1:50pm

Post #4 of 10 (854 views)
Shortcut
Istari [In reply to] Can't Post

The Istari are Maiar, of the lesser Valar, each of them is, in theory, as powerful and equivalent to Sauron. The Nazgūl are only corrupted men, who, in spite of being powerful, are only minions to Sauron.

Let's put it this way: Gandalf's contained and restrained power beat the Nazgūl's fully unleashed.

It's a question of cosmogonical hierarchy, you know? Wink

Visit Mexico from A to Z! Index to the whole series here.
Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

(This post was edited by Compa_Mighty on Jul 11 2011, 1:50pm)

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Jul 22 2011, 11:18pm

Post #5 of 10 (754 views)
Shortcut

I've always thought of Gandalf, Radagast and Saruman as reinterpretations of Odin, Vili and Ve.

As shades of men The Nazgul seem like they could be easily dispatched by the more 'god'-like Istari.

TheNazgul
Rivendell

Jul 24 2011, 12:04am

Post #6 of 10 (414 views)
Shortcut
i guess im gonna have to be the bad guy here and vote for myself [In reply to] Can't Post

Nazgul!

Dalamar:"so as you can see Queen Takhisis has returned."
Palin:"challenge accepted!"Photobucket

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 26 2011, 7:48pm

Post #7 of 10 (469 views)
Shortcut

Radagast gives WiKi the choice of weapons while reserving the right to choose the time of the match. WiKi chooses huge honking morning stars at ten paces. Raddy elects to hold the match at high noon. Since Nazgul tend to get confused and wander by day, WiKi gets lost and doesn't show up and Rad the Brown wins by default!

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
We sang as the soft gold of Laurelin
And the bright silver of Telperion,
Brought forth the dawn of the world.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
In my torment I kept faith,
And I waited.
But you never came.
And when I returned you drew sword,
And when I called your names you drew bow.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
I will return your hatred,
And I am hungry.

Jonathan the Elf
Rivendell

Jul 29 2011, 9:31pm

Post #8 of 10 (653 views)
Shortcut

If one Istari can destroy a Belrog then I imagine they could over power the nine even Aragorn could scar away some of them. And Saramon or rather Saramon as he should have been sent the Nazgul riding a fell beasts flying away.

Jonathan the Elf (fan)

“How shall a man judge what to do in such times? Yea ask. As he ever has judged, good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another thing among . It is a man’s part to discern them, as much as in the Golden woods an in his own house” said Aragorn

Barahir'sRing

Sep 12 2011, 12:52am

Post #9 of 10 (822 views)
Shortcut
Istari no doubt at all [In reply to] Can't Post

Without a doubt the Istari not even a contest

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Dec 29 2013, 3:24pm

Post #10 of 10 (79 views)
Shortcut
istari [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.