Lord of the Rings Extended Editon Blu-ray review
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 1 2011, 6:48pm

Post #76 of 94 (5684 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen it yet. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Wifey is getting it for me for our anniversary.

Does your player have a gamma setting? Newer players, such as the Demon universal player, let you program in gamma values.

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
We sang as the soft gold of Laurelin
And the bright silver of Telperion,
Brought forth the dawn of the world.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
In my torment I kept faith,
And I waited.
But you never came.
And when I returned you drew sword,
And when I called your names you drew bow.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
I will return your hatred,
And I am hungry.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 1 2011, 7:53pm

Post #77 of 94 (5687 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure. It's a Sony S550, so a few years old... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to check.

What a nice wifey to get that for you! Smile

Permanent address: Into the West

Kendalf
Rohan

Jul 2 2011, 7:37am

Post #78 of 94 (5763 views)
Shortcut
Dark picture [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry. I don't want to contradict Darkstone, but I'm pretty certain that to make a picture brighter you need to increase the gamma, not decrease it. Check; maybe I'm wrong. If I'm not, doing that (a little, not to the max) and watching it in the dark will certainly help alleviate the darkness issues that concern you.

I finally watched the whole thing last night, in the dark. Like you, and like I've suggested before, I found that the tints aren't quite so bad when you come across them in the film as your eyes have already adjusted to the new tones before you reach them. Did the Midgewater Marshes (inc. second breakfast) look quite as bad as I used to think they did? No, actually, they didn't. Did the distant Misty Mountains glow blue? Not particularly.

I'm going to watch Two Towers tonight, though. If it "looks" noticeably different from Fellowship, I'll still not be happy with the new tinting / grading...

Patty
Immortal

Jul 2 2011, 7:56pm

Post #79 of 94 (5700 views)
Shortcut
If there is anybody else who feels the transfer on FotR isn't up to par... [In reply to] Can't Post

please send a polite message to..

http://www.warnerbros.com/main/help/customer_service.html

I don't know that it will help, but hey, this is my favorite movie of all and I want it to look perfect. Right now, to me, it is simply too dark.

Kendalf
Rohan

Jul 3 2011, 8:54am

Post #80 of 94 (5654 views)
Shortcut
Fellowship vs Towers [In reply to] Can't Post

@Patty
Thanks for that link, Patty. I've sent off my enquiry asking, essentially, whether the tints were intended to be as strong as they've turned out being, the contrast as extreme and whether they've considered the visual continuity of the trilogy...

Because it seems to me, having watched Two Towers last night, that they simply haven't. Fellowship was clearly remastered without a second glance at Towers and King and, as a direct result, the overall unity of the trilogy has been broken.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 3 2011, 4:59pm

Post #81 of 94 (5632 views)
Shortcut
Now some are saying that the better thing to do is... [In reply to] Can't Post

post a polite protest on PJ's facebook page.

Whatever.Unsure

Kendalf
Rohan

Jul 4 2011, 9:50pm

Post #82 of 94 (5625 views)
Shortcut
Using Facebook... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, we've already got identical Discussion threads going on both PJ's page and the official LotR page entitiled "Is there an excessive green tint on Fellowship...or not?". I was as polite as I could be with the title and hope I've been as polite in all my posts so far, too!

The LotR webmasters posted an official WB statement on the thread on their page on release day (proving they'd noticed it) stating that everything was fine but, so far, PJ hasn't posted anything at all, either in the thread or on his Wall.

I'm not sure where to post a protest if not in the existing Discussion thread. I can't believe PJ reads all 1,000-plus responses to his updates on his Wall so posting in those Comments sections seems pretty ineffectual to me.

Are you thinking of a new Discussion thread? Maybe called something like "Peter! Please address the colour issue!! Now!!!"? Unsure

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 5 2011, 4:09am

Post #83 of 94 (5599 views)
Shortcut
Choose One Definitive Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I suggest folks target a specific complaint as an example of why people believe that while the color grading on the FOTR EE Blu-ray was intentional, there may have been injudicious or mistaken use of it on top of at least some of the film. Make it something that doesn't require more than a few minutes of attention.

It seems the consistently definitive scene in most people's minds is "Second Breakfast." I'd ask Peter Jackson, "Please take a look a the 'Second Breakfast' scene on the FOTR EE Blu-ray and tell us whether the color grading of that scene now exactly matches your intent compared to the FOTR EE DVD." You might add a second sentence to that stating your own experience, but keep it short and to the point so that the question cannot be misunderstood or evaded. Something like "My experience is diminished because it is now so dark and dreary too early on in the film, and did you really want blue eyeballs?" or whatever your own complaint is.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Jul 5 2011, 4:14am)

Kendalf
Rohan

Jul 5 2011, 10:03pm

Post #84 of 94 (5586 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

@JWPlatt
Thanks for those suggestions. I've started knocking some ideas around in my head and may post them here first to see what people think.

On a side note: Did anyone here notice an article on the front page a couple of days ago linking to another website's discussion of the colour-grading issue? "At last!" I thought to myself, before reading the article and discovering that, whilst it made some valid points, it also took every opportunity to ridicule those who had been concerned about it and discussing it in forums such as these.

I made a Comment on the article to express my disappointment that TORn had chosen to link to that article of all those it could have linked to but, whilst waiting for it to be moderated, the article has disappeared. Am I missing something? Has it been taken down?

Patty
Immortal

Jul 5 2011, 10:21pm

Post #85 of 94 (5577 views)
Shortcut
Kendalf, I don't see the link either. If it has been taken down... [In reply to] Can't Post

I congratulate TORn for re-thinking our link to it. It was highly insulting (I wish I had a dime for all the times I've heard persistent, geeky people called sex-deprived. My husband and I would be rich!) I was beginning to think I had spent the last 12 years at the wrong place.

For what it's worth, I'm just going to drop how unhappy I am with this long awaited and hoped for release. It's obvious it's too dark, although I guess my eyes adjusted to the tint ( except on the open book menu--it looks just ludicrous there). It's the darkness that has made me upset, and the repeated places denying it and acting like those of us who are unsatisfied with the look of one of our favorite movies of all time "just need to get a life". I'm done. I'll sit back quietly and hope that Warner cares enough to get this fixed. I guess that's what they want us to do.

I think someone needs to start a new thread about this here, though, cause with this one having dropped off the page it's hard to tell when a new post has come.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 5 2011, 10:59pm

Post #86 of 94 (5554 views)
Shortcut
Side Note [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Kendalf: On a side note: Did anyone here notice an article on the front page a couple of days ago linking to another website's discussion of the colour-grading issue? "At last!" I thought to myself, before reading the article and discovering that, whilst it made some valid points, it also took every opportunity to ridicule those who had been concerned about it and discussing it in forums such as these.

Yes, I wrote Altaira and Xoanon about that article. Altaira replied and deleted the associated forum thread and I guess Xoanon took care of the Home Page article, but I haven't heard back. If others also complained, I'm sure it was the combined community sensibilities they wished to respect.

I wrote:

Hi,

There is a forum thread about admining/modding and respect that inspired me to write you. I am disappointed that TheOneRing.net would choose to post an article on its home page trivializing the color grading issue and characterizing those who think it is an issue as sexually deficient and utter fools. Would that really hold up as a forum post, let alone front page news?

Thanks

Kudos to their kind response.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Jul 5 2011, 11:02pm)

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Jul 6 2011, 12:12am

Post #87 of 94 (5527 views)
Shortcut
Done. // [In reply to] Can't Post

NAArP since 2011*

*Not An Ardent Purist

Patty
Immortal

Jul 6 2011, 12:53am

Post #88 of 94 (5611 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, JW--I admit to just having set back and cringed. [In reply to] Can't Post

unfortunately, it wasn't removed as a TORn link before other sites saw it. I saw it linked to TORn on either HomeTheaterForum or Blu-ray.com. At least they won't get any place if they still follow that link here.

(This post was edited by Patty on Jul 6 2011, 12:56am)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 6 2011, 7:27am

Post #89 of 94 (5551 views)
Shortcut
That just sounds weird... [In reply to] Can't Post

"It's obvious it's too dark, although I guess my eyes adjusted to the tint ( except on the open book menu--it looks just ludicrous there)."

If there really is a tint on the menu, then I think it makes this whole thing seem even more like a mistake. Why would they even go back to change the look of the menu? It sounds like there's something else going on other than the changes PJ and Andrew Lesnie apparently worked on.

Sharky
Bree

Jul 11 2011, 6:48pm

Post #90 of 94 (5550 views)
Shortcut
FOTR Vs ROTK flashback scene comparisons... [In reply to] Can't Post

Some good comparison shots between FOTR and the ROTK flashback sequences here...

AVS Forum - The Lord Of The Rings Extended.

A new review, with screencaps:

Land of Whimsy - BD Impressions: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Extended Edition).

And here we find you, feasting and... smoking!

(This post was edited by Sharky on Jul 11 2011, 6:49pm)

Patty
Immortal

Jul 12 2011, 6:31am

Post #91 of 94 (5512 views)
Shortcut
and... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/6708/fotr1.png comparisons.

I know I said I wasn't going to say any more about this but I can't keep silent about it because it makes me mad. Some of these comparison shots I can accept--I don't like them, but can accept them. But note for example the last one, where Gandalf is about to knock on Bilbo's door. It's so much darker on the EE that it's unacceptable.

I see that the majority of folks on-line seem to feel FOTR looks great, though, so it seems to be a personal thing. I hope one day Warner Bros. will make a disc available with HD sharpening but without the darkness and tint. I doubt it will happen, though, because most seem to like it.

Sarn Ford
The Shire

Jul 18 2011, 4:44am

Post #92 of 94 (5505 views)
Shortcut
see it on youtube [In reply to] Can't Post

I have not seen the BD but there is a comparison of DVD vs BD versions on youtube.
You can google "LOTR - Green Cast Comparison (Extended Left vs Theatrical Right)" or go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwcm-73kZE8
It looks pretty significant. Others have said that there are "crushed" blacks in darker scenes so you can't see much sometimes.
The grass in the Shire looks like spring (dark green) as opposed to summer (lighter with a hint of yellow) but the wood, stones, and "roads" have lost all red. Reds look darker. Gandalf's beard looks funny, the sky looks dull.
Interesting, on one of the interviews with PJ (perhaps when talking about color grading? the film), he mentions how adding a bit or red makes everything look warmer,
but this looks like a bit of red was taken out.
Maybe I will "rent" it from Netflix, but I am guessing that I will be waiting for a different Fellowship before I buy.Unsure

Matt

Sarn Ford
The Shire

Jul 30 2011, 5:50pm

Post #93 of 94 (5489 views)
Shortcut
fixed? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have seen posts where people updated or backdated their BD Live firmware and/or disabled it. The problem goes away.Evil

Matt

Zizix
Rivendell

Aug 1 2011, 10:47pm

Post #94 of 94 (5684 views)
Shortcut
These orcs [In reply to] Can't Post

Where do they appear in the movies? I have a poster hanging on my wall featuring one of them, but I don't remember seeing them in any scene. Are they promo-pic-only?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.