Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Empire Article Scans!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

eralkfang
Lorien

Jun 30 2011, 2:04am

Post #1 of 270 (3927 views)
Shortcut
Empire Article Scans! Can't Post

Turns out tumblr is good for something! :P A good soul known as shagneto on tumblr has scanned the Empire article with its accompanying photos. You may find links to all seven pages (plus the subscriber only cover) here.

squire
Half-elven

Jun 30 2011, 2:21am

Post #2 of 270 (2134 views)
Shortcut
Both good and bad [In reply to] Can't Post

Some wonderful instance of creativity and out-of-the-box thinking, so that the films promise not to be just a hypertrophic LotR II -- and a few eerie reminders that on some levels Jackson still doesn't particularly like or get Tolkien.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Voronw_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jun 30 2011, 2:22am

Post #3 of 270 (1975 views)
Shortcut
You da (wo)man! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much for posting these!

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 30 2011, 2:49am

Post #4 of 270 (1959 views)
Shortcut
Maybe I'm jus' a sentimential ol' Poop...but [In reply to] Can't Post

but I felt so good reading your Empire mag's attachtments..."I felt I was on set with my favorite people on the Planet?"...Thank you so much...
Now if I just can keep breathing until Christmas 2013,
I'll be okay.
These Movies
maybe
mean too much to me....
with most of family dead,
Tolkien's works is my only Hope,
there is very little I care about anymore,
except MiddleEarth.
xoxoxOB

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jun 30 2011, 2:52am

Post #5 of 270 (1955 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! Thanks for alerting us! [In reply to] Can't Post

So they've constructed an entirely new ravine-based entrance to Rivendell through the pass, just like in the books. That makes me happy. I lol'd at the description of Sylvester McCoy in his Radagast garb, "the entire hedge has taken up residence over his brow". Laugh We all know Radagast is going to be the hipster of the Istari. It appears that Peter is trusting the source material to carry him this time around. The "snot-gun" is indeed being used for mysterious purposes on Stage K. Also the look of the dwarves, as editorialized by the author of the article had me laughing. Love the descriptions of the Rivendell stuff. Elrond speaking Elvish again to the dwarves, and Thorin, Balin, Gandalf, Bilbo and Elrond in the library pouring over the map in moonlight, awesome.

"You know, I might talk to Warner about The Silmarillion"...Laugh

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
--Walter Sobchak

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jun 30 2011, 2:56am

Post #6 of 270 (2048 views)
Shortcut
I didn't get that vibe at all. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's a bit disingenuous to assume Peter doesn't "like or get Tolkien", since Peter's been trying to get The Hobbit made since 1995, and has fought tooth-and-nail to save it. If anything, this article seems to indicate that they are sticking much closer to the book than the ultra, die-hard, purists-who-lash-at-him-for-hair color feared he veer away from. The only time I cringed big time was the designs they were describing from GdT, bless his heart, I loved Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy, but for Tolkien...no, no, no.

--J.R.R. Tolkien

--Walter Sobchak

(This post was edited by Maiarmike on Jun 30 2011, 2:59am)

R11
Lorien

Jun 30 2011, 2:57am

Post #7 of 270 (1907 views)
Shortcut
Definitely thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was great reading. Really conveys a sense of the feeling in the production and includes a lot of details as well.

ron

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jun 30 2011, 3:07am

Post #8 of 270 (1999 views)
Shortcut
what the hell are you on about? [In reply to] Can't Post

of course he likes and gets Tolkien

LordMaximus
Rivendell

Jun 30 2011, 3:22am

Post #9 of 270 (1931 views)
Shortcut
Care to explain? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not entirely sure what you mean.

Is this is confirmation of Benedict as smaug and the necromancer?

duats
Grey Havens

Jun 30 2011, 3:28am

Post #10 of 270 (1972 views)
Shortcut
The way Empire worded it [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounded like Cumberbatch as The Necromancer was still up in the air at the time of Empire's visit.

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Jun 30 2011, 3:47am

Post #11 of 270 (1945 views)
Shortcut
Er... [In reply to] Can't Post

Are people not allowed to hold an opinion that is different than yours? That was a pretty insulting comment.

I think PJ likes Tolkien a lot, though I don't think he fully gets him.

As a friend of mine once said, PJ paints a Mona Lisa and then scribbles smiley faces all over it. He creates real beauty at times, but too often mixed with junk.

I am, however, REALLY looking forward to the more humorous tone. Here's to hoping it's done well and tastefully.

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jun 30 2011, 3:59am

Post #12 of 270 (1907 views)
Shortcut
no they're not allowed [In reply to] Can't Post

it was hardly an opinion, he just said that some things in the article suggests that PJ doesn't get Tolkien which is a stupid thing to say. It's not like anyone here actually gets Tolkien either

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 30 2011, 4:22am

Post #13 of 270 (1832 views)
Shortcut
I totally agree.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 30 2011, 4:25am

Post #14 of 270 (1851 views)
Shortcut
Please comment on the discussion, and not on the board member. [In reply to] Can't Post

You might not like the opinion, but we do require board members to remain respectful during discussions.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Saurons master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jun 30 2011, 4:33am

Post #15 of 270 (1830 views)
Shortcut
lol really? what was said in the article that makes you guys think that?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 30 2011, 4:40am

Post #16 of 270 (1832 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like K is the Mirkwood spider set, then. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jun 30 2011, 4:46am

Post #17 of 270 (1815 views)
Shortcut
Not sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

But the rather dubious way in which some people comment on some things lends me to believe that it's meant as nothing more than a dig/insult thrown at PJ, who apparently doesn't "like or get" Tolkien. Whatever that means. The least one could do is explain what they mean when they make a passively inflammatory comment such as that. Some of the passive-aggressive comments are a real turn-off sometimes, and I don't know where they come from, aside from lingering anger perhaps that his trilogy wasn't up to their standards. Which is absolutely fine, they have a right to their opinion, and to voice it, but to dig at him all the time is a bit unfair. It's particularly difficult when the vast majority of fans I talk to on the internet, or real life are so excited for the movies. I guess it probably boils down to if you didn't like what Jackson did with the trilogy overall, you're probably not going to like what he does with The Hobbit, as he hasn't changed his style at all. But if you do like what he's done with Tolkien up to this point, you'll probably like what he does with these films.

--J.R.R. Tolkien

--Walter Sobchak

(This post was edited by Maiarmike on Jun 30 2011, 4:48am)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jun 30 2011, 5:32am

Post #18 of 270 (1820 views)
Shortcut
YAAAAAY! About The Beard! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know this might only matter to a Gandalf obsessive/compulsive like me, but I am really pleased with the beard Ian, the good Sir Ian, is sporting. This larger scan is the best view of it I have seen close to "in full" and it seems to be slightly longer than it was in Fellowship, and thus closer to the description we get in The Hobbit and the way it should have been. It isn't "too" long, by which I mean, it is not so long as to be obviously more lengthy than what we see in Fellowship. It definitely seems to be subtle enough that if you were not specifically looking for it, you wouldn't notice any difference at all. But, let us say I was looking. . . and I like what I see! LaughSlyCool

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Ruijor
Rohan

Jun 30 2011, 5:46am

Post #19 of 270 (1780 views)
Shortcut
Nice stuff there, really a joy to read! [In reply to] Can't Post

Funny thing, a while back Hugo and Cate were supposed to shoot around August (at least that idea float around) but it seems Elrond is quite busy by now since hes shooting Rivendell scenes and thanks to Empire we now know that he will accompany Gandalf to Dol Guldur.

This article reminded me how bad I want another v-blog from Peter covering this first round of shooting... Tongue

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jun 30 2011, 6:15am

Post #20 of 270 (1749 views)
Shortcut
Great Thanks for the links! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was really good reading. A lot of encouraging news. . . a few potential concerns, but overall a joy to read. Again, thanks for the share.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 30 2011, 6:37am

Post #21 of 270 (1790 views)
Shortcut
Did someone mention The Silmarillion? [In reply to] Can't Post

Do I dare get my hopes up? BlushLaugh

RoseCotton
Lorien

Jun 30 2011, 6:47am

Post #22 of 270 (1772 views)
Shortcut
I would say don't get your hopes up. Sorry. [In reply to] Can't Post

Do I dare get my hopes up?

A movie (or movies) of The Silmarillion couldn't really cost less than LOTR and The Hobbit have, and it doesn't have the same popularity, nor (at least superficially) is it related to the other movies. In short, there'd be no Gandalf! Tongue

So, I don't think a studio would commit $500m to a movie of The Silmarillion. It'd be far too risky.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 30 2011, 7:40am

Post #23 of 270 (1734 views)
Shortcut
It's a wonderful dream.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... just don't wake me up, anyone!

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jun 30 2011, 8:23am

Post #24 of 270 (1740 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson likes Tolkien. And none of us can really claim to get Tolkien 100% can we? Getting Tolkien is very much in the eye of the beholder...

Tongue

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

Alientraveller
Lorien

Jun 30 2011, 9:40am

Post #25 of 270 (1702 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough [In reply to] Can't Post

The article notes PJ is not a Tolkien devotee, in the way Philippa Boyens, Howe and Lee or Daniel Falconer are, "King Kong was the small personal one, The Lovely Bones the risky attempt at something new", but in making LOTR and The Hobbit, PJ has shown far more dedication to Tolkien than most people ever will.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.