Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
'What Say You?' ~ Hobbit Movie Reports, Rumours & Rumblings ~ 11th Aug 07 ~ Two Directors?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Elven
Valinor

Aug 11 2007, 7:14am

Post #1 of 87 (1129 views)
Shortcut
'What Say You?' ~ Hobbit Movie Reports, Rumours & Rumblings ~ 11th Aug 07 ~ Two Directors? Can't Post

Quoted from TORN;s Homepage ....

The plot of 'The Hobbit' thickens
8/11/07, 1:45 am EST - MrCere Observant Compa_Mighty has now written in with more fresh Hobbit news. Word reached our ears months ago that Sam Raimi would direct "The Hobbit," but everything seemed to be in flux. In the last 48 hours word has traveled fast that Peter Jackson and New Line were at least on speaking terms. IESB.net is reporting (no source named so tread with caution) that Jackson and Raimi may be on the project. Don't believe everything you read but this story makes a lot of sense. It also seems that Bob Shaye may have been hinting at this yesterday when he said, "I really respect and admire Peter and would love for him to be creatively involved in some way in 'The Hobbit.' " Notice he didn't say he would "direct" the film but did say "involved in some way". Anyway, stay tuned as more clues are uncovered.

'What Say You?'

So how feasable is this story?
Are 2 Directors better than one?
What involvement would each have in the movie?
Is this a 'good' colaboration for the Hobbit?

Your thoughts Smile

SILVERCHAIRS Daniel Johns gets the crowd going at the 'Big Day Out Festival' at Minas Tirith before Denethors famous stage dive.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..*sing & sway* "All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...
"Your friends are with you Peter"

(This post was edited by Elven on Aug 11 2007, 7:15am)

Elven
Valinor

Aug 11 2007, 7:37am

Post #2 of 87 (505 views)
Shortcut
Report from IESB.net ~ 11/08/07 ~ Raimi & Jackson on the Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

SandWitchKing added this great link from a report by Stephanie Sanchez at IESB.net

http://www.iesb.net/...d=3042&Itemid=99

Although New Line’s Bob Shaye and Jackson had a much publicized dispute over “the green,” the LA Times recently spoke with Shaye and he had this to say,

Eager to move ahead with "The Hobbit," New Line has quietly been trying to mend fences with "Rings" filmmaker Peter Jackson, who has sued the company over his share of profits from the first "Rings" films. When asked if it was true that company insiders had been in talks with Jackson's reps, Shaye replied, "Yes, that's a fair statement. Notwithstanding our personal quarrels, I really respect and admire Peter and would love for him to be creatively involved in some way in 'The Hobbit.'"

All sources indicate that although Jackson won’t be back to direct, our source is telling us that Raimi is looking to helm The Hobbit with Peter Jackson attached to produce. Raimi has said in the past that he would not take on the project without Jackson’s blessing. Well, looks like he may have it!

SILVERCHAIRS Daniel Johns gets the crowd going at the 'Big Day Out Festival' at Minas Tirith before Denethors famous stage dive.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!

Rabittooth
Bree

Aug 11 2007, 11:00am

Post #3 of 87 (513 views)
Shortcut
Bah! [In reply to] Can't Post

I say Bah!
Phooey even.
This would be New Line's way of appeasing us "silly fans" who threatened a boycott of any film without PJ, and still lets Shaye save face.
Jackson should Direct too, not just Produce.
Gimme a break.

I hope it's unture, but unfortunately, it smacks of the type of thing these Hollywood suits would concoct.

Crazy

-Rabittooth

www.rabittooth.com

kareniel
Lorien

Aug 11 2007, 11:45am

Post #4 of 87 (491 views)
Shortcut
What say I? [In reply to] Can't Post

I say, "Phoooooey!" I'm in the camp that wants continuity between two prequel films and The Lord of the Rings. And I want real continuity: same actors (where possible), same creative team, same composer, same December release, same packaging of DVD's, and, most importantly, the same director!

fmaximus
Rivendell

Aug 11 2007, 2:50pm

Post #5 of 87 (491 views)
Shortcut
Producer vs Director ? [In reply to] Can't Post

It depends I guess. Who has more power and influence in the making of a movie. Producer or Director?
If PJ as producer means that he will oversee every aspect of the making of the film... I'm ok with that.
Otherwise I think it's a bad idea.

Elven
Valinor

Aug 11 2007, 4:17pm

Post #6 of 87 (511 views)
Shortcut
2 Films? 2 Directors? 2 much? [In reply to] Can't Post

Two huge names Jackson and Raimi.
Two supposed/proposed films connected to the Hobbit.
I wonder if the proposal is 2 Directors? One each? Co Directors? One Project? Two?

Either way, alphabetical or not, I'd certainly prefer to see Jacksons name first on the screen (besides the title) ... under the heading Director ...
As long as they have the best of the best to follow that ...

There has been some speculation about Raimis involvement for a while, but never confirmed ... so this is a stetch of assumption ... though not completely out of the question ... but I think New Line has been doing some preparation during the time since Shaye's outburst about Peter being involved with the Hobbit.

Raimis response has seemed to me to be politely cautious and treading lightly throught the mines of questions about the Hobbit - they seemed personal responses not anything which you could draw a definite conclusion upon. Though there is a bench mark, and some high expectations riding on the Hobbit as well.

The other consideration here is Fran and Phillipa!!
The LoTR colaboration was a spectacular team.
I hope they have substantial involvement!
I think it would be difficult to create the Hobbit script without having an intimate knowledge of how/why the LoTR script was sculpted the way it was, with its associated Hobbit bits in there. Then again, Im not a script writer, and am lucky to get a post together Wink

This will be interesting to watch ... maybe the report isnt too far fetched ... but maybe the collaboration isnt Raimi but someone else?

Just some thoughts

Heart
Elven x

Tolkien was a Capricorn!

Ecthel
The Shire

Aug 11 2007, 5:43pm

Post #7 of 87 (469 views)
Shortcut
blah [In reply to] Can't Post

I was hoping for a proper film for the Hobbit, but now I see that'll never happpen.

It's bad enough PJ is being considered again, but its even worse that the only other name being thrown out their is Sam Raimi...

"Lets go with overrated director #1. Oh wait, we hate him cause he wants more money. No wait, lets go with overrated director #2! Oh wait, lets combine them into the ultimate director/producer hack combination Hollywood has ever seen!"

diedye
Grey Havens

Aug 11 2007, 5:57pm

Post #8 of 87 (433 views)
Shortcut
Ugh... [In reply to] Can't Post

Why can't it be the other way around?! I want to see Peter's vision on screen! Frown

FarFromHome
Valinor

Aug 11 2007, 7:28pm

Post #9 of 87 (484 views)
Shortcut
I wish this news had never come to me [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide it whether to see the films that are given to us.

This sounds like typical Hollywood manoeuvring. Which makes me fear that we're going to get a typical Hollywood prequel. If we do, I'll be giving it a miss.

Let's hope there are other forces at work besides the will of New Line! Unsure

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Aug 11 2007, 8:03pm

Post #10 of 87 (503 views)
Shortcut
I wish it was Peter only... [In reply to] Can't Post

But that's better than nothing, from where I see it. If Peter, Fran and Phillippa write the scripts, they get WETA, Shore and the actors... then Raimi directing wouldn't be all that bad.

Not ideal, but hey, it's better than not having Jackson at all! We'll still have to wait for this to be confirmed or denied.

On an additional note we all have forgot one important thing: MGM. They've been awfully quiet lately.

Elven
Valinor

Aug 11 2007, 8:19pm

Post #11 of 87 (453 views)
Shortcut
MGM .... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just looking back through the threads and there was alot mentioned about MGM, but your right, a quiet camp presently ...
There has also been talk of collaborations with Spielberg ...
There was some reference also to New Line being in a similar financial position as they are now, prior to taking on LoTR ...
... and time lines ...

Im looking at time lines and others commitments and projects ... contracts expiring, hard one is synchronize on a sliding scale ...

Too many loose threads not enough fabric to any of this ... yet ....
Though Hope still remains ....

Tolkien was a Capricorn!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 11 2007, 10:05pm

Post #12 of 87 (418 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

look at what Andrew Adamson did as producer of Shrek 3 after directing the first two films.

I don't think we're going to get as good a Hobbit as a PJ-directed one.

:(

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Patty
Immortal

Aug 11 2007, 10:28pm

Post #13 of 87 (398 views)
Shortcut
I agree, Kareniel [In reply to] Can't Post

my thoughts exactly.

Riding with the Rohirrim!

Patty
Immortal

Aug 11 2007, 10:30pm

Post #14 of 87 (441 views)
Shortcut
Well done. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sly

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 12 2007, 11:31pm

Post #15 of 87 (397 views)
Shortcut
Good one! [In reply to] Can't Post

And let's hope we have more than a fool's hope Unsure.

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 12 2007, 11:50pm

Post #16 of 87 (435 views)
Shortcut
I'm up, I'm down ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't it odd how the pre-Hobbit story is turning out to be just as much of a nail-biter as the pre-LOTR story was!

At this point, I'm just really happy and excited that PJ is back involved. And it might still work out to be all his project. I certainly hope so. But from there I have to say: I trust his judgment; I don't think he'd agree to a deal that wasn't right. Perhaps, there is some reason why he doesn't want to do it all himself, maybe he wants to share it with someone else, as long as it's the right person. He is a great collaborator and must genuinely enjoy working with other people or he'd never have been able to manage through LOTR with the calm demeanor that everyone described - that has to be genuine. So... maybe it'll work and maybe it will mean that there will be that continuity that we PJ LOTR fans are looking for, for instance, regarding the "look and feel", Weta, sets, props and especially music, because that's just a must for me, Howard Shore must do the score Heart!

I guess that's where I am at this point. Happy that PJ is involved, that it will happen with him, and maybe only him. But if there is a deal, I trust both his business judgment and his artistic appreciation for Tolkien that he would not agree to or put his name to anything that wasn't in line with his creative vision.

hasufel
Rivendell

Aug 13 2007, 4:30pm

Post #17 of 87 (379 views)
Shortcut
eh [In reply to] Can't Post

Talk about conflicting emotions!

I am excited that the Hobbit appears to be moving forward.

But I am not enthralled with director/producer situation.

I will be very dissappointed in Jackson if this is just a way to line his pockets and satisafy his fans. Along the same vien it better not be a way to line his pockets in exchange for the sets etc..

I cannot believe that he would want to "half ass" this project. I thought the Hobbit and Lovely Bones were two projects he really held dear.

Maybe our fears could be put to rest by an explanation of what a producer's role is versus director. And who is responsible for writing, casting etc...

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 13 2007, 5:00pm

Post #18 of 87 (372 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

..The Empire Strikes Back was produced by George Lucas, but directed by Irvin Kershner and written by Lawrence Kasdan and Leigh Brackett. It is generally considered to be the best of the series. So a Jackson/Raimi collaboration could be a good thing. Frankly, though, I don't see Raimi as being available until 2011. He's just got too many projects he's in the middle of. The big question for me, though, is the script. If you want to make a decent movie you want a solid script long before you start thinking abou hiring a director. This seems like New Line is putting the cart before the horse, which is a bad thing.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

FarFromHome
Valinor

Aug 13 2007, 5:45pm

Post #19 of 87 (425 views)
Shortcut
Producing & directing [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe our fears could be put to rest by an explanation of what a producer's role is versus director. And who is responsible for writing, casting etc...

I'm pretty sure that producers can sometimes be very hands-on, and may even direct some scenes (in fact producer Barrie Osborne directed a few scenes in LotR, although I think a lot of producers are much more into the creative side of a movie than he was). For example I remember reading that Steven Spielberg, the producer of The Goonies, directed some of the crucial scenes.

Peter Jackson is acting as producer for his protégé Christian Rivers' directing debut, The Dam Busters. From articles such as this one, PJ seems to have put a lot of the creative vision into it.

I had wondered whether PJ might produce The Hobbit with another of his protégés (maybe one of the second-unit directors from LotR) as the director. That way, it could still be mostly PJ's creative vision without him having to do everything himself. Having someone like Sam Raimi would be a very different proposition, I'd have thought.

But as Darkstone says, surely the first thing is the script. Normally it seems that PJ spends a lot of time and thought developing a script well in advance of casting and filming. From a Sam Raimi interview I heard at the time of Spiderman 3 (when he said he wouldn't do a fourth unless he could find a new angle to develop for the script of the next movie), I assume he wouldn't want to start work without a developed script either. Is there going to be time to do this for The Hobbit before the rights expire? I guess the clock is ticking for New Line, but doing a rush job on The Hobbit wouldn't be to anyone's advantage as far as I can see.

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 13 2007, 5:57pm

Post #20 of 87 (340 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure that producers can sometimes be very hands-on, and may even direct some scenes...

There's an old joke in Hollywood that the real question should be "What *doesn't* a producer do?"

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Elven
Valinor

Aug 13 2007, 7:34pm

Post #21 of 87 (387 views)
Shortcut
Ive been sitting on the edge of my seat over this ... [In reply to] Can't Post

and it is an exciting time ... but my legs have gone to sleep Laugh ... well not really - maybe September will bring some news ... it seems to always be a snippet every couple of months ... it dies down, and then it starts again ... it keeps us sustained and interested ...

The lead up to this would be a great appendice for the movie/s on the DVD's Wink

Elven x

Tolkien was a Capricorn!

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Aug 13 2007, 10:23pm

Post #22 of 87 (372 views)
Shortcut
Yes... and no [In reply to] Can't Post

At this point, I believe Shaye thinks Jackson creative involvement means AT LEAST the script... so I believe they're already thinking of that as a given.

I also believe they want to see how far Jackson will go for the project, answering to their demands... whatever he agrees to do is good to them.

I have written to a couple other sites about the Raimi thing, and they haven't posted anything, which leads me to think IESB *could* be wrong, how trustworthy and accurate is the site? I'm not a regular.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Aug 13 2007, 10:48pm

Post #23 of 87 (398 views)
Shortcut
If Raimi isn't available till 2011... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that's well outside New Line's 'rights' window, isn't it? I though that was expiring in 2007 or 2008, meaning either they've gotten an extension from Zaentz or they need to get into high gear.

For that matter, Jackson's pretty tied up, too, isn't he? The real window was right after the success of RotK, when it would have been possible to schedule in something after Kong. But I get the impression that Jackson's up to his eyeballs in projects now.

Regarding the Star Wars stuff, Lucas has proven to be a terrible director. The episodes he's done are the worst. All he seems to give his actors is, "hit your mark and say your line." That is so not the case with Jackson.

Son of Elizabeth in Frodo's tree
March, 2007

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 14 2007, 2:36pm

Post #24 of 87 (365 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Jackson's only viable project at the moment seems to be The Lovely Bones. (Last I heard Halo was dead in the water financially and The Dambusters was stuck in "development heck".) By contrast Raimi is in the middle of a dozen active projects including a TV mini-series.

As for Lucas, he seems to quite intentionally make his characters act like two-dimensional stereotypes. Which ironically seems to be exactly what would make a lot of Tolkien purists very happy. Imagine Aragorn as written and directed by Lucas.

Patty
Immortal

Aug 14 2007, 5:03pm

Post #25 of 87 (319 views)
Shortcut
Isn't Jackson also doing something with [In reply to] Can't Post

Spielberg? That cartoon thing...sorry don't remember its name, I wanna say it was French.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.