Woohoo! It's Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 1 2011, 8:20pm

Post #176 of 246 (628 views)
Shortcut
Uneeda [In reply to] Can't Post

tupperware mailbox lol. What did OH do to anchor this beauuuuty:)? I would bend the bolts over or cover the threads with apoxy.

Take your motorscooter or put bikes in your vehicle:). You can whiz in and out.

Wishing you the sameSmile.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 1 2011, 9:27pm

Post #177 of 246 (655 views)
Shortcut
Hi all! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Altaira for the webcam again. It was fun sitting up there in the breezes taking the view with those guys.

There is a couple of things to report. Mrs. sil's father has a tumor in his throat and they are still in process on how to deal with it. We are waiting for info which is slow coming. He is 87 and in his usual good spirits and alert mind. He has trouble swallowing but he getting by. He still gets out to use his scooter around the yard.

On a lighter note young sil got a haircut, finally. Only they took it all off the sides and left it on top in a strip. I said i only wanted to pay 2/3 of the price....No, just kidding, he wanted a mohawk for the summer so i let him have it. I also let him have it by saying stuff like:

"How!"
"You big brave. Have many scalps?
"You on war party?

All he can do is laugh and shake his head because it is a par/usual my goofing around like that.

We are trying to get in shape but the younger one is doing a better job of it. I squeak when i run and he doesn't.

One more thing: the wife gave me a warningShocked, no not that kind of warningMadLaugh. She said she got wind at work of a MUY MALO virus that comes in by email disguised as a postcard from Hallmark. A word to the wise.

Have a lovely longer(hopefully)weekend guys. You deserve it!

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Jul 1 2011, 10:39pm

Post #178 of 246 (615 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry to hear about [In reply to] Can't Post

Mrs. Sil's dad. Hope he gets better soon.

That is so cool that your son got a Mohawk! I had a Mohawk for a couple months this year and I'm getting it cut again on Monday. Pretty excited.Smile

Pedich Edhellen? Lau? Hria cuilë.

End of line.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 1 2011, 11:23pm

Post #179 of 246 (596 views)
Shortcut
I'm so sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

about your Dad-in-law. That's really very scary. Is there a prognosis yet? Please do keep us posted.Unsure

Tell Sil the Younger this should cut at least 2.5 seconds of his triatholon time (nothing like getting ahead Angelic).

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jul 1 2011, 11:47pm

Post #180 of 246 (647 views)
Shortcut
Best wishes to Mrs Sil's father... [In reply to] Can't Post

At that age ANYthing is serious so I hope all passes well!

My boy has had 'pseudo-mohawk' as a haircut before - the barber left about 3/8" or so on the sides and then shaped the top by gelling the tophair to the mohawk point.

I'd go all dork on anyone wanting a traditional mohawk by enforcing (if a child under my tutelage) that they learn the history of the Mohawk Nation before allowing them to get it.

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 1 2011, 11:59pm

Post #181 of 246 (631 views)
Shortcut
Pinch me, I think I see sunshine. [In reply to] Can't Post

After a few months of rain we finally have a sunny Saturday! And tomorrow's meant to be the same! Hallelujah!

Happy weekend, everyone.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 2 2011, 1:12am

Post #182 of 246 (621 views)
Shortcut
What I wish we could do is . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

have a very sensitive pressure release. The moment something hits it, it flies off into the woods. It might get scratched, but it wouldn't get smashed. It would also cause grievous harm to the perp! Evil I suppose if the mail carrier closed the door too hard, it would set it off. I would also like a storage silo in the ground with an electric eye. At dawn, the mailbox appears and at dusk, it disappears! Sly

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 2 2011, 1:28am

Post #183 of 246 (591 views)
Shortcut
You know, it is strange... [In reply to] Can't Post

After i looked at it a while i had thoughts of getting one myselfSly. But it would peter out a bit going rearward. I actually think i may have done it otherwise. It would have grow in soon enough.

So you too huh? Man, this is taking hold! Maybe the Mohawk nation is revitalizing:-D.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 2 2011, 1:35am

Post #184 of 246 (612 views)
Shortcut
Our main concern is lies [In reply to] Can't Post

with the biopsy. We should know about that soon. He has his 7 'kids' checking in on him.

He does appreciate the ventilation already, especially under a bike helmet:)

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 2 2011, 1:39am

Post #185 of 246 (598 views)
Shortcut
Thank you GAndy [In reply to] Can't Post

One day at a time.

Yes, i had to relate a little history actually ha

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 2 2011, 1:52am

Post #186 of 246 (634 views)
Shortcut
You have a worthwhile plan [In reply to] Can't Post

with much work involved but nothing good comes easy. I am impressed with your defense while you work on your offense. You are your son's champion, that's not in doubt.

Keep slugging GAnd, i have confidence in you.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 2 2011, 1:55am

Post #187 of 246 (630 views)
Shortcut
I am happy for your mom [In reply to] Can't Post

And i want to be happy about your skin reaction incident. What says the doctor gramma?

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 2 2011, 1:57am

Post #188 of 246 (615 views)
Shortcut
You know... [In reply to] Can't Post

A solar light somewhere there (no too close to the road) might be a good idea.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 2 2011, 2:06am

Post #189 of 246 (601 views)
Shortcut
Gad, don'tcha want to just throw [In reply to] Can't Post

these 'lectronic gizmoticmos' in the drink. I know i have had that urge. I have seem myself as a olympic discus thrower, only with a computer instead ha!

Have that goodly 3day-er to let loose a bit! Gizmos can be replaced.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jul 2 2011, 2:17am

Post #190 of 246 (613 views)
Shortcut
And to you, Ataahua!// [In reply to] Can't Post

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jul 2 2011, 2:18am

Post #191 of 246 (610 views)
Shortcut
Dork dads unite! hehe// [In reply to] Can't Post

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jul 2 2011, 2:20am

Post #192 of 246 (697 views)
Shortcut
Float like a TORnfly, sting like a GAndy! hehehe [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you! The only remaining piece of the puzzle is the financial aid and I'm working that now.
<In his best Gene Wilder voice> IT...COULD...WOOOOOORRRRK!!! <Cue lightning and thunder>

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 2 2011, 2:42am

Post #193 of 246 (617 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that's a lot! [In reply to] Can't Post

I figured that since you hadn't been posting much lately, you must have had a lot going on.

Is it possible for you to skip finishing the Master's and go straight to the Doctorate studies? Some degrees let you do this, and some schools let you do this. I could have only done one more year of school and a dissertation to get a Ph.D. at my grad school instead of getting my Master's only, and I would have ended up just taking all of the same classes I took anyway plus several other ones. It may not be the case for you, but look into it if possible. It could shave off some time and money, and when you have a kid to support, that's a big deal.

Courts. Ugh. What a trial. Wink I'm glad things went as well as they did for you, and hopefully with everything else, you can get your ducks lined up in a row and finally move forward, or at least sideways. Maybe diagonally? Or Diagon Alley?

I'm glad to hear your son is doing okay. I'm sure it's been rough on him, all of these changes, court, everything. But it's great to know he has a wonderful opportunity with school!

Sending you lots of good vibes!

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 2 2011, 2:54am

Post #194 of 246 (640 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... let's see... [In reply to] Can't Post

Funny kid story! Today, little Ian wasn't napping. He does this sometimes. Almost every other day, he doesn't really nap, so he gets some quiet time. Only sometimes he's not so quiet. Today, he spend almost the whole time calling me. Sometimes at a little whisper... "charlene?" Sometimes yelling at the top of his lungs... "CHARLENE!!!!!" Sometimes in a coy, flirtatious, sing-song way, "oh, Char-leeeeeeeneee!" He mostly just does this to get attention. His parents want him to at least have some down time even if he doesn't nap, so I usually don't go to him unless it sounds important or if he's being so loud that he's disrupting his baby sister's nap or his mom's much needed rest after chemo. So, he kept calling me in any way he could think of, and suddenly, he burst out in song, putting my name in any song he could think of. I had to stifle my laughter because it was just so cute and funny. His mom heard it too, and she started cracking up. I swear, that kid is too clever for his own good!

I'm suffering various aches and pains this week. Good aches and pains. I'm working with a personal trainer and it's going well. The first half of the week my abs and my arms hurt. The second half of the week, my armpits have been hurting. Yup, my armpits. Well, okay, it's probably related to the pectoral muscles or thereabouts. But I never thought I'd ever hurt there! Leave it to me to be entertained by having pain in muscles I'm not used to using because it seems comedic to have pain in that particular area. At least it's that good pain where you know you're working something that needs to be worked and you haven't actually damaged anything. Another plus is that my trainer is impressed with me! Apparently, the assessment tests I had to do so he could get a sense of what my needs are show me to be a lot more ahead of the curve than most people who use a personal trainer for the first time. Either it's because I have some pretty good muscles under that post operation weight gain, or I'm just stubborn as a mule and don't give up easily. Or I just have a good attitude when it comes to knowing that some things just take work, and I'm willing to put in the time. I'm looking forward to fitting back into my old clothes again!

I'm typing this from my mom's computer, by the way. My new laptop was doing this weird thing where I'd be using it and the screen would suddenly go black, like it was going into screen saver mode. I brought it back to the store, and they just gave me a new one. I figure, sure, that's fair, because I hadn't even had that other new one for a full month yet and was already having problems. But now, I have to transfer all of my info from my old laptop to the new one, and that's going to take a couple of hours. I felt a little vindicated when I talked with the tech guy at the store. I mentioned that the experience of buying that new laptop was unpleasant because the guy I bought it from was being kinda rude and pushy, and the tech guy knew exactly who I was talking about. Apparently he has a reputation for that, so I'm glad to know it wasn't just him thinking he could pick on me specifically.

So, now I have a new new laptop. Yay, I think? CrazyCoolLaugh

(This post was edited by taekotemple on Jul 2 2011, 3:00am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 2 2011, 3:19am

Post #195 of 246 (577 views)
Shortcut
They still don't have [In reply to] Can't Post

the results about that tumor? Here's hoping that it's something that can either be easily removed or somehow shrunk!

I actually did receive one of those weird "Hallmark" e-cards a couple of months ago! They're pretty obvious: they don't tell you who sent the e-card. And it's a file type (one that's un-openable on Macs), instead of a web link.

Master Sil got a...Mohawk? I hope you took pictures of that! Laugh A big concern, though: be careful of possible sunburn on his scalp! Crazy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 2 2011, 3:27am

Post #196 of 246 (637 views)
Shortcut
Ha! Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor [In reply to] Can't Post

What a wild and zany pair they were. Talking about laughsLaugh.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 2 2011, 3:40am

Post #197 of 246 (627 views)
Shortcut
That is my thought too. [In reply to] Can't Post

He is game but will see what the doc says.

Talk about ring-around-the-head ha! Yes, we talked about that. I will call him on it again tomorrow. He took a hat. Oh yes he went with his uncle to upstate NY for some dirt biking this weekend. He will be wearing a helmet much of the time.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jul 2 2011, 5:41am

Post #198 of 246 (603 views)
Shortcut
{{{{{{{{Taekotemple-sama}}}}}}}} [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you kindly!

I rather doubt I can, since the masters is in a wholly different area than the bachelor's was (bachelor's in Information Systems Management, Masters and Doctorate in Environment and Social Sustainability) but ya never know until you ask!

The interesting thing I've learnt about courts is inertia is even more prevalent there than in Nature, which is why when awful things were filed about me first - didn't matter that not one whit was true - the courts went with that inertial force until slowly, ponderously, the evidence finally reversed that inertia entirely and now it's just as unstoppable in my favour as it was against me before. Not fair and even with it rolling my way I don't like it (from strictly the aspect of it being inertia and nothing to do w/what's "right") but that's my observation of "justice" in the U.S. I'm looking at a quantum leap forward and it should be possible but we will see.

Maybe you can answer this but probably not - why is it that ALL the women on the dating site I use that are massively compatible w/me live in the Bay Area? Most annoying, that! LIP

The hardest thing is he's gonna be in his 4th school and only entering 3rd grade if he goes where I hope and he's said as much that despite all the really cool stuff (he went with me to check this school out) that he wanted to stay where he knew people. Hard to knock anyone, kid or adult, for that! But the school is on the same street as my college and if I'm lucky enough to find a place to live in that area (UGH! ANOTHER move?! Waaaahhhh!) I should be VERY set for that phase of our lives. Not quite the Potter-o-phile for Diagon Alley (which I could never escape overlaying on Diagon Alley Portabello Road from "Bedknobs and Broomsticks")!

Have had no 'news' on your front in an age as well, hope all is spiffy w/you and yours?

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jul 2 2011, 5:47am

Post #199 of 246 (586 views)
Shortcut
Ask and receive!... [In reply to] Can't Post

I mentioned news of you in my post immediately above and here it is! Thank you, and good skill on your training and good luck on your computer issues straightening out!

Be well, my friend!
GAndyalf

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jul 2 2011, 6:23am

Post #200 of 246 (828 views)
Shortcut
Bookstores. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would say it's the bookstores. It seems that in the Bay Area, specifically in San Francisco, we have more bookstores per person than any other city in the US. I think the percentage of graduate educated people is a lot higher than the national average here too. So I'm guessing if you tend to like women who are more likely to be well read and more educated than average, it could be a little easier statistically to find them in the Bay Area (of course, despite the fact that there are plenty of wonderful, well read and educated women all over the place, as can be evidenced by the amazing women who post here). It can also be that the Bay Area is a place with a lot of computer savvy people, so that could explain part of it too. I remember when I moved to Raleigh, and I was shocked that people hardly seemed to make use of Craig's List, whereas everybody and their computer-clueless brother in the Bay Area knows it's a great way to find jobs and loads of other things.

Anyhoo, I'm doing well. I have a free trip to Hawaii coming up in August, so I have much to look forward to! Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.