Lord of the Rings Extended Editon Blu-ray review
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

reags
Rivendell

Jun 29 2011, 4:49am

Post #26 of 94 (3987 views)
Shortcut
Dang. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was at the shops an hour ago about to pick this up but held off...now with all the green tint, I'm even more reluctant Frown

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jun 29 2011, 7:45am

Post #27 of 94 (3968 views)
Shortcut
Guys I'm watching them now and honestly FOTR isn't nearly as bad as the pics show it to be [In reply to] Can't Post

First off TTT and ROTK look to be flawless straight updates from the DVDs. Perfect upgrade for those two. FOTR does indeed not have the exact same colors. It looks like they did a little tinkering with the colors in certain areas. Why they didn't do a straight upgrade with this one like the other two I will probably never know. But some of the color tinkerings are kind of nice.

In the battle of the last alliance you can see the gold colors in the armor shine more clearly. Peoples faces have a more natural color to them like in the scene where Saruman and Gandalf are on top of Orthanc. I'm not quite as happy about the dimmer glow during the council of Elrond but its really not that bad and I didn't notice it until I compared it to other scenes. The only scene that looks kind of iffy is when they are in the marshes just after second breakfast. The color looks kind of dull. But the shire doesn't look overwhelmingly green or too vibrant as others have stated before. It looks great.

Now this whole green "tint" thing is being wayyyyy overblown. Someone posted a link to pics and a youtube video showing the comparison. Let me tell you right now that those pics are definitely wrong. I compared each scene to each picture and they did not look nearly as dark on film. Someone darkened those photos. THE PHOTOS ARE NOT AN ACCURATE REPRESENTATION OF THE FILM.

Don't let all this crap discourage you guys. Is FOTR perfect? No but it still doesn't really look bad enough to complain this much about it.

Buy the movies and if you don't like them then just return it. It's sooo simple.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

(This post was edited by redgiraffe on Jun 29 2011, 7:47am)

reags
Rivendell

Jun 29 2011, 8:07am

Post #28 of 94 (3930 views)
Shortcut
Well.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just took the plunge and purchased it locally anyway, so when I find the time I'll watch FOTR and report back on the PQ of our Aussie version.

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jun 29 2011, 8:44am

Post #29 of 94 (3924 views)
Shortcut
I think you made a wise decision [In reply to] Can't Post

And again, I'm quite sure that you can return the movies if you don't like them. So I honestly don't see why people are so apprehensive towards buying them.

And of course, please give us your feedback cause you may have a different opinion

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Malveth The Eternal
Lorien

Jun 29 2011, 11:23am

Post #30 of 94 (3940 views)
Shortcut
Meh [In reply to] Can't Post

13 hours of interminable slo-mo close-ups interpolated with CG battles, and tinted heavily blue, green or brownish for long stretches. Not something I want to experience in Hi-Def :P

But I know I am in a minority here...

PS: I wasn't aware of the "tint controversy" when I posted this: I've been complaining about "digital grading" sicne The Matrix. In a word: I hate it!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/CarrotField/257960949766?created

(This post was edited by Malveth The Eternal on Jun 29 2011, 11:26am)

ElessarsOath

Jun 29 2011, 7:02pm

Post #31 of 94 (3907 views)
Shortcut
EE Bonus Features [In reply to] Can't Post

"So the bad news is, all this excellent, watchable content is still only in standard def."

They weren't filmed in a high enough resolution to allow high definition.

SteveDJ
Rivendell

Jun 29 2011, 8:33pm

Post #32 of 94 (3869 views)
Shortcut
Yes, PJ reviewed the changes, but that was before manufacturing to disk, right? // [In reply to] Can't Post

shadowdog
Rohan

Jun 29 2011, 8:36pm

Post #33 of 94 (3856 views)
Shortcut
Just watching mine now [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks to me as if the colors are just sharper and clearer. I don't think they changed the color shift, it is just more noticable in the blu ray mode because everything is sharper and clearer. The yellow shift was always there, just cleaner and clearer. Same with the blue and green colorshifts.

SteveDJ
Rivendell

Jun 29 2011, 8:37pm

Post #34 of 94 (3913 views)
Shortcut
How's about PJ's 20 questions facebook post? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe there needs to be a rash of "WHY" questions added to the 20-questions thread on his facebook page?

shadowdog
Rohan

Jun 29 2011, 9:09pm

Post #35 of 94 (3851 views)
Shortcut
I think we all forget [In reply to] Can't Post

That in Fellowship, Peter was creating a new world of Middle Earth for the audience. He used a lot more color shifting than he did in the later two movies. This can best be seen in the appendices for Fellowship. The HD version just sharpens up the colors and makes the original shift more obvious. I didn't see where the color was deliberately shifted beyond the original film.

Kendalf
Rohan

Jun 29 2011, 10:18pm

Post #36 of 94 (3861 views)
Shortcut
There have been MAJOR colour shifts [In reply to] Can't Post

@shadowdog
Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree. Understandably, it's hard to detect if you're just sitting watching the blu-ray but, if you can, try pausing and flicking between it and your old DVD. The changes are striking in places. The strong blue-tint inside Orthanc, the strong blue-tint on the snowy mountains, the luminous greens of the Shire, the murky and acidic colours of the "into the wild" section (including "second breakfast") and a general push on the colour teal (foliage, jerkins, banners, garlands, cloaks etc etc) throughout the entire film are all very, very present, very, very noticeable and very, very new.

Kendalf
Rohan

Jun 29 2011, 10:27pm

Post #37 of 94 (3836 views)
Shortcut
Using Facebook... [In reply to] Can't Post

@SteveDJ
Yes, a lot of people raised it in that thread (inlcuding myself) but to no avail and I suspect he'll have stopped reading it by now (he selected the 20 questions weeks ago before he answered the first one).

Maybe a rash of questions in the Comments on his latest announcement, the Hobbit Casting Update? Or wait for the next one and get in early?

Remember, there's always the Discussion thread, too. That's where the Official LotR page decided to respond to my thread on their page. Jackson has yet to do so on his, though...

shadowdog
Rohan

Jun 29 2011, 11:02pm

Post #38 of 94 (3855 views)
Shortcut
Well If Even You Admit It Is Hard To Detect [In reply to] Can't Post

Why is everybody crapping their pants over it.Frown I think it looks clean, crisp and beautiful.

ElessarsOath

Jun 29 2011, 11:15pm

Post #39 of 94 (3845 views)
Shortcut
DVD Color Comparison [In reply to] Can't Post

Comparisons to the color of the EE DVD shouldn't be performed because colors almost always change when transfers to the format are made and especially when things are re-mastered. But if we must compare, the DVD looks extremely bland and unpalatable.

(This post was edited by ElessarsOath on Jun 29 2011, 11:16pm)

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jun 29 2011, 11:19pm

Post #40 of 94 (3834 views)
Shortcut
Too kind, but thanks {NT} [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jun 29 2011, 11:23pm

Post #41 of 94 (3827 views)
Shortcut
Not true [In reply to] Can't Post

They were absolutely filmed in hi-def with the eventual hi-def home release in mind (by PJ).

1999 wasn't the dark ages.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Malveth The Eternal
Lorien

Jun 29 2011, 11:27pm

Post #42 of 94 (3818 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure that if you love the look of the films this is the best hard-copy version that'll ever come out. I like lots of color & lighting variation, so PJ's trilogy tires my eyes out.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/CarrotField/257960949766?created

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jun 29 2011, 11:27pm

Post #43 of 94 (3820 views)
Shortcut
He can't respond [In reply to] Can't Post

He isn't going to admit there are color problems on the DVD and I doubt he has or would take the time to watch them anyway. WB wouldn't be happy.

By the way, I enjoyed reading your detailed list of what you saw on the BD.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

ElessarsOath

Jun 29 2011, 11:33pm

Post #44 of 94 (3806 views)
Shortcut
You are incorrect. [In reply to] Can't Post

They were not. Do you have a source showing that they were?

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 30 2011, 12:05am

Post #45 of 94 (3803 views)
Shortcut
HD Content [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"So the bad news is, all this excellent, watchable content is still only in standard def."

They weren't filmed in a high enough resolution to allow high definition.

I think there is a misunderstanding here. The movie is presented in HD on Blu-ray. The bonus features are SD on DVD.

ElessarsOath

Jun 30 2011, 12:21am

Post #46 of 94 (3808 views)
Shortcut
No misunderstanding. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there is a misunderstanding here. The movie is presented in HD on Blu-ray. The bonus features are SD on DVD.

I am aware as I own the set. My issue is the complaint that the bonus features aren't in HD when they weren't filmed with cameras capable of outputting to HD resolution.

(This post was edited by ElessarsOath on Jun 30 2011, 12:22am)

ElessarsOath

Jun 30 2011, 12:32am

Post #47 of 94 (3749 views)
Shortcut
Economic sense [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't make financial sense to film those bonus features with 35mm cameras. It would be inefficient as well.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jun 30 2011, 12:33am

Post #48 of 94 (3869 views)
Shortcut
It wouldn't be the first time [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't mind being wrong, I really don't, and I will admit I was with a tip of the cap.

But, I don't think I am making an error in this case. My source is as good as they come but it isn't a public, documented article or link I am can whip out. I know that is a terrible thing to do and say on the internet.

But, and I am not trying to be annoying or confrontational or anything of that nature, I am quite certain the folks who filmed all that content in the first place have it in hi-def.

What makes you so confident it isn't hi-def?

*(Added) I see below that you mentioned it wouldn't make economic sense.*

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

(This post was edited by MrCere on Jun 30 2011, 12:35am)

ElessarsOath

Jun 30 2011, 1:30am

Post #49 of 94 (3798 views)
Shortcut
Not only economic sense but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not only from the economic viewpoint, but also because the look of the footage on DVD looks like it came from a DV camera. It's all good, though. When I watch them I'll just sit in my bed across the room and it won't look so bad. :)

Ezu
The Shire

Jun 30 2011, 2:00am

Post #50 of 94 (3795 views)
Shortcut
Costa Botes documentary [In reply to] Can't Post

I have not seen Costas documentary before I purchased this Bluray. When I started to watch it for the first time yesterday, I noticed it does not fill my whole screen. I have black bars on the top, bottom and sides, which reduces the viewing area by about 30%. Is this common with other users?
Also, regarding the FOTR transfer it certainly looks different, some of the colours seem to have a pastel effect (skin tones), however as mentioned above that may have always been the case and deliberate by PJ. It's just more obvious now in HD. Looks great though, crystal clear, great detail.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.