Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I believe 'The Hobbit' issue is settled
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

SandWitch King
Rohan

Aug 11 2007, 5:52am

Post #1 of 32 (864 views)
Shortcut
I believe 'The Hobbit' issue is settled Can't Post

All of the pieces of this have fallen into place with a report at IESB.net about "The Hobbit" and while it may not be true, it just make a lot of sense.

According to the report, Peter Jackson will not direct 'The Hobbit' but he will produce it while Sam Raimi will direct it.

This is high drama!

http://www.iesb.net/...d=3042&Itemid=99

I wonder if this will please both sides of the great Jackson debate.

I have no proof but I do believe this is how things will shake down.

No wonder all writers want to direct: one still has to put up with a load of nonsense, but even if wearing two hats (writer and director), there is one under which one is not called a thief and then raped - David Mamet

frodo33
The Shire

Aug 11 2007, 7:09am

Post #2 of 32 (379 views)
Shortcut
Director has the vision - definitely not Sam Raimi [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam Raimi doesn't have any vision, at least for this project. The vision will be lost if Sam Directs. Peter Jackson should direct and Sam Raimi can deal with the business affairs, produce, or whatever. I say Sam go away...Geez!

http://www.travelpod.com/members/drmnsd
http://groups.myspace.com/thehobbitfilm

Eärwen Swan Maiden Of Alqualondë
Bree

Aug 11 2007, 8:29am

Post #3 of 32 (365 views)
Shortcut
Uggh! I am very sad to say this [In reply to] Can't Post

But for me, having Sam Raimi direct "The Hobbit" with PJ producing would be like trying to choke down a spoonful of alum by mixing in a little sugar. It just won't cut it.

Peek-A-Boo!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 11 2007, 12:59pm

Post #4 of 32 (394 views)
Shortcut
I've just read through the articles [In reply to] Can't Post

from the homepage, and I see this as the beginning of FINALLY getting this thing settled!!! *hands shaking, ears ringing*

Okay... Peter is the king of negotiations, so I don't think these preliminary reports are necessarily pointing to a final answer.

New Line's in trouble. That one report basically has them admitting they're in trouble and need another home run. Well, duh... The Hobbit is the World Series play they need, and they know it! Peter knows they know it. Raimi has already indicated he's interested but only with Peter's blessings. IF IF IF there is a collaboration between Peter and Raimi for New Line and The Hobbit, I'd like to think Peter would be given creative license and will use Raimi as his hands for getting it done. This is still assuming NL can get this moving before their time runs out next year.

I know there's also the sense of them fighting the real problem of time in terms of some of the players they want to be involved in the project being capable of reprising their roles. 3-5 more years of screwing around with politics and money arguments is not an option.

MGM and Zaentz are still out there. Who knows what behind-the-scenes talks they've all had with Peter about these latest developments? Peter knows the value of leaking information, news articles of possibilities, etc. to use as leverage to clear away the garbage and get down to serious decisions. I want to see what TBHL and Quint have to say! How about any influence Peter's affiliation with Steven Spielberg? NL didn't start changing their tune about Peter until after it was announced they were good buddies looking for future projects.

I see this as still preliminary and am not going to run with anything. It would benefit Raimi and NL to be affiliated in any way with a production of The Hobbit, but to suggest that Peter's influence on a final production would be from the sidelines is, imho, premature.

*twitch* This is just the start! Peter must have known it would come around to this at some point, so I'm sure he's already been getting his ducks in a row in anticipation of this stage of the development. I'm sure his meeting face-to-face sitting with Gandalf in Bag End would be a psychological, spiritual, and emotional shot in the arm about how he (Peter) really feels about letting The Hobbit go anywhere else but... literally... in his own backyard.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Aug 11 2007, 1:03pm)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 11 2007, 2:44pm

Post #5 of 32 (331 views)
Shortcut
If all's well between NL and PJ, why get another director ?? [In reply to] Can't Post

I seriously don't think Peter Jackson has waited this long just to be creatively involved in SOME way. I mean, come on, what's in it for PJ? He's repeatedly stated that he isn't in it for the money. If Newline thinks they can pay him off by just asking him to play on the sidelines as a way to appease PJ fans, I venture to say they're mistaken.

If everything really is fine between Newline and PJ, then why bother getting another director? There's something still not quite right about this. Some part of this puzzle is still known only to the key players, and I don't think one of them is (or should be) Raimi.

Why should PJ just be "involved in some way" if Newline has patched (or is working on patching) things up? Give him FULL CREATIVE FREEDOM - he knows what's to be dine, let him do it. Don't ask him to oversee that someone else does things right.

To conclude for now what I'm eager to discuss as and when news arrives, and with all due respect to Raimi, he is not required here. I trust PJ will get what he wants, and that means a Hobbit film that's entirely his own.

"Crows and Gibbets! What is the house of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires."

fmaximus
Rivendell

Aug 11 2007, 3:06pm

Post #6 of 32 (379 views)
Shortcut
How can New Line afford... [In reply to] Can't Post

to have two big time directors involved in one project. Even if one of them produces and the other one directs, they will both demand big bucks (which they should), considering it will be a major boxoffice hit.
Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to have one person (Peter) direct and produce the Hobbit?

RosieLass
Valinor

Aug 11 2007, 3:09pm

Post #7 of 32 (312 views)
Shortcut
It pleases me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I really want someone besides Peter Jackson to direct The Hobbit.

Oh Moon, lovely moon, with thy beautiful face,
Careering throughout the boundaries of space,
Whenever I see thee, I think in my mind,
Shall I ever, oh ever, behold thy behind.

--Edmund Gosse's house maid

http://mallika.vox.com/

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 11 2007, 3:40pm

Post #8 of 32 (327 views)
Shortcut
Let's hope this isn't the final word [In reply to] Can't Post

A PJ-produced Hobbit would have some of the flavor of PJ's LotR, but so much would still be lost. I like Sam Raimi and think he did a great job with the first two Spider-man movies, but I'm not ready to see him usurp PJ's Tolkien throne.

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Elizabeth
Valinor

Aug 11 2007, 8:38pm

Post #9 of 32 (301 views)
Shortcut
It could work. [In reply to] Can't Post

Raimi is said to be a long-time Tolkien fan himself, and his work on the Spidey movies has shown he has a good sense for character, even in a genre where most filmmakers toss character, plot, and script out the window to concentrate on sfx.

Jackson seems to be up to his ears in projects, and having a good time. I'm sure he can do anything he wants to do, now. His involvement will mean they can get essential continuity (e.g. using Hobbiton locations, Weta props, McKellan as Gandalf, etc.), and there seems to be a lot of mutual respect between him and Raimi.

I'm hopeful.

Son of Elizabeth in Frodo's tree
March, 2007

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 11 2007, 9:27pm

Post #10 of 32 (313 views)
Shortcut
It might be a time thing [In reply to] Can't Post

The rights are only tied up for so long, and PJ's going to be busy with the Lovely Bones for a while. But at least if he's attached as a producer he has some say - and I'm sure Raimi's no fool; he would know how much PJ's worth to the Tolkien franchise. And anyway, The Hobbit's a very different story from LOTR. With PJ around to ensure some continuity, a fresh look at Middle-earth might be a good thing for it. Because whatever happens The Hobbit's not going to be on the same scale as LOTR - we can't expect that.

Marlborough vineyards on a sunny winter's day.

IMG_1107

Patty
Immortal

Aug 11 2007, 10:06pm

Post #11 of 32 (264 views)
Shortcut
It wouldn't please me. I still hope to see PJ direct. [In reply to] Can't Post

And Raimi should grace a different project entirely. I just came from the dollar movies seeing Spiderman 3 (again) with my 9 year old GrandPatty and she set there picking out the plot holes. I don't want that for The Hobbit.

Riding with the Rohirrim!

(This post was edited by Patty on Aug 11 2007, 10:12pm)

SandWitch King
Rohan

Aug 11 2007, 10:35pm

Post #12 of 32 (268 views)
Shortcut
A good summary of my thoughts! [In reply to] Can't Post

Too bad for you we think alike. 8)Tongue

No wonder all writers want to direct: one still has to put up with a load of nonsense, but even if wearing two hats (writer and director), there is one under which one is not called a thief and then raped - David Mamet

Patty
Immortal

Aug 11 2007, 10:44pm

Post #13 of 32 (310 views)
Shortcut
I'm holding out hope that what Raimi just said at Comic Con the end of last month [In reply to] Can't Post

is still true. He said he was not involved.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 12 2007, 12:39pm

Post #14 of 32 (240 views)
Shortcut
*clings to Patty's post* // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

FarFromHome
Valinor

Aug 12 2007, 12:58pm

Post #15 of 32 (252 views)
Shortcut
I dunno. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just listened again to the video interview from Comic-con. I don't know if this is the source of the "not involved" quote, but in the video interview he never actually says he's not involved. Here's the relevant part:

Q: What's going on with The Hobbit? Any updates there?

SR: The last I heard New Line was in negotiations and ... [hesitates] ... I actually don't know what's happening right now.

Q: But that would be something you would want to do if everything worked out?

SR: Um, I just couldn't say at this time.

Listening to it again now, it sounds almost as if he did know something was happening, but couldn't talk about it.

PJ is a great collaborator, and for all we know maybe he and Raimi have the kind of understanding that could make the collaboration work. Raimi seems to have a very similar background to PJ, so they might well see eye-to-eye on a lot of things. So if PJ chooses to do this for good creative reasons, I'd still have hopes for The Hobbit. It's only if it turns out to to be some profit-oriented dealmaking that I'll give up hope. The trouble is, PJ has always said he wouldn't make a movie that was tied up with a lawsuit because it would destroy his creative passion for the project. If this turns out to be tied up with the lawsuit, then PJ's name on the masthead will be just be for show, I think, and the creative side of things will all be Raimi's. It looks like this is edge-of-the-knife time again....

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Annael
Half-elven

Aug 12 2007, 3:26pm

Post #16 of 32 (297 views)
Shortcut
*laughs quietly to herself* [In reply to] Can't Post

remembering furor over some unknown horror-film director from New Zealand being named to direct the LOTR films . . .

Everything humans say is myth. You don't even know the truth of your own life. Your memories are fading quickly. What happened yesterday is already nothing more than your incomplete interpretation of events . . . Think of myth as the longing that we all share.
- Gordon Atkinson

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Patty
Immortal

Aug 12 2007, 4:29pm

Post #17 of 32 (216 views)
Shortcut
I don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

if that's were this quote came or not. I hope the "not involved" is from somewhere else.

http://www.cinematical.com/2007/07/30/comic-con-resident-evil-extinction-30-days-of-night-and/

"During the questions, we learned that Sam Raimi is not involved in The Hobbit film,

Voorhas
Lorien

Aug 12 2007, 8:53pm

Post #18 of 32 (238 views)
Shortcut
True... [In reply to] Can't Post

...though Raimi's very much a known quantity by now, and his strengths, weakness and limitations are well known to anyone who's followed his career.

Heck, I like Darkman as much as the next guy.

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." -- E.A. Poe

(This post was edited by Voorhas on Aug 12 2007, 8:58pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 12 2007, 10:11pm

Post #19 of 32 (192 views)
Shortcut
*high five* Touche! But still.... ;)/ [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

SandWitch King
Rohan

Aug 12 2007, 10:26pm

Post #20 of 32 (229 views)
Shortcut
Don't put a lot of stock in that [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know the website, but VERY often, especially from Comic-Con, people hear something and they report what they think they heard. Plus, he was there to talk about other things.

SandWitch King
Rohan

Aug 12 2007, 10:28pm

Post #21 of 32 (244 views)
Shortcut
You should laugh loudly to everybody [In reply to] Can't Post

No matter how it turns out, there is a lot of humor in the situation. Hollywood is ridiculous and fascinating all at once.

Patty
Immortal

Aug 13 2007, 12:10am

Post #22 of 32 (204 views)
Shortcut
Yes, you're right of course. [In reply to] Can't Post

Fun times weren't they? And yet, you know, I feel even more invested this time, cause I've already seen an established view of Middle-earth and I don't want it changed.Heart

Ugly Troll
Bree

Aug 13 2007, 12:48am

Post #23 of 32 (251 views)
Shortcut
I have been wavering [In reply to] Can't Post

I love PJ and what he was able to accomplish with LOTR but....

I see a minimalist The Hobbit in my mind's eye, and I do not believe PJ can produce a movie about the Hobbit without making it too much of a grand spectacle to fit into my box.

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 13 2007, 2:16am

Post #24 of 32 (180 views)
Shortcut
I dunno [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see Bilbo flying around Mirkwood on spider silk competing with them spiders.

*Blink, blink........Sticks finger in ear and then shakes hand a lot*

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 13 2007, 4:34am

Post #25 of 32 (184 views)
Shortcut
Do you think... [In reply to] Can't Post

that Sam Raimi would produce something you would enjoy, or do you have another director in mind that you'd like to see take this on?

Silverlode

Between the acting of a dreadful thing
And the first motion, all the interim is
Like a phantasma, or a hideous dream:
The genius and the plan thus inspired
Depart me and I, entering a room,
Find myself on the threshold, stand still
And wonder what I came to do there.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.