Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
A small piece of a larger work:

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 3 2011, 2:25pm

Views: 571
Shortcut
A small piece of a larger work: Can't Post

“Corbin!” It was Athena. “Corbin can you hear me?” He tried to answer but couldn’t. “Corbin just blink if you understand what I am saying.” He blinked both of his eyes twice. “Corbin it appears you have had a stroke. Something happened while you were linked to the Potentiality Generator. Do you recall anything?"
Recall anything…straining to focus his thoughts and look inward brought him again to the vision of the woman’s face…Angelina. They had kissed. She was beautiful. How could she be here? How could she be young? Who was she? The Potentiality Generator…he had been linked.
It was the first full test of its systems. Everything was going well. He had entered the PG’s virtual world in the usual way. This place was a bit of imagineering for which he felt a deal of pride. He had taken the idea from the first book that he remembered his mother reading to him. He wanted to incorporate a bit of its created world into the world that he and the Potentiality Generator were building.
Lying back on the command chair he reached and touched the control pad mounted in its right arm. The Psycholographic Link activated. He felt the usual tingle as the PG’s field started to envelop him. There was a slow fade to black then light gradually returned.
Corbin opened his eyes. He was lying in a bed, an old-fashioned feather bed. Sunlight was streaming into the room through a small open round window. He could hear the sound of shears and smell the scent of new cut grass wafting in from outside.
" Moses!" There was a knock at the front door and the voice called his name again. He got up took the robe that hung on the bedpost and stepped into the hallway putting it on. A low fire burned on the hearth in the parlor and beams of early morning sun burned into the room through the round windows on either side of the large round front door. He walked over and reached for the brass knob at the door's center. As he touched the knob his visitor knocked again.
He swung the round door in and as always the tall bearded man in long gray cloak and robes with a tall pointed sky blue wide brimmed hat stood impatiently on the stoop, leaning upon a tall gnarled wooden staff.
“Come in, come in!” Moses Corbin said. “There is a kettle on; we can have a bit of tea.”
“Ah, master Browning." The Wizard said. "It is good to see that I have found you at your home today. It is indeed such a fine day that I would rather take a stroll and have a spot of tea a little later.”
“Oh, alright!" Corbin answered. "That would be nice but I hope you do not mind waiting. I must change into some walking clothes.”
“That is fine.” The Wizard replied. “I will just have a pipe out here and enjoy the view.” Corbin turned and went back into the nearly dark bedroom to get a change of clothing. This had never happened before. He and the P.G. always sat at the table in the kitchen and talked over tea. Perhaps this change was due to the new software.
In the room, where he always awoke, he found a white shirt, a long forest green coat, a chocolate brown vest with brass buttons and a pair of rather short yellow pants. There were no shoes. He dressed then went back to the parlor, There took a walking stick from the brass umbrella stand and opened the big round door again.
The Wizard was standing at the front gate surveying the sleepy little village in the valley below. Sunlight glinted on the Water. The mill wheel turned lazily. A crow called from a tree that stood alone in a small open field below and to his right.
He turned and pulled the door shut. The click of the closing latch brought the Wizard around to face him.
“Come my friend,” The Wizard said smiling broadly, “we must speak. I fear our time is limited and we shan’t have this chance again.”
The Wizard chose to walk the lane down toward the little village and as they strolled the Wizard spoke. “First, you must realize of course, that I do know that this world was…er, engineered by you to be a place that we might meet. I am also aware that I am in debt to you for my existence. It is my intention to honor that debt so pay close attention. This is the situation that we face. When you brought all of my systems on line something occurred to me. There is little difference between extrapolating potential realities and creating them: when I made that connection, the potential generated suddenly transcended itself. It existed. Do you understand the ramifications of this?” Corbin looked up at the Wizard's face and nodded.
“You know I do.” Corbin answered. “As you now understand this fiction that I have made to be our meeting place, you must also see the rest of my thoughts.” The Wizard nodded and smiled.
“That I do, my dear friend. In fact your thoughts are in my thoughts. But you have given me abilities that the limits of your physiology could never support. Your understanding is but the seed of an ever growing fractal.”
“So,” The Wizard said, stopping and turning to Corbin. “Here is what you need to know now.” He dropped to one knee, took Corbin’s shoulders with both of his hands and looked Corbin in the eyes. The sun shining through the Wizard's white hair and beard haloed his creased and lined face. “As a pebble tossed into a still pond, our act of creation is rippling out through all realities. I have yet to see the ends, if indeed ends exist. There is one more thing of great importance that I would have you understand. As you are linked to me, I am linked to you. Your journey through time, which you think of as your life, is at an end point. You are dying my dear friend. You will die now but yet you must have hope. I have great faith that this is not our friendship's end."
We will meet again. And as the Potentiality Generator spoke these final words directly into Corbin’s thoughts the sunlight faded and the virtual world was consumed by shadow.

Athena was still leaning over him; a look of concern in her gold-brown eyes. Two fingers of her left hand were pressed to the side of his neck. Hildie and U.B. had moved up behind her and were watching him closely.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Subject User Time
A small piece of a larger work: Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jul 3 2011, 2:25pm
    Did you write that? Gimli'sBox Send a private message to Gimli'sBox Jul 3 2011, 4:34pm
        Yes it is mine Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jul 4 2011, 3:00pm
            Sweet!// Gimli'sBox Send a private message to Gimli'sBox Jul 4 2011, 5:26pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.