Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Empire releases new images
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jun 29 2011, 6:51pm

Post #51 of 120 (1006 views)
Shortcut
And a true Hobbit fan would get 3D eye surgery [In reply to] Can't Post

http://hahajk.com/...-3d-without-glasses/

little mouse
Rivendell

Jun 29 2011, 6:56pm

Post #52 of 120 (1011 views)
Shortcut
I want to see "snot gun" [In reply to] Can't Post

and "dwarf wedgie" could be included when Oin and Gloin are fighting

(This post was edited by little mouse on Jun 29 2011, 7:02pm)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 29 2011, 7:18pm

Post #53 of 120 (978 views)
Shortcut
It is now. [In reply to] Can't Post

The more clickable links, the merrier, right? Smile

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Jun 29 2011, 7:19pm)

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2011, 7:21pm

Post #54 of 120 (975 views)
Shortcut
Damn it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds as though del Toro was injecting a air of steam punk into the design and Thorin's helmet would have sprouted antlers (which was reported is another article).

I'd actually really like to see this.

Oden
Rivendell

Jun 29 2011, 7:39pm

Post #55 of 120 (980 views)
Shortcut
The "vagabond" dwarf look [In reply to] Can't Post

It appears that the dwarves are not dressed as richly as Gimli was in LOTR. This is as expected since they have been "homeless" and are trying to reclaim their home and treasure from Smaug.

Glad to see this differentiation.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 29 2011, 7:45pm

Post #56 of 120 (960 views)
Shortcut
Oh great. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin was nigglingly reminiscent of something, and you've just hit the nail on the head. Now how do I *forget* this before the movie opens?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 29 2011, 7:51pm

Post #57 of 120 (942 views)
Shortcut
Nah! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's that Klingons look a lot like Dwarves, like Vulcans look like Elves, Tellarites look like Orcs, Gorn look like Dragons, and Tholians look like trolls after sun-up.

If you think Tolkien copied a lot out of Star Wars, then consider Star Trek!

BTW, I'm beginning to like Armitage as Thorin just because I'm naturally contrarian.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Jun 29 2011, 7:53pm)

Jettorex
Lorien

Jun 29 2011, 7:53pm

Post #58 of 120 (1012 views)
Shortcut
Is it just me.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.....or does Bilbo look positively skinny?

- "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Runk Snusgrop
Rivendell

Jun 29 2011, 7:58pm

Post #59 of 120 (918 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease let that be a mohawk!

A Zangeif dwarf would rule hard.

chrismortega
Bree

Jun 29 2011, 7:58pm

Post #60 of 120 (1011 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf on the far left [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like a Mohawk to me... and that thing that looks like a shine on his head could also be a tattoo. That would be pretty cool... dwarf with a big Mohawk and a tatooed head.

"NEVER TRUST AN ELF!"

Bound
Rohan

Jun 29 2011, 8:03pm

Post #61 of 120 (997 views)
Shortcut
I've mentioned it before... [In reply to] Can't Post

In a post when the first photo of bilbo came out. People are caught up in the Thorin is too young / looks to weird / won't return my calls - that people think bilbo looks like bilbo. Now personally I think he looks fine, PJ's hobbits have so far been skinny (ish) bar Sam.

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

Laerasyn
Bree

Jun 29 2011, 8:09pm

Post #62 of 120 (939 views)
Shortcut
Hahaha [In reply to] Can't Post

People are caught up in the Thorin is too young / looks to weird / won't return my calls

Win.

'Good and ill have not change since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house.'

Zherkezhi
Bree

Jun 29 2011, 8:23pm

Post #63 of 120 (944 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I can only advise to wait until there are better pictures of Thorin. At the moment you can barely make out Richard Armitage's features. Also he is hooded - you cannot really tell how his hair and even beard will look like in their dwarvish glory

(This post was edited by Zherkezhi on Jun 29 2011, 8:24pm)

namarie
Rohan

Jun 29 2011, 8:29pm

Post #64 of 120 (900 views)
Shortcut
It could be something like this [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.carandcamping.co.uk/shop/Mens-Trapper-Hat-with-Ear-Flaps/prod_560.html

but made to look different.

There is always hope

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 29 2011, 8:44pm

Post #65 of 120 (886 views)
Shortcut
AD, you are an awesome observer! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 29 2011, 8:51pm

Post #66 of 120 (867 views)
Shortcut
He reminds me of Joxer [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, this guy: http://thetorchonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/joxer.jpg

I suppose it could be an arming cap, a quilted hat that goes under a helmet. Whatever it is, I suppose it doesn't bode well for our chances of seeing 13 colored hoods all lined up in Bilbo's entryway. Crazy

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

pulpfiction16
Rivendell

Jun 29 2011, 8:54pm

Post #67 of 120 (874 views)
Shortcut
I don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know what you're on about, but, yeah. All I'm saying is it being from a 3D film won't at all ever effect a screen grab, because it's two lens, capturing two different angles of an image, just like a regular movie. It's only when they're combined that they produce a 3D image. Thus, a film still captured from a 3D movie, would be from one lens, and thus look completely normal.

Yeesh. So many people on this site talk in riddles, or just really bad sarcasm.

marillaraina
Rohan

Jun 29 2011, 9:19pm

Post #68 of 120 (868 views)
Shortcut
huh? [In reply to] Can't Post

Where do you get a glass/wooden eye? Is this a joke I'm missing. :)

In Reply To
From left to right: Dwalin, Gloin, Nori, Thorin, Bifur, Bofur.

Only in this enhanced image does 'Bofur' look like James Nesbitt. And it appears to me that he's going to have a glass/wooden eye!

bookgirl13
Lorien

Jun 29 2011, 9:21pm

Post #69 of 120 (859 views)
Shortcut
I don't think he's hooded in that photo // [In reply to] Can't Post

//

marillaraina
Rohan

Jun 29 2011, 9:22pm

Post #70 of 120 (863 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure now they'll find something else to criticize. ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, his hair looks a steely grey to me, which I think is perfectly fitting, I always thought it looked like his hair had some grey in it anyway(I just throught they were streaks, which turned out simply to be low resolution artifacts I guess) so it's not a big change to me anywya.

In Reply To
than the image of ew...you can see now that the hair color of Thorin is definitely dark grey...so peace was restored...now i'm 1000% that these movies will be massive, epic, brilliant etc. i have no doubt for this...there will be more photos from the empire magazine tomorow...?

Zherkezhi
Bree

Jun 29 2011, 9:24pm

Post #71 of 120 (858 views)
Shortcut
Oh [In reply to] Can't Post

yes, I guess, you're right! mea culpa-

Well, anyway, you cannot make out his looks in their entirety

marillaraina
Rohan

Jun 29 2011, 9:47pm

Post #72 of 120 (848 views)
Shortcut
How can you tell? [In reply to] Can't Post

First off he's sitting sideways, for you know his beard is blended in with his hair, you can't actually see where his beard ends, even in the lightened picture. Because his head is turned, that could very well make his beard bend. Secondly he has more of a beard than the guy sitting on the right of picture next to him(who very much looks like Nesbitt now) and we can't see that he has any less of a beard than the two guys on the left. So I'd hardly say "He's got the least beard of any of them in the picture" when he clearly has more of one than Bofur and when you can't even see two of the other dwarves beards with any degree of clarity.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 29 2011, 9:48pm

Post #73 of 120 (822 views)
Shortcut
Who are "THEY"? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jun 29 2011, 11:02pm

Post #74 of 120 (766 views)
Shortcut
that was hilarious [In reply to] Can't Post

anway I thought that first pic was an official movie screenshot but I guess it wasn't since the background is the same in this one aswell

kiwifan
Rohan

Jun 29 2011, 11:03pm

Post #75 of 120 (768 views)
Shortcut
Those trousers also seem a little shorter [In reply to] Can't Post

... than the ones Ian Holm's Bilbo used to wear, but maybe it's just the way the picture was taken. The first moment I saw this new Empire photo of M.F. as Bilbo, I thought 'oh no, is he wearing bermudas?' and went to look at my LotR photo books. There's this picture (in two of them) of Bilbo standing under the Party Tree giving his speech before he disappears, and I could swear those trousers are longer. Or perhaps it's the cut of these new ones? Not flattering, imo.Unsure

Perhaps Bilbo only becomes a fashionable gentleman when he has plenty of money to spend on sartorial extravagancies? Or maybe fashion 60 years later was a little more elegant. Or could it be that I'm missing the Ngila Dickson touch? Unimpressed I thought her LotR costumes just absolutely marvellous and always exactly right. *nostalgic sigh*.

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.